Politics Disneyland Closure: Another six months?

This thread contains political discussion related to the original thread topic

Should Disneyland remain closed another six months?

• Yes

Votes: 24 18.5%
  • No

Votes: 106 81.5%

• Total voters

lazyboy97o

In these COVID decisions, I wish folks in power would also consider the mental health of people being told to stay indoors. That should be a factor as well as the physical concerns. Depression, suicide, domestic violence are probably on the increase during this time.
Concern for mental health has been a factor since the beginning. To claim otherwise is disingenuous.

cmwade77

Now that the rest of the measles story has been told the current COVID19 situation is not the same. It is still apples and oranges. The parks can operate quite safely. Oh yea, vaccines are not 100% effective so risk is always there.
Oh, I agree with you, I just think it is important to be given all information, good, bad and indifferent so we can make up our own minds based on all of the facts.

ThreadMaster5

Oh, I agree with you, I just think it is important to be given all information, good, bad and indifferent so we can make up our own minds based on all of the facts.
I was making a point that things spread at Disneyland. Now will it be safer at Disneyland with the safety measures? Sure in theory it should be, but they can’t even keep people from smoking in the parks so I have my doubts

BuzzedPotatoHead89

If my social group learned the level of obsession I have for Disneyland, I'd probably become a social pariah. An outcast. A wandering nomad, left to fend for myself in the world. Even my friends who work the park eye roll when I start talking about Disneyland unless it has to do with the latest limited dessert.

This forum provides me a place to talk about stuff that no normal person would want to discuss.

Same here, I know the feeling. 👍

My passion for Disney exceeds all else to the point where I know my friends, fiancé and pretty much everyone in my life only modestly entertains my interests at best. I’ve been known to put a room full of people to sleep discussing my theories on escapism and theme park design principles. Even as far back as career day in Kindergarten I came dressed as Walt Disney.

Fast forward to today... and now since my “day job” pertains to politics (with a health policy emphasis) I find it interesting that even my escape/passion (Disneyland) has become infected by my 10+ hour a day job. There’s no escaping it now lol 😱

lazyboy97o

I was making a point that things spread at Disneyland. Now will it be safer at Disneyland with the safety measures? Sure in theory it should be, but they can’t even keep people from smoking in the parks so I have my doubts
All indications are that Walt Disney World has been vigilant and committed to enforcing the rules. The bigger concern is likely the movement of people across a large area.

TP2000

What if a vaccine reduces your chances by 50% for six months? Is that good enough to end the pandemic?

I am not an epidemiologist (I hadn't even heard that word before until eight months ago), I am not a doctor, I am not a bureaucrat. But I am an official older person who has had all sorts of vaccines and their boosters in recent years (Shingles, TDaP, Pneumovax 13, Pneumovax 23, etc.), so I feel fairly confident in reminding everyone that any vaccine released for public consumption in this country has at minimum a 5 year lifespan before you need your next booster.

That said, I won't be getting a Covid vaccine when they are released. I'll let all the people who are scared for one reason or another get it first, so there's plenty of supply and plenty of appointments at Walgreens available. Sometime later in 2021 when all the frenzy is over, I'll go down and get a Covid shot, even though the nurses no longer wear hats and white hosiery which I think is an absolute crime and makes me feel less healthy and less cared for!

8E4pxyhyQ1VycUQvIwuoweYzRed5imUicdm6WKj1eUspnF8npJHQrrM4LD3u_vOCosnWEbyCDg6JzsYfI3KYiY28IRsnNDV97ZeW5OrC9ahYhSFkTg

Last edited:

George Lucas on a Bench

Original Poster
Don't care anymore, already booked my spite trip to WDW in December because I was feeling DL will not be open for the holidays, let alone if it is getting in with an AP will likely be impossible.

If I get corona on my spite trip to WDW, can I sue Disney for forcing me to travel to Orlando?

Good for you, son.

GimpYancIent

Fair enough. There are some folks that want the maximum amount of assurance of safety before even approaching any amusement venue (example - Disney properties) and that is OK. That said, the rest that want to go should not be prevented from living and not just existing. There is no 100% prevention of anything. To restrict and impose on people limits that are fast becoming untenable is not beneficial. In short if you don't want to go DON'T do not get in the way of those that DO.

flutas

Fair enough. There are some folks that want the maximum amount of assurance of safety before even approaching any amusement venue (example - Disney properties) and that is OK. That said, the rest that want to go should not be prevented from living and not just existing. There is no 100% prevention of anything. To restrict and impose on people limits that are fast becoming untenable is not beneficial. In short if you don't want to go DON'T do not get in the way of those that DO.

The argument on the other side is this: Say you don't want to go and I do. I go, catch the virus but don't know it. We then bump into each other in the super market, or any other place you are essentially forced to go by society. You catch the virus, through no fault of your own because I wanted to go to Disneyland.

Now, for my opinion... I understand the arguments for opening, and for staying closed. Personally, I think with proper distancing, mask enforcement and temp checks (though however security theater they may be) the parks could open and be mostly fine (potentially a few outbreaks traced back to the parks).

But that requires actual distancing, and actual mask enforcement. Two things that I can say have not been happening at DTD. The amount of people cramped into narrow walkways around Uva without CMs saying anything is example 1 for distancing. The fact people always are sitting on the "DONT SIT HERE" stickers next to other groups is example 2 for distancing. The amount of people walking around with their nose sticking out is example 1 for masks. The fact that the other day I saw a person walking through wearing no mask (only a face shield) and multiple CMs walked by without saying anything is example 2-200 on masks and why I believe DLR isn't ready to open.

Granted I think most of the issue stems from Disney not giving CMs enough power to actually enforce the rules.

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
Closed until it can reopen as a theme park again. As much as I miss going to the parks if it’s the same kind of embarrassing plexiglass maze with half-assed entertainment that’s going down in Florida I’ll pass. Bad show at full price is not sustainable.

el_super

The person who got it at the store is still at fault for going to the store. If they didn't want to catch it they shouldn't have gone somewhere to be indoors with a ton of strangers, touching things other people have touched etc.

What about the people who work at Disneyland? If they don't want to catch it, can they just opt out of going to work? Maybe if there was an arrangement where they can just stay home and get paid to wait it out, it would make a more convincing case for allowing them to reopen.

el_super

More misinformation being presented as fact.

What was the latest figures on the mortality rate? I keep seeing the number that COVID has been twice as deadly in OC/Anaheim than the flu, but I havne't seen an updated percentage lately. Wasn't it around 4%?

MoonRakerSCM

Yeah, having employees sit at home and be payed is sustainable on the long term.

Man, we've been doing reality so wrong... Everyone just needs to stay at home and get payed. Why didn't we think of that before!

Last edited by a moderator:

flutas

Maybe people who visit theme parks can be forced to wear a patch on their arms...

Ah yes, not going to a theme park is equivalent to killing millions of people. I'm done.

Yeah, having employees sit at home and be payed is sustainable on the long term.

Man, we've been doing reality so wrong... Everyone just needs to stay at home and get payed. Why didn't we think of that before!

Do you think they are being paid right now?

Last edited by a moderator:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom