News Disneyland Magic Key Program (all pass types will be available to purchase beginning March 5, 2024)

Californian Elitist

I laughed. No effort at all:

65489012-DE29-448B-B27E-371EF704FF11.jpeg

Also, there’s one called “Disney Pixie Dust” pass. I think this is appropriately named and I would even bet whoever came up with this was secretly mocking the folks who are addicted to the Mouse, use “magical” various times when referring to their Disney visits and vacations, and will never stop going, no matter what Disney does.

waltography

The naming system seems to want to address a problem that pass holders aren't even facing. The point of names like Imagine, Dream, and Enchant (or Pixie Dust, Pirate, and Incredi-... gross) is to obfuscate the tier from the pass so you don't know what's the more valuable pass from the name alone. But why on Earth would you want to do that? It's bad UX.

SplashGhost

For those new WDW passes, I kind of understand why Sorcerer might make some sort of sense, but Pirate Pass and Incredi-Pass are hilarious. It is like Chapek's IP mandate isn't limited just to attractions, he has to tie IPs into ticket and pass names as well.

Dear Prudence

I laughed. No effort at all:

View attachment 585693

Also, there’s one called “Disney Pixie Dust” pass. I think this is appropriately named and I would even bet whoever came up with this was secretly mocking the folks who are addicted to the Mouse, use “magical” various times when referring to their Disney visits and vacations, and will never stop going, no matter what Disney does.
I GOT SO UNCOMFORTABLE JUST LOOKING AT THAT. :eek::oops:o_O

TP2000

What makes even less sense is the names for each tier, it is like they assigned random buzzwords to each key without any logical sense of progression from one key to the tier above it.

The entire list of new nomenclature they've assigned to this concept is a complete joke.

The only thing I can think is that they were rushing against some self-imposed deadline to get it out, and they had to shove the the new naming job to some random idiot in Florida who doesn't understand how damaging this is to the overall corporate culture.

It's like a bad parody of a parody. And it's confusing. And often embarassing to say out loud. And thus, meaningless and trite.

So far, the only good thing to come out of this new program is that early 1980's font they used for the Magic Key logo.

I do like that font. It's fun, and reminds me of my Magic Kingdom Club Card from the early Reagan years.

magickeydisneyland.jpg

TP2000

I thought you were being sarcastic. I looked the passes up and you weren’t joking.

Much worse than our pass names, and ours are pretty bad.

Yeah, I had to look it up myself because I thought the WDW names were a joke. They weren't, they are real. :eek:

You want to be embarassed for them, but they did this to themselves so I'm just going to laugh at them instead. :cool:

Here's what I would have gone with for Disneyland instead. Again, I'm not opposed to the label Magic Key, and I do like that font.

w4otui4jgk3nrefdc-1.jpeg

But I'd use these level names for the Magic Key program instead, evoking memories for many SoCal locals and Disneyland fans of the various anniversary parties and good times over the years.

Silver Key (1980 Silver Anniversary)
Gold Key (2005 Golden Anniversary)
Platinum Key (Upcoming 2025 Platinum Anniversary)
Diamond Key (Upcoming 2030 Diamond Anniversary)

Plus, those are levels that have meaning to 21st century consumers used to dealing with credit cards and various pass levels in consumer society. That also gives them some ability to add additional layers in the future, like a SoCal Key below the Silver Key (although I hope they've learned their lesson on that from the 2010's and won't go down that cheapskate locals road again. But 5 years from now with the latest TDA President Du Jour? Their swirling executive pool can easily make that shortsighted mistake again.)

Last edited:

TP2000

As for WDW and that TDO cubicle drone who phoned in their ridiculously trite pass levels...

wdpai029834092834029842342i-1.jpg

They do get a pat on the back for using the original 1970's font and actually going to the trouble of spelling out Walt Disney World, instead of just the now-meaningless "Disney" moniker. That must have confused some folks in TDO to not just label it "Disney", instead of suddenly using the actual name of the property. I'm sure some in Celebration had to have it explained to them.

But I would draw on the local culture and experiences people have had at WDW over the decades. Unlike Disneyland evoking anniversaries though, I would try and play up Florida's famous flora and fauna as ways to make people remember the good times of their Sunshine State vacation, like the hilarious time that huge cockroach crawled over mom's foot at Trader Sam's Grog Grotto.

Disney Palmetto Bug Pass
Disney Mosquito Pass
Disney Bedbug Pass
Disney Possum Pass

The above post was typed in the late afternoon sitting out on the patio in La Jolla, California. All screenless sliding glass doors in the house are wide open and several screenless windows in the house are wide open. Not a single bug has been seen here all summer (but there is a shy little lizard I've named Larry). Current temperature at 5:45pm is 70 degrees on the nose. The high temp at 3:00pm today was a scorching 71. Stunning Pacific Ocean sunset is an hour away. There is a light sea breeze. The low tonight is forecast to be 64. Rinse and repeat.

Last edited:

DCBaker

Premium Member
Original Poster
I did not read through this thread, but could someone tell me how does a magic key holder cancel a DLR park pass reservation?

"Theme park reservations cannot be modified, but can be cancelled by visiting My Theme Park Reservations. If you’d like to cancel an existing reservation and book a new one, please first check on the availability of reservations for your new desired date and/or park."

Sailor310

All 4 passes are "reservations unavailable" Sept 26, 27, 28 and 28th. The 28th and 29th are $104 days. Touring Plans shows 2/10. Anyone have guess as to what's going on? Why are they cutting off reservations on super slow days, slow season? Glad my organized friend made us get reservations early for Tues.

Last edited:

TP2000

All 4 passes are "reservations unavailable" Sept 26, 27, 28 and 28th. The 28th and 29th are $104 days. Touring Plans shows 2/10. Anyone have guess as to what's going on? Why are they cutting off reservations on super slow days, slow season? Glad my organized friend made us get reservations early for Tues.

I'm thinking they are still tinkering with this new concept, trying to figure it out. Those days are non-peak weekdays and a Sunday. Really, practically no one should be at Disneyland those days, except for Nuns, convention-goers, and single adults who have annoying YouTube channels. And since conventions are still forbidden in California, it's just the Nuns and the annoying YouTubers.

They are trying to figure out what is the right amount of Annual Passholders, um Magic Keyers to allow in on these first few weeks of non-peak days in this bold new world of Magic Key.

I get it, and I'm ready to cut TDA some slack on this one. :)

They are starting very conservatively, and trying to limit the number of Magic Key folks to very low numbers on these first few non-peak weeks. A year from now things will be different, but in September 2021 they are being very cautious and conservative. I can't blame them for that, bless their little hearts. And again, I love that font.

But you can bet TDA Prez Ken Potluck and all his TDA execs will pour over the Magic Key vs. Regular Customers attendance stats in the weeks ahead. At least it keeps them busy with legit business dealings, as Ken Potluck's previous version in TDA seemed only interested in Instagramming photos of herself in skintight slacks doing things not really related to anything.

Oh, wait... Apparently that former TDA Prez (Screen Name: Rebecca Campbell) has erased all of her previous Disneyland Instagram photos from 2020. As if it never happened and she was never the President of the Disneyland Resort. Who? What park? Where? Never heard of her.

Funny how that works, isn't it? :rolleyes: But I thought she loved Disneyland and loved the Cast Members and loved the Guests? Apparently only when she was being paid to do so for a few weeks in 2020.

Still, thanks to the miracle of the Internet, here she is in skintight slacks talking to a horse that works at Disneyland. A photo she posted to her own Instagram in 2020 as President of Disneyland Resort before it was erased from the 'Gram.

Rebecca-Campbell-1.png

And in her current sun dappled corporate headshot she's Fresh as Springtime!
She's a part of DMED now, which is every parent's dream for their child. Or something. 🧐

Last edited:

Disstevefan1

I'm thinking they are still tinkering with this new concept, trying to figure it out. Those days are non-peak weekdays and a Sunday. Really, practically no one should be at Disneyland those days, except for Nuns, convention-goers, and single adults who have annoying YouTube channels. And since conventions are still forbidden in California, it's just the Nuns and the annoying YouTubers.

They are trying to figure out what is the right amount of Annual Passholders, um Magic Keyers to allow in on these first few weeks of non-peak days in this bold new world of Magic Key.

I get it, and I'm ready to cut TDA some slack on this one. :)

They are starting very conservatively, and trying to limit the number of Magic Key folks to very low numbers on these first few non-peak weeks. A year from now things will be different, but in September 2021 they are being very cautious and conservative. I can't blame them for that, bless their little hearts. And again, I love that font.

But you can bet TDA Prez Ken Potluck and all his TDA execs will pour over the Magic Key vs. Regular Customers attendance stats in the weeks ahead. At least it keeps them busy with legit business dealings, as Ken Potluck's previous version in TDA seemed only interested in Instagramming photos of herself in skintight slacks doing things not really related to anything.

Oh, wait... Apparently that former TDA Prez (Screen Name: Rebecca Campbell) has erased all of her previous Disneyland Instagram photos from 2020. As if it never happened and she was never the President of the Disneyland Resort. Who? What park? Where? Never heard of her.

Funny how that works, isn't it? :rolleyes: But I thought she loved Disneyland and loved the Cast Members and loved the Guests? Apparently only when she was being paid to do so for a few weeks in 2020.

Still, thanks to the miracle of the Internet, here she is in skintight slacks talking to a horse that works at Disneyland. A photo she posted to her own Instagram in 2020 as President of Disneyland Resort before it was erased from the 'Gram.

Rebecca-Campbell-1.png

And in her current sun dappled corporate headshot she's Fresh as Springtime!
She's a part of DMED now, which is every parent's dream for their child. Or something. 🧐

It seems to me the locals, those that prior to the pandemic made up some 70 percent of the attendance at DLR are getting a bad deal now. No worries, DLR can simply blame it on the pandemic.

mickEblu

Looks like lots of people are upset with the reservations now being booked up weeks in advanced for weekends, even for those that spent 1400.

Are you sure that’s true? I have the Believe Key and up until recently weekends were pretty much booking up week of and no weekdays were booking up except those attached to holiday weekends. Could be a confused key holder who said that as the calendar doesn’t differentiate between days you have already booked and days where reservations are no longer available. For example if I look at my calendar it appears that all weekends are booked for October when In actuality I’m blocked out all but one Saturday and have reservations placed on all the Sundays and one Saturday.

Also people have to learn how to game the system. I’m not sure why any Dream Key holder (with 6 reservations available) wouldn’t immediately book key dates and/or all Saturdays 6 weeks out as those run out of reservations first. Unless of course reservations are running out more than 6 weeks in advance then that could be an issue.

EDIT: oh wow. Just checked and looks like days are booking up a little further out than I thought. Nothing in November yet but there are already a few days wheee you have to start your day at DCA. That changes things and changes the game plan. Can’t use all your reservations to reserve weekend dates on a rolling basis. You have to be more selective.

Last edited:

DrAlice

As for WDW and that TDO cubicle drone who phoned in their ridiculously trite pass levels...

View attachment 589160

They do get a pat on the back for using the original 1970's font and actually going to the trouble of spelling out Walt Disney World, instead of just the now-meaningless "Disney" moniker. That must have confused some folks in TDO to not just label it "Disney", instead of suddenly using the actual name of the property. I'm sure some in Celebration had to have it explained to them.

But I would draw on the local culture and experiences people have had at WDW over the decades. Unlike Disneyland evoking anniversaries though, I would try and play up Florida's famous flora and fauna as ways to make people remember the good times of their Sunshine State vacation, like the hilarious time that huge cockroach crawled over mom's foot at Trader Sam's Grog Grotto.

Disney Palmetto Bug Pass
Disney Mosquito Pass
Disney Bedbug Pass
Disney Possum Pass

The above post was typed in the late afternoon sitting out on the patio in La Jolla, California. All screenless sliding glass doors in the house are wide open and several screenless windows in the house are wide open. Not a single bug has been seen here all summer (but there is a shy little lizard I've named Larry). Current temperature at 5:45pm is 70 degrees on the nose. The high temp at 3:00pm today was a scorching 71. Stunning Pacific Ocean sunset is an hour away. There is a light sea breeze. The low tonight is forecast to be 64. Rinse and repeat.
What?! No Gator pass??!

My memory: "It's Spring! Where are all the ducklings?" Sees small gator on the bank of Tom Sawyer Island. "ohhh.... this isn't California."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom