News Disneyland Magic Key Program (all pass types will be available to purchase beginning March 5, 2024)

el_super

They're probably still running at far less than capacity. Perhaps 50%?

Certainly the attractions have been running at pretty good capacity since the lines are so low.

We also got the confirmation that ALL the keys are tied in to the same reservations pool.

I thought the opposite based on what was posted above? I saw some people online complaining that the Dream Keys had their availability booked out yesterday while other keys could still make reservations. They weren't too happy about that though, so maybe you were right and it was just a glitch.

Disstevefan1

We got our first date that reservations have been completely booked for both parks across all pass levels.

Tomorrow is completely full.
Weekends are going to be a challenge on both coasts, maybe even worse for DLR it being more of a local park once all those locals who previously had APs purchase their keys.

WDW (may not) be as much of an issue as I am not sure if they are even limiting capacity at WDW and Is just using it to plan staffing?

The real test for WDW will be when they fully resume selling APs (or whatever they will call the shell of a product they plan on offering to replace what WDW had in the way of APs)

tanc

I don't get why Disney thinks that Corona is the perfect time to experiment with these systems, it's like the whole thing is against you. I am debating whether or not to get an AP for WDW but I don't want to spend the money with no real certainty on anything.

SoCalDisneyLover

Gosh can't imagine paying this much $ and not being able to go.
The top passes are allowed to hold up to 6 reservations, so theoretically you could book the popular weekend days a week or two ahead, and be pretty well covered, while still keeping a couple of reservations in your pocket to use in case you wanted to visit on a less popular day.

It's obviously not the ideal, nor like it was in the past, but this is the new normal given that Disney is determined to control capacity through reservations. But to make it seem like they're completely restricting your ability to get in with those higher passes, is a little extreme.

Actually, the lower passes might have the best availability, since they have so many days blocked to begin with, and the ones left are the least popular, and therefore the least likely to sell out.

Stevek

Yes. Just pull up the MK calendar. By the way, the calendar shows Sat and Sun "no reservations available". That seems like a REALLY ominous sign this early in the program.

Touring Plans shows 5/10 crowd level for Sat ($154), 4/10 crowds for Sun ($139). I don't get why they closed off reservations.
Is it omimous or a testament to Disney sticking to their word that they will absolutely be limiting attendance. It is actually a bit encouraging to me and the reality is that the people who will likely suffer are those that want spur of the moment magic key holder trips.

SoCalDisneyLover

Is it omimous or a testament to Disney sticking to their word that they will absolutely be limiting attendance. It is actually a bit encouraging to me and the reality is that the people who will likely suffer are those that want spur of the moment magic key holder trips.
Yeah, spur of the moment visitors will be hurt the most. Not always, but on occasion, they might not be able to get in on a spontaneous visit.

I'm going to wait and see how things shake out once the excitement and newness of the "keys" wears off, and people act like they did back in 2019. And also when Disney begins to have the staffing necessary to operate at full capacity. Hopefully that is their intention, and they're waiting for the Covid situation to resolve itself fully, and right now that's not the case.

It's not necessarily a bad thing. The flip side is that wait times do not appear to be unreasonable, so you can accomplish a lot which wouldn't be possible if the parks were packed.

Parteecia

1. Has anyone found out if you can use a key without a smartphone?

2. Can you still link and remove keys from your app for boarding group purposes?

3. Are the ticket booths open? I ask because AFAIK everything is reservations and you can only upgrade from a ticket to a key online?

waltography

2. Can you still link and remove keys from your app for boarding group purposes?

3. Are the ticket booths open? I ask because AFAIK everything is reservations and you can only upgrade from a ticket to a key online?
1. You can, but you'll pay $20 for a physical paper copy at the ticket booths. Printed on the same paper as day tickets.

2. Yes.

3. Ticket booths are open but policies are applied inconsistently. People have reported being able to purchase/upgrade Magic Keys at the ticket booths, but some will just direct you to go online.

Sailor310

Someone at "that other site" knows someone that said you can get your first paper copy of your MK free. Replacements are $20.
Also, you can print out the barcode for your pass. I think that should work. I'm going to try that next time.

PS: Anytime I type "barcode" on this site, substitute "QR code". I'm from a time before bar codes, so anything you can scan is still a bar code to me.

Last edited:

Sailor310

I just filled out a questionnaire on the Magic Key program. I'd tried to think of all the complaining we've done on this site and feed it to them ( while being completely honest). I told them I didn't like having to make reservations, waiting 7 hours to buy the pass, the loss of days/discounts over similar passes, the confusion over making reservations, that they've already cut off reservations for a few days.

I honestly had to give them better than 'poor' on some things. I could see the bean counters rubbing their hands and saying "I knew we could put this one over on them", but if liked something, I did give it an appropriate rating.

They asked me if I felt valued by the Disney company. Guess what I checked!

I HATED to check the boxes that the merchandise discount wasn't important to me and that I seldom bought merchandise. "Dawggone those APers! They're cheap." I meant to get in a complaint about paying for a paper pass. but I had used up my 500 characters

Last edited:

Parteecia

Is it purchase date or activation date that determines if you're a charter member? I'd like to get the charter tchotchkes but I don't think I will be going soon.

Thank you all for answering my questions. I know I've had a lot of them.

SoCalDisneyLover

Is it purchase date or activation date that determines if you're a charter member? I'd like to get the charter tchotchkes but I don't think I will be going soon.

Thank you all for answering my questions. I know I've had a lot of them.
Supposedly the charter member swag gets shipped to you automatically, so it shouldn't matter whether you've activated yet, just have to purchase.

Stevek

I don't get why Disney thinks that Corona is the perfect time to experiment with these systems, it's like the whole thing is against you. I am debating whether or not to get an AP for WDW but I don't want to spend the money with no real certainty on anything.
They really can't wait given the uncertainty of the corona virus and staffing shortages. To me, it's actually the perfect time to pressure test the system given they have to make sure they are managing capacity.

Emmanuel

Supposedly the charter member swag gets shipped to you automatically, so it shouldn't matter whether you've activated yet, just have to purchase.

Yeah I think they just go by when you purchased the Key.

Official wording from the Magic Key Facebook page is: "Join by 10/30 and receive a charter member welcome package with this commemorative pin and much more"

Parteecia

I should've just waited for the email I just got:

Plus, if you purchase yours in the first 66 days you'll be a charter member and will receive a special, must-have welcome package complete with a limited-edition Magic Key pin and lanyard.

Jiggsawpuzzle35

I was at the resort after work yesterday and was able to hit up 5 rides each at each park including Rise of the Resistance. Incredicoaster was a walk on. I have not seen that there since 2001 when I worked. Weekdays are definitely the way to go. Park at Gardenwalk, spend 3-4 at the park and pay $9 for parking.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom