Disneyland Paris vs Disneyland Anaheim 1955

darrelljon

Original Poster
I've heard the Disneyland Paris of today is the park most similar to Walt's original Disneyland Anaheim when it opened in 1955. Can anyone add anything to this?

The Empress Lilly

I've heard the Disneyland Paris of today is the park most similar to Walt's original Disneyland Anaheim when it opened in 1955. Can anyone add anything to this?
Well, DLP is not quite comparable to vintage DL.

But it does feel a remnant of a more elegant Disney age. Spared so much of the idiocy, greed, and infantilisation of the two US parks:
- few exits through gift shops
- no DVC booths
- very few food carts
- benches
- classic rides
- a park designed with optimalisation of the guest experience in mind, rather than designed to squeeze him for all he's worth
- no upcharge events
- very little vip spaces and paid fireworks spots...err...dessert parties
- everything is not in Spanish
- no strollers everywhere, no scooters
- Pirates rather than Jack Sparrow
- legacy fastpass, limited to just a handful of rides

^^ several of these no longer true as of this year, most others under threat. TWDC, that dollar hungry corporation ran by creative midgets, has seized control and seems hellbent on eradicating everything authentic Disney from DLP.

donsullivan

Premium Member
With things falling apart and attractions being down...Yeah...It's EXACTLY Like 1955...But, at least they didn't deal with a plumbers strike...

What is falling apart at Disneyland Paris? I was there twice this spring and found it to look just as beautiful as it did the day it opened in 1992. I know it had a history of neglect through the 2000's but it's not like that any more. It's absolutely gorgeous right now and from my experience is the most beautiful of the Magic Kingdom parks Disney has ever built.

Cmdr_Crimson

What is falling apart at Disneyland Paris? I was there twice this spring and found it to look just as beautiful as it did the day it opened in 1992. I know it had a history of neglect through the 2000's but it's not like that any more. It's absolutely gorgeous right now and from my experience is the most beautiful of the Magic Kingdom parks Disney has ever built.

There was talk about how bad the Mark Twain riverboat looked like as it was "falling apart"...Not sure it is now...But, it did at one point...
from micechat
082.jpg

Kev1982

Nicest park for sure, especially after the big efforts to clean it up and restore it, could do with some new attractions though. And off course right next to one of the ugliest parks... (althoug Hollywood Studios is worse in my opinion).

Goofyernmost

Well, DLP is not quite comparable to vintage DL.

But it does feel a remnant of a more elegant Disney age. Spared so much of the idiocy, greed, and infantilisation of the two US parks:
- few exits through gift shops
- no DVC booths
- very few food carts
- benches
- classic rides
- a park designed with optimalisation of the guest experience in mind, rather than designed to squeeze him for all he's worth
- no upcharge events
- very little vip spaces and paid fireworks spots...err...dessert parties
- everything is not in Spanish
- no strollers everywhere, no scooters
- Pirates rather than Jack Sparrow
- legacy fastpass, limited to just a handful of rides

^^ several of these no longer true as of this year, most others under threat. TWDC, that dollar hungry corporation ran by creative midgets, has seized control and seems hellbent on eradicating everything authentic Disney from DLP.
You left out... people smoking everywhere. Also, not anywhere near as primitive as the 1955 Disneyland. They do have more of a fixation of western themes in DLP, but, I didn't notice any stage coaches wandering about.

Oh, and although you don't hear any Spanish, the equivalent in France would be English. Different language, same situation. For us US visitors, there's also that pesky French. What are they thinking!

Some of the others are due to lack of demand. DLP will never have the demand that WDW has. Fastpass? Different culture, very few Type A personalities that must speed through life and miss everything worth experiencing.

Nothing was less elegant then the original Disneyland. We have distorted thought about it, based on what we see now, but, it was just a fancy amusement park... unique in presentation, but, compared to today... anything but elegant. What it had was more class then the normal parks that existed. If compared to todays standards even 6 flags would be more elegant. DLP is a really nice park, but, not great which explains why it got in the position of being taken over by the "creative midgets". But, when it comes to Disney there is a lot of small thinking.

donsullivan

Premium Member
There was talk about how bad the Mark Twain riverboat looked like as it was "falling apart"...Not sure it is now...But, it did at one point...
from micechat
082.jpg
I saw nothing in the park in that state of disrepair when I was there in April and late May. I did not however see the Mark Twain at all during either visit so it's unclear what it's current state is. Only the Molly Brown was on the river during my visits.

UpAllNight

I think the biggest shock for Americans coming to Disneyland Paris is that the French just aren't as 'into it' as Americans. But the main park is gorgeous.

JustObeyGames

And i always have a feeling most cast members see Disneyland Paris as "work" because they need it. In most other parks it's a dream to work there because they are all fans of the park. You can clearly see it in there faces, some people just hate to work there and will give you the glare of death if you dare to ask them were the toilets are. They have a more dead look than those Hollywood tower hotel bellboys.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Nothing was less elegant then the original Disneyland. We have distorted thought about it, based on what we see now, but, it was just a fancy amusement park... unique in presentation, but, compared to today... anything but elegant. What it had was more class then the normal parks that existed. If compared to todays standards even 6 flags would be more elegant. DLP is a really nice park, but, not great which explains why it got in the position of being taken over by the "creative midgets". But, when it comes to Disney there is a lot of small thinking.
Well, they pretty much had everything working by the time of my first visit, in 1973... And it still has the imprimatur of being "Walt's Park," even with the tweaks and tinkering of the past several years.

Goofyernmost

Well, they pretty much had everything working by the time of my first visit, in 1973... And it still has the imprimatur of being "Walt's Park," even with the tweaks and tinkering of the past several years.
Undeniably, but, lets not make it into this ultra fancy, high tech, thing that it wasn't at the time. It was different, the emphasis was on clean and a whole lot less sleazy then the parks that were in operation at the time, but, perfection or the degree of beauty that it has today is starkly missing in the early years.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom