Disney World's International Workers - a Go Fund Me?

KBLovedDisney

Original Poster
On a clip I recently watched this morning, they have set up (they, not sure who that they is) a Go Fund Me for the international workers that used to work in Epcot to help provide essentials.

Questions:

Did Disney not provide?

Was there a certain care package in place that helped them but only for an allotted time?

----

Does anyone have more details on this? I am so confused.

jloucks

On a clip I recently watched this morning, they have set up (they, not sure who that they is) a Go Fund Me for the international workers that used to work in Epcot to help provide essentials.

Questions:

Did Disney not provide?

Was there a certain care package in place that helped them but only for an allotted time?

----

I'm not sure to what you are referring specifically, but I do know GoFundMe's are just ripe for scams. I would never trust one unless I know a lot about the executor.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Um...care to elaborate? (Sorry, still confused.)
IPs tend to be heavily loaded with persons that have some “means”...often like the same demographics that the CPs do.

Think of it this way: why would disney want a staff with little means and financial strain? When they can pick otherwise?
That is the opposite of their central Florida staff...which is a problem they struggle with.

DisneyJoe

Questions:

Did Disney not provide?

----

Would this be for international workers that cannot get back to their home country?
I believe at some point their visa is going to expire??

KBLovedDisney

Original Poster
Would this be for international workers that cannot get back to their home country?
I believe at some point their visa is going to expire??
I know one was created but I don't have anymore details in regards. The page is starting to sound more and more supsish.

JIMINYCR

I saw there was one set up a long time ago when Disney first informed the workers that Disney was being shut down and they were not providing housing or positions. Someone thought the way Disney abruptly informed them, left them out in the cold without resources, was wrong and they wanted the fund to help with their costs to return home or assist them with housing.

KBLovedDisney

Original Poster
I saw there was one set up a long time ago when Disney first informed the workers that Disney was being shut down and they were not providing housing or positions. Someone thought the way Disney abruptly informed them, left them out in the cold without resources, was wrong and they wanted the fund to help with their costs to return home or assist them with housing.
Ah, that makes sense.

Pepper's Ghost

I'm not sure to what you are referring specifically, but I do know GoFundMe's are just ripe for scams. I would never trust one unless I know a lot about the executor.
Completely agree with @jloucks and others. Sure, GoFundMe campaigns can be legit, but it's a great platform to run scams. Just google "Go Fund Me Scams" and an endless list of scams and fraud will magically appear. Sure it could be legit. It also could be a scam.

KBLovedDisney

Original Poster
Completely agree with @jloucks and others. Sure, GoFundMe campaigns can be legit, but it's a great platform to run scams. Just google "Go Fund Me Scams" and an endless list of scams and fraud will magically appear. Sure it could be legit. It also could be a scam.
I saw the one where this couple set up a page for a homeless man. Made it to the news because it was such a scam. Crazy people.

Pepper's Ghost

I saw the one where this couple set up a page for a homeless man. Made it to the news because it was such a scam. Crazy people.
Bingo! First one I always think of too. "Homeless guy" gives his last $20 to a woman with car trouble, and they raise $400k for the "homeless guy". Such a touching story. Of course all participants including the "homeless guy" have since pleaded guilty... https://www.buzzfeednews.com/articl...an-pleads-guilty-viral-gofundme-scam-homeless

NelleBelle

I would hope that the IP workers could get some help from their country's consulates? I know that's not necessarily going to give them housing funds, but it may help with getting them back home in some manner (organizing special flights out, etc). I know if it were me living abroad, I would be trying to get myself back home ASAP as soon as hell broke out here back in March, if at all feasible. I know that may not have always been possible (I remember reading about a women's football team stuck in South America trying to get back home).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom