Disneyland Hotel Renovation- Starts Aug 09

nemofinder22

Original Poster
This is great news, Grand Californian's expansion and DVC units are opening soon Sept. 23, 2009, and now Disneyland Hotel will finally get the upgrade/renovation it deserves. I cant wait to see the end result in 2012, sounds like 2012 will be another great year at DLR with Cars Land and this too.

http://www.disneylandnews.com/press...d+hotel+to+undergo+significant+renovation.htm
ANAHEIM, CALIF. June 16, 2009 – Beginning in August 2009, Southern California’s landmark Disneyland Hotel will start a significant renovation project that will include major improvements to its guest rooms and considerable changes to the exterior of the hotel. The hotel will remain open during the renovation, which will be conducted in phases, and is scheduled to be completed in 2012.

“We are excited to embark on the largest and most extensive renovation of one of Disney’s classic hotels,” said Disneyland Resort President Ed Grier. “This renovation provides us with the opportunity to bring new magic to this historic hotel, which enables us to enhance the Disney experience that our guests have come to expect. “It also reinforces our ongoing commitment and investment in the Anaheim Resort District – working with the city and area businesses to continue to evolve the District into a world-class, multiday tourist destination,” added Grier.

Significant Guest Room Upgrades, New Room Amenities and Exterior Enhancements
Disneyland Hotel’s renovated guest rooms will feature an all-new contemporary look with exquisite Disney touches woven into the décor. A stunning new headboard that features an artistically carved representation of Disneyland Park’s famous Sleeping Beauty Castle will serve as the focal point in each guest room. The background on the headboard uses fiber optics to create a magical skyline with fireworks – bringing the immersive park experience into the room. Rooms also will feature black and white art that will take guests back in time, reinforcing the nostalgia and history of Walt’s first theme park.

When completed, guest rooms will boast new flat screen TVs, mini-refrigerators, coffeemakers, safes capable of holding laptop computers and new state-of-the-art telephone, cable and wireless Internet connections. Upgrades to plumbing, electrical and heating and air conditioning systems also are included in the project.

Disneyland Resort’s original hotel, built in 1955, also will experience a noteworthy change to its exterior. All of the three towers will feature an updated look, with large windows that will give the outside a sleek, radiant blue tint. The windows will replace the current sliding doors and faux balcony railings and are specially designed to be energy efficient and to extensively filter outside noise.

“The new design for the hotel’s exterior will enhance the existing towers and compliment the Resort as a whole. The windows will feature a sky blue reflective glass that channels the feel of our bright California sky,” said Mike Montague, director of resort development for Walt Disney Imagineering.

The Disneyland Hotel is composed of three main structures – the Magic, Wonder and Dreams towers. Construction will take place in one vertical half of a tower at a time – leaving the rest of the tower open for guests. The Dreams tower will be the first to be renovated and is scheduled to be completed in June 2010.

Popular Choice for Convention Visitors
In addition to being a top choice for vacationing families, the Disneyland Hotel has long been a favorite for meeting and convention planners because of its prime location and size – and direct access to more than 136,000 square feet of convention space. Anaheim hosts hundreds of groups each year and the renovation will help maintain the city’s premiere position as a meeting destination.

“We are thrilled with Disney’s plans to renovate the Disneyland Hotel,” said Charles W. Ahlers, president of the Anaheim/Orange County Visitor and Convention Bureau. “With the renovation of the hotel and the expansion of Disney’s Grand Californian, coupled with other new hotel developments that are coming to Anaheim over the next few years, our city will continue to be a premier destination for convention and meeting planners.”

Energy Efficient Enhancements
As with other construction and enhancements that are underway throughout the Disneyland Resort, the renovation will include energy efficient upgrades. The most notable feature will be the hotel’s new windows. With their reflective capabilities and double-pane glass, the windows will change the look of the exterior of the hotel dramatically, while reducing energy consumption by keeping guest rooms at the desired temperature.

The use of occupancy sensors in guest rooms, low-flow toilets, energy efficient light bulbs and paint low in volatile organic compounds are just a few more of the ways that the hotel will offer guests a “green” lodging experience.

Renovation is Part of Larger Resort Expansion
The Disneyland Hotel renovation is a part of a larger expansion project underway throughout the Resort. Disney’s California Adventure Park is undergoing a multiyear expansion project that includes new experiences, attractions and night-time spectaculars, culminating in 2012 with the opening a brand new land – Cars Land. The four-star Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa is also undergoing an expansion, adding 200 hotel rooms and 50 two-bedroom villas that are part of the Disney Vacation Club, which will make its first West Coast debut when it opens in the fall of 2009.
http://www.disneylandnews.com/press...d+hotel+to+undergo+significant+renovation.htm

Disneyfalcon

This is great news, Grand Californian's expansion and DVC units are opening soon Sept. 23, 2009, and now Disneyland Hotel will finally get the upgrade/renovation it deserves. I cant wait to see the end result in 2012, sounds like 2012 will be another great year at DLR with Cars Land and this too.

That is good news!:sohappy:

nemofinder22

Original Poster
^I can't wait to see how it turns out.

A look at the mock up room, look carefully out the window and its the tower from the Goofy's Kitchen/Coffee House building.

http://www.mouseinfo.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=21716&original=1&c=searchresults&searchid=41474

Some more info-

Construction will proceed at one vertical half of a tower at a time — starting with the Dreams tower, which is scheduled to be completed by June 2010. The Magic and Wonder towers will follow. The hotel and all three towers will remain open throughout construction.
http://travel.latimes.com/daily-deal-blog/index.php/disneyland-hotel-4646/

cris99

I called the disney world hot line for reservation for a room but it is all full. I don't know why and i really want to be there with my family.

worldfanatic

Being right next to the Grand Californian has made the Disneyland Hotel really look second rate.
It had to be done.
I'm excited!! With it's already awesome pool and middle courtyard area, it'll challenge the GC for DL Resort Supremacy.

nemofinder22

Original Poster
More info has come out about the Disneyland Hotel renovation, mainly the start date and the tower. Starts Aug 24 with the Dreams tower, formally the Sierra tower or the middle tower.

Concept of the new rooms
http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/blog.php?b=449

http://ocresort.freedomblogging.com/2009/08/13/major-makeovers-coming-to-disney-hotels/14455/

The oldest Disney hotel is about to undergo a major renovation, while a newer Disney hotel is about to finish a big expansion, Disney officials have announced.

A head-to-toe makeover of the Disneyland Hotel, which opened in 1955, is set to begin Aug. 24. The remodeling will begin in the Dreams Tower, which is the middle building of the iconic hotel. CLICK ON THE PHOTO TO SEE THE RENOVATED ROOMS.

Workers are expected to start with the top floors and work their way down, eventually reaching all 970 rooms in the hotel through 2012, said John McClintock, a spokesman for the Disneyland Resort.

Nearby, the expansion of the Grand Californian Hotel and Spa is nearly complete. On Sept. 23, the hotel is set to open up about 200 new rooms and 50 villas to occupants. The villas are the first West Coast dwellings in the Disney Vacation Club, the company’s time-share program. Read the first story about the Grand Californian expansion HERE.

The hotel will have a total of 945 units when done.

Disney does not release numbers on how many people have bought into the club’s villas, said Michele Himmelberg, a Disneyland Resort spokeswoman.

We’re expecting to get a sneak peek of the villas before they open to the public. We’ll let you know more when we get inside.

DTM93

Wow, the new concept of the rooms for the Disneyland Hotel look amazing.

And to think I was just about to book a trip there for 2010, I think I will wait for 2012, the way it is going Disneyland Resort California is gonna be pretty great by 2012.

nemofinder22

Original Poster
Theres a video at the link below it worth a watch.

http://ocresort.freedomblogging.com/2009/09/04/disneyland-hotel-rooms-get-makeover/16825/

Disneyland Hotel rooms get makeover
September 4th, 2009, 4:41 pm · Post a Comment · posted by Mark Eades

Guests staying at the Disneyland Hotel will be sleeping on new beds alongside new furniture.

“We wanted to make the rooms a more immersive experience for our guests,” said David Gill, media relations for the Disneyland Resorts.

Construction crews began work in the Dream Tower last week on the project that will take three years to tackle the entire hotel. Work includes stripping the rooms down to the bare walls, upgrading the electrical and plumbing and then bringing in carpeting, paint, furniture, beds and bathtubs.

The new furniture is being lifted into the tower via a temporary elevator mounted to the exterior of the building.

“Some of the furniture is so big that we want to get it in and out effectively without disrupting the rest of the hotel,” Gill said.

The new look for the rooms was conceived by designers at Walt Disney Imagineering, and includes many Disney touches such as hidden Mickeys in the carpeting, the bathrooms and other niches; and headboards that light up with a fiber-optics display of the world famous Disneyland fireworks above Sleeping Beauty Castle.

Other details include a pair of Mickey Mouse hands holding the lights in the dressing area. Even Tinkerbell is hiding out in the room.

“We wanted the guests to continue to feel the Disney magic when they return to the rooms from our parks,” Gill said.

The rooms will be outfitted with energy-efficient lighting and double-paned, energy-efficient windows that will be tinted blue to give the towers a new look.

The work is being done in phases, with the Dream Tower scheduled for completion in June, followed by the Magic Tower then the Wonder Tower. All the work is expected to be complete by 2012.

Disney officials declined to give a cost for the renovations.

All of the old bathtubs will be donated to Habitat for Humanity, while the beds and furniture will be offered to cast members at a highly discounted rate with proceeds donated to local charities.

nemofinder22

Original Poster
More progress on the Disneyland Hotel

http://www.disneygeek.com/updates/disneyland_image.php?update_dir=2009_10_16&page_id=40&num_image=2

Some rumors swirling of a 4th tower added to the hotel.

http://blueskydisney.blogspot.com/2009_10_01_archive.html
But also in 2012 there will be other things not seen in February 2001. Like a vastly expanded Grand Californian with DVC units for the first time. A Disneyland Hotel that is much more worthy of the name. Much more extravagant and plussed with the bells and whistles Disney Fans/Geeks have come to expect. And right next to those three towers could be a fourth structure rising if all goes well.

http://miceage.micechat.com/allutz/al101309a.htm
Over at the Disneyland Hotel the floor by floor refurbishment is gutting each room down to the original steel beams. WDI and TDA have recently bought off on the plan to completely revamp and rebuild the central pool and shopping area in between the three towers, with a fourth tower to be newly constructed by the end of the project that will add hundreds of new rooms and DVC suites.

The central courtyard of the Disneyland Hotel is still a hodge podge of styles and buildings dating back to the 1960’s and 70’s, some aging more gracefully than others, with the latest project being the Peter Pan themed pool area added 8 years ago. Even that new pool area will be razed and rebuilt, using a version of Disneyland’s Sleeping Beauty Castle as the icon and base for waterslides and play elements.

Additional pools will be built in the southwest corner of the property where the sad Dancing Waters facility still sits. The old 1970’s Seaports of the Pacific stores and restaurants will also be swept clear, and replaced with new shops and restaurants themed specifically to Disneyland park

Mr.EPCOT

Thanks for keeping us updated, Nemofinder! This is probably my second favorite Disney hotel, behind the Polynesian Village.

nemofinder22

Original Poster
Would be very sad to see the final remnants of the marina area torn down. :(

Me too, I was really sad when they took out the marnia with the paddle boats:( but the Neverland pool is quite pretty.

Thanks for keeping us updated, Nemofinder! This is probably my second favorite Disney hotel, behind the Polynesian Village.

Not a problem! I love DLH its filled with a lot of memories for me. Its my favorite Disney hotel with OKW right behind it.

nemofinder22

Original Poster
Work is now moving over to the other half of the Dreams Tower. Rumor has it the elevator that takes you up to the Concierge lounge is going to be removed, which is kinda sad I loved that elevator, it offers some great views of DTD and was a great way to get to the lounge.

Photo from Mousetimes.
http://mousetimes.smugmug.com/DLR/2010/012510/11051262_ntBmL#773406949_nWdmS
773406949_nWdmS-M.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom