Disneyland Hotel vs. Paradise Pier Hotel

SGarv

Original Poster
So I am a very new DVC member and thinking about an impromptu trip to Disneyland for 2-3 days while my 5yo and I are in CA in November. I don't plan to use our points as DGC is booked for DVC so I thought I would just get a normal hotel room and we could save staying at DGC for when the whole family heads there someday (husband and 1 yo are not joining us on this trip). I looked at both hotels and both seem pretty cool. I do like the deluxe's at WDW but am fine with most of the moderates there. How do these two hotels compare to WDW hotels. Is Paradise Pier more like a value hotel? The theming looks very cool and seems like my 5yo would really like it but wasn't sure able all the logistics. Can you walk to the two parks from all three of the resorts? Share your positives and negatives of both resorts with me if you don't mind. Thanks for the help in deciding.

Darkbeer1

Ok, you should first get online and look at a map of the area and in scale, such as Google Maps.

The Disneyland resort is a lot different than WDW. The two theme parks are right next to each other and share the Main Entrance Plaza, and easy to park-hop. All three of the Disney owned Hotels are within walking distance.

Paradise Pier is the farthest away, but only a 3/4 of a mile walk. But many non-Disney Hotels and Inns/Motels are just as close or closer. One of the Inns, the Park Vue is the closest lodging to the Main Entrance, closer than the Grand Californian. (Using the walk from the Lobby).

The Disneyland Hotel is nice and seems to be the most "Disney" in feel. The Paradise Pier is an older Hotel Disney bought from another company. It has some serious elevator wait issues at peak times.

But I would look at some non-Disney options, especially the ones that have been recently built, such as the Courtyard by Marriott and the Holiday Inn Express are close, and just a bit farther away than the PPH, you have a set of 3 Hotels at the corner of Harbor and Katella that are brand new. Hyatt House, Springhill Suites and Residence Inn by Marriott. When looking at these properties, make sure you are looking at the specific address, as there are multiple Hotels of the same brand within blocks of each other.

All the non-Disney Hotels I mentioned are highly rated, most come with a free breakfast, and cheaper than the PPH.

Disney also doesn't offer many perks for staying on property, which is early entry each day of your stay, one hour before official opening at either Disneyland or California Adventure depending on which day of the week it is. Many multi-day DLR tickets come with one Magic Morning, which is early entry to Disneyland on the same days the Hotel Guests get it. So many folks use that one early entry, and stay off-site to save money.

If I was in your shoes, if close is important, and you are Happy with a clean room and a pool, opt for the non-Disney Hotels near the main crosswalk, such as the Park Vue Inn or the Best Western Plus Park Place Inn and Mini-Suites.

If you want something nicer, and don't mind the walk, one of the new Hotels I mentioned earlier.

TP2000

So I am a very new DVC member and thinking about an impromptu trip to Disneyland for 2-3 days while my 5yo and I are in CA in November. I don't plan to use our points as DGC is booked for DVC so I thought I would just get a normal hotel room and we could save staying at DGC for when the whole family heads there someday (husband and 1 yo are not joining us on this trip). I looked at both hotels and both seem pretty cool. I do like the deluxe's at WDW but am fine with most of the moderates there. How do these two hotels compare to WDW hotels. Is Paradise Pier more like a value hotel? The theming looks very cool and seems like my 5yo would really like it but wasn't sure able all the logistics. Can you walk to the two parks from all three of the resorts? Share your positives and negatives of both resorts with me if you don't mind. Thanks for the help in deciding.

Read the notes from Darkbeer above, he's right.

The only thing to add is that the elevator issue at Paradise Pier has been fixed; they installed all new elevators that have a car assignment process that has radically improved the efficiency and lowered the wait times in the mornings when everyone is trying to get down to the lobby to head to the park.

Just bring a good pair of walking shoes, and Disneyland is your oyster.

SGarv

Original Poster
I'm fully aware that Disney is a racket as far as their hotels being way over priced for what you get but because I don't know when I will get back out there i would really like to stay at one of their hotels. From these responses I'm leaning towards Disneyland Resort.....Thoughts?

Okay I also have a follow up question that I am confused about......if you are staying on property do you automatically get to enter early each day or do you have to pay for it and only get it one day. When I was pricing the trip there was a option for early entry one day for like an additional $30 i think or something like that. Is that something I need to purchase to get it early or does that come with staying on property like it does in WDW? Thanks again.

kkocka

Magic Morning switches daily between parks, so once morning you'll have DL and the next DCA. Having stayed in all hotels, if you must stay on property you'd get more of a worthwhile experience at the Disneyland Hotel. Your 5 year old will appreciate it as well. Funny enough, if I recall correctly the two hotels (Paradise Pier and Disneyland Hotel) are not that far apart in nightly cost.

On the other hand you'd have a lot more pocket money staying offsite but nearby, even if that hotel itself is still overpriced than if it were 100 miles away.

jaxonp

PPH is a joke. Disney should be ashamed. Spend 100 bucks more and stay at the DLH if you must stay onsite. PPH is highway robbery for what it is. Old, dingy, joke of a pool, outdated rooms, terrible onsite food, lame theme and no ambiance. Stayed there recently for the Disneyland Half Marathon and was incredibly disappointed. For that money, you're better staying at one of the hotels on Harbor. So many nice options now, plus staying by Harbor and Katella puts your right by CVS & Walgreens which is important for affordable drinks and snack etc. If money is of no concern, then stay at the Grand. We can almost never use our DVC points there as its almost always booked. I think they have something like 42 DVC rooms... It is amazing.

Curious Constance

I'm fully aware that Disney is a racket as far as their hotels being way over priced for what you get but because I don't know when I will get back out there i would really like to stay at one of their hotels. From these responses I'm leaning towards Disneyland Resort.....Thoughts?

Okay I also have a follow up question that I am confused about......if you are staying on property do you automatically get to enter early each day or do you have to pay for it and only get it one day. When I was pricing the trip there was a option for early entry one day for like an additional $30 i think or something like that. Is that something I need to purchase to get it early or does that come with staying on property like it does in WDW? Thanks again.

Disneyland Hotel is my favorite, and with a young child, I think it's definitely the way to go.

Stevek

Disneyland Hotel is my favorite, and with a young child, I think it's definitely the way to go.
I would agree. The pool alone make it a significant step up from PPH. That being said, the one time we stayed at PPH we had zero issues, thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. If money isn't an issue, stay at DLH. If someone wants to stay in a Disney hotel but are on more of a budget, PPH is just fine IMO.

Stevek

PPH is a joke. Disney should be ashamed. Spend 100 bucks more and stay at the DLH if you must stay onsite. PPH is highway robbery for what it is. Old, dingy, joke of a pool, outdated rooms, terrible onsite food, lame theme and no ambiance. Stayed there recently for the Disneyland Half Marathon and was incredibly disappointed. For that money, you're better staying at one of the hotels on Harbor. So many nice options now, plus staying by Harbor and Katella puts your right by CVS & Walgreens which is important for affordable drinks and snack etc. If money is of no concern, then stay at the Grand. We can almost never use our DVC points there as its almost always booked. I think they have something like 42 DVC rooms... It is amazing.
For the money you pay, you would be better to always stay at one of the nicer hotels on Harbor. Disneyland hotels are not a value but I can't fault Disney for charging what they do given their high occupancy rates.

jaxonp

For the money you pay, you would be better to always stay at one of the nicer hotels on Harbor. Disneyland hotels are not a value but I can't fault Disney for charging what they do given their high occupancy rates.

Yea but at least the Disneyland hotel is beautiful, has nice grounds, pool, restaurants etc... What does PPH have??? The grand is the most beautiful of all and has gate access to a park. While I agree, that they are all over priced, PPH is the most overpriced for what you get!

Stevek

Yea but at least the Disneyland hotel is beautiful, has nice grounds, pool, restaurants etc... What does PPH have??? The grand is the most beautiful of all and has gate access to a park. While I agree, that they are all over priced, PPH is the most overpriced for what you get!
PPH does have a view of DCA if you are willing to pay for it. It's still has a "Disney" feel and while the pool pales in comparison to the other two resorts, my daughters spent a couple hours thoroughly enjoying the water slide. Again, I wasn't saying it is a value or isn't over-priced. My point was that if you still wanted to stay at a DL hotel and get a basic Disney experience, it's fine.

Question...did someone say earlier that guests of PPH could access the DL hotel pool?

jocarol

When I was pricing the trip there was a option for early entry one day for like an additional $30 i think or something like that

Off-site guests can purchase tickets that include one "Magic Morning" for one day of early entry at Disneyland park. On-site guests get early entry to whichever park has it that day, for their entire stay, no extra cost.

I have stayed at PPH several times and never been disappointed. Once had a theme park view room and my granddaughter woke up every morning pointing at the rides there. You can also go down by the pool and watch the Disneyland fireworks with the audio piped in. Good way to avoid the rush leaving after the fireworks.
Another thing is that you can get to Disneyland easily. There is an entrance to the Monorail from that end of Downtown Disney which makes for easy entrance to the park, and seldom in my experience has a long line.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom