• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Disneyland hotels

WildernessLodge

Original Poster
Has anyone stayed at the 3 official hotels or spent much time there? I know a lot of people say to not stay in them, but we want to stay at least for part of our trip just to have the immersive experience. Any reccos? Obviously Paradise Pier is the cheapest but the others look cooler (and way more expensive lol). Just looking for any advice based on hotels themselves and any perks.

TwilightZone

Advertisement
I've been to them. They are fine. I remember the bed had a built in music box.
Other than the lobbies they aren't very immersive.
I've been to Paradise Pier and normal disneyland hotel (fronteirland suite).

zooey

I’ve stayed in them a bunch, but can’t stomach rack rates anymore. Your best bet is to try and rent points with a DVC resale service.

ght

Not sure when you are going but The Disneyland Hotel pools will be undergoing a lot of construction this spring, so if you are interested in staying there check the construction dates if you want to avoid staying there while it is going on.

WildernessLodge

Original Poster
Not sure when you are going but The Disneyland Hotel pools will be undergoing a lot of construction this spring, so if you are interested in staying there check the construction dates if you want to avoid staying there while it is going on.
Late Feb/early March so I don't think it's swimming weather anyway =( but thanks!

Gitson Shiggles

There was me, that is Mickey, and my three droogs
Premium Member
I’ve stayed at the Disneyland Hotel. It’s a standard multi-tower hotel with a bunch of Disney nostalgia thrown in. It’s not an immersive hotel, but it’s definitely Disney-themed. I enjoy staying here.

Out of the three, The Grand Californian is the most similar to resort hotels at WDW. This is in terms of immersivity and layout. I have only eaten here.

I have not been to Paradise Pier Hotel, but from what I know and have seen on vlogs, it is a Disney resort shoehorned into a meh hotel.

Phrubruh

I've stayed in all three hotels and they are all overpriced for the room and services you receive. When planning a trip, how much time are you planning on spending at the hotel vs the parks? Why spend a ton on the hotel if your just going to sleep there? Save that money for the park instead. There are a lot of non-Disney hotels that are just as close in walking distance, are in better shape and cost less. I guess if you need that picture of Mickey on the wall and your Donald duck soap then go for it!

Darkbeer1

Remember, with a non-Disney Hotel in Anaheim (Forget your Orlando WDW experience, it is totally different here in SoCal), you usually get a free breakfast, newer and very close to the parks.

In fact, some of the non-Disney Lodging is closer to the parks than the 3 Disney ones (measured from the Hotel Lobby to the center of the Main Entrance Plaza).

Disneyland is in the middle of a vibrant Urban area, with many options for shopping (including Outlets), Restaurants, Sports and other visitor attractions, including Knott's Berry Farm, Universal Studios, Six Flags Magic Mountain, LEGOLAND California and SeaWorld.

https://visitanaheim.org/

I like the three new Hotels at Harbor and Katella, which are the Residence Inn, Hyatt House and Springhill Suites. I am giving you links, since there are multiple locations of some brands in the Anaheim area.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g29092-d10517842-Reviews-Residence_Inn_by_Marriott_at_Anaheim_Resort_Convention_Center-Anaheim_California.html

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g29092-d6934980-Reviews-SpringHill_Suites_at_Anaheim_Resort_Convention_Center-Anaheim_California.html

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g29092-d10259462-Reviews-Hyatt_House_at_Anaheim_Resort_Convention_Center-Anaheim_California.html

All three are walking distance to the parks, a simple walk up Harbor Blvd. Also all three are highly rated.

Salted Nut Roll

I stayed at the Paradise Pier, and loved it! It's smaller than the others, and not as ostentatious, but it still felt to me like a really nice hotel, not "budget" at all. I actually prefer the casual beach vibe to the sprawling and dimly-lit GCH that we passed through, and it felt immersive to me. The beachy Disney decor throughout the place was a fun touch, but the best part by far was the view. My friend and I sprang for the "premier view," and our rooms looked directly over the DCA park. It was beautiful at night, and it was fun to see all the activity down there in the morning before we left the hotel. Also, at that time, World of color was running, so we got to watch that from the comfort of our room, while the sound played from the hotel TV.
I haven't stayed at either of the other hotels, but I imagine the GCH has similar views from its rooms. It comes down to what kind of vibe you prefer, and how much money you're willing to shell out.

WildernessLodge

Original Poster
I stayed at the Paradise Pier, and loved it! It's smaller than the others, and not as ostentatious, but it still felt to me like a really nice hotel, not "budget" at all. I actually prefer the casual beach vibe to the sprawling and dimly-lit GCH that we passed through, and it felt immersive to me. The beachy Disney decor throughout the place was a fun touch, but the best part by far was the view. My friend and I sprang for the "premier view," and our rooms looked directly over the DCA park. It was beautiful at night, and it was fun to see all the activity down there in the morning before we left the hotel. Also, at that time, World of color was running, so we got to watch that from the comfort of our room, while the sound played from the hotel TV.
I haven't stayed at either of the other hotels, but I imagine the GCH has similar views from its rooms. It comes down to what kind of vibe you prefer, and how much money you're willing to shell out.
That's awesome! I don't see how we wouldn't like it other than the money. Bc they're so expensive, we are thinking about staying in one of the Disney hotels for 2 of the 4 nights and then just staying somewhere else close but cheaper on the last 2 nights.

Reggie Colorado

If cost is not an object, the Grand Californian and Disneyland Hotel are quite nice, convenient, and relatively immersive. The Disneyland Hotel feels more "classic" Disney, while the Californian is fancier and more comprehensively themed (and has its own entrance to California Adventure). Neither is a value for the price, but they work as a splurge. I would double check to make sure no major construction is going on.

I only visited Paradise Pier once for the character meal, but it seemed pretty much like a generic budget hotel with Disney decorations shoe-horned in, which fits its history (it was a non-Disney hotel that Disney bought and converted). The beach theme came off as kind of cheap and tacky. I would skip it unless you are set on staying onsite for the lowest cost.

One bonus to staying onsite is that you get early admission each day to one of the parks.

The hotels directly across from the parks on Harbor Blvd (north of Katella Ave and south of I-5 freeway) are easy walking distance to the main park entrances and often offer great deals.

WildernessLodge

Original Poster
To get the Extra Magic Hour, do you have to buy park tickets with the hotel? We were going to book the hotel for 2 nights at a Disney hotel and then move to another (cheaper) hotel. But we want to buy the 3day park ticket. So I'm confused how that would work to get the 2 Extra Magic Hours on the nights we are staying in the Disney hotels...

Darkbeer1

To get the Extra Magic Hour, do you have to buy park tickets with the hotel? We were going to book the hotel for 2 nights at a Disney hotel and then move to another (cheaper) hotel. But we want to buy the 3day park ticket. So I'm confused how that would work to get the 2 Extra Magic Hours on the nights we are staying in the Disney hotels...
If you split Hotels, you are eligible for 2 different programs.

The basic one is a "Magic Morning" with a 3 Day Parkhopper.

This gets you into Disneyland Park one morning 1 hour early. The Barcode tracks your one Early Entry.

https://disneyland.disney.go.com/guest-services/magic-morning-early-admission/

As for the Three Disney Hotels, once again, you are NOT at WDW.

The Hotel program is one hour early at either the Disneyland Park (where you share the park with the Magic Morning Guests or DCA.

https://disneyland.disney.go.com/guest-services/extra-magic-hour-early-admission/

To access the "Extra Magic Hour", you show your room key at the turnstiles. Save your Room Key to prove you have a standard Magic Morning left after checking out. *The CMs know the issue, and will override the computer, since the Barcode will track your first DL early entry).

You can check-in the morning of your first date extra early, where they will process your info, and issue you the room keys, which are printed with your name and dates of stay. The type of admission doesn't matter.

I hate the process of checking in and out of Hotels, so honestly, I would stay at the Springhill Suites for the entire stay, use the one Magic Morning that comes with your ParkHopper, get MaxPass for all three days, using the savings from not staying in the Disney owned hotels, and enjoy the fireworks and World of Color performances from the rooftop pool area at the Springhill.

Top Bottom