Disneyland officially reopening April 30th

Stevek

I'm not local, but I'm going to attempt to reserve the Sat-Sun on Memorial weekend. The hours should be 9-9 by then, but I also know that will be a popular weekend, so it's hard to say if I'll get in....especially if current ticket holders get a few days' head start on reservations. 🤞
we will probably do any random Saturday or Sunday prior to 6/15...I'm guessing pretty much every day will be booked solid anyways so it's not like a weekday will buy you lower crowds.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
we will probably do any random Saturday or Sunday prior to 6/15...I'm guessing pretty much every day will be booked solid anyways so it's not like a weekday will buy you lower crowds.
True story. I'm sure locals (and probably some vacationers) will be willing to take a day or two off of work mid-week. I expect the first 60 days to book within a couple of hours.

fctiger

I'm not local, but I'm going to attempt to reserve the Sat-Sun on Memorial weekend. The hours should be 9-9 by then, but I also know that will be a popular weekend, so it's hard to say if I'll get in....especially if current ticket holders get a few days' head start on reservations. 🤞

Honestly with lower capacity, I'm guessing every day is going to be pretty full the first few months at least. Could be wrong, but if A Taste of Disney sold out in literally just a few hours which is nothing more than eating food in a dead park, I can only imagine what the first month of opening will be like.

ToTBellHop

Honestly with lower capacity, I'm guessing every day is going to be pretty full the first few months at least. Could be wrong, but if A Taste of Disney sold out in literally just a few hours which is nothing more than eating food in a dead park, I can only imagine what the first month of opening will be like.
Well, they can increase capacity to 35% in yellow and then further if they choose on 6/15 and the lack of APs will certainly impact numbers. How many individual tickets will locals buy? You could buy a multi-day ticket but they expire pretty quickly.

fctiger

Well, they can increase capacity to 35% in yellow and then further if they choose on 6/15 and the lack of APs will certainly impact numbers. How many individual tickets will locals buy? You could buy a multi-day ticket but they expire pretty quickly.

As I said I was only talking about the first few months and when capacity is lower and also because that's when the hardcore bunch is going to go, ASAP! But yes I agree after those first few months and when they increase capacity it will probably die down a lot. But the poster was specifically talking about Memorial day, which is only a month after the parks open.

It's why I don't want to go until end of June or July. I suspect it will be a lot easier to go, especially once attendance can be at a more normal level. That said, non-Californians will also be allowed to go back so maybe it won't be a huge difference by then either.

ToTBellHop

As I said I was only talking about the first few months and when capacity is lower and also because that's when the hardcore bunch is going to go, ASAP! But yes I agree after those first few months and when they increase capacity it will probably die down a lot. But the poster was specifically talking about Memorial day, which is only a month after the parks open.

It's why I don't want to go until end of June or July. I suspect it will be a lot easier to go, especially once attendance can be at a more normal level. That said, non-Californians will also be allowed to go back so maybe it won't be a huge difference by then either.
Oh, absolutely, then. May will be tough to get in. People will need to be flexible, I imagine. I hope Disney’s system can handle it. It is inherently unfair when people queue up and the system keeps crashing.

fctiger

Oh, absolutely, then. May will be tough to get in. People will need to be flexible, I imagine. I hope Disney’s system can handle it. It is inherently unfair when people queue up and the system keeps crashing.

Yeah, I just don't have the energy to even TRY to go the first month lol, even if I was fully vaccinated or felt comfortable to go. It's been well over a year now, I can wait a few more months. And I honestly want to wait until Avengers Campus open. Since we no longer have APs and faaaar from rich, we can only go a few times a year now, which is more than fine. I want to wait until the initial rush dies down and hope the new land will open in the summer but with higher capacity. Because I have no idea when we'll be back after we do it the first time.

Curious Constance

I have a hard time believing that Disney will choose to drop all restrictions on June 15th. Some sure, but not all. I can see them allowing out of state visitors, but I bet they will still limit attendance. WDWvhas been limiting long after restrictions where lifted.

Old Mouseketeer

I mean I guess everything "attracts" some people.

"Lukewarm Water on tap at El Zocalo Cart"
"Benches of Main Street"
Hey, Walt listed the Speedramps on the new DL&SFRR Alweg Monorail as an attraction. I love Walt. Disneyland was a major part of my childhood. I have no problem acknowledging that Walt was both a creative genius and a savvy businessman and, frankly, a decent huckster. He knew how to promote. He knew how to cater to his audience. I respect that. Disneyland is a business. Most recently I was awed by RotR. Riding it for the first time is up there with PotC, HM, IJA, Avatar, ATIS, CoP, and, when I was a boy, iasw and Tiki Room. These were attractions that changed my expectations of theme park entertainment.

And people-watching from almost any bench in the parks is a great attraction for me. Waiting for Figaro to wake up at Castle Fantasy Faire or the Evil Queen to reveal herself over Snow White. Or the seagulls at Nemo Subs--I cry out "mine, mine, mine" (and I do it really well). I love seeing the Dapper Dans sing their way down Main Street on the streetcar. I miss the '70s College Marching Band doing a mash-up of 1812 and William Tell Overtures. And Cadaver Dans on a raft on RoA. Don't get me started on losing Thor's throne room--I'll cry. In the late '60s I was fascinated by the glass cutters at Crystal d'Orleans for Arribas Brothers. I always liked glass blowers, but this was new and I spent my allowance on several gifts. Then I got hired in FL and worked my way through college as a glass cutter and worked all over the country for Arribas and others. I miss Harry Brice the Silhouette artist. Bub Taylor and Kevin Miles, the great basses in Dapper Dans in FL. I saw Fulton Burley, Betty Taylor, and Wally Boag at Golden Horseshoe many times. And Teddy Buckner's Jazz All-Stars. I saw Mickey Mouse leading the WDW Band for Salute to Canada in 1974 in his Mountie costume with his sleeve chevrons upside down (they fixed it in between sets).

When I was a boy, we would take my grandparents from Oklahoma to DL with us when they visited. We would buy reasonably priced senior tickets for them and they would ride the train, Mark Twain, CoP, Carousel, FL dark rides, and (in the hot afternoon) Mr. Lincoln and America the Beautiful. And yes, there was a lot of sitting on benches. Walt wanted DL to be for entire families and I got to fully experience that. I don't particularly notice the "Lukewarm Water on tap at El Zocalo Cart". But I do always point out my favorite stained glass window at the resort (other than the entry doors at GCH which are hard to see opening and closing) above the entrance to Rancho del Zocalo (look for the giant "Z" and the beautiful oak leaves). They were produced by Judson Studios of Los Angeles, the US' oldest stained glass studio. I have a lifelong family connection to Judson and my brother has a window panel that is a family heirloom.

Disneyland is full of small, personal stories. I've done my fair share of blowing through the roller coasters. I've also spent a fair amount of time "stopping and smelling the roses". YMMV.

TP2000

You're wrong on so many levels on this one.

This isn't someone working a churro stand. These are performers committed to a standing show. Even making comparisons to attractions operators shows your disconnect.

Okay, but TDA has told us for years that "Every Role Is A Starring Role!". Right?

So it sounds as though you are saying there are levels of CM hierarchy and a Master Electrician or an AGVA Actress is somehow better or more valuable than a churro hostess or a ride operator? ;)

I just find so much of Social Media to be narcissistic cringe. This fired Frozen actress isn't any different than a million other people on Social Media, especially in Los Angeles or New York. She may be very sincere here. But I find it to be stereotypical Social Media claptrap.

Every Role Is A Starring Role!* Everyone Is a Star!* All CM's Are Equal!* (*pay scales do not apply and *no legal agreement is implied)

Last edited:

TP2000

Heck, churro stand or attractions operator even, if they genuinely enjoy or love what they do. If you're doing something you love and you do it long enough to develop relationships within a company or take pride in what you do, having that taken away is something you're allowed to feel natural human emotions over without others telling you you're wrong for feeling a certain way.

But that's just it.

Disneyland fired thousands and thousands of CM's in the last year. Many are never coming back.

But we never saw teary Social Media from ride operators or churro girls or turnstile attendants. Only the professional actors seem to have put that kind of stuff up on their Social Media. Don't forget to Like and Subscribe!

It just feels... cringey to me. But that's just me.

If I'm off base on this one, that won't have been the first time. But it just seems eye-rolling to me when many thousands of other CM's also lost their jobs in the last year.

TP2000

Park entertainment cast are my namesake raison d'etre. You just attacked and mocked someone I directly care about.

I'm glad it looks like you or a mod pulled the original post. Because it was way out of line.

Making fun of generalities - understood. Belittling specific CM's? NO. HELL NO.

Okay. I have no idea who that girl is/was. Her Social Media post came up at the top of a page on a general Google search when I was double-checking that the Frozen show had indeed been closed and its equipment removed from the theater, per an earlier conversation.

That person put that out on Social Media for the world to see. I didn't hack into her protected Facebook photos and cut and paste it. Don't forget to Like and Subscribe.

My point is that thousands and thousands of CM's have been fired in the last few months. Entire departments were wiped out. And suddenly there's actresses from theme park stage shows putting teary photos up on public Social Media? That seems cringey to me for a show and role designed to be temporary and fleeting, particularly when thousands of other CM's who have worked at Disneyland for many years (decades) longer than the Frozen show has been around were laid off in the last six months. :(

TP2000

Any locals considering just not going until after June 15? I don’t know that I’d want to go and deal with queue oddities knowing that they’ll be gone after 6 weeks. For example, I’d rather see the Indy queue as intended.

I'm in that camp.

I was considering a late May visit to give the CM's a month to work out all the bugs and hassles they will have to deal with.

But now? I'm waiting until after Sacramento allows California to go back to normal. If that means waiting another month or two past late May, then so be it.

TP2000

You have a certain style and I know you never shy away from an opportunity to roast someone in humor, so I’m not sure if your post was sincere. If not, well. Har har, I guess. Good one. But you have a lot of influence here, TP, and people eat this up like it’s the truth.

This is creepy and weird, and it really needs to stop.

I have "influence"? That's weird and dumb. And I don't want it.

If me making fun of a narcissistic Social Media post from a very dramatic CM gets people to stop thinking I have some mysterious power, than that would be great! :)

I'm a guy in my den posting whatever comes to my mind. Although, right now, I'm far away from home for an impromptu Easter vacation posting whatever comes to my mind. As long as it's still fun to post here, I'll do it. But having to live up to some pre-conceived notion of who I am and what I should post and how I should set a good example for the kids? No thanks. ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom