Disneyland Paris v. WDW

WDWFigment

Original Poster
I'm about two weeks overdue with this, and I fear if I don't at least start it now, it'll never happen, so here goes. I'll start with general impressions of DLRP, then compare/contrast with WDW for those familiar with WDW who might be considering a visit...​
My wife and I traveled to Disneyland Resort Paris (DLRP) as part of a trip to Paris and London over Thanksgiving (which, oddly, Europe doesn't seem to celebrate). We spent three days in DLRP, visiting Disneyland Paris (DLP) for most of those three days, and the Walt Disney Studios Park (WDS) for a few hours.​
Prior to the trip, I solicited a lot of feedback from various friends of mine who have been there, who helped immensely in the planning. Thanks to those of you who helped who are reading this!​
I was a bit apprehensive about the visit at first, as I've heard of and seen a lot of decay (http://www.parkeology.com/2011/04/fading-star.html) in the past. Although I've never really followed DLRP too closely, this had always seemed to be what I have heard most about the resort.​
However, we found cheap IND>CDG...LHR>IND airfare earlier this fall, so we decided to jump on the opportunity.​
I'm very glad we did, as we did not notice much of the decay and assorted other problems that have been reported over the years.​
Overall, DLP seemed like it was in excellent shape. I didn't notice any non-working effects in any attraction besides PotC, which sporadically was without its swinging pirate during our visit, and Mystic Manor, which was without its headless "Dreamfinder" Mayor for the duration of our trip. That said, I have never watched any ride-through videos of DLRP attractions, so other things could have been missing or not working and could have gone unnoticed by me.​
Overall, maintenance/cleanliness seemed solid within DLP. There was some random moss in a few places where it shouldn't have been, but considering the weather in Marne-la-Vallee (MLV), this wasn't *too* bad. We also noticed some "tagging" in a few queues, which was disappointing. Outside of the parks, around the hotels and in the Village, cleanliness was worse.​
The bigger issue, though, was lighting. DLP has a great deal of lighting, especially popcorn lights, and an inordinate number of these lights (except on the Main Street buildings themselves) were burnt out. I know there's some debate on the significance of this, but it was not a minor number of lights that were burnt out in some places. Not as bad as the Grand Floridian, but not just one or two here or there. It was bad enough that I couldn't read the lit marquee for the Plaza Garden Restaurant at night. At was also fairly bad on the Disneyland Hotel, which serves as a gateway to DLP. Even entire strands of lights on the brand new Christmas garland were not working!​
Dining options were also pretty bad in DLP. We ate at Walt's and Blue Lagoon and our meals were so bad at each of these restaurants that we nixed plans for California Grill and Inventions (we still ate at the latter for breakfast). I've heard that dining at DLRP is just so-so, but these meals were truly bad, and I consider myself somewhat forgiving of Disney dining. If you go to DLRP, save your dining budget for (real) Paris, where the food is amazing just about everywhere.​
After this, we ate exclusively at CS restaurants, and were pleasantly surprised by these (we heard burgers were universally awful at CS, so we avoided those). None of the restaurants served mindblowing cuisine, and there wasn't much unique fare, but it was palatable, and not too expensive. Toad Hall was the single-coolest CS restaurant I've ever experienced (it's better than Mr. Toad's Wild Ride at Disneyland...really!), and the fish and chips were solid there. Other restaurants are similarly amazingly detailed, and are worth visiting just to see (we were able to step inside each of them before they opened, as the doors were unlocked). Restaurants were randomly closed on certain days, but apparently you can call and get a schedule. Earl of Sandwich is actually the best dining option (I know it doesn't seem right to go to France and then eat at an American chain, but all of the in-park food is American, and at least Earl is good and reasonably priced), and it has free WiFi.​
So the tone of this might sound negative up until now...don't let that dissaude you from going. In general, though, DLP was incredible. It was the most detailed Disneyland-style park of the three I've experienced, and the only thing that prevents it from topping Disneyland as my favorite Disney theme park is the dining and the issue with the lights. The detail and artisanship of DLP is amazing. We spent an inordinate amount of time on Main Street, which is brimming with detail, and has multiple layers of storytelling (not the contrived type, either). Frontierland is the same way, and although Phantom Manor is a substantial departure from other Haunted Mansions, but it works (it's backstory is a tad more contrived, but still solid). Fantasyland is sprawling and beautiful ('it's a small world's' holiday overlay was disappointing, as was the set art in general...and I'm not really a huge Mary Blair fan). Discoveryland is a brilliant take on the Tomorrowland concept, and I loved the look of Space Mountain, even if the ride beat up my ears pretty badly.​
I know I'm glossing over these, but I'll answer any questions you have about particular lands in more detail...​
Disney Dreams is incredible and uses technology brilliantly. The story is sort of flimsy, but I appreciate that there is a story rather than a random montage.​
DLP looks beautiful for Christmas, and even its 20 year old tree (I hear they're getting a new one next year) doesn't show its age too badly. The new Christmas Cavalcade is cute, but nothing special. Overall, Magic Kingdom and Disneyland both do much more for Christmas, but DLP is definitely no slouch.​
What really impressed me is the layers and layers of detail wherever you looked. Shops, restaurants, queues, etc., were all designed with meticulous attention to detail. I can see why that park cost so much. The Castle is beyond incredible. The park is amazing.​
Then, you go next door to WDS. That park is worse than DCA 1.0. I had heard bad things about it, and suspected people were exaggerating. They were not. The park is a mess in every conceivable way and needs some serious placemaking. We spent three hours there, and that was about 2 too many. Crush's Coaster was okay, but it's really overrated and probably wasn't worth the 30 minute wait we endured in its largely generic queue.​
The stark contrast between WDS and DLP was really surprising. Toad Hall, alone, is probably more detailed than all of WDS. Hopefully the Ratatouille dark ride and its surrounding area will make things better...​
We stayed in Sequoia Lodge at the recommendation of @marni1971 who said it was recently refurbished, and it was an excellent choice. I visited every single other hotel (but not the campground), and I definitely think we made the right decision. For a value resort, Cheyenne was pretty cool, but for the price and distance from the parks, you'd be better off staying in Val d'Europe and taking the train. (We stayed there our first night in a beautiful, brand new hotel for less than it would have cost to stay at the Cheyenne.) All of the other hotels besides Disenyland Hotel seem fairly dated (especially the distinctly-Graves Hotel New York). Hotel Santa Fe is downright creepy as many of the buildings are closed to the public as it undergoes a massive rennovation. DLH is pretty, but not pretty enough for its nightly price. So my suggestion here for anyone using this as a trip planning post would be Sequoia or off-site.​
Disney Village is a mix of old and new. The World of Disney store is brand new, but there are several dated stores nearby.​
As far as overall layout goes, DLRP is a mix of DLR and WDW. It's small enough that you can walk everywhere, but there are more hotels than at DLR. It's still much closer in nature to DLR than it is WDW.​
A lot of people have asked me about Cast Members and other guests. In general, we found the French to be great. That said, I always made an effort to initiate every conversation in French, and concede after a couple sentences that I comprehend a little French and can't speak it well. At this point, most gladly spoke English. If you approach people and immediately start speaking English, don't expect the same results. Then again, how many of you are extremely pleasant to folks who come up to you and only speak another language? In our experience, the popular sentiment that the French are rude is a myth. If you're disrespectful to them, many will be rude. Isn't that true in any society, though?​
In DLRP, almost every Cast Member can speak enough English to assist guests.​
The CMs were definitely not as cheery as US Cast Members, but we didn't mind this at all. I'd rather have real enthusiasm than feigned enthusiasm, and at least you know that's what you're getting when you encounter an enthusiastic CM in DLRP. None of them were rude to us, but we also didn't hear many say "have a magical day!" Personally, this is something I don't need. I'd rather have an awesome park to experience than 20 people tell me to have a magical day. YMMV on that.​
Another thing I noticed was that there weren't many strollers and I didn't notice a single ECV. I'm not going to open a can of worms by commenting on this, so I'll let it speak for itself...​
Other guests were generally fine, too. There's a lot of smoking in the park. I've heard of guests walking on grass and throwing trash on the ground, but I didn't notice this. We went during a particularly slow season, so there was really no need to walk on grass.​
This is already really long, but I think this is a good start.​
One caveat I want to add before concluding is that although I pay close attention to detail in the parks, I know there were things I didn't notice. I know this because I've since looked at some DLRP forums (auto-translate in Chrome is such an awesome feature) and people have pointed these things out. Some, like the large apparatus that secures the garland strands, were so obvious that I can't believe I missed them. I'm sure there were some other things.​
In closing, I think DLRP is often overshadowed by TDR, and I can understand that. But DLP is a really special park that's definitely worth a visit if traveling to Europe. The rest of DLRP is interesting, too, but nothing around which I'd plan a visit. A serious Disney fan could spend a ton of time exploring DLP, though.​
EDIT: I forgot about the WDW comparison. This is already too long, but in DLP v. MK, DLP trounces MK. Hotel-wise and dining-wise, WDW is superior. Maintenance-wise, I'll give a slight edge to DLP.​

Tiggerfanatic

Great report. I was just there this past September, and really enjoyed it. Wasn't the little surprise in the basement of the castle great? I agree about the food, we ended up eating at Planet Hollywood and Rainforest Cafe! I did have a burger at the Food Court at the Studios, and it was as good as some I've had here at home. We stayed at Sequioa also, at Marni's recommendation, and liked the proximity to the parks. All in all, it was worth the trip, even though I didn't see much of France itself!

littleacceb

Thanks, that was really interesting to read. Noted re: Walt's. I think we'll just go with CS. Definitely agree that the French aren't rude, they're just more about getting on with things than with the niceties.

That's interesting about the smoking - I didn't notice it last time (and I was pregnant and super-aware of smells!) but that may have been because there were about 200 people in the parks.

BTW - instead of Thanksgiving, we have Harvest Festival. There's no day off, just a special church service, and children bring canned goods to school to donate to food banks. We have started having Black Friday introduced by American companies like Amazon, but I'm abstaining until someone cooks me a giant turkey the day before.

WDWFigment

Original Poster
Thanks, that was really interesting to read. Noted re: Walt's. I think we'll just go with CS. Definitely agree that the French aren't rude, they're just more about getting on with things than with the niceties.

That's interesting about the smoking - I didn't notice it last time (and I was pregnant and super-aware of smells!) but that may have been because there were about 200 people in the parks.

BTW - instead of Thanksgiving, we have Harvest Festival. There's no day off, just a special church service, and children bring canned goods to school to donate to food banks. We have started having Black Friday introduced by American companies like Amazon, but I'm abstaining until someone cooks me a giant turkey the day before.

Of course I'm kidding about Thanksgiving. I'm not quite that much of a cultural imperialist that I think other countries should celebrate American Thanksgiving. Although waiting for us in our room at the Churchill in London was an apple pie and bottle of Jack Daniels. :)

I have heard mixed things about Walt's. It's worth dining there for the experience alone, and I've heard many others say they've had good meals there. So ours could have been an anomaly. Plus, despite having heard negative things about the CS burgers before our trip, I did order a burger there, but it was billed as a gourmet burger topped with foie gras. My wife's meal was a tad better, but it was still pretty bad.

wiigirl

Great report! :)
75.gif

J_Carioca

It was really interesting to read this as I've thought about going to DLP. I was really surprised to read your comments about the detail in the park - you really sold me! Gotta go now.
BTW, why did Space mountain beat up your ears? Is it different than the WDW SM?

jharvey

Death match time, how does it stack up to Tokyo Disneyland. Am I getting shortchanged because I did not take Japanese, French, or Californian in school?

Bolna

Thanks for the review!

I absolutely agree with you about the beauty of DLP - but not so totally on the maintenance. I was there twice this year and the problem is that there are so many corners where you can see the neglect of 20 years. But then - just like some WDW old-timers - I do have the blessing (or disadvantage) of being able to compare DLP of 2012 with the one of the 90s. And it does not compare well. I think the lighting issue you mentioned is one of the areas where it becomes obvious. Others are doors that are more or less rotting on the bottom, bathrooms that just need to be redone as they have an upleasant odor which I can only assume comes from years and years of not cleaning as often as necessary etc. In no way do I think that the place is a dump though!!! I just always wish the park would be kept in pristine conditions!!

I agree with what you say about the French as I never experienced them to be rude. However, I sometimes find the lack of (faked) enthusiasm a little bit of a let down. But I think this is very much my European perspective. My first trip to a Disney park was to DL in 1992 and I came back absolutely enchanted by the park but also by the atmosphere - and smiling, happy CM wishing me a magical day were part of the experience as this was something I never ever had experienced here in Germany! :)

WDWFigment

Original Poster
It was really interesting to read this as I've thought about going to DLP. I was really surprised to read your comments about the detail in the park - you really sold me! Gotta go now.

Space Mountain is totally different than WDW's. The inversions rattled me up pretty good.

WDWFigment

Original Poster
Death match time, how does it stack up to Tokyo Disneyland. Am I getting shortchanged because I did not take Japanese, French, or Californian in school?

Haven't been to TDR (yet), but from everything I've heard, Tokyo DisneySea is the best theme park on the planet. Tokyo Disneyland is a hybrid of 1980s Disneyland and Magic Kingdom, with pieces of it selected menu style by the OLC prior to building the park, plus a few new (incredible) attractions like Hunny Hunt and Monsters, Inc. Ride & Go Seek.

WDWFigment

Original Poster
Thanks for the review!

I absolutely agree with you about the beauty of DLP - but not so totally on the maintenance. I was there twice this year and the problem is that there are so many corners where you can see the neglect of 20 years. But then - just like some WDW old-timers - I do have the blessing (or disadvantage) of being able to compare DLP of 2012 with the one of the 90s. And it does not compare well. I think the lighting issue you mentioned is one of the areas where it becomes obvious. Others are doors that are more or less rotting on the bottom, bathrooms that just need to be redone as they have an upleasant odor which I can only assume comes from years and years of not cleaning as often as necessary etc. In no way do I think that the place is a dump though!!! I just always wish the park would be kept in pristine conditions!!

I agree with what you say about the French as I never experienced them to be rude. However, I sometimes find the lack of (faked) enthusiasm a little bit of a let down. But I think this is very much my European perspective. My first trip to a Disney park was to DL in 1992 and I came back absolutely enchanted by the park but also by the atmosphere - and smiling, happy CM wishing me a magical day were part of the experience as this was something I never ever had experienced here in Germany! :)

I'll be the first to admit that I am not familiar enough with DLP to spot all of the maintenance issues that a regular might be able to see. To my untrained eye, things didn't look too bad. Certainly not nearly as many issues as there were in 2011 when that Parkology post to which I linked was written. I think we benefited a lot from refurbishments for the 20th anniversary.

Our first few trips, the enthusiasm of the WDW Cast Members really helped "make" the trips. The novelty of it wears off, and knowing that some of it is fake (not all of it--I know plenty of CMs who really, really love their jobs and are actually enthusiastic) makes it lose its luster, too.

AndyS2992

Space Mountain at Disneyland Paris is comparable to Rock N Rollercoaster, launched start, several inversions, special effects inside, onboard soundtrack, dark etc. Extremely fast and rough ride lol Best Space Mountain :)

Azerin

Glad to hear a bit more about your trip :)

Just a few thoughts/comments:

1) First sorry to hear your food was awful at Walts and Blue Lagoon... when we have eaten there the food wasn't amazing but it was good; however, maybe we have been lucky as we don't eat at the table service restaurants in the parks that often for various reasons (cost, time, lack of things on the menu we like, etc)... the one restaurant we do eat at often is Inventions which has always been good for us so I am also sorry to hear you decided to skip it (hopefully the breakfast was good tho :) ). I completely agree with the amazing theming in the counter service restaurants :)

2) As far as maintenance... things aren't perfect; however, they are leaps and bounds better than they were a couple years ago... they have come a really long way in a short period of time (but admittedly still have work to do... you can't undo a decade of neglect overnight)... I feel like a lot of things now you might not notice unless you are looking for them and I also think a lot of people don't give them enough credit for what they have done recently. They also seem to be continuing on the maintenance front so hopefully things will continue to improve.

For example:

Spring 2010:

DLP Spring 2010 - Welcome to Adventureland by PeterPanFan, on Flickr

Spring 2012:

DLP April 2012 - Exploring Adventureland by PeterPanFan, on Flickr

3) Disney Village is in a bit of a transition phase right now... as you said the World of Disney is brand new (and I think it is great); however, it made a number of stores in Disney Village redundant and I know they are looking to make some big changes to the rest of the village; however, they had to wait for WoD to be done first... I have never liked the theming in Disney Village so I am really hoping they carry over the WoD theming when they redo parts of it.

4) Studios... I have mixed feelings about Studios... As much as I love Parc Disneyland and Disneyland Paris in general WDS still probably ranks as my least favorite park out of the 11 parks world wide (I have been to all of them multiple times). I think it very much needs a ton of placemaking and supposedly they have plans to make a lot of improvements that start with Ratatouille... I am hoping they don't wait until it is done to start work on everything else. I definitely agree that most of the park has a lack of theming... I also think it suffers greatly from doing everything as cheaply as possible at the start and some of the original designs make the other problems a lot worse. For example I like Studio 1; however, it makes a hard separation between the front of the park (which I think is one of the best areas of the park) and the rest... this makes the park feel tiny... it is small to begin with for sure but the overall layout of the park and Studio 1 makes it feel even smaller. That being said... they *have* made a lot of improvements to the park and as shocking as this may be it is far better than it was when it opened based on everything I have seen/heard. Also, it does have a number of unique attractions that I like a lot. I know you thought Crush was overrated; however, I love Animagique and while I personally think it is overrated I know most people love Cinemagique so I am sorry it sounds like you didn't get a chance to see those (guessing since you were only in the park for 3 hours LOL). Also, there are a good number of big attractions (ToT, Rockin Roller Coaster, Stunt Show, etc) so overall I think it isn't so bad as far as attractions; however, it is missing a lot of the "filler" that really makes a Disney park a Disney park. I think there is potential there but for it to become a really good park they are going to have to make some big changes (Like demolish the tram tour or completely flip it around)... I want to see it succeed. I think a lot of people are too hard on it and overlook some of its good points (they do exist :p) but a lot of the criticisms about it are valid and also there is no comparing it to its big brother next door.

If anyone wants to see more pictures of Disneyland Paris while you wait for more of Tom's ;) ... we have thousands on our site here: Disney Character Central

real mad hatter

Ok,here is my say..To start with,we do not celebrate thanksgiving,In fact I reckon if I asked your average Brit,what is thanksgiving all about,they wouldn't have a clue.Now onto DLP. If someone from my country had never been on a Disney vacation,by all means go to Paris,but when you eventually get to WDW,you will a massive difference,and Iam not going into all the stuff.And by the way,for us the exchange rate for pounds to euro is crap.For pounds to Dollars it's great.;)

WDWFigment

Original Poster
Glad to hear a bit more about your trip :)

Just a few thoughts/comments:

1) First sorry to hear your food was awful at Walts and Blue Lagoon... when we have eaten there the food wasn't amazing but it was good; however, maybe we have been lucky as we don't eat at the table service restaurants in the parks that often for various reasons (cost, time, lack of things on the menu we like, etc)... the one restaurant we do eat at often is Inventions which has always been good for us so I am also sorry to hear you decided to skip it (hopefully the breakfast was good tho :) ). I completely agree with the amazing theming in the counter service restaurants :)

2) As far as maintenance... things aren't perfect; however, they are leaps and bounds better than they were a couple years ago... they have come a really long way in a short period of time (but admittedly still have work to do... you can't undo a decade of neglect overnight)... I feel like a lot of things now you might not notice unless you are looking for them and I also think a lot of people don't give them enough credit for what they have done recently. They also seem to be continuing on the maintenance front so hopefully things will continue to improve.

For example:

Spring 2010:

DLP Spring 2010 - Welcome to Adventureland by PeterPanFan, on Flickr

Spring 2012:

DLP April 2012 - Exploring Adventureland by PeterPanFan, on Flickr

3) Disney Village is in a bit of a transition phase right now... as you said the World of Disney is brand new (and I think it is great); however, it made a number of stores in Disney Village redundant and I know they are looking to make some big changes to the rest of the village; however, they had to wait for WoD to be done first... I have never liked the theming in Disney Village so I am really hoping they carry over the WoD theming when they redo parts of it.

4) Studios... I have mixed feelings about Studios... As much as I love Parc Disneyland and Disneyland Paris in general WDS still probably ranks as my least favorite park out of the 11 parks world wide (I have been to all of them multiple times). I think it very much needs a ton of placemaking and supposedly they have plans to make a lot of improvements that start with Ratatouille... I am hoping they don't wait until it is done to start work on everything else. I definitely agree that most of the park has a lack of theming... I also think it suffers greatly from doing everything as cheaply as possible at the start and some of the original designs make the other problems a lot worse. For example I like Studio 1; however, it makes a hard separation between the front of the park (which I think is one of the best areas of the park) and the rest... this makes the park feel tiny... it is small to begin with for sure but the overall layout of the park and Studio 1 makes it feel even smaller. That being said... they *have* made a lot of improvements to the park and as shocking as this may be it is far better than it was when it opened based on everything I have seen/heard. Also, it does have a number of unique attractions that I like a lot. I know you thought Crush was overrated; however, I love Animagique and while I personally think it is overrated I know most people love Cinemagique so I am sorry it sounds like you didn't get a chance to see those (guessing since you were only in the park for 3 hours LOL). Also, there are a good number of big attractions (ToT, Rockin Roller Coaster, Stunt Show, etc) so overall I think it isn't so bad as far as attractions; however, it is missing a lot of the "filler" that really makes a Disney park a Disney park. I think there is potential there but for it to become a really good park they are going to have to make some big changes (Like demolish the tram tour or completely flip it around)... I want to see it succeed. I think a lot of people are too hard on it and overlook some of its good points (they do exist :p) but a lot of the criticisms about it are valid and also there is no comparing it to its big brother next door.

If anyone wants to see more pictures of Disneyland Paris while you wait for more of Tom's ;) ... we have thousands on our site here: Disney Character Central

I didn't realize you posted here! @Azerin is one of the people who really helped me plan the trip, and he knows a TON about Disneyland Paris. Even if you don't care about characters, check out his website: http://disneycharactercentral.net, as he has a ton of excellent worldwide photos there. Seriously good stuff.

I didn't mention Animagique, but I LOVED it. Sarah fell asleep during it, but that doesn't speak to its quality. I'll admit that I took photos during it despite their rule against them. (I couldn't bring myself to break the "no tripod" rule at Notre Dame de Paris...regardless of personal beliefs, I will not disrespect those people's privacy and religion by taking photos of their service...but it was absolutely beautiful to experience)

All of that said, the lack of "filler" is what makes WDS suck. I think filler is a really poor term (and I know didn't intend to imply anything with it), because it implies something meaningless. WDS lacks the details that are the HEART of a Disney park.

I've agreed with almost everything you've said in the past, but I do not agree about WDS. I've been thinking about what "placemaking" I'd do to it to make it a viable Disney park...and honestly, razing it would be what I'd do. There are a handful of good attractions, but overall, it's so broken that I don't think it's fixable. If we go back before Ratatouille opens, we won't even bother with it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom