Disneyland and Disney World lay off 28,000 employees amid pandemic struggles - OCR/SCNG

TP2000

You don't think they just hit "pause" on their lives and are sitting around hungry, letting their bills pile up, just so they can come back and start making magic for random strangers?

I doubt it. Most of these CM's were making less than $20 an hour, with rent to worry about. And for the salaried Dockers managers, they were in lower management making less than $100K a year, with mortgages and car payments and kids to worry about. And droopy Dockers to iron.

These are not jobs you sit around waiting for 15 months hoping to be recalled. The vast majority of these CM's will have moved on with their lives and careers elsewhere, if they are even still living within 50 miles of Disneyland.

As to the risk for Disney in reopening, you raise a good question. The longer the parks are closed, the more attrition Disney can expect from laid-off and furloughed workers. The saving grace is that they will have some warning as they start recalling workers in advance of the reopening, as well as reopening at reduced capacity. Another variable is what impact the vaccination program will have. By the time Disneyland reopens next spring or summer, will there be a fuller availability of dining options than when the other resorts around the world have opened? What about entertainment offerings?

The only thing I am sure of is that it will get worse before it gets better.

Agreed, and good point on the furlough vs. laid off thing.

But honestly, once you get to the six month mark of not working you could call the tens of thousands of unemployed Astronauts if you wanted to and they still wouldn't have a job. Disneyland is still closed and they still don't have jobs.

If this closure was only for a month or two last spring, that would be one thing. But now, realistically, it's going to be at least 13 or 14 months of closure before Disneyland reopens in Spring, 2021. And that's best case scenario.

It's entirely possible that Disneyland doesn't open until July-September timeframe of 2021. That will have been 15 months of full closure before CM's are recalled next June for a July '21 reopening.

They may get some CM's to return to their old jobs after over a year of unemployment, but I think the vast majority of those furloughed/laid-off/Astronaut CM's will be hard to pop back into sudden existence next summer. I doubt Disneyland will ever be the same again, so much talent and experience will have been permanently lost.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
It's impossible to get a U-Haul in California now, they are all gone. The full-service moving companies like Mayflower and Bekins have had to jack up their prices for California because all the trucks are only going one way; out!

I heard on the news yesterday of a family in SoCal who was desperate to move away from the California Nightmare and the dad found a job in Tennessee.

But they had to fly out to Dallas to rent a U-Haul truck to drive back to SoCal to load up and then drive back out to Tennessee. So they were going to do it. They had no choice if they wanted out. :(
While I don't suggest anyone moving out of California, but I do understand people must do things for their families. But what I don't understand about this post is the claim that its impossible to get a U-Haul in California.

There are literally over a thousand locations in California all with Trucks and Trailers available today:

So tell me where you can't get a U-Haul, because I checked all 5 in Anaheim and I can pick up any size U-Haul truck tomorrow if I wanted.

I also just checked my local U-Haul which is about 5 miles from my house here in the Bay Area, and they are stock full of trucks and trailers.

So this mass exodus from California that you claim is taking up all the U-Hauls and moving companies sounds like more of your BS to me.

Last edited:

JustinSt

Iā€™m currently a furlough cast member. Iā€™m still part of the company, and my benefits and school is still being paid for. If I wanna visit WDW, I still have my maingate. We are just waiting now to reopen. With the 10,000 layoffs at Disneyland, It would be difficult to get Disneyland reopened. So we are just in limbo until then.

TP2000

So tell me where you can't get a U-Haul, because I checked all 5 in Anaheim and I can pick up any size U-Haul truck tomorrow if I wanted.

I also just checked my local U-Haul which is about 5 miles from my house here in the Bay Area, and they are stock full of trucks and trailers.

No, you can't.

Once you hit "SELECT" on all those Anaheim options, what you get is an instruction to phone your local U-Haul office to "discuss options". Because there are no trailers or trucks left in California; you get to "discuss options" like flying to Dallas to pick up a U-Haul there and drive it back to California to load up and drive back to Texas or Utah or wherever you are moving to.

This topic was discussed at Thanksgiving and the young folks showed us how it works on the Uhaul.com website. It's a thing.

EDIT: I just tried it myself, trying to rent any size truck or trailer in Anaheim, California one week from now to drive to Oregon. All sizes and options are technically available somewhere in the US, but you have to check a box to agree to the "discuss options" thing my nephew told us about on Thanksgiving. The exact verbiage from the Uhaul website for California pickups is...

"I understand that the equipment I am selecting on this date, at this location, is not available to schedule and agree to be called by a regional U-Haul representative."

Also, the charge for that move for their smallest 10 foot truck is $1,200, because you'll be flying to another state to pick up the truck to drive it back to California to load up and move to Oregon.

When I just did a request to rent a 10 foot truck in Boise, Idaho and drive it to Portland, Oregon, the charge was only $197 and the truck is available an several locations in Boise immediately. A search just now for renting a truck in Dallas and driving it to Anaheim showed the same results, and the truck is available in Dallas immediately at many area locations.

The media and the Uhaul.com website are not lying to you; there is a mass migration out of California right now and there are no U-haul trucks available for rent in California.

While I enjoy some BS as much as the next person, I did not make this up, nor did I get multiple media outlets to cover this story for the past few months. I'm good, but I'm not that good. šŸ§

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
No, you can't.

Once you hit "SELECT" on all those Anaheim options, what you get is an instruction to phone your local U-Haul office to "discuss options". Because there are no trailers or trucks left in California; you get to "discuss options" like flying to Dallas to pick up a U-Haul there and drive it back to California to load up and drive back to Texas or Utah or wherever you are moving to.

This topic was discussed at Thanksgiving and the young folks showed us how it works on the Uhaul.com website. It's a thing.

EDIT: I just tried it myself, trying to rent any size truck or trailer in Anaheim, California one week from now to drive to Oregon. All sizes and options are technically available somewhere in the US, but you have to check a box to agree to the "discuss options" thing my nephew told us about on Thanksgiving. The exact verbiage from the Uhaul website for California pickups is...

"I understand that the equipment I am selecting on this date, at this location, is not available to schedule and agree to be called by a regional U-Haul representative."

Also, the charge for that move for their smallest 10 foot truck is $1,200, because you'll be flying to another state to pick up the truck to drive it back to California to load up and move to Oregon.

When I just did a request to rent a 10 foot truck in Boise, Idaho and drive it to Portland, Oregon, the charge was only $197 and the truck is available an several locations in Boise immediately. A search just now for renting a truck in Dallas and driving it to Anaheim showed the same results, and the truck is available in Dallas immediately at many area locations.

The media and the Uhaul.com website are not lying to you; there is a mass migration out of California right now and there are no U-haul trucks available for rent in California.

While I enjoy some BS as much as the next person, I did not make this up, nor did I get multiple media outlets to cover this story for the past few months. I'm just not that good.

Interesting because I was just able to reserve a 15' truck for Friday at the Anaheim U-Haul on Anaheim Blvd. All online no request to call at all.

D

Deleted member 107043

While I don't suggest anyone moving out of California, but I do understand people must do things for their families.

Apparently the exodus is largely made up of white conservatives.

"Some California transplants to Texas are Democrats. But, contrary to what some Texans fear, most arriving Californians are just as conservative as many Lone Star Staters, Bailey says."

I'm a native Californian. In my lifetime I've watched the state's booming population growth erode housing affordability, resulting in an explosion of homelessness over the past several decades. Years of poor planning have left highways choked with traffic across the state. Disneyland is practically full year-round now. And on and on. So yeah, we could stand to lose a few folks. Bon voyage to those people. šŸ‘‹

TP2000

Interesting because I was just able to reserve a 15' truck for Friday at the Anaheim U-Haul on Anaheim Blvd. All online no request to call at all.

I'm on the same Uhaul.com website looking at the 15 foot box truck for Friday, December 4th going to San Francisco, from the U-Haul on Anaheim Blvd. and it says...

I'm going to call them and ask them over the phone. They are probably bored since they have no trucks to rent.

TP2000

Apparently the exodus is largely made up of white conservatives.

"Some California transplants to Texas are Democrats. But, contrary to what some Texans fear, most arriving Californians are just as conservative as many Lone Star Staters, Bailey says."

I'm a native Californian. In my lifetime I've watched the state's booming population growth erode housing affordability, resulting in an explosion of homelessness over the past several decades. Years of poor planning have left highways choked with traffic across the state. Disneyland is practically full year-round now. And on and on. So yeah, we could stand to lose a few folks. Bon voyage to those people. šŸ‘‹

Be careful what you wish for Hans, your Bay Area company may move to Texas next and you'd have to live with all those white conservatives. :oops:

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I'm on the same Uhaul.com website looking at the 15 foot box truck for Friday, December 4th going to San Francisco, from the U-Haul on Anaheim Blvd. and it says...

I'm going to call them and ask them over the phone. They are probably bored since they have no trucks to rent.
I can't help it if it doesn't work for you.

TP2000

I just tried to call the Anaheim Blvd. location at (714) 774-9771 and I got a recording saying that "due to heavy volume" I would be on hold "for 15 to 20 minutes" before someone could speak to me. So I hung up because they obviously aren't as bored as I thought they were.

You can't rent a Uhaul in Anaheim. It's impossible, without driving to another state to pick it up first. You are either looking at an Anaheim Blvd. location in some other state where the German immigrants named the town for "Home by the Santa Ana River", or you are on the wrong Uhaul.com website.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I just tried to call the Anaheim Blvd. location at (714) 774-9771 and I got a recording saying that "due to heavy volume" I would be on hold "for 15 to 20 minutes" before someone could speak to me. So I hung up because they obviously aren't as bored as I thought they were.

You can't rent a Uhaul in Anaheim. It's impossible, without driving to another state to pick it up first. You are either looking at an Anaheim Blvd. location in some other state where the German immigrants named the town for "Home by the Santa Ana River", or you are on the wrong Uhaul.com website.

Well since you didn't bother to hang on the line for someone, I just got off the phone with my local one so let me give you an update on U-Haul at large.

Some locations, mind you SOME locations, have limited stock. But across California they are not having an shortage of rental trucks. The holiday season is usually a busy time for them which is why they have limited stock at some locations.

Other thing to note is they move stock around all the time, even within the same city. So just because YOU tried doesn't mean that when I tried I will get the same issues you had. The computer system might not have updated their inventory for that specific location.

So go ahead and spin your yarns.

TP2000

Well since you didn't bother to hang on the line for someone, I just got off the phone with my local one so let me give you an update on U-Haul at large.

Some locations, mind you SOME locations, have limited stock. But across California they are not having an shortage of rental trucks. The holiday season is usually a busy time for them which is why they have limited stock at some locations.

Other thing to note is they move stock around all the time, even within the same city. So just because YOU tried doesn't mean that when I tried I will get the same issues you had. The computer system might not have updated their inventory for that specific location.

Which location did you call? Number? I'd like to chat with them like you just did.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Which location did you call? Number? I'd like to chat with them like you just did.
Call any one of them in the Bay Area.

I just tried a second one to get further explanation. Again it appears that some locations have limited stock for what they call "One-Way Trucks". And depending on when they get more "One-Way" stock from another location will determine when that location will have those for rental.

So its possible that the U-Haul in Anaheim on Anaheim Blvd only has limited "One-Way" stock on-site at the moment. But doesn't mean they can't get one tomorrow or the next day, or possible another location has them available.

But lets not even forget that U-Haul is not the only game in town on moving truck rentals, many other companies.

Edit - BTW, a little hack on U-Haul, you can order a "Round Trip" (dropping back off at the same location as pick-up) truck but still drop it off at a different location. There might be a little fee involved, but its a way around the "No one-way trucks available" claim.

TP2000

Not only can I rent a truck but there is an offer that Iā€™ll receive $50 if my reserved vehicle is not there at my selected time.

Both of you should email The Guardian, that famously right-wing rag, and tell them to stop spinning yarns and making stuff up.

"Moving companies across the Bay have said they were booked up months in advance through the summer. It continued through the autumn ā€“ in typical years, the industry sees a lull after kids start school. A spokesperson at Gentle Giant moving company says it performed three times the number of moves out of San Francisco in September 2020 than a year earlier.

Even at U-Haul stores ā€“ the rental truck retailer with the largest fleet across the US ā€“ trucks are in short supply. With so many trucks departing the Bay Area, the exodus has left an imbalance of returning vehicles. The shortage has sharply driven up truck prices for one-way trips out of town.

ā€œTwo households are moving out of California for every one moving in,ā€ says Mark Perry, a professor of economics and finance at the University of Michigan who has been studying the US migration market over the past few years. ā€œU-Haul is pricing it based on the imbalance they see and they now have a shortage of trucks in San Francisco.ā€

Last edited:

TP2000

As usual you only got it partially right. First of all HP Enterprise (HPE) is not based in Silicon Valley, its US flagship campus is in Houston, TX. Second, while they are moving some employees it is keeping its San Jose campus and consolidating Bay Area employees there. Note that Hewlett Packard (HP), which is a separate company, remains headquartered in nearby Palo Alto.

I don't know about me, I'm just going off what the Bay Area and tech media is reporting in the last 24 hours. The story is that Hewlett-Packard, literally the company that started Silicon Valley in a Palo Alto garage decades ago, is leaving San Jose for Texas. And it's taking thousands of high-paying white collar jobs at HPE with it.

If it's merely a reconfiguring of employees between San Jose and Texas, a step only slightly more involved than adding a new Keurig machine to the 3rd floor break room, then the business and tech media in this country got this story very wrong.

These headlines don't make it sound like they are "consolidating Bay Area employees" in San Jose. These headlines make it seem like Hewlett Packard is moving its global headquarters to Texas.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I don't know about me, I'm just going off what the Bay Area and tech media is reporting in the last 24 hours. The story is that Hewlett-Packard, literally the company that started Silicon Valley in a Palo Alto garage decades ago, is leaving San Jose for Texas. And it's taking thousands of high-paying white collar jobs at HPE with it.

If it's merely a reconfiguring of employees between San Jose and Texas, a step only slightly more involved than adding a new Keurig machine to the 3rd floor break room, then the business and tech media in this country got this story very wrong.

These headlines don't make it sound like they are "consolidating Bay Area employees" in San Jose. These headlines make it seem like Hewlett Packard is moving its global headquarters to Texas.

Once again as Hans tried to tell you, HP Inc. which was founded by Bill Hewlett and David Packard in 1939 and helped create Silicon Valley is not leaving California or Silicon Valley. HP Enterprise is a separate company that was spun-off from the main company several years ago.

lazyboy97o

The story is that Hewlett-Packard, literally the company that started Silicon Valley in a Palo Alto garage decades ago, is leaving San Jose for Texas. And it's taking thousands of high-paying white collar jobs at HPE with it.
Hewlett-Packard and Hewlett-Packard Enterprise are two completely separate companies.

TP2000

Once again as Hans tried to tell you, HP Inc. which was founded by Bill Hewlett and David Packard and helped create Silicon Valley is not leaving California or Silicon Valley. HP Enterprise is a separate company that was spun-off from the main company several years ago.

I'm aware of the basic history of Hewlett-Packard in that Palo Alto garage. I'm also aware that they changed their name to Hewlett-Packard Enterprise after spinning off a few divisions, like the "HP" group that still makes laptops.

I'm also suddenly remembering that for a year or two "Hewlett Packard Enterprise" was the sponsor of Star Wars Launch Bay at Disneyland. Remember that?!

30127248534_9d85644066_b.jpg

I'm also aware that Houston, Texas is absolutely thrilled to get the imminent moving of the Hewlett-Packard Enterprise with thousands of high-paying white collar jobs coming with that headquarters move. It's quite a coup for Houston, and for Governor Abbot apparently.

From today's Wall Street Journal, for those who can't see behind the paywall...

Hewlett Packard Enterprise Co. ā€”a descendant of the firm that Bill Hewlett and Dave Packard famously started in a Palo Alto, Calif., garageā€”is moving its headquarters to the Houston area, the latest sign of how the pandemic is reshaping the way Silicon Valley companies operate.

The departure of a company so closely linked to Silicon Valleyā€™s origin story is a striking example of how the area once synonymous with tech innovation may be losing some of its luster.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom