Politics Disneyland Closure: Another six months?

This thread contains political discussion related to the original thread topic

Should Disneyland remain closed another six months?

• Yes

Votes: 24 18.5%
  • No

Votes: 106 81.5%

• Total voters

el_super

In science, the way we can firmly call something incorrect is if new research disproves the previous theory or fits the theory better. So nothing can be called misinformation affirmatively anyway until multiple studies prove otherwise to replace the current theory made from our data.

What do you do when you don't have time to wait for multiple studies to be completed due to a public health emergency?

The last piece of misinformation I called out was related to the idea that theme parks don't contribute to the spread of virus. Do you believe that's true or do you believe the mountain of evidence that suggests they do?

GimpYancIent

What do you do when you don't have time to wait for multiple studies to be completed due to a public health emergency?

The last piece of misinformation I called out was related to the idea that theme parks don't contribute to the spread of virus. Do you believe that's true or do you believe the mountain of evidence that suggests they do?
Chairman Newsome and the other comrades making decisions are expending too much cerebral energy restricting amusement parks. The Peoples Republic of California has many way more serious issues that need thought and attention. I have full trust and confidence that Disneyland can resume operations, though at a reduced level, very safely.

lazyboy97o

So just because someone comes on here with the numbers they fixate on doesn’t mean it’s “misinformation” or a conspiracy theory. It’s data all the same.
Except these threads have found a welcome home to misinformation and conspiracies.

There were persistent claims that the new illness was just a flu, or that it’s a novel flu virus or that coronaviruses cause the flu well after the novel coronavirus had been identified as the cause of what is now named COVID-19.

Using people who are not ill to intentionally dilute statistics beyond comparing prevalence in a population is not a different conclusion.

Rewriting the timelines of events to blame Newsom for the closure of the parks is not a different conclusion.

Claiming restrictions were only supposed to last two weeks max are a misunderstanding of what was being said.

The whole issue of “flip flopping” on masks is a misunderstanding that those who were thought to be contagious were always advised to wear masks, a recommendation that has existed for years with other respiratory diseases.

Constant comparisons to big box stores and their having been deemed “safe” is a misunderstanding of the reasoning behind why certain businesses were allowed to stay open.

Claims that persons who are not doctors and are not authorized to determine cause of death are illegally doing so and listing COVID-19 without cause is a conspiracy.

Claims that doctors are systemically and widely listing COVID-19 as a cause of death without any clinical justification is a conspiracy.

The whole issue of cause of death is rife with misunderstandings that have been repeated, mostly missing that having other conditions is not unusual and that it does not negate the role of an infection.

Claims that almost all of the people who have died would have died this year is an exaggeration of a conclusion pushed by a conspiracy theorist that does not align to how any other disease is considered (that comorbidities do not actually count and that things like high blood pressure are a death sentence).

Claims that the virus is more widespread than any data supports is baseless speculation.

Claims that concern for the virus will drop off in November are a conspiracy.

Claims that hundreds of thousands of additional suicides are occurring and not being reported is a conspiracy.

The whole issue now of just picking a date when to open the parks is a misunderstanding, that dates are just picked whenever or that there is some sort of set timeline.

These are all bits of misinformation and conspiracy theories that have been posted here and if not found a receptive audience, have been tolerated because they point to the desired conclusion that the parks should reopen. This is the dangerous process of normalization that undermines expertises and promotes ideas without a sound foundation. This is the worst sort of means justifying the end, as here is a microcosm of a far bigger problem that is playing out around the world.

el_super

I have full trust and confidence that Disneyland can resume operations, though at a reduced level, very safely.

Of course. No one is really advocating that any aspect of Disneyland's operation itself would be dangerous. The qconcern is Disneyland's bigger place in the community and the number of interactions they introduce into the system and whether the increase in transmission can be safely handled by the healthcare system. No system will 100% prevent the spread, and when open, Disneyland will introduce some additional load. The question is how that load can be properly handled with the other moving parts in the community: such as school and church openings.

It does seem to me, that it would be more important to make sure schools opened before Disneyland.

TP2000

I know! It’s crazy right? But It actually happened

The Disneyland Measles outbreak and subsequent vaccination of 20,000+ Cast Members was back in 2015, if memory serves correctly. That's ancient history for many folks, and thus they have no knowledge of it.

But you are right. It actually happened.

TP2000

Stop spreading misinformation!

I think I need to change my cutesy little quote at the bottom of all my posts.

I'm just finishing my Sundowner Cocktail (9/17 Sundowner Cocktail = a Rye Manhattan, made with Basil Hayden's Dark Rye, Dolin Vermouth, Peychaud's Bitters, garnished with a Tillen Farms cherry from the Willamette Valley, Go OSU Beavers!), so my creative juices are flowing. Give me two minutes and it's a done deal!

Last edited:

cmwade77

Stop spreading misinformation!
You know the funny thing is there is some misinformation in the article or at least missing information. Yes, this did happen, but what they don't mention is at least half of those that got the measles were completely current on all vaccinations, including for the measles. The issue was it was a foreign strain of the measles from another country that we don't normally have.

Now you might ask how I know this, well a CM friend of mine personally knows the people I am referring to, which is why I only say at least half, as I don't know about the rest.

SuddenStorm

I think I need to change my cutesy little quote at the bottom of all my posts.

I'm just finishing my Sundowner Cocktail (9/17 Sundowner Cocktail = a Rye Manhattan, made with Basil Hayden's Dark Rye, Dolin Vermouth, Peychaud's Bitters, garnished with a Tillen Farms cherry from the Willamette Valley, Go OSU Beavers!), so my creative juices are flowing. Give me two minutes and it's a done deal!

Should have signed it Troy Porter, not TP2000

GimpYancIent

You know the funny thing is there is some misinformation in the article or at least missing information. Yes, this did happen, but what they don't mention is at least half of those that got the measles were completely current on all vaccinations, including for the measles. The issue was it was a foreign strain of the measles from another country that we don't normally have.

Now you might ask how I know this, well a CM friend of mine personally knows the people I am referring to, which is why I only say at least half, as I don't know about the rest.
Now that the rest of the measles story has been told the current COVID19 situation is not the same. It is still apples and oranges. The parks can operate quite safely. Oh yea, vaccines are not 100% effective so risk is always there.

George Lucas on a Bench

Original Poster
Be who you are. :). This previous games of is he or is he not matters not at all to me. You're fun to interact with on the Boards. That's the point of these forums, right- enjoying our common interests?

I thought so. It used to be a lot more fun, although there are still some fun members left posting sporadically. The general "miserable" crowd boohooing all the ridiculous decisionmaking by Disney have been replaced by seemingly legitimately miserable buzzkillers.

SuddenStorm

If my social group learned the level of obsession I have for Disneyland, I'd probably become a social pariah. An outcast. A wandering nomad, left to fend for myself in the world. Even my friends who work the park eye roll when I start talking about Disneyland unless it has to do with the latest limited dessert.

This forum provides me a place to talk about stuff that no normal person would want to discuss.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom