Disneyland 3rd park Discussion

3vp24RPE.png
TwilightZone, thanks for clearing that up! As you can tell, I hadn't come across of these before, and now that you've posted the answer I am enlightened with this information and will be able to use it in future exchanges of information. Thanks again, and have a magical day.

Last edited:

Darkbeer1

IF anything happens soon, besides the Eastern Gateway, which will allow DCA expansion into the current transportation hub area, it will be a "Resort Hotel" in Garden Grove with a heavy DVC component, to help pay for the construction of the property.

But I would say that won't start the political hurdles until 2020, if not later.

As for a third park, the ONLY chance currently is if the Angels leave Anaheim, and based on the new Mayor, that is very unlikely.

Darkbeer1

Wouldn’t size of DCA (95 acres) virtually make it impossible to construct another park on DCA Disney property?
For the most part yes, and why talks by fans go to the Toy Story Lot or Garden Grove, and now the very slight possibility of the Angel Stadium property.

But in reality, Disneyland Park is built out, and anything new will replace something else. One discussion is moving more backstage facilities to a remote site.

DCA has plans to use the current Transportation Plaza area for construction, and why Disney wants to build the Eastern Gateway project. And DCA might find a bit more available space on the South side by moving more backstage facilities off-site.

But in reality there is no active plans for a 3rd Park. While Disney is constantly looking at the Anaheim area real estate properties that might be going on the market for investment purposes, the need for Guests/CM/employee parking has the highest priority currently, followed by a possible site for a new hotel.

DanielBB8

DCA is so underutilized. They should try to squeeze another 8 million annual attendance before even considering the 3rd Park. Give us Mystic Manor or a Californian Ratatouille (Hey Dude!).

Disneylover152

Honestly, with the leaked Fantastic Worlds 4th theme park at Universal Orlando, if Disney is planning on creating another park for the U.S., it'd be Disney World's 5th Gate.

TwilightZone

Honestly, with the leaked Fantastic Worlds 4th theme park at Universal Orlando, if Disney is planning on creating another park for the U.S., it'd be Disney World's 5th Gate.
Honestly, what can disney do beyond what they have?
It would just be smarter for them to expand on their existing parks IMO.

Darkbeer1

Honestly, what can disney do beyond what they have?
It would just be smarter for them to expand on their existing parks IMO.

OK, the reason for more parks is to drive the on-site lodging and dining. And to keep the guests away from the competition.

Michael Eisner rushed and underdelivered MGM Studios in reaction to Universal Studios Orlando.

He also wanted to turn Disneyland into an uber hip resort in La La Land, but money was short, and DCA was underdelivered, as was DtD. Amazing Disneyland stayed the true classic and kept delivering.

And Disney Parks is slowly fixing Michael's mistakes. No need to add any more parks, just make sure the current ones are worth the high ticket prices.

Only if WDW Hotels hit low occupancy's do you think of adding a new park.

I think looking at the current Cruise Ship competition, heck, Carnival will have a new ship with a Roller Coaster on it, that Disney needs to invest there to keep its market share.

fctiger

Honestly we would all love a third park being Disney fans but unless Disney is willing to drop $2 billion on it from the outset and make it on something on the level of TDS, Epcot or TDS, I think it's going to have the same perception as DCA did in a way (but hopefully better) and that is a half day park not worth seeing on its own that can take years for it to develop, as we are seeing with DCA. And watch all the complaints about it in the process.

WDW got away with it with MGM because by that point people were already staying 3-4 days in the resort and there was tons to do already between the theme parks, water parks, DTD, golfing, etc. They now could use one of those days to see the new park. DCA didn't have the same response because most people who stayed literally just came to see DL and leave. Now of course they have expanded their time a bit longer with DCA but still very little. And because it doesn't have the land WDW does its not going to be the same having a park blocks away from the main resort. DCA is literally across from DL and they still couldn't get people to bother. It would be even harder if you build a park away from everything else. They will have shuttles and all of that but it would feel like a pain to go back and forth to like they can now.

I really think its best to make DL and DCA the best they can be. If and when they really do run out of room for future expansion maybe then its a possibility. But as SWL proved, they still have tons of room to build things if they are creative enough.

Mike730

Not based on city permits and other factors. Much of Toy Story will end up in the city's hands for expansion of Gene Autry Way, and more Convention Parking. Disney is getting other things in trade.
Are you saying Gene Autry Way will go through the current Toy Story lot to connect to the convention center directly?

Darkbeer1

*shutters* The puppets still haunt me at night...

I wish I could find my review of it from December 2000 during previews.

I still remember trying SOMETHING nice to say about it. I think I failed.....
Wow. You’ve got that right. Any idea what Disney would be looking to get most in return?

The first one is zoning on land they own outside the DRSP. And probably land somewhere to make up for giving up part of the Strawberry Field. Maybe for parking or backstage, as nothing is available close by.

TP2000

The four existing Disney World parks are horribly underbuilt with rides and attractions. DHS only has six rides currently, and when they open Star Wars there it will only have nine rides. 9! Animal Kingdom is also very weak, and Epcot and Magic Kingdom have been ignored for too long even with the three new rides being built in those parks.

A 5th park for WDW may happen in the 2030's or later, but the existing parks there need another two decades of agressive ride construction and TLC to existing facilities.

TP2000

Are you saying Gene Autry Way will go through the current Toy Story lot to connect to the convention center directly?

Gene Autry Way has always been a road that was supposed to connect the Convention Center with Angel Stadium, and both the City of Anaheim and CalTrans want it to be completed. It's actually an old project, not something new, and it's been in Anaheim's planning documents for years and years. It's also why the Gene Autry Way freeway interchange was built by CalTrans.

city_presentation_Page_10.jpg

mlayton144

The four existing Disney World parks are horribly underbuilt with rides and attractions. DHS only has six rides currently, and when they open Star Wars there it will only have nine rides. 9! Animal Kingdom is also very weak, and Epcot and Magic Kingdom have been ignored for too long even with the three new rides being built in those parks.

A 5th park for WDW may happen in the 2030's or later, but the existing parks there need another two decades of agressive ride construction and TLC to existing facilities.

LOL, there are about 30 million people per year that spend big money to enjoy those horribly under built parks, resorts, restaurants , and entertainment options. And to think those people that spend all of that time and money, even though they leave there so incredibly bored and disappointed, return at all. If only they could pack in as many rides as Anaheim they might even be able to sell tens of thousands of people timeshares , but that just isn’t possible with the lack of things to do there

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom