Disneyland Half Marathon

j.piedrafite

Premium Member
Even though it's supposed to be hot, they probably won't cancel, right? I was signed up for the half at WDW in January that ended up being cancelled due to weather, I don't think they'd do that twice in a year...

Mark P.

Even though it's supposed to be hot, they probably won't cancel, right? I was signed up for the half at WDW in January that ended up being cancelled due to weather, I don't think they'd do that twice in a year...
I'd be surprised. Anyone on the 16:00/mi. bubble should be concerned about getting swept at this point, though. The "feels like" forecast for 7AM is around 80 degrees. Not exactly ideal running conditions, but hardly what I'd consider to be "dangerous" as long as people take precautions to hydrate and pace themselves.

dreamfinder

How hot is hot? Black flag conditions don't kick in until WBGT is over 90. So with a 5:00 AM start, the last runner should be moving by what, 5:30? Means unless its supposed to be 90 by 5:00, race should still kick off. I wouldn't be surprised if the race is under a red flag most of the time, especially since they put a weather advisory in the race guide, but it will most likely still be held. And even if it heats up earlier than expected and necessitates a black flag at like 8, I imagine most people would be allowed to finish, just told they might not get a time. Maybe cut the last mile down or something, but I think it would have to shift warmer than expected for anything more than that.

Hydrate early, hydrate often. Take gatorade/powerade first when offered, and never pass up fluids. And start pushing water now.

Mark P.

Hydrate early, hydrate often. Take gatorade/powerade first when offered, and never pass up fluids. And start pushing water now.

Can't emphasize this enough. Might actually use my 1.5L Camelbak while at the expo and in DCA during the day on Saturday. Also packing a chilly towel, though I'm not sure I'll use it for during the race but almost certainly immediately after.

Bottom line: Be careful, and as my wife has been reminding me all week, don't try to be a hero (even if you're going as one of the Incredibles)!

RunningKoen

The flyer at the expo for upcoming races has neither dark side nor light side on it, at least, thats what I read somewhere.
Also no races listed in Disneyland for 2018.

Texas84

Yellow flag is out for the 10K. Got up early to go to DL and it was a 'pleasant' 80 degrees at 0800. Started sweating waiting for opening. Got up to 101. But should be OK for the 10K. Half could go red for late corrals.

DL was awesome except for the heat. Low wait times except for Splash and Pan (45 mins). FastPass Max is the greatest invention ever.

Texas84

And the expo: Went about 1400, breezed through. I was even able to walk right in to the official merchandise area which was a first. The guy at bib pickup was too cool to be there and obviously had better things to do. I went through the process myself and he grunted "Don't fold your bib" when he handed it to me. The girl in the next line asked for my ID and glanced at it, giggling at the cool dude. The shirt crew was great. Very friendly to everyone.

Texas84

Cool luggage tag thrown in with packet pick-up.
WP_20170901_16_12_20_Rich.jpg

surfsupdon

So yesterday I hiked Griffith Park in the heat, sprinted around downtown Hollywood, did a light 20mins jog thru Beverly Hills, and bodysurfed at Santa Monica, and even played a 2v2 beach volleyball game. Needless to say I slept great, woke up refreshed, and had a great 10K, finished in 46. My legs were a tad tired, but at least I know why. Hahaha

Congrats runners....who is in for tomorrow??!

Attachments

• IMG_0983.JPG
    IMG_0983.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 150

Texas84

I'm giving this morning's 10K a solid A. Everything was great. Lots of characters and the 'volunteers' did a great job. Your complaints have been heard.

I walk in from Walnut so security was a breeze for me. Got wanded. Yesterday's yellow flag was changed to green pre-race.

Characters I can remember: Russell, Remy (just hanging out, not standing at a photo stop), Donald on the boat at Toontown (a girl thought he was Daisy and Donald was visibly upset, hilarious), Mike & Sully, MU cheerleaders, Roz (that was a surprise), Mickey & friends in the Main Street bus, and the most awesome of all, the CDA was in the tunnel watching us with doors projected on the tunnel wall. I saw three of them. They were up on a walkway so it wasn't really a photo op.

And the Pizza Planet delivery truck was parked near the stage. Very cool. Also two food trucks were there. Great idea. I hope they did well.

There were two bands in the parking lot right before the finish. There were drummers about mile 1 maybe. The World of Color fountains were operating and lit and Mickey's Wheel of Doom was lit up. The cars at Luigi's were performing.

Two minor negatives: First water break was at 2 miles. That was too far for the conditions. When they tell people to move to the corrals they all head to a gate at the back of the parking lot and it's a choke point. I've learned to go out the entrance near the stage. No problem.

Something else, what is with the walkers in corral A who obviously should not be there? My corral groaned every time they saw corral A walkers on the big screen.

But I'm worried about the heat tomorrow. Good luck everyone!

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I'm giving this morning's 10K a solid A. Everything was great. Lots of characters and the 'volunteers' did a great job. Your complaints have been heard.

I walk in from Walnut so security was a breeze for me. Got wanded. Yesterday's yellow flag was changed to green pre-race.

Characters I can remember: Russell, Remy (just hanging out, not standing at a photo stop), Donald on the boat at Toontown (a girl thought he was Daisy and Donald was visibly upset, hilarious), Mike & Sully, MU cheerleaders, Roz (that was a surprise), Mickey & friends in the Main Street bus, and the most awesome of all, the CDA was in the tunnel watching us with doors projected on the tunnel wall. I saw three of them. They were up on a walkway so it wasn't really a photo op.

And the Pizza Planet delivery truck was parked near the stage. Very cool. Also two food trucks were there. Great idea. I hope they did well.

There were two bands in the parking lot right before the finish. There were drummers about mile 1 maybe. The World of Color fountains were operating and lit and Mickey's Wheel of Doom was lit up. The cars at Luigi's were performing.

Two minor negatives: First water break was at 2 miles. That was too far for the conditions. When they tell people to move to the corrals they all head to a gate at the back of the parking lot and it's a choke point. I've learned to go out the entrance near the stage. No problem.

Something else, what is with the walkers in corral A who obviously should not be there? My corral groaned every time they saw corral A walkers on the big screen.

But I'm worried about the heat tomorrow. Good luck everyone!

Glad you had a good race. Saw video of y'all running through the Castle. Hoping you get a weather break tomorrow, but when San Fran is seeing temps in the upper 90s, afraid it's not going to happen. Then there's the fire...

LAKid53

Premium Member
So yesterday I hiked Griffith Park in the heat, sprinted around downtown Hollywood, did a light 20mins jog thru Beverly Hills, and bodysurfed at Santa Monica, and even played a 2v2 beach volleyball game. Needless to say I slept great, woke up refreshed, and had a great 10K, finished in 46. My legs were a tad tired, but at least I know why. Hahaha

Congrats runners....who is in for tomorrow??!

Man, you had a day.....

So, important question - which socks are those?

LAKid53

Premium Member
They were multi colored palm fronds. Very LA. Haha

I would give the race an A as well. Super easy security access, lots of characters, great music, fun course, no issues.

Yeah, very LA, Dude! :cool:

Glad to hear everything went well with the race.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom