Trip Report Disneyland and D23 Expo 2017 Completed

Hello! Okay, I guess I didn't think of the most creative title but it does the job. :)

My husband (Brad) and I (Amy) decided last year in July while riding Mickey's Fun Wheel at California Adventure to attend the D23 Expo in 2017. Why? We were looking over at the Convention Center from the top of the wheel and I told him that's where the Expo would be held and how it might be fun to go. He agreed.

When we returned from California I book our hotel rooms and in December 2016 on Christmas Eve I purchased our 3 day tickets (with early bird pricing) to the Expo. Somewhere on some unimportant date I also bought airfare! Ha! We had renewed our premier pass in September, so admission was covered for Disneyland.

Fast forward not to July 2017 and our travel dates were July 12 to July 18, 2017. Hey look at that, we would be there on Disneyland's birthday too! We were hoping that the train and boats would be back in operation (spoiler alert...) they weren't, but Fantasmic did open while we were there.

So here we go!

I'm tagging a few people that have followed my past reports. If I missed you, sorry, but please follow anyway. If you are new, welcome. And if I tagged you and you don't want to read, no problem! :)

@figmentfan423 @MinnieM123 @Cesar R M @donaldtoo @MySmallWorldof4 @MOXOMUMD @JenniferS @PacNWTigger @Tuvalu @Gabe1 @betty rose @Songbird76 @sheriffwoody @bee @blgauger @BuddyThomas @fractal @93boomer @MouseDreaming @ @Wrangler-Rick @PUSH @Mr Ferret 88 @amjt660 @Minnesota disney fan

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
The park was pretty busy so we ended up wandering around. I think we were able to get a fast pass for Big Thunder with an almost immediate return. And we did the same with Haunted Mansion, it was a little funny, the line was over 40 minutes but we went to the fast pass kiosk and then immediately into the fast pass line. We did go over to Critter Country and saw some of the new River stuff from the bathrooms by the Hungry Bear bathrooms.
IMG_2793.JPG

IMG_2795.JPG

Since the train and the River still wasn't open I was happy to at least get these glimpses.
IMG_2800.JPG

IMG_2801.JPG

IMG_2802.JPG

IMG_2807.JPG

IMG_2809.JPG
IMG_2812.JPG

Then we decided to check in about 15 minutes early for the Blue Bayou and we waited about 20 minutes before being seated but really that was only 5 minutes past our reservation. There isn't a lot of seating in the area and after about 5 minutes a spot opened up on one of the couches (for one person) and a guy that was closer to it than me and who had been waiting longer than me motioned me over and told me to take the spot. I thought that was very gentlemanly of him.

A couple of pictures from the waiting area.
IMG_2814.JPG

IMG_2816.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Time for dinner at the Blue Bayou. I have a "like" relationship with this restaurant. I think it is way over hyped and we usually get a table far from the water so the ambience is just ho-hum. The food is tasty but I think it is over priced. So why do I eat here. I only eat here now for the Fantasmic dinner package because it usually has the best seating area for the show.

By the way, we had a heck of a time getting this dining reservation and we only had 1 night we would be able to see Fantasmic (we didn't know about the soft opens). The packages went on sale a couple days after the 4th of July, Brad was in Chicago and the time at which the dining packages were to be released was when I had two doctor's appointments. Ugh, so I tried on-line and was getting nowhere. The first appointment got done fairly quickly and so I tried again and tried calling and on line. Nothing and all lines were busy. Out of desperation I called Brad and asked him if he could call because I had to get to the other appointment. He said he would because he was stuck in Chicago traffic anyway and was over an hour away from his destination. I told him to get anything he could. As I left my second appointment 50 minutes later I get a text from Brad that said he had been on hold for 45 minutes and got the Blue Bayou no problem. After I had gotten Brad to call, he said traffic started moving faster and made it to his destination right as the Disneyland rep came on the phone. So he had to find a quick place to park so he could write down the confirmation numbers But relief that he got it!
IMG_2817.JPG

This was the view from the table, the closest we have been to the water. And a nice view for about 15 minutes until people sat at the table next to us.
IMG_2823.JPG

Inside the restaurant
IMG_2825.JPG

My salad
IMG_2826.JPG

Brad's shrimp dish
IMG_2827.JPG

And we both got the ribeye
IMG_2828.JPG

He got the creme brulee
IMG_2832.JPG

And I got the sorcerer mickey dessert.
IMG_2831.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Part of our dinner package was a set of parade cushions, which were nice. But I laughed because in June when we went to the Disney Outlet in Orlando the cushions were being sold there for $1.99 and we thought about getting 2 to use at D23 Expo but decided they wouldn't fit as well in our backpacks because of the thick padding. I guess we ended up with them anyway!

After dinner we had a tour on the Jungle Cruise.
IMG_2837.JPG

And another ride on Big Thunder
IMG_2843.JPG

We got our spot for Fantasmic about 8pm and waited for the show. Disney did not pack our section full and we both had room to stretch out our legs all the way the whole time. Also there was a group of Disney suits sitting in the area behind us.

The large screen was put up before the show and looked terrible here but once the show got going it wasn't noticeable itself and the projections on it looked seamless to us.
IMG_2845.JPG

IMG_2846.JPG

IMG_2852.JPG

There was an introduction by some Disney people since it was official opening night.
IMG_2853.JPG

IMG_2855.JPG

Alright...lets go...
IMG_2858.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Fantasmic at Disneyland was awesome and continues to be in my opinion. A part of me likes the old show, overall better because I liked the Peter Pan scene a lot but this new version is just fine with me. And still better than WDW's, although I do like the seating style at WDW's better.

IMG_2860.JPG

IMG_2862.JPG

IMG_2863.JPG

IMG_2864.JPG

IMG_2866.JPG

IMG_2868.JPG

As I said I prefer the Peter Pan scene but the Pirates scene was okay. I think the girl in the scene whining for Jack to save her is a little annoying but it is still a WOW type of scene mostly because of the Columbia is sailing past and pirates are swinging around.

To be honest I'm surprised any of these pictures turned out. I wanted to watch the scene so I literally put the camera a little under my eyes and just randomly took some pictures. I looked down briefly from time to time.
IMG_2869.JPG

IMG_2871.JPG

IMG_2873.JPG

IMG_2876.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
A couple more pirates pictures
IMG_2875.JPG

IMG_2877.JPG

Again I was pretty entranced with the show so I didn't try to get great pictures but this is Aladdin and Jasmine on their carpet it is a pretty cool effect/scene.
IMG_2878.JPG

Then Rapunzel and Flynn are added to the Princess floats. :inlove: The floats seemed to moving by faster than they did in the past but I was too busy looking to try for a decent picture.
IMG_2881.JPG

But tonight the dragon/Maleficent didn't disappoint!
IMG_2882.JPG

IMG_2883.JPG

IMG_2884.JPG

IMG_2885.JPG

I love the fire!
IMG_2886.JPG

IMG_2887.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
And then the end...Good triumphs over evil!
IMG_2888.JPG

And Steamboat Willie gets to pilot a real boat in Disneyland.
IMG_2890.JPG

IMG_2893.JPG

IMG_2895.JPG

We stayed for the fireworks which were wonderful
Then we went over to small world, then did some other Fantasyland attractions like Alice, the teacups, Dumbo, and the Carousel before sitting on a bench in front of the castle for awhile before heading out for the night.
IMG_2896.JPG

IMG_2899.JPG

IMG_2900.JPG

IMG_2903.JPG

Oh I almost forgot...While we were eating dinner I got a text from our cruise friend and she let us know that we came in 4th out of 30 teams in Scavenger Hunt. We were really impressed and proud of ourselves! :D Especially with all the local teams that were there. We ended up getting a medal sent to us. I asked our cruise friend how she and her teammate did and she had come in first. Cool!:)

IMG_2906.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
OMG--those photos of Disneyland's Fantasmic were amazing!!! Especially,I love the Pirates photos--wow!! That looked like quite the show. :happy:

Disneylands Fantasmic show has always been better than WDWs which seems a little odd since WDW built a special theater for it and Disneylands just pops up on the banks of the Rivers of America. WDWs show is good but. It always a must do for me but at Disneyland it is a must do. I do like that in WDW there are benches to sit on to watch the show.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Disneylands Fantasmic show has always been better than WDWs which seems a little odd since WDW built a special theater for it and Disneylands just pops up on the banks of the Rivers of America. WDWs show is good but. It always a must do for me but at Disneyland it is a must do. I do like that in WDW there are benches to sit on to watch the show.
The WDW benches need those DL cushions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

blreinsel

Tink has the traditional red Mickey bed in your picture from the Expo. I couldn't help myself. :rolleyes: I also can't help myself when it comes to Disney LuLaRoe. :p Once you try it, you'll be addicted.. I'm warning you now. I always said that I would never buy it because it's too expensive but holy man.. that stuff is comfy and SO cute!

DL's Fantasmic looks so much cooler than WDW's! :eek:

amjt660

Premium Member
Finally able to read through your report
Very late to this party
Thanks for the tag

D23 content looks amazing but I personally could not put up with the crowds and the lines
More power to you for doing it and reporting back to us

Great DLR pics and reporting
Between you and @bee I will not have much more to add to the summer of Disneyland

Thanks again for sharing

Max

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Tink has the traditional red Mickey bed in your picture from the Expo. I couldn't help myself. :rolleyes: I also can't help myself when it comes to Disney LuLaRoe. :p Once you try it, you'll be addicted.. I'm warning you now. I always said that I would never buy it because it's too expensive but holy man.. that stuff is comfy and SO cute!

DL's Fantasmic looks so much cooler than WDW's! :eek:

I am trying to stay away from the Disney LuLaRoe, I hear it is super comfy but I think if I start wearing it I won't be able to stop buying it!:)

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Finally able to read through your report
Very late to this party
Thanks for the tag

D23 content looks amazing but I personally could not put up with the crowds and the lines
More power to you for doing it and reporting back to us

Great DLR pics and reporting
Between you and @bee I will not have much more to add to the summer of Disneyland

Thanks again for sharing

Max

Thanks! I think you'll have plenty to add about Disneyland. It's always fun to hear about adventures!

gdisneyfans

Wow, Amy this was a really interesting report to read, especially the D23 Expo portion! I was so intrigued by everything you wrote! I'm sure I will never get out to go to one, but thank you for writing all about your experience!! Oh, I enjoyed your Disneyland part too:)

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Wow, Amy this was a really interesting report to read, especially the D23 Expo portion! I was so intrigued by everything you wrote! I'm sure I will never get out to go to one, but thank you for writing all about your experience!! Oh, I enjoyed your Disneyland part too:)

Thanks so much. I have been enjoying your report as well. And I suppose I should finish this one at some point...:)

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Ok, time to finish this trip report.

July 18, it was our last day. We would be flying out later in the day so we had until about 8pm to play!

We started the day by doing a few hours in DCA and got a fast pass for Guardians then went into Carsland.
IMG_2911.JPG

Single rider wasn't open yet for Racers so we took a spin on Luigi, by the time we were done with that single rider was open.
IMG_2912.JPG

Then back to Guardians. Hello Rocket! We got the same song for the 3rd time on this ride. But it was still fun!
IMG_2919.JPG

Then we rode the Red Trolley cars for awhile after Soarin'
IMG_2926.JPG

IMG_2927.JPG

IMG_2931.JPG

Then we headed over to Disneyland for our character breakfast at the Plaza. Although we made a run to Space Mt to grab a fast pass for later.
IMG_2934.JPG

We did ride the Omnibus down Main Street. Hubs wanted to sit on top by it filled up, but the bottom was fine.
IMG_2938.JPG

IMG_2940.JPG

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom