Disneyland’s soaring ticket prices make sense. And cents. - OCR

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
From the Business section, or should I say page. (The Register is now normally just 2 sections, The main news section, which contains International, National, State and Local News, Opinion, Business plus Comics and Crosswords. The second section is Sports, with the Weather Map on the back page.

https://www.ocregister.com/2018/02/16/disneylands-soaring-ticket-prices-make-sense-and-cents/

>>
How much should one day at Disneyland cost?

Seemingly every year, the Anaheim resort ups its admission prices. And as tradition has it, there’s the post-hike debate: Are Disneyland tickets worth that much?

This time around, Disneyland raised the cost of most of its entrance options with the highest one-day, one-park ticket going up $11 to $135. That jump is only slightly more than the 7 percent average annual growth in this price point since 2000 when admission was $43.

Seventeen years ago, theme park owner Walt Disney Co. embarked on a big-dollar string of investments in Anaheim, adding a second gate — California Adventure — and overhauling much of the original Disneyland. And visitors have paid for those upgrades.

But is Disney guilty of hiking fees too much? I loaded some pricing data into my trusty spreadsheet to see what the direct competition is getting and where overall consumer prices and spending is headed. I discovered that a few benchmarks — those reflecting high local costs and a growing thirst for entertainment — suggest Disneyland’s more in the pricing ballpark than many people think.<<

Make sure and read the entire article. Some interesting comparisons.

Curious Constance

Every time someone suggests that Disneyland is priced too high, I like to bring up Universal.
If I want to visit one of these parks next Saturday, according to the Universal website, I can purchase a one day ticket for $109, or I can buy a one day ticket that includes front of the line access to each ride one time for $179. One thing to point out is these are prices prior to any price hikes for 2018. When Disney raises their prices, Universal is never far behind. And something that blows my mind, the front of the line one day ticket gets as high as $259 in the summer when they are targeting vacationers.

Or I can go to a Disneyland resort park for $117 (no hopping) or purchase a park hopper for $167.

When I make this point, someone almost always points out that you can get a AP at Universal for far less than Disneyland , but that doesn't matter one bit to me or any of the other millions of vacationers that are planning trips to Southern California.

So if we want to say that Disneyland is priced too high what would that make Universal? I think 95% of everyone would agree Universal is not offering nearly the same level of experience that Disneyland is, and statistically speaking it only has a fraction of the attractions that Disneyland does.

I think the real fact is that for years, and I'm talking decades, Disneyland was UNDERCHARGING, for their experience and is just starting to realize that and adjust accordingly in the last decade.

DanielBB8

Wall Street wants more money, but the traditional way just doesn’t really work. It’s stock price barely moved and seems to go sideways.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom