News Disneyland Magic Key Program (all pass types will be available to purchase beginning March 5, 2024)

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
Is this not essentially an admission of guilt? Is Disney just going to settle to make it go away quietly?
That's what I was thinking. Disney needed some time to fine tune and lock down the new legalese wording and now that it is set they will pay off (settle with) the person who filed the suit which will probably save them money in the long run before it gets into class-action territory.

Who really won in all of this? I guess the person who filed the lawsuit, because now dream keys are gone and so are no-blackout passes....at least while the reservation system exists.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Is this not essentially an admission of guilt? Is Disney just going to settle to make it go away quietly?
No admission of guilt, its a standard boiler plate part of most business contracts since at least the 80s or 90s. Its surprising it wasn't in the original Key contract, as it was in the AP contract as I recall.

mickEblu

Text exchange I had with my wife a few minutes ago.

29FAF6CF-BAB4-4A96-8D00-F63946ABC3B2.jpeg

Phroobar

Haha. Yeah, I don't see Disney doing it. But if they were serious about cutting the number of passholders, I think ditching the monthly payment option would go a long way.
I can hear people going, "it's my money. I can do with it as I want." as they carry 10K in credit card debt and pay rent. We are in serious trouble when these people retire with no savings but have monthly payments on their Disneyland annual pass.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I can hear people going, "it's my money. I can do with it as I want." as they carry 10K in credit card debt and pay rent. We are in serious trouble when these people retire with no savings but have monthly payments on their Disneyland annual pass.
Over the course of 10 years, about 0.01% of the U.S. population attend a domestic Disney park. And I'm sure not all of them are maxing out their credit to the point of eventual bankruptcy to do so.

So, your apocalyptic scenario is unlikely to be caused by people overextending their means to go to a Disney park.

Also, monthly payments for DL annual passes are only for paying for one year's worth of APs. It's not like they'll be forced to pay for them when they're bedridden in a nursing home.

Phroobar

Over the course of 10 years, about 0.01% of the U.S. population attend a domestic Disney park. And I'm sure not all of them are maxing out their credit to the point of eventual bankruptcy to do so.

So, your apocalyptic scenario is unlikely to be caused by people overextending their means to go to a Disney park.

Also, monthly payments for DL annual passes are only for paying for one year's worth of APs. It's not like they'll be forced to pay for them when they're bedridden in a nursing home.
I'm sure a large majority of that monthly payment group is maxed out or they would be smart enough to save up and pay in full or buy the cheaper passes. $1600 could be used for better things like food, gas and down payments on a house.

mickEblu

I'm sure a large majority of that monthly payment group is maxed out or they would be smart enough to save up and pay in full or buy the cheaper passes. $1600 could be used for better things like food, gas and down payments on a house.

Ideally yes but when you find yourself having to be millionaire to afford a decent home in Southern California, entertainment and Magic Keys help dull the pain.

In other words, when you find yourself so far out of the game, it’s easy to throw your hands up and say I’m just going to enjoy myself and deal with it later.

mightynine

Except for when those good-for-nothing grandchildren ask Maw-Maw to keep paying for theirs! And we'll totally come down and see you next year, we promise!

SuddenStorm

Ideally yes but when you find yourself having to be millionaire to afford a decent home in Southern California, entertainment and Magic Keys help dull the pain.

In other words, when you find yourself so far out of the game, it’s easy to throw your hands up and say I’m just going to enjoy myself and deal with it later.

Not to mention how important entertainment is. Some people way overspend on cars. Or dining out. Or travel.

If someone gets their entertainment from Disneyland and is good with their money, I don't see a problem with them getting a Magic Key.

Now if it's going on a credit card that isn't getting paid off- that's a problem.

Vegas Disney Fan

I think this is probably true for a lot of passholders, my GF rents in SD and has been trying to buy a house for years but it’s just not attainable, and she makes pretty good money. In theory she’d be better off saving Disney money towards a house but a few thousand dollars a year doesn’t even make a dent towards a $700k house, without a massive raise it’s just an unrealistic price for most people, so she pays rent (which is also insanely high at $2400) and makes the best of it.

SuddenStorm

I think this is probably true for a lot of passholders, my GF rents in SD and has been trying to buy a house for years but it’s just not attainable, and she makes pretty good money. In theory she’d be better off saving Disney money towards a house but a few thousand dollars a year doesn’t even make a dent towards a $700k house, without a massive raise it’s just an unrealistic price for most people, so she pays rent (which is also insanely high at $2400) and makes the best of it.

This kind of story is a huge part of what's keeping me from moving back to California.

mickEblu

Plus who wants to live to work and not enjoy themselves just to say they own a home that they can barely afford? Things have to be affordable and attainable within reason or the whole system collapses.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom