Disneyland Paris Half Marathon

RunningKoen

The medals from this year's Virtual 5k series are huge! Much bigger that last year's medals.

The concept of virtual races just won't work for me. I dislike the theme and design of this years serie compared to 2016.

But as long as they keep the design of DLP on point, I wont complain. You can notice the difference in lanyards aswell.

Texas84

Who from this forum are actually doing the DLP half? I assume @Swissmiss, but who else?
I know (almost) most runners are from the states

Welcome to the boards! I ran it last year and it was a fantastic experience. Disneyland Park (Parc?) is beautiful and I spent a day just exploring. The CMs were great and it was fun meeting CMs from all over Europe and even the US! But it's probably a one-time deal for me. Planning a Tokyo trip next. I need to go run in The Netherlands sometime. :)

RunningKoen

Welcome to the boards! I ran it last year and it was a fantastic experience. Disneyland Park (Parc?) is beautiful and I spent a day just exploring. The CMs were great and it was fun meeting CMs from all over Europe and even the US! But it's probably a one-time deal for me. Planning a Tokyo trip next. I need to go run in The Netherlands sometime. :)

Amsterdam or Rotterdam marathon are the best options; most famous/prestigious.

I'm curious to see how this edition will be. If they can keep up what they started and continue with that level every year, it can be a really well addition to the rundisney events.

Swissmiss

Premium Member
Your assumption is correct @RunningKoen, I will be doing the DLP half. I took up running last year as a challenge to myself for my 50th birthday and the DLP half was my first race (well, I did a couple of shorter races during my training but that is only because the distances more or less matched the given weekend's scheduled run). Despite it being a somewhat "negative" experience (I was injured during a good 6-7 weeks of training) I managed to complete it and really enjoyed the overall weekend. Plus, DLP is a lot closer than either WDW or California!

I will also be doing the half during the WDW Marathon weekend in January 2018, which is why I keep teasing @LAKid53 about coming to do the Castle to Chateau challenge in 2018 but from what I understand, she, like me, does not particularly like flying. And of any excuse, this is one that I can appreciate the most!

RunningKoen

Great, now I'm going to have two of you bugging me for 2018.... :D
The more the merrier ;-)

Btw, I saw a lot of grandma's running previous year in Paris. I spoke someone who was 60+, had a metal pin inside her leg and she could only 'run' if sporttape lifted her kneecap from scraping over that pin, but she still did the 5K and 21K. No excuses, right?

RunningKoen

Your assumption is correct @RunningKoen, I will be doing the DLP half. I took up running last year as a challenge to myself for my 50th birthday and the DLP half was my first race (well, I did a couple of shorter races during my training but that is only because the distances more or less matched the given weekend's scheduled run). Despite it being a somewhat "negative" experience (I was injured during a good 6-7 weeks of training) I managed to complete it and really enjoyed the overall weekend. Plus, DLP is a lot closer than either WDW or California!

I will also be doing the half during the WDW Marathon weekend in January 2018, which is why I keep teasing @LAKid53 about coming to do the Castle to Chateau challenge in 2018 but from what I understand, she, like me, does not particularly like flying. And of any excuse, this is one that I can appreciate the most!

I will probably do DLP for as long as they organise it: way closer than either WDW and Cali indeed.
Are you doing the 5K and/or 10K aswell? Or only the half?

Goals for the DLP 2017 weekend? Any time you hope to reach?

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member

Yes, I'm a nervous flyer. Bugged the heck out my aeronautical engineer dad....

But as I keep saying, I may be a new grandmother by that time...and that baby will impact any plans to travel overseas. Trust me, I'd love to run that race, the picture from sunrise in the countryside were lovely.

LAKid53

Premium Member
The more the merrier ;-)

Btw, I saw a lot of grandma's running previous year in Paris. I spoke someone who was 60+, had a metal pin inside her leg and she could only 'run' if sporttape lifted her kneecap from scraping over that pin, but she still did the 5K and 21K. No excuses, right?

That's my age range and I usually run all three races during a rD race weekend at WDW. Age isn't the issue...it's that she/he will be my first grandchild....

Yes, @Swissmiss, I'm older than you.... ;)

RunningKoen

Yes, I'm a nervous flyer. Bugged the heck out my aeronautical engineer dad....

But as I keep saying, I may be a new grandmother by that time...and that baby will impact any plans to travel overseas. Trust me, I'd love to run that race, the picture from sunrise in the countryside were lovely.

That countryside road with the sunrise was indeed magical. Also; it was very, very silent. All you can hear are the footsteps of all the runners made it even better. But I totally understand your situation. Aiming for 2019 is also an option ;-)

PS: Didnt the runDisney social media team use a story of a 90 year old running with daughter and granddaughter? ;-)

LAKid53

Premium Member
That countryside road with the sunrise was indeed magical. Also; it was very, very silent. All you can hear are the footsteps of all the runners made it even better. But I totally understand your situation. Aiming for 2019 is also an option ;-)

True. Which may be more realistic, given the whole baby thing with my daughter.

Swissmiss

Premium Member
Yes, I'm also doing the 5 km (with my grumbling preteen) and a group of friends. For that one we plan to stick together, for the half we'll only start together and mostly do our own thing. I'm not a particularly fast runner - my best is a 10 km in 1:15, so if this were anything other than a runDisney race I'd really like to keep that pace, but part of the fun is also the photos, so I will stop while in the parks.

Since I understood from what I overheard in line last year that photo lines are insane at the US races, I think I may just see what my best time can be for a half in January, since I am running that one alone.

RunningKoen

Yes, I'm also doing the 5 km (with my grumbling preteen) and a group of friends. For that one we plan to stick together, for the half we'll only start together and mostly do our own thing. I'm not a particularly fast runner - my best is a 10 km in 1:15, so if this were anything other than a runDisney race I'd really like to keep that pace, but part of the fun is also the photos, so I will stop while in the parks.

Yeah the 5K is just for fun, I'll stick with my sister and make a lot of photos in the outfit.
The outfit is not fitting well enough to run 21K in it, so I'll drop it for 10 and 21K and try to aim for a decent time.

Since I understood from what I overheard in line last year that photo lines are insane at the US races, I think I may just see what my best time can be for a half in January, since I am running that one alone.
Depends on the char and when in the course.

Some are more popular, others not at all. I saw Timon at AK with no line but he took a break second before I could pose to him. I have a pic with chars from inside out because there was no line at all. I saw Minnie in ESPN and there was a small line. The chars in MK had bigger lines.

I'l run the 5K for photos and might only take pics during the 10 and 21K if I cant keep up my decent pace, or if there are no lines.

LAKid53

Premium Member

Yes the photo lines are insane, especially for the popular characters. I'd rather lose time due to bathroom breaks than photos.

LAKid53

Premium Member

PS: Didnt the runDisney social media team use a story of a 90 year old running with daughter and granddaughter? ;-)

I'd be on a plane flying over to Paris for the DLP Half before my daughter would lace up a pair of shoes for a race... My son in law and I can't even convince her to join us for a short run through one of our parks. We'd run, she would walk the dog. Laaazy is her middle name, lol. Fortunately for her, she comes from a family of tall, skinny people.

Swissmiss

Premium Member
Ok, so the flying thing OR becoming a grandmother (for the first or ANY other time) are certainly excuses I can respect.

And yes, I did know you were older than me, but I suspect you are in the range of my oldest sibling (I'm the last of a large family). In any event, you are an inspiration for me to keep at it - I like "knowing" people older than me who do multiple races in one weekend :) It can be my goal in 9 years for my 60th (but probably without a marathon, I just don't have any interest in a full marathon).

RunningKoen

Ok, so the flying thing OR becoming a grandmother (for the first or ANY other time) are certainly excuses I can respect.

And yes, I did know you were older than me, but I suspect you are in the range of my oldest sibling (I'm the last of a large family). In any event, you are an inspiration for me to keep at it - I like "knowing" people older than me who do multiple races in one weekend :) It can be my goal in 9 years for my 60th (but probably without a marathon, I just don't have any interest in a full marathon).

Well, Guessing from @LAKid53's nick, she is 63 or 64 ;-) But where are you from, @Swissmiss, when Paris is so much closer than WDW or DL.

Marathons are a special thing and I think you should try it at least once. I never guess I would do a semi or even full marathon a few years ago, but it just happens. Blaim it on Disney?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom