News Disneyland Adds Alcohol to Blue Bayou Menu

Stevek

Absolutely. It’s rare for pretty much anything to stay traditional forever, let alone Disneyland. Also, the park has changed so much over 60+ years that it should be very obvious to folks that nothing is guaranteed to stay the same forever.

I agree that Disneyland doesn’t necessarily need alcohol, but its new presence at Blue Bayou is really no big deal to me.🤷🏾‍♀️
Yep, arguably the nicest public sit down restaurant in the park...no issues for me having a beer or glass of wine with a meal.

Zorro

The "What would Walt do" thinking is frankly lazy. We can't say with certainty what he would do in almost any case because he tended to be unpredictable. You're talking about a man who went from crude animated short films in the 1920s to feature length animation in the 1930s to live action films in the 1940s/1950s to theme parks in the 1950s to community master planning in the 1960s. The better question to ask is "What did Walt do?" because from that you can draw some fairly broad philosophical principles. For instance, instead of merely saying that Walt didn't want alcohol and that settles it, ask why Walt didn't want alcohol. What was the reasoning behind it? How does that reasoning apply today? Should it even apply? Slavishly trying to ape Walt is just as bad as summarily dismissing his broader philosophical principles.

fctiger

Exactly. The whole, "What would Walt do?" argument always bugs me. He was alive a whole 11 years of the parks 66 year existence and NOBODY can predict how things would have changed had he lived longer. Do I think the park "needs" to have alcohol served? No, but a couple of places isn't going to hurt anyone and quite honestly as others have pointed out, if you want to get drunk and go to Disneyland you can drink a ton either at DCA or DTD and head on in to Disneyland.

Yeah I really hate these arguments too. They are not only totally irrelevant since the guy was only around for a decade and during a very, very different time from today, they are almost creepy to how cult like some of them are; as if they were best friends was the guy and knows all of his thoughts.

He may have wanted the parks alcohol free back then, but who knows how he would feel about it decades later. He also had no problem with smoking which to me is 100 times worse than drinking because second hand smoke can kill people too and yet it was everywhere in the park at the time. But again it was the 50s, things were different. I would think he would've put a big ban on smoking like most places have today if people were more educated about it. But I just find these discussions odd. So smoking was fine because WD thought it was fine? But he didn't want people drinking, so obviously that's a no-no. To me a drug is a drug.

But I think what they are doing is a fair compromise. Just have people drink in bars (or bar ;)) and sit down restaurants but you can't drink it around the park like you do at DCA, that seems like a good trade. I think most people would be fine with that even if some still don't like drinking in the parks.

And if there is any place where drinking should be allowed, it's BB. It's so weird for the most themed and expensive restaurant not to serve a cup of alcohol....in an area themed around New Orleans which is literally not only famous for alcohol, but is one of the most liberal cities in the country to drink it lol.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

Yeah I really hate these arguments too. They are not only totally irrelevant since the guy was only around for a decade and during a very, very different time from today, they are almost creepy to how cult like some of them are; as if they were best friends was the guy and knows all of his thoughts.

He may have wanted the parks alcohol free back then, but who knows how he would feel about it decades later. He also had no problem with smoking which to me is 100 times worse than drinking because second hand smoke can kill people too and yet it was everywhere in the park at the time. But again it was the 50s, things were different. I would think he would've put a big ban on smoking like most places have today if people were more educated about it. But I just find these discussions odd. So smoking was fine because WD thought it was fine? But he didn't want people drinking, so obviously that's a no-no. To me a drug is a drug.

But I think what they are doing is a fair compromise. Just have people drink in bars (or bar ;)) and sit down restaurants but you can't drink it around the park like you do at DCA, that seems like a good trade. I think most people would be fine with that even if some still don't like drinking in the parks.

And if there is any place where drinking should be allowed, it's BB. It's so weird for the most themed and expensive restaurant not to serve a cup of alcohol....in an area themed around New Orleans which is literally not only famous for alcohol, but is one of the most liberal cities in the country to drink it lol.
Well said.

TP2000

I don't think smoking is a good analogy to use here, because smoking was everywhere in the 1950's into 1970's. It was just part of being an adult. You smoked. Your friends smoked. Everyone smoked. It didn't bother you, or at least you didn't know you were supposed to be bothered by it.

Heck, I don't smoke but I still put out an ashtray, a table lighter and a little cigarette box with some cigarettes in it when I have parties or guests who I know smoke. It's hospitable and being a good host for older people. And we all die anyway. ⚰️

The alcohol ban at Disneyland is an interesting one to consider culturally. I have always understood it as part of the way Walt made sure the public knew Disneyland wasn't like other amusement parks. It wasn't a seaside pier or a honky-tonk carnival. It was different. There was no beer sold there. That was a huge change.

And obviously Walt was a drinker. And he made no qualms about including a cocktail lounge and liquor service in his Club 33 plans.

But beer or bourbon for sale to the public? No way. Wine wasn't really an option back then. It wasn't until the 1970's that wine became more common in American life and fine dining. It was mostly beer in the daytime, and cocktails after sundown. Neither were an option at Disneyland.

George Lucas on a Bench

I smoke

20210402_185408.jpg

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

I don't think smoking is a good analogy to use here, because smoking was everywhere in the 1950's into 1970's. It was just part of being an adult. You smoked. Your friends smoked. Everyone smoked. It didn't bother you, or at least you didn't know you were supposed to be bothered by it.

Heck, I don't smoke but I still put out an ashtray, a table lighter and a little cigarette box with some cigarettes in it when I have parties or guests who I know smoke. It's hospitable and being a good host for older people. And we all die anyway. ⚰️

The alcohol ban at Disneyland is an interesting one to consider culturally. I have always understood it as part of the way Walt made sure the public knew Disneyland wasn't like other amusement parks. It wasn't a seaside pier or a honky-tonk carnival. It was different. There was no beer sold there. That was a huge change.

And obviously Walt was a drinker. And he made no qualms about including a cocktail lounge and liquor service in his Club 33 plans.

But beer or bourbon for sale to the public? No way. Wine wasn't really an option back then. It wasn't until the 1970's that wine became more common in American life and fine dining. It was mostly beer in the daytime, and cocktails after sundown. Neither were an option at Disneyland.
Except at HolidayLand

fctiger

But that's literally my point! It was OK to smoke because it was morally acceptable to at the time, even though like alcohol it's a drug. A DEADLY one at that. Today it isn't very acceptable so now you can't smoke at all at DL ironically. But that's all we're talking about, basically attitudes and norms of that time.. Drinking was considered more of a no-no back then. Today, it isn't. There were plenty of places you couldn't drink back then that you can now. When I was younger for example, most movie theaters I went to never served alcohol. But today, every theater I go to (or use to ;)) not only serve alcohol, many now have actual bars you can drink at before the movie starts and becoming more and more popular in L.A.

And we also know a lot more places like fast food restaurants don't serve alcohol today because of all the outdated prohibition laws that still makes it hard for certain businesses to sell alcohol. Why does McDonalds sell alcohol in parts of Asia and Europe but not America? I looked it up, because they make it extra hard in America to even serve alcohol even if they wanted to, which clearly they do because they have no issue selling it in countries where they can.

But we all know America is still a prudish country in many ways since we have literally the highest drinking age law in the world, but that's for another thread.

Last edited:

TP2000

But that's literally my point! It was OK to smoke because it was morally acceptable to at the time, even though like alcohol it's a drug. A DEADLY one at that. Today it isn't very acceptable so now you can't smoke at all at DL ironically. But that's all we're talking about, basically attitudes and norms of that time.. Drinking was considered more of a no-no back then. Today, it isn't. There were plenty of places you couldn't drink back then that you can now. When I was younger for example, most movie theaters I went to never served alcohol. But today, every theater I go to (or use to ;)) not only serve alcohol, many now have actual bars you can drink at before the movie starts and becoming more and more popular in L.A.

And we also know a lot more places like fast food restaurants don't serve alcohol today because of all the outdated prohibition laws that still makes it hard for certain businesses to sell alcohol. Why does McDonalds sell alcohol in parts of Asia and Europe but not America? I looked it up, because they make it extra hard in America to even serve alcohol even if they wanted to, which clearly they do because they have no issue selling it in countries where they can.

But we all know America is still a prudish country in many ways since we have literally the highest drinking age law in the world, but that's for another thread.

Ah, I get it. And good point. I like that America is still rather prudish. It makes being naughty more fun! :cool:

But all this talk of sin has done late on a Friday night is want me to break out my little crystal cigarette box for guests with some Parliaments in it and have a cigarette, the first one in many months. Because it's Easter, and I don't want to be too holy. So I think I'll have a glass of whiskey and a Parliament as my Easter weekend kickoff nightcap. I'll leave my shotgun in the bedroom closet though. ;)

Last edited:

truecoat

Ah, I get it. And good point. I like that America is still rather prudish. It makes being naughty more fun! :cool:

But all this talk of sin has done late on a Friday night is want me to break out my little crystal cigarette box for guests with some Parliaments in it and have a cigarette, the first one in many months. Because it's Easter, and I don't want to be too holy. So I think I'll have a glass of whiskey and a Parliament as my Easter weekend kickoff nightcap. I'll leave my shotgun in the bedroom closet though. ;)

I love the movie The Day the Earth Stood Still from 1951 but this scene here just cracks me up.

DanielBB8

While smoking is unacceptable today, the irony is marijuana is allowed. Society has strange priorities. Soft narcotics are increasingly made non-illegal. If there’s a mixed message, it’s everything that can hurt your body is illegal except when it’s illegal drugs in the drug trade.

Did you know marijuana is good for you? Terminal patients need them. Then all people need them and can smoke them. Never mind about lung damage from smoking. Any doctor will prescribe marijuana unless your location doesn’t require a prescription. Kids will see right through this including the campaign to outlaw vaping. So cigarette smoking is actually safer? Ironic. Governments actually enjoy taxes from cigarettes and sorry to see them go away. So they’re not entirely going away.

Zorro

Then there's the irony that smoking is still more socially accepted in Europe. You can still find designated smoking areas within Disneyland Paris for people to enjoy their drags.

Nosmoking_shot.jpg

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

Makes me want to go out and get a pack right now!

George Lucas on a Bench

Parliaments are good but I love Chesterfield and Winston Reds.

mandelbrot

It has always been extremely easy for people to bring alcohol into Disneyland. Whenever you're in the park you are among thousands of people who are experiencing some level of intoxication. That has been true since day 1. The belief that because Disneyland doesn't sell alcohol everyone around you is sober is deeply misguided.

With Disneyland expanding alcohol service the only difference you'll see in guest behavior is fewer people hogging stalls in restrooms to sneak a drink.

TP2000

While smoking is unacceptable today, the irony is marijuana is allowed. Society has strange priorities. Soft narcotics are increasingly made non-illegal. If there’s a mixed message, it’s everything that can hurt your body is illegal except when it’s illegal drugs in the drug trade.

Did you know marijuana is good for you? Terminal patients need them. Then all people need them and can smoke them. Never mind about lung damage from smoking. Any doctor will prescribe marijuana unless your location doesn’t require a prescription. Kids will see right through this including the campaign to outlaw vaping. So cigarette smoking is actually safer? Ironic. Governments actually enjoy taxes from cigarettes and sorry to see them go away. So they’re not entirely going away.

No kidding!

It absolutely fascinates me to see what is socially acceptable in 2021 (strip mall marijuana shops, needle injected heroin with used needles dumped on children's playgrounds, etc.) and what is now socially unacceptable (cigarettes, plastic straws, etc.).

If you had gone back in time 40 years and tried to explain to someone that this is what Acceptable Liberal Society is like in 2021, they would have never believed you. But here we are. Pass the joint, but scorn that awful woman smoking the Virginia Slims in the corner like the sinful outcast she is! 🤣

Makes me want to go out and get a pack right now!

It's that recessed filter tip that does it. The filter never touches your lips. You get the most out of mildness with Parliament. ;)

Parliaments are good but I love Chesterfield and Winston Reds.

You know what's funny? I stock my little crystal cigarette box for party guests with Parliaments. And I buy a pack down at Ralph's about twice a year. But somehow that company now knows my name and address, and both Parliament and Chesterfield send me glossy coupon books a few times per year. They may track my credit card I use? They must be made by the same company. It's not RJ Reynolds, I think it's Phillip Morris?

Either way, a Parliament is a great cigarette to offer a party guest. It's mild but works for both men and ladies, and the recessed filter tip really is a nice touch.

Whoever it is, I'm on their mailing list! :cool:

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom