News Disneyland cancels Annual Pass program

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
Reading this thread again after the announcement of the APs returning has been, well...interesting! 🤣

People had allll kind of crazy (but interesting) ideas of what the new 'membership' would be like, everything from just discount tickets to giving DVC like points, etc". And at the end of the day Disney basically didn't do any of that. Even things they were sort of suggesting themselves like maybe some people will get access to only enter at a certain time of day or even a limit of long you stay in a given day which were at least interesting ideas didn't happen at all. They just literally went back to the tried and true and made reservations around them. And I'm still convinced those will go in a few years when we get to true normalcy again.
I think Disney made plans, and then bailed on them. Their public statements in no way reflect the changes they actually implemented

DanielBB8

Disney’s marketing and “legacy” is far superior to Universal’s. Many people want to go to Disney over Universal because they’ve been convinced over the decades that Universal is a second rate destination. Disney does a incomparable job at selling “magic”, “dreams” and “happiness” — and people are convinced Disney is the only place you can get that stuff.

Especially in Florida, it’s easy to make the argument that Universal is the superior destination, but at the end of the day Universal doesn’t have the Disney name and they don’t have 8+ princesses and nostalgia in their favor.

I as well simply like Disney because it’s Disney, not because the rides are better, the prices are better, etc., but my eyes are open enough to see Disney has been shaving value year after year, while Universal has at least held steady in the value they offer their customers.

TLDR: I’m a sucker for Disney, most people are suckers for Disney, and Universal may very well be creating better theme parks than Disney.
One reason to like Universal over Disney is Universal is more respectful of the IP franchises that it translates into theme park attractions. Disney keeps digging in with the Sequel Trilogy and Marvel Post-Endgame. Universal’s Harry Potter was great and only gotten better with Diagon Alley and Hagrid’s roller coaster.

cmwade77

One reason to like Universal over Disney is Universal is more respectful of the IP franchises that it translates into theme park attractions. Disney keeps digging in with the Sequel Trilogy and Marvel Post-Endgame. Universal’s Harry Potter was great and only gotten better with Diagon Alley and Hagrid’s roller coaster.
For Marvel, they probably are going that route, as they can probably do more tie-ins on the east coast where they are limited on what they can do Marvel wise.

cmwade77

I think Disney made plans, and then bailed on them. Their public statements in no way reflect the changes they actually implemented
I think Disney read the overall negative comments on all of the boards and social media about what they wanted to do that they realized if they went through with it, they would loose a lot of business and they really can't afford that right now.

Of course this system could be a basis for a setup for future changes. For example now that reservations are required for all tiers, they could do something like for every $500 you spend in the parks, you get a free "anytime ticket" that you can use on any day that is completely full on reservations, as long as you enter the park before it hits capacity.

Or for the tiers with blackout dates, it could also work as a blackout day ticket, allowing you to still come even on a blackout date.

They could do various things like that.l, I don't know if they will, I just could see it being possible.

fctiger

Well maybe. But I actually just think Disney just did what they said they were going to do and that was base the program on the surveys they sent out to former AP holders. There are samples of the surveys in this very thread and the samples are based on what we literally ended up with. Differences in prices and different perks changed but it's all basically the same stuff. And that was sent out in January. That was another odd thing reading this thread again, some people literally thought those surveys weren't really representative of what the new passes would be based on and would go a completely different way. Why bother sending out the survey at all then if they are going to ignore 100% of the data? It's also why I assume things like monthly payments would stay because I'm guessing the overwhelming majority would say they want to keep the monthly payments if that's how they used to keep the passes. But same time would not have been surprised they got rid of that feature, but clearly it was too important to keep doing.

They sent them to former AP holders, many who liked the old passes and how they operated. I even filled out a survey and everything I suggested wasn't all that different from what we got. And a lot of these people have been getting these passes over and over again for literally decades now. I think that was the other thing, they didn't want to rock the boat TOO much because they wanted those same people to keep buying them every year as loyally as before.

cmwade77

Well I hope 2020 proved everyone's life can go on without visiting a theme park, period. But it would probably be a bit less fun eitherway. ;)
Actually, it proved just the opposite to me, it proved that experiences and not things are what are important in life.

SoCalDisneyLover

Actually, it proved just the opposite to me, it proved that experiences and not things are what are important in life.
To me, it proved, that the most important part about life is LIFE. But lots of Americans continue to prove me wrong by refusing to get vaccinated before dropping dead.

cmwade77

To me, it proved, that the most important part about life is LIFE. But lots of Americans continue to prove me wrong by refusing to get vaccinated before dropping dead.
There is a difference between surviving and living. As for refusing to get vaccinated, I don't get it, but ultimately, the choice is their, but they need to live with the consequences of their decision and stop expecting the rest of us to stop.living life to protect them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom