News Disneyland Magic Key Program (all pass types will be available to purchase beginning March 5, 2024)

Jefro

So who is actually thinking about getting this?

Still struggling to remember the names too - maybe not memorable 🤣.

I think the wife and I will be upgrading our 3 Day Parkhoppers to the Enchant level when we come for our trip in September.

Not coming to the mainland much, but will allow us to plan a trip or two to meet up with my brother and his wife maybe in the spring and to take another trip next year around the same time for our Anniversary. Basically is the same as the Flex Pass for us and will bring down the ticket price for our 3rd or maybe 4th visit. Still have some airline vouchers to use up 😀

Jefro

We already booked a trip for the end of the month, we will be upgrading our day passes to Dream Keys (sounds weird) then.

We had Signature passes before so it’s no more than we are used to paying .
This is a good point. If it fits into what we are already ok (enough😁) paying, it def make it's more palatable. We had already booked our trip, so it works for us to upgrade timing wise too. Actually thankful for that.

fctiger

After watching this video, the differences in the programs are basically marginal:

I never bothered to see all the 'perks; like the Magic Key month, special Key discounts, popcorn buckets etc, but it all sounds the same as before (I never cared about that stuff before so never partook in it).

But yeah it's the old AP program under a different (but more magical ;)) name....just with reservations basically.

fctiger

Still struggling to remember the names too - maybe not memorable 🤣.

I think the wife and I will be upgrading our 3 Day Parkhoppers to the Enchant level when we come for our trip in September.

Not coming to the mainland much, but will allow us to plan a trip or two to meet up with my brother and his wife maybe in the spring and to take another trip next year around the same time for our Anniversary. Basically is the same as the Flex Pass for us and will bring down the ticket price for our 3rd or maybe 4th visit. Still have some airline vouchers to use up 😀

Nice! Where are you coming from? You said mainland so I'm assuming Hawaii, Alaska or maybe even Puerto Rico or something. But that is the great thing about having APs, it motivates you to plan more trips, even if you're flying in. I had a friend who had APs and they were from England and they still manage to hit the resort 3 times in that year and still saved money to boot with the top pass.

Jefro

Nice! Where are you coming from? You said mainland so I'm assuming Hawaii, Alaska or maybe even Puerto Rico or something. But that is the great thing about having APs, it motivates you to plan more trips, even if you're flying in. I had a friend who had APs and they were from England and they still manage to hit the resort 3 times in that year and still saved money to boot with the top pass.
Out in Kaua'i 🐔

Hawai'i is great, but it's always good to get off island. We have had an ticket to upgrade AP (Deluxe and then Flex) for the family on and off, and would come in the spring on staggered dates at the begining and end of the pass year. Couple years the ticket booth person even started our AP upgrade at the end of our visit so we didn't stagger them 😁

Anyway, it usually worked out to get 12 or so days over that time, and we would typically get a visit in the middle of the year for just us.
Definitely agree that having the "free" ticket (after the break even) motivated us to make plans.

aaronml

We still get physical tickets as a copy. The first time you present your barcode, even if it's already linked to your app, they print a physical ticket and take your photo.
Interesting then that they won’t be doing that for APs/MKs. Maybe they’ll stop doing it for normal tickets soon also?

aaronml

You will STILL get a physical ticket, it will just be the paper pass they hand you at the turnstyle. The PH tickets are also done digtically, but I was still handed a paper ticket after they scanned although I think the paper ticket is just optional if you want it IIRC.
According to the full terms and conditions on the DLR site, this is not true. Apparently by default you won’t get one, and if you request one it will cost $20.

waltography

Interesting then that they won’t be doing that for APs/MKs. Maybe they’ll stop doing it for normal tickets soon also?
I know it's said in the fine print but I'll believe it when I see it (or I guess don't see it 😂). I think what'll happen is the first time you redeem your Magic Key, you'll get a print-out ticket just like you do when you buy tickets online. (That's assuming they actually go through with paper passes, which I find hard to believe because having an actual pass feels more substantial and is a nominal way to "give" something to pass holders.)

I don't see paper going away anytime soon. People like paper since things happen - phone runs out of battery, server goes down, etc. In those situations, a paper record's good so you can still access things like boarding groups and stuff.

CaptinEO

After watching this video, the differences in the programs are basically marginal:

I never bothered to see all the 'perks; like the Magic Key month, special Key discounts, popcorn buckets etc, but it all sounds the same as before (I never cared about that stuff before so never partook in it).

But yeah it's the old AP program under a different (but more magical ;)) name....just with reservations basically.

I mean the video is a rehash of Disney's info. Nothing new. Vlogger wanted money.

fctiger

Out in Kaua'i 🐔

Hawai'i is great, but it's always good to get off island. We have had an ticket to upgrade AP (Deluxe and then Flex) for the family on and off, and would come in the spring on staggered dates at the begining and end of the pass year. Couple years the ticket booth person even started our AP upgrade at the end of our visit so we didn't stagger them 😁

Anyway, it usually worked out to get 12 or so days over that time, and we would typically get a visit in the middle of the year for just us.
Definitely agree that having the "free" ticket (after the break even) motivated us to make plans.

Just curious have you ever been to Aulani? Never been to Hawaii but would love to stay there if I ever could afford it before I die.

aaronml

I know it's said in the fine print but I'll believe it when I see it (or I guess don't see it 😂). I think what'll happen is the first time you redeem your Magic Key, you'll get a print-out ticket just like you do when you buy tickets online. (That's assuming they actually go through with paper passes, which I find hard to believe because having an actual pass feels more substantial and is a nominal way to "give" something to pass holders.)

I don't see paper going away anytime soon. People like paper since things happen - phone runs out of battery, server goes down, etc. In those situations, a paper record's good so you can still access things like boarding groups and stuff.
I hope you are correct. I suspect that they will start out with paper and only switch to plastic if enough people complain / it creates logistical issues.

I suspect part of the motivation is that a lot of people will buy new APs when the program first launches, and they don’t want long lines at the ticket booth to get plastic cards the way they used to for APs.

Jefro

Just curious have you ever been to Aulani? Never been to Hawaii but would love to stay there if I ever could afford it before I die.
I have not. A bit spendy for us, but friends that have gone rave about it.

Def come visit, even if not Aulani. There were some great deals on Alaska and Hawaiian right now. Like $198 round trip earlier this week.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom