News Disneyland Magic Key Program (all pass types will be available to purchase beginning March 5, 2024)

BuzzedPotatoHead89

Seeing posts on here at least makes me feel less guilty that my fiancé and I can’t find a home while we dole out $$ on Magic Keys.

As @mickEblu noted I basically feel like if I’m going to live in California I might as well keep digging a hole. The Magic Key isn’t going to be the straw that breaks the camels back and makes a meaningful difference. At least I get pleasure out of going to Disneyland.

CaptainAmerica

I think this is probably true for a lot of passholders, my GF rents in SD and has been trying to buy a house for years but it’s just not attainable, and she makes pretty good money. In theory she’d be better off saving Disney money towards a house but a few thousand dollars a year doesn’t even make a dent towards a $700k house, without a massive raise it’s just an unrealistic price for most people, so she pays rent (which is also insanely high at $2400) and makes the best of it.
Where are you finding a $700K house in San Diego?

SuddenStorm

She works from home so she could live anywhere but she loves SD, I’ve been sending her home listings for Vegas she could easily afford for years but she doesn’t want to leave SD, sometimes happiness overrides logic.

If she's a Disneyland fan, Vegas is great since it's easy to make it out to Anaheim for a weekend trip.

There's a very strong case to be made that California's amenities make it worthwhile- world class theme parks, the best movie theaters in the world, incredible food, high quality museums, the beach, the mountains. Not to mention the weather.

There's a reason it's as expensive as it is. My current situation is very fortunate- I won't even mention what I spend on rent each month- but my cost of living is incredibly low, and it makes it very hard to want to move back, even though that was the plan in 2020.

Wendy Pleakley

I'm sure a large majority of that monthly payment group is maxed out or they would be smart enough to save up and pay in full or buy the cheaper passes. $1600 could be used for better things like food, gas and down payments on a house.

There's no reason to pay in full when it's an interest free payment plan. To me it's comparable to a gym membership. If you pay monthly and use it regularly it's perfectly reasonable.

Different than paying for a one-week one-time trip on credit and then struggling to pay it off.

CaptainAmerica

There's no reason to pay in full when it's an interest free payment plan. To me it's comparable to a gym membership. If you pay monthly and use it regularly it's perfectly reasonable.

Different than paying for a one-week one-time trip on credit and then struggling to pay it off.
It's a psychology problem.

Paying monthly when you can afford it is fine. But the ability to pay monthly makes people who can't afford it think they can.

Vegas Disney Fan

Where are you finding a $700K house in San Diego?
Townhomes in Poway/Sabre Springs area. I can’t even fathom that price, I paid 1/3 of that for a single family home in Vegas that’s twice the size (and also doubled In value since I bought it).

In the 7 years we’ve been dating her rent has gone up almost $500 a month and I’ve nearly paid off my house and have $400k in equity. But she loves SD and nothing I say will convince her to leave. I’m hoping to move to Clermont/Horizon West in a few years and buy a home with cash, maybe that’ll convince her there’s bigger priorities than living in SD. I doubt it though, she loves SD, which is horrible from a financial perspective but fantastic from a mental health perspective.

CaptainAmerica

Townhomes in Poway/Sabre Springs area. I can’t even fathom that price, I paid 1/3 of that for a single family home in Vegas that’s twice the size (and also doubled In value since I bought it).

In the 7 years we’ve been dating her rent has gone up almost $500 a month and I’ve nearly paid off my house and have $400k in equity. But she loves SD and nothing I say will convince her to leave. I’m hoping to move to Clermont/Horizon West in a few years and buy a home with cash, maybe that’ll convince her there’s bigger priorities than living in SD.
I love talking to California people because they make me feel like I'm getting away with a bargain living in Connecticut haha.

Sailor310

In the 7 years we’ve been dating her rent has gone up almost $500 a month and I’ve nearly paid off my house and have $400k in equity. But she loves SD and nothing I say will convince her to leave. I’m hoping to move to Clermont/Horizon West in a few years and buy a home with cash, maybe that’ll convince her there’s bigger priorities than living in SD. I doubt it though, she loves SD, which is horrible from a financial perspective but fantastic from a mental health perspective.
Growing up my family would rent an apartment in La Jolla (near SD, where TP2000's family get away is) and spend the month of July so dad could be in a tennis tournament. I can appreciate your GF's love for SD.

Wendy Pleakley

It's a psychology problem.

Paying monthly when you can afford it is fine. But the ability to pay monthly makes people who can't afford it think they can.

If the monthly payment fits within one's budget they can afford it.

Seems kind of straight forward to me.

People can get into trouble when they overdo the amount of things on monthly plans, but it ultimately comes down to monthly expenses versus income.

flynnibus

Premium Member

$2400 is starting point for townhome rents in my zipcode... STARTING.. and we don't even get the perfect SD weather :)

I don't understand how/why people pay $4k/month rents unless they are literally temporary stays paid by corporations.

Vegas Disney Fan

Growing up my family would rent an apartment in La Jolla (near SD, where TP2000's family get away is) and spend the month of July so dad could be in a tennis tournament. I can appreciate your GF's love for SD.
The emotional side of me absolutely gets it because I love visiting SD, it’s beautiful and there’s tons to do, my practical side just overrules the emotional side when it comes to where to live.

What’s ironic is she’s more practical when It comes to travel and I’m more emotional, I spend like a drunken sailor on vacation…my practical side only shows up a month later when I’m paying off the CC and trying to figure out what we spent all the money on.

Disstevefan1

The emotional side of me absolutely gets it because I love visiting SD, it’s beautiful and there’s tons to do, my practical side just overrules the emotional side when it comes to where to live.

What’s ironic is she’s more practical when It comes to travel and I’m more emotional, I spend like a drunken sailor on vacation…my practical side only shows up a month later when I’m paying off the CC and trying to figure out what we spent all the money on.
TWDC LOVES folks who spend like a drunken sailor on vacation!!!

Vegas Disney Fan

I had several friends who renewed yesterday and their hold time varied from 5-12 hours… feels like we’re the only Keys who decided not to renew.

That doesn’t give me much hope for lighter crowd days in the future.

wowsmom

I had several friends who renewed yesterday and their hold time varied from 5-12 hours… feels like we’re the only Keys who decided not to renew.

That doesn’t give me much hope for lighter crowd days in the future.
Not sure how much this affects wait time but it seems a lot of people join the queue on multiple devices - like phone, laptop, desktop. I've seen people say they had 5-8 queues they joined and they'll keep them all open until they complete their transaction in one.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom