News Disneyland modifies mask policy - UPDATE 7/28/21

cmwade77

I think the concept is a bit flawed. Isn't it possible that guests who are not fully vaccinated will lie and say that they are fully vaccinated so they won't have to wear a mask anymore? I think they should be required to show proof of some kind so that no one will abuse the system.
It is indeed possible and likely will happen; however, even the CDC says that if you are vaccinated, it is safe to be around those that are unvaccinated, even indoors and even if they are unmasked.

So ultimately, those that lie about it are hurting themselves (if masks actually do anything and considering that even Fauci has recently said they are just a placebo and do nothing) and asking for proof will only line the pockets of people that will create fake proof. In fact requiring proof may result in more people refusing to get vaccinated in the long run because many will feel like they are being forced and the people that would creat fake proof would become very accessible, especially near anywhere requiring proof.

Don't believe me? Look at medical marijuana, before it was legalized for recreational use, you could go to almost any street corner and get a card for $20, I know because there were blatant holding signs up, apparently you didn't even need to get out of your car.

Or back when Disney used to require doctor's notes to get guest assistance for the disabled, they were available for about $5 on many street corners.

This would be no different, although the dollar amount might change.

Old Mouseketeer

Not sure I believe him. If this were true, they wouldn’t have bumped up capacity to 35% just because they could especially when they weren’t ready for it.

The hell they wouldn't! Just talk to any CMs who have knowledge of what went on as they prepared to reopen. In department after department, plans were made and parameters were set for a "sensible" reopening and TDA blew them up midstream. Now you have attractions CMs working 12-hour days and six-day weeks without relief. Even after they reinstated the points system for calling out late or absent, there are still huge numbers of open shifts on the weekly schedule, even before people call out.

DL Resort is MONTHS away from being able to run at anything near capacity. Supposedly Custodial and Attractions have called all their furloughed and laid-off staff and are now free to start new hires. I know a trainer who has Traditions Trainer shifts coming up. They are struggling to operate at 25-30K in DL Park. I have another friend (our families go back decades) who works a major attraction and her Leads are having to re-learn how to extend and decrease the extended queue, especially with no more FastPass.

Disney executives will push it as far as they possibly can, often not listening to the people who have to actually make it work. Remember, due to the shutdowns across the company the Disney Board had to take out an additional $5 billion-dollar line of credit with Citibank. If not for the more successful than expected Disney+ rollout, they would be in a lot worse shape. But they still have a lot of ground to make up. It's going to be a long time (2022 at least) before the park experience becomes anything like we were used to.

SSG

Can't the metal detectors at security be calibrated to pick up the nanobots and micro-trackers surging through a vaccinated person's bloodstream? That seems like the easiest way to ensure honesty on one's vaccine status.

Proud Of You Yes GIF

Old Mouseketeer

Oh, for gosh sakes! I'm alive. I just checked. I really am alive.

I just logged on and realized by the private messages that it's been exactly one week since my last visit here. Oops.

After last summer being a bust with lots of cancellations for travel and houseguests and parties, I have a lot of catching up to do this summer! I'm very busy. 🥳

As for masks... I ran by the dry cleaner's today and picked up my outfit to wear maskless for lots of errands tomorrow. I'm going for a SoCal Summer Beach Party vibe with my outfit, but I'm not going to even wear sunglasses tomorrow to reveal my entire handsomely-distinguished-yet-friendly face to the world for the first time in 15 months. I've been saving errands specifically for Maskless Day, so tomorrow I'm going to Ralph's Fresh Fare, Target, and Home Depot. Maybe BevMo. And I'm going to smile and say hello maskless to everyone I see! I can't wait!

As for Disneyland CM's.... well, because California OSHA and Sacramento apparently doesn't believe in science, they still have to wear masks tomorrow. Wrap your head around that one; vaccinated employees must still wear a mask, but customers with no system to check for vaccination status don't have to wear masks in their workplace. Science and Sacramento clearly don't work well together. Our tax dollars at work! 🤣

While you've been sealed in your coffin this week it has been announced that Cal-OSHA has new guidelines pending, maybe as early as Thursday, which the Governor has promised to fast-track. Guidelines for guests are based on Public Health principles. Cal-OSHA is based on worker safety principles. Similar, but different disciplines. Both are based on science. People passing each other on the street is different than people working next to each other for eight hours. The fact that the two are not perfectly in sync is a nothingburger.

Old Mouseketeer

Can't the metal detectors at security be calibrated to pick up the nanobots and micro-trackers surging through a vaccinated person's bloodstream? That seems like the easiest way to ensure honesty on one's vaccine status.

Proud Of You Yes GIF

That's the beauty of it! Bill Gates design is so perfect they fly under the radar. The thing I hate is having to change my phone number to get 5G on the nano-chip!

Tamandua

The hell they wouldn't! Just talk to any CMs who have knowledge of what went on as they prepared to reopen. In department after department, plans were made and parameters were set for a "sensible" reopening and TDA blew them up midstream. Now you have attractions CMs working 12-hour days and six-day weeks without relief. Even after they reinstated the points system for calling out late or absent, there are still huge numbers of open shifts on the weekly schedule, even before people call out.

DL Resort is MONTHS away from being able to run at anything near capacity. Supposedly Custodial and Attractions have called all their furloughed and laid-off staff and are now free to start new hires. I know a trainer who has Traditions Trainer shifts coming up. They are struggling to operate at 25-30K in DL Park. I have another friend (our families go back decades) who works a major attraction and her Leads are having to re-learn how to extend and decrease the extended queue, especially with no more FastPass.

Disney executives will push it as far as they possibly can, often not listening to the people who have to actually make it work. Remember, due to the shutdowns across the company the Disney Board had to take out an additional $5 billion-dollar line of credit with Citibank. If not for the more successful than expected Disney+ rollout, they would be in a lot worse shape. But they still have a lot of ground to make up. It's going to be a long time (2022 at least) before the park experience becomes anything like we were used to.
I looked at the Disneyland jobs website the other day and there was almost nothing listed. They need to get on the ball.

Old Mouseketeer

Ok, then I can speak on the near 20+ people I know (friends, hell even professors and principals) that don't ever wear a mask as they also know and agree that they don't help THEM in any way. Doing without them has done nothing harmful to everyone I know that don't use them. Since you didn't want to hear from me. I'm glad that you have YOUR opinion on them, I'm just giving my two cents.

Thanks.

Ummm, the plural of "anecdote" isn't "data". Just sayin'.

Old Mouseketeer

I really hope that I'm wrong, and we still see a large % of people wearing masks in the coming days. Because the bottom line is it will be depressing to me, if instead there is hardly any mask wearing, when in reality we know that a large percentage have still not been vaccinated. I hope that those who are still not, follow the guidelines, and don't act irresponsibly. Even though the State and Disney are giving them every possible opportunity to do so. The virus is still out there, and besides the fact it endangers your own life, it could endanger someone else's as well. And the sooner we minimize the virus spread, the sooner all of us can feel more comfortable in different surroundings.

The problem is that wearing a mask protects others more than yourself. Most of the people who are unvaccinated are also opposed to masks. It will be interesting to see over the summer if there is a resurgence among these populations. Vermont is now 80% vaccinated--that may provide an interesting benchmark in the US.

Tamandua

So the millions of us who had covid and developed natural immunity have to wear masks, unless we got a vaccine with something less than a 100% effective rate, then we don't have to?

DisneyAndUniversalFan

The problem is that wearing a mask protects others more than yourself. Most of the people who are unvaccinated are also opposed to masks. It will be interesting to see over the summer if there is a resurgence among these populations. Vermont is now 80% vaccinated--that may provide an interesting benchmark in the US.
It’s actually the other way around, just sayin’. It protects you, not me. Anyway, Where do you pull up all those random “facts”? Where’s the data?

truecoat

It’s actually the other way around, just sayin’. It protects you, not me. Anyway, Where do you pull up all those random “facts”? Where’s the data?

Data for what? Mask wearing?

Here's what the Mayo Clinic says...

Can face masks help slow the spread of the coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2) that causes COVID-19? Yes. Face masks combined with other preventive measures, such as getting vaccinated, frequent hand-washing and physical distancing, can help slow the spread of the virus.

Stevek

Exactly. There is so much freaking demand for Disneyland that they know they can push the boundaries...and probably push beyond them as I believe they already have. I expect them to push even further now that we've hit the 6/15 date.

DisneyAndUniversalFan

Data for what? Mask wearing?

Here's what the Mayo Clinic says...

Can face masks help slow the spread of the coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2) that causes COVID-19? Yes. Face masks combined with other preventive measures, such as getting vaccinated, frequent hand-washing and physical distancing, can help slow the spread of the virus.
Here’s what LiveScience says…

Do face masks really reduce coronavirus spread? Experts have mixed answers.
And then, three paragraphs down….
The bottom line, experts say, is that masks might help keep people with COVID-19 from unknowingly passing along the virus. But the evidence for the efficacy of surgical or homemade masks is limited, and masks aren't the most important protection against the coronavirus.

Every website can be different it seems. Getting information off the internet for anything can occur like that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom