Disneyland Fireworks System

cplance

Original Poster
My best friend recently met up with a pyro tech that worked on the Disneyland fireworks show. The show uses a new system that promises to revolutionize the pyro industry. With all of the talk about testing going on in Fla and rumors of a new MK show, I'm sure this system will be used at WDW.

The system uses pneumatics to launch the shell in to the air. The shell is actually embedded with a chip that detonates the shell at the exact time set by the computer. This eliminates the dangerous powder charge used to propell the shell in to the air. It also eliminates the often innacurate timed fuse that is set off when the shell is launched. The result is increased safety and precice timing with the sound track.

I would love to hear more about this system if anyone out there knows more about it.

CDS Disney

Well you can thank the military for the new fuse system. But i will miss the Thump befor the bang. i like to time it to find out how high they go.

Lovecraft

You will probably still hear a thump before the bang with pneumatics, or at least a thooop!

If it's the method I am thinking of then the ordnance will be launched by a high pressure air cannon through a tube and controlled by an electric gate valve.

That is pretty cool, the computer timer in the fireworks :)

jmarc63

Yes thank the military for this advance, it sounds similuar to how they launch ICBM's from Nucelear subs, they use pressurized air to expell the rocket from the launch tube and a few seconds later the engines fire by computer control, of cource the big diffrence is size and ICBM's ignight SRP as opposed to fireworks where your ignighting power

pyrotech

I think you friend may possibly be confusing what are in fact two seperate systems.

1) disney has had a pneumatic lift system for shells for about 15 years now, full details are avaliable on the US patent site, search for " disney fireworks",

2) There is the relatively new (4 years or so ) Magic Fire system that is not Disney related. Try the link below:

http://www.cincypost.com/living/2000/fire083100.html

Tying the two together may be a possible option but, not really sensible. Chip cost would make this a probable "no go" for Disney's regular use.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
pyrotech - welcome to the boards!!

The air launch system was apparently pioneered for Reflection of Earth in 1999 (thats what Disney say it was for anyway) - the first pyro of the show that shoots out from lakeside into the middle of the lagoon, but dosn`t light until its over water.

It is also used at WDW in Wishes (the `Wishes` fireworks that cross the sky (mostly at the start of the show and near the finale)

I think they also have an earlier version in `Believe` at Disneyland, but it dosn`t seem as effective.

boo52

Originally posted by marni1971
pyrotech - welcome to the boards!!

The air launch system was apparently pioneered for Reflection of Earth in 1999 (thats what Disney say it was for anyway) - the first pyro of the show that shoots out from lakeside into the middle of the lagoon, but dosn`t light until its over water.

It is also used at WDW in Wishes (the `Wishes` fireworks that cross the sky (mostly at the start of the show and near the finale)

I think they also have an earlier version in `Believe` at Disneyland, but it dosn`t seem as effective.

Yes it is true. ROE uses actually 2 air launchers with chips. The 1st and 2nd shots. Wishes uses no air launch. The product you speak of in Wishes uses powder. It just sounds like air launch when lifting. Epcot is the only location at WDW that utilizes air launch. DL actually had an after hours air launch test last Sat. There show is now completely air launch. They however don't employ all there shells with a chip. I can't get into too much how it's done for confidentiality reasons, but its fairly simple and cheap.

xfkirsten

Originally posted by boo52
Yes it is true. ROE uses actually 2 air launchers with chips. The 1st and 2nd shots. Wishes uses no air launch. The product you speak of in Wishes uses powder. It just sounds like air launch when lifting. Epcot is the only location at WDW that utilizes air launch. DL actually had an after hours air launch test last Sat. There show is now completely air launch. They however don't employ all there shells with a chip. I can't get into too much how it's done for confidentiality reasons, but its fairly simple and cheap.

They also tested it during park hours on the 14th. :)

-Kirsten

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom