Disneyland Construction Projects on Hold/ Info on Projects

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Star Tours 1 & 2 were very close. Four of the Buzz Lightyear attractions opened within a year of each other, and WDW's Big Thunder was about a year after Disneyland, although it is a bit different. MK and Tokyo's Splash Mountains opened within a day of each other.

I was being sarcastic. :rolleyes:

wityblack

I'm actually all for good attractions not going to DCA. I love that Rise is at Disneyland. DCA isn't worth the price of admission. I love staying at Disneyland and plussing Disneyland is always good anyway I see it.

I didn't like how that up until Star Wars land every big new ride would only go into DCA.

Even as a passholder I feel DCA isn't worth walking to. They can keep DCA as a dumping ground for lackluster attractions and overlays.
There lies the problem. They are putting rides into California Adventure to make it worth the price of admission. I personally feel that a steady stream of rides into both parks is good, so both parks can get some love. Just put it into the place it fits most thematically.

ProfessorPepper

You could say I'm a cm of sorts and when Disneyland announced they were closing all my coworkers were saying how they believed Disney would go full steam ahead on construction projects and renovating the park....oh, how naive they are :')

And so I guess reading this whole thread answered my question, no people are walking around Disney property? Only our furry friends I presume. I haven't tried to see how far my id could take me yet lol

Ismael Flores

I am really surprised that they froze all construction, you would think they would want some of those projects done so they can be promoted to lure clientelle after all this.

I still see quite a few construction projects being done around the cities and it seems like some of those are doing a great job in forcing social distancing as much as possible in construction sites.

At least major construction could have been done unless the issue is supplies and inspectors being available.

lazyboy97o

I am really surprised that they froze all construction, you would think they would want some of those projects done so they can be promoted to lure clientelle after all this.

I still see quite a few construction projects being done around the cities and it seems like some of those are doing a great job in forcing social distancing as much as possible in construction sites.

At least major construction could have been done unless the issue is supplies and inspectors being available.
Disney chose to stop construction for reasons that do not as of yet seem to be clear. Any external constraints, legal or logistical, would apply to other projects which are continuing.

D

Deleted member 107043

Disney chose to stop construction for reasons that do not as of yet seem to be clear. Any external constraints, legal or logistical, would apply to other projects which are continuing.

At the start of this week six Bay Area counties ordered a cease to commercial construction as part of a set of revisions to the local shelter in place orders .

The Order provides that only certain limited types of construction are permitted to continue, including healthcare projects directly related to addressing the COVID-19 pandemic, housing and mixed use projects that includes at least 10% affordable housing, projects that provide services to vulnerable populations, projects required to maintain safety, sanitation, and habitability of residences and commercial buildings; and construction necessary to secure an existing construction site that must shut down. The Health Officer may issue guidance requiring construction site-specific health and safety plans. The Order also provides for San Francisco to limit public works construction to essential public works projects as determined by the City Administrator in consultation with the Health Officer. All other construction is prohibited.

From what I understand one of the drivers for this change were complaints from some workers in the field that there weren't enough virus protections in place.

I wouldn't be surprised if this gets extended to other parts of the state.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ismael Flores

Explain how anything that has replaced it is better.

I never said anything that replaced it is or was better- just that EO was good for its time.

If i had to choose what other attraction that used the theater space was also fun for its time i would have to say Hunny i shrunk the Audience. It was corny and entertaining with good in house effects but i also wouldn't want it back.

In my opinion that theater should be turned back into an open air stage with an eatery and seating area. Basically go back to the way it was with the open air center and wrapped queue on the outer ring of the roof. There is plenty of space behind the stage area for a kitchen and you would have closer proximity for restrooms. Once that is done, move the Space mountain entrance queue so that it uses the starcade area as a queue entrance.

Next step would be to tear out Pizza Planet and attached structures as far back as possible and re-use the area along with all the wasted space behind for a small family attraction.

I saw Captain EO when it opened i was actually there and it was fun and had a blast. I enjoyed interacting that day with the character but when they decided to bring it back for a limited time it showed its age and was just hokey. The dated material and lack of many of the original in-house effects made it worse

Last edited:

Phroobar

I never said anything that replaced it is or was better- just that EO was good for its time.

If i had to choose what other attraction that used the theater space was also fun for its time i would have to say Hunny i shrunk the Audience. It was corny and entertaining with good in house effects but i also wouldn't want it back.

In my opinion that theater should be turned back into an open air stage with an eatery and seating area. Basically go back to the way it was with the open air center and wrapped queue on the outer ring of the roof. There is plenty of space behind the stage area for a kitchen and you would have closer proximity for restrooms. Once that is done, move the Space mountain entrance queue so that it uses the starcade area as a queue entrance.

Next step would be to tear out Pizza Planet and attached structures as far back as possible and re-use the area along with all the wasted space behind for a small family attraction.

I saw Captain EO when it opened i was actually there and it was fun and had a blast. I enjoyed interacting that ay with the character but when they decided to bring it back for a limited time it showed is age and was just hokey. The dated material and lack of many of the original in-house effects made it worse
Totally agree. The Space Place should come back with its outdoor stage. Put the queue in the Starcade with speed ramp to the second floor and possible elevator for wheelchairs. I heard a rumor a few years ago that the kitchen is still behind that wall.

dg1x3xp815t01.jpg
img029.jpg

Ismael Flores

Totally agree. The Space Place should come back with its outdoor stage. Put the queue in the Starcade with speed ramp to the second floor and possible elevator for wheelchairs. I heard a rumor a few years ago that the kitchen is still behind that wall.

dg1x3xp815t01.jpg
img029.jpg

It really is amazing how much room in tomorrowland is wasted because of bad planning during changes of the land.
That whole area in the back and next to Space mountain is a good example of bad decisions and wasteful prime real estate.

PostScott

Original Poster
You could say I'm a cm of sorts and when Disneyland announced they were closing all my coworkers were saying how they believed Disney would go full steam ahead on construction projects and renovating the park....oh, how naive they are :')

And so I guess reading this whole thread answered my question, no people are walking around Disney property? Only our furry friends I presume. I haven't tried to see how far my id could take me yet lol
Sorry for such a late reply. Yeah all BIG disney projects are on hold. However, they are working on pavement projects in the hub. More specially the walkways from the hub-matterhorn/ Fantasyland and the walkway from hub-Fronteirland. I assume there are other small projects like these that Disney is doing. Small low budget ones that most guests don't notice.

SuddenStorm

dg1x3xp815t01.jpg
img029.jpg

I've also heard the kitchen for the old Town Square cafe exists still. I'd absolutely love to explore and see how true these are... but I'm reminded of the rumors that one CBJ theater remained after Pooh was built- which was obviously not true.

SuddenStorm

It really is amazing how much room in tomorrowland is wasted because of bad planning during changes of the land.
That whole area in the back and next to Space mountain is a good example of bad decisions and wasteful prime real estate.

You used to have Space Place, Mission to Mars, Eo, Space Mountain in a space that's now Pizza Planet, Space Mountain, film trailers.

Not to mention Starcade being used as a store/queue space.

Or the most egregious offender: The old Carousel Theater, now an over sized gift shop.

Or the Peoplemover. Or the old Rocket Jets being a static structure with it's replacement occupying prime real estate on the hub that's the most egregious choke point in the park.

SuddenStorm

Good information and great ideas for what could be done with the space to make it lively. EO is a lot of fun and my stance is if they are going to keep it as a movie theater, they need a unique attraction and not movie trailers.

I hope EO can either be shown in the parks again or given a 3D Bluray release.

Really any screen based attraction that's gone to yesterland should get a compilation Bluray release. 1987 Star Tours, Eo, Honey I Shrunk the Audience, Muppetvision.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom