News Disneyland Magic Key Program (all pass types will be available to purchase beginning March 5, 2024)

Tamandua

Despite the fact that today is the last day that Legacy Passholders can use their discounts, it’s not useable on the app. Discounts can be made in person View attachment 580041
We were planning to use the last day of our 3 day tickets next month until they announced the magic keys and end to legacy AP discounts, so we quickly burned off our remaining days this month. I doubt we're going to get magic key passes unless there are some changes.

dovetail65

We were planning to use the last day of our 3 day tickets next month until they announced the magic keys and end to legacy AP discounts, so we quickly burned off our remaining days this month. I doubt we're going to get magic key passes unless there are some changes.
Aren't the passes almost the same except no parking on the cheaper versions? I just don't see major changes to these passes other than that. I am definitely more familiar with the WDW AP's so maybe I am missing something?

There has been a price increase about every two years for WDW AP. If you are waiting for something cheaper I don't think Disney in thier history ever went backwards with pricing on AP, not since I started buying them. And even the other theme parks I have AP with pretty much all force a purchase of the high end pass to get the parking included now, even Six Flags went to that this year. I had to jump two levels to get it. It seems to me the parking is the largest part of the increase for the Magic Key.

Emmanuel

Aren't the passes almost the same except no parking on the cheaper versions? I just don't see major changes to these passes other than that. I am definitely more familiar with the WDW AP's so maybe I am missing something?

There has been a price increase about every two years for WDW AP. If you are waiting for something cheaper I don't think Disney in thier history ever went backwards with pricing on AP, not since I started buying them. And even the other theme parks I have AP with pretty much all force a purchase of the high end pass to get the parking included now, even Six Flags went to that this year. I had to jump two levels to get it. It seems to me the parking is the largest part of the increase for the Magic Key.

One big difference is that the old APs here at DLR never had discounts on parking. Parking was included in the Premium/Signature passports while the lower ones did not but when I first got mine in 2005, the lower passes could add on parking for an additional cost and I guess if they kept renewing after the took it away they were grandfathered in meaning they kept it so long as they renewed.

The Signature Plus also some additional benefits such as free photopass downloads (i'm not sure if the regular signature had this) and Maxpass included already.

We did had the Flex Pass which was basically what Disney likely used as a template for WDW Park passes because Flex Pass was the first to offer days to "reserve" to visit a park

Plus the Magic Keys are actually a bit cheaper than the old passes. The last price increase for the Signature Plus raised it to $1449. The "Dream" Key which is basically the Sig Plus lite is $1399.

Ryan120420

One big difference is that the old APs here at DLR never had discounts on parking. Parking was included in the Premium/Signature passports while the lower ones did not but when I first got mine in 2005, the lower passes could add on parking for an additional cost and I guess if they kept renewing after the took it away they were grandfathered in meaning they kept it so long as they renewed.

The Signature Plus also some additional benefits such as free photopass downloads (i'm not sure if the regular signature had this) and Maxpass included already.

We did had the Flex Pass which was basically what Disney likely used as a template for WDW Park passes because Flex Pass was the first to offer days to "reserve" to visit a park

Plus the Magic Keys are actually a bit cheaper than the old passes. The last price increase for the Signature Plus raised it to $1449. The "Dream" Key which is basically the Sig Plus lite is $1399.

The base Signature Pass had this included until Disney introduced MaxPass in July 2017. After that, only Signature passholders who renewed their passes on-time, and who were Signature passholders when MaxPass was introduced, were allowed to keep the photopass benefit.

Tamandua

I'm mostly talking about changes at the parks, like getting rid of masks, adding more entertainment, trams, etc. It might be worth it if you are getting the old Disneyland experience, but you're not. Not even close.

CaptinEO

I'm mostly talking about changes at the parks, like getting rid of masks, adding more entertainment, trams, etc. It might be worth it if you are getting the old Disneyland experience, but you're not. Not even close.
You cant just drop in and visit either, the best benefit.

CaptinEO

That really depends on how much demand there is and how much they limit daily park reservations. But yes, in theory it should be less convenient to just drop in.
I think the concept of reservations has a lot of benefits, but if I'm paying the same price I used to for "all you can eat", without getting that same benefit, I feel it's greatly lost its appeal to me.

dovetail65

You cant just drop in and visit either, the best benefit.
I agree that I do not like the reservations system, but for the last 6 weeks I have tested just about every day, even a few minutes ago I tried and I can make a reservation for all 4 park on the same day. To make clear this is WDW not Disneyland.

My friends that live in my FL neighborhood already forgot to make reservations a couple times and made them right at the turnstiles. As much as we all use our phones and other than a month or so of busy times I believe guests on most days will be able to hop in their car and make a reservation spur of the moment with no more effort than making a text.

One of my neighbors down near WDW is elderly and did not make a reservation, actually they couldn't figure it out. When they arrived at the park they helped her make a reservation and the group walked in. She now knows how to do that, but didn't even have a clue about reservations. She has had a season pass for over 20 years and just never follows the Disney stuff expecting to get in with her pass. I could only imagine if that day if the park was busy and these 4 people in their late 70's, one 83 being turned back after parking and getting the scooter out.

I have not tried testing the latest in a day I could make a same day reservation maybe I'll test that. Another neighbor told me they arrived at EPCOT 2 hours before close with no reservation and walked right in, I am not clear if he made a fast reservation on the phone but it seemed like he didn't. Once Covid isn't as bad I will be down and test almost every day to see if I can get in without a reservation at certain hours etc. I also was able to make a reservation the same day for a day that the system stated was unavailable,that was strange. I am not so sure they will turn people away once they are at the parks turnstiles as long as they are not at capacity(which is actully rare).

Last edited:

Tamandua

I think the concept of reservations has a lot of benefits, but if I'm paying the same price I used to for "all you can eat", without getting that same benefit, I feel it's greatly lost its appeal to me.
I think they're going to want to keep reservations around even if they don't need them so people don't just show up outside of meal times. I think reservations are a way to force more spending by making it harder for people to avoid eating at the parks.

Stevek

Absolutely agree. Really depends on if there is enough benefits driven by the reservation system (lower crowds) to outweigh what was lost. Time will tell.

Stevek

Why does WDW keep getting brought up?
do not know dan levy GIF by CBC

CaptinEO

Absolutely the best benefit for me personally as well. I throughly enjoyed arriving at the parks for evening dinner and fun with my little sister and mom or my friends. Those visits were much more pleasing.
Thats so nice and I'm glad I'm not the only one. In fact, all my family and friends that were APs are passing on the "Magical Keys" because of the reservations. I wonder how popular they will actually be.

HairyChest

What are the chances introduces more types of passes that include parking for lower costs than the highest pass If APs don’t sell as much as they need them to?
I remember when flexpass was announced for cheaper then the deluxe pass but it had less black out dates and so many people were upset because they had already bought more expensive passes with more black out dates.
Im thinking of holding out to see if Disney is forced to release better valued passes that include parking.

Californian Elitist

Thats so nice and I'm glad I'm not the only one. In fact, all my family and friends that were APs are passing on the "Magical Keys" because of the reservations. I wonder how popular they will actually be.
I think the program will have plenty of customers. Lots of DLR AP-addicted folks out there that will spend their money and will be happy to adapt to the new regulations.

CaptinEO

I think the program will have plenty of customers. Lots of DLR AP-addicted folks out there that will spend their money and will be happy to adapt to the new regulations.
That's true. I'm sure plenty will still use it, but I think it won't be the same numbers as prior APs. Then again Disney also has less offerings and less staff than before.

CaptinEO

What are the chances introduces more types of passes that include parking for lower costs than the highest pass If APs don’t sell as much as they need them to?
I remember when flexpass was announced for cheaper then the deluxe pass but it had less black out dates and so many people were upset because they had already bought more expensive passes with more black out dates.
Im thinking of holding out to see if Disney is forced to release better valued passes that include parking.
I'd recommend anyone hold out on buying these unless they have a trip already planned. Who knows how this whole operation will go?

Stevek

Very...there are so many people with pixie dust flowing through their veins that they won't be able to give up the addiction.

Rat Chat has a poll running in it's latest article. I was surprised at the high % of folks opting for the most expensive Key...though maybe I should not be given its a Disney focused site.

1629138091434.png
v

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom