Disneyland officially reopening April 30th

DavidNoble

It's a federal crime to smoke pot, but a lot of people do that too.

Heck, it's a federal crime to do a lot of things that many states or localities allow.

I guess it could be a crime to falsify CDC cards, but who would the arresting officer be? The restaurant hostess? The turnstile CM? The Orange County Sherriff already joined most other police organizations in publicly stating their deputies would not be enforcing Covid regulations or getting involved in Covid mandates issued by Sacramento.

I already have a CDC card, but I don't carry it with me because it's just paper and it's shaped badly to fit in my wallet. Whoever designed these cards obviously doesn't have a slim wallet, or didn't think people would carry it with them for all eternity. It really seems designed to just be an appointment reminder card for your second shot, not a passport to commerce and industry.

But if Disneyland starts requiring CDC cards, is it a crime for me to print out the replacement one and then forge the nurses signature? I have no idea who that nurse was, and I can't read her writing. Do I have to go find her again somehow? Is it a federal crime to present a replacement CDC card that lacks the nurses signature? Does Disneyland then turn me away if the nurses scribble isn't present on the replacement card?

You go down a rabbit hole here, obviously. And I'm sure there are federal crimes involved. How long are we supposed to keep these little paper cards anyway??? What if I lose it? Or it goes into the wash and disintegrates?

They wouldn't require CDC cards. Companies like Google are working on vaccine passport apps. Basically if you got your vaccine through your insurance provider, your insurance provider could provide that information within the vaccine passport app. If you got it through the state/county/city, the same thing. Private sector is creating the infrastructure to do it and then all of those providers would just provide the data to simplify the process.

The problem is... no one actually wants to do any of this (at least in the US), so it's basically pointless.

TP2000

You don't need a card to figure out if someone is vaccinated. Just ask them who won the election.

While Vice President Harris and Governor's Newsom and Cuomo certainly didn't do the vaccine any good by openly questioning its efficacy and safety last year, I was glad to see them flip-flop on that and finally come out in full support of getting the Covid vaccines.

That said, it's not political party but racial demographics that are still the biggest driver of who is getting the vaccine, and who is not. As of May 10th, 2021...

50% of Asian Americans have been vaccinated
40% of White Americans have been vaccinated
29% of Hispanic Americans have been vaccinated
27% of Black Americans have been vaccinated

For whatever reason, perhaps the public skepticism that Vice President Harris put out there on the campaign trail last year, there's a persistent hesitancy particularly among Hispanic and Black Americans to get the shot. That's a shame, and I'm not sure how that happened.

In California, the demographic trends generally follow the national trends...

57% of Asian Californians have been vaccinated
51% of White Californians have been vaccinated
35% of Black Californians have been vaccinated
32% of Hispanic Californians have been vaccinated

I haven't brought this up on my last haircut, but my barber who is Black told me a month ago he and his family had not gotten the vaccine yet and had no plans to. I made a mental note of it, and changed the subject. While I disagree with him, I respect his choice. :)

DavidNoble

For whatever reason, perhaps the public skepticism that Vice President Harris put out there on the campaign trail last year, there's a persistent hesitancy particularly among Black Americans to get the shot. That's a shame, and I'm not sure how that happened.

Yeah, that's exactly why Blacks aren't getting the vaccine.

TP2000

That seems like an odd thing to bring up. I know of no Black friend or former partner who ever mentioned that when it came time for a Flu shot.

The data state that Black Americans willingly receive other vaccines at rates comparable to Whites and Hispanics, but less than Asians. MMR, Boostrix, Twinrix, Pneumovax, etc. vaccines have use rates among Black Americans that are much, much higher than their current use rates of the Covid vaccine at only 27%.

Black Americans receiving annual Flu shot = 62.3%
Older Black Americans receiving Pneumonia shot = 57.0%
Adolescent Black Americans receiving MMR shot = 92.5%

Etc., etc.

DavidNoble

That seems like an odd thing to bring up. I know of no Black friend or former partner who ever mentioned that when it came time for a Flu shot.

The data state that Black Americans willingly receive other vaccines at rates comparable to Whites and Hispanics, but less than Asians. MMR, Boostrix, Twinrix, Pneumovax, etc. vaccines have use rates among Black Americans that are much, much higher than their current use rates of the Covid vaccine at only 27%.

Black Americans receiving annual Flu shot = 62.3%
Older Black Americans receiving Pneumonia shot = 57.0%
Adolescent Black Americans receiving MMR shot = 92.5%

Etc., etc.

I mean, we're talking about vaccines that have been around a lot longer compared to the COVID-vaccine.

Hesitancy around these vaccines have nothing to do with Harris in the Black communities. I know this as someone who is Black.

TP2000

I mean, we're talking about vaccines that have been around a lot longer compared to the COVID-vaccine.

Hesitancy around these vaccines have nothing to do with Harris in the Black communities. I know this as someone who is Black.

Ah, well it's a fascinating topic!

I knew instinctively the way my barber responded that I should drop the issue of Covid vaccines, so I did.

This may seem off topic, but it really all relates to the issue of requiring CDC vaccination cards to engage with private industry and commerce; places like Disneyland, or Delta Airlines, or Trader Joe's.

I think we've just seen the immediate future with a company like Trader Joe's jumping right in today and saying "Yup, masks no longer required to work in or shop in our stores, effective immediately. No proof required, just going on the honor system. Have you tried the summer tomato salad we have on sale this week?! It's fabulous with a Pinot Grigio!"

Unless OSHA steps in and issues conflicting rules for workplaces that are different from what the CDC just said, I think we can see the near future at your local Trader Joe's this afternoon. I certainly did!

DavidNoble

Ah, well it's a fascinating topic!

I knew instinctively the way my barber responded that I should drop the issue of Covid vaccines, so I did.

This may seem off topic, but it really all relates to the issue of requiring CDC vaccination cards to engage with private industry and commerce; places like Disneyland, or Delta Airlines, or Trader Joe's.

I think we've just seen the immediate future with a company like Trader Joe's jumping right in today and saying "Yup, masks no longer required to work in or shop in our stores, effective immediately. No proof required, just going on the honor system. Have you tried the summer tomato salad we have on sale this week?! It's fabulous with a Pinot Grigio!"

Unless OSHA steps in and issues conflicting rules for workplaces that are different from what the CDC just said, I think we can see the near future at your local Trader Joe's this afternoon. I certainly did!

Yeah, because that infrastructure isn't in place today (since no one in the US seems to really care about it), there was no way for a Trader Joes or Disney to say 'show us your vaccine passport'. I support them, I think they would significantly help. Yet, what is Disney supposed to do? Or Trader Joes? They can't just sit around and wait for a number to say 'this is when we're dropping masks'. At this point, they're being told vaccinated can go inside without masks, but there is no system to confirm one way or another.

This is the biggest ball dropped, IMO.

Californian Elitist

The history of using us for medical experiments gone wrong, not to mention other things like our likelihood of dying in childbirth as black women being higher are the main reasons as to why many people within the community don’t trust getting there vaccine. My cousin is one of them.

DavidNoble

The history of using us for medical experiments gone wrong, not to mention other things like our likelihood of dying in childbirth as black women being higher are the main reasons as to why many people within the community don’t trust getting there vaccine. My cousin is one of them.

Plus, healthcare as a whole looks very different for Blacks compared to whites. It just does. There's no two ways about it. Even the way medicine impacts them versus whites. It just is something that has to be considered in addition to the history and how poorly the healthcare system advocates for Blacks.

Californian Elitist

Plus, healthcare as a whole looks very different for Blacks compared to whites. It just does. There's no two ways about it. Even the way medicine impacts them versus whites. It just is something that has to be considered in addition to the history and how poorly the healthcare system advocates for Blacks.
That part.

mickEblu

To be piggy back off this I’m not sure how this vaccine effects half Italians, half Jordanians and I’m a hypochondriac so I will not be taking the vaccine. I think twice before taking an Advil. If I were to take this vaccine I would blame the vaccine every time I cough or feel weird.

SSG

To be piggy back off this I’m not sure how this vaccine effects half Italians, half Jordanians and I’m a hypochondriac so I will not be taking the vaccine. I think twice before taking an Advil. If I were to take this vaccine I would blame the vaccine every time I cough or feel weird.
It's America and your choice, Mick. But the one cautionary tale I tell people is about a good friend of mine. Late 40's, pretty healthy, but smoked 5-6 cigarettes a day (trying to quit). He got COVID 7-8 months back and tanked hard. He lived, but he developed blood clots and his leg had to be amputated.

Seriously. Leg amputated. Doing pretty good on recovery now, but wow.....

I was very eager to take a vaccine that could prevent that outcome.

Sorry for the bummer post

mickEblu

It's America and your choice, Mick. But the one cautionary tale I tell people is about a good friend of mine. Late 40's, pretty healthy, but smoked 5-6 cigarettes a day (trying to quit). He got COVID 7-8 months back and tanked hard. He lived, but he developed blood clots and his leg had to be amputated.

Seriously. Leg amputated. Doing pretty good on recovery now, but wow.....

I was very eager to take a vaccine that could prevent that outcome.

Sorry for the bummer post

So sorry to hear about your friend!

Sharon&Susan

Outdoor mask mandate at WDW dropped.

Shpika.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom