News Disney World now offers character-inspired makeovers for all ages

The Empress Lilly

Did you see the video?

That wouldn’t look good anywhere...but it is what it is. I’m sure I’ll get my chance to judge it in person at Be Out Guest or Chef Mickeys...if I ever went there.

Carry on.
My first instinct was 'Please God, not this too'. Arrested development adults acting out their pre-school party fantasies.

I do disagree with your earlier, now sadly disappeared post. ;) This doesn't strike me as drunk and looking for love. Au contraire, more as the sober and sexless variant of what people dress up like for big city clubs on Friday and Saturday night. Just why that should be considered the height of cool and trendy and this as the height of uncool I'm not sure. Maybe we are wrong.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
My first instinct was 'Please God, not this too'. Arrested development adults acting out their pre-school party fantasies.

I do disagree with your earlier, now sadly disappeared post. ;) This doesn't strike me as drunk and looking for love. Au contraire, more as the sober and sexless variant of what people dress up like for big city clubs on Friday and Saturday night. Just why that should be considered the height of cool and trendy and this as the height of uncool I'm not sure. Maybe we are wrong.

It reminds me of a sorority mixer or lame bachelorette party...hence the “drunk and looking for love”...but it went to the bad place down the rabbit hole - so deletion seemed appropriate.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
How is this any different from 95+% of the clothing they sell in the parks? Most of the hats/shirts/etc aren't something a majority of us would wear, but yet at the parks it's acceptable.

Hey...I don’t disagree at all...

I have long questioned the merchandise and how it affects the parks business...but that water flowed downstream long ago.

Doesn’t make it more “ok”, however. That a societal problem...people do the wrong things and double down because somebody else did “more wrong” prior. ...Huh??!!

Princess Leia

Depending on the prices, my friends and I might do this in October, especially if we go to a Halloween party (I wouldn’t want to spend all day in the heat in full make up, but would for the evening). There really isn’t any harm in it, unless someone asks for Rapunzel hair lol (it’s a braid with flowers, people, you can do that yourself)

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Wait. What? Why do you consider this wrong?

“Wrong” isnt the right word...I wasn’t speaking specifically about this topic there...so tangent discarded.

“Not the best thing to spend time/money on” is probably the most accurate. It’s been one of those days.

And I know: personal choice/value. I don’t need to see it typed again.
There’s a case to be made that “personal choice” has allowed the management to drastically change the pricing structure and lowered the experience under the cover of a Customer created narrative. But that’s a book and it will veer Wildly off course. “We feel it’s worth it TOO US.” Is often applied to services or policies that were once included in other prices - and at much lower relative rates. I bet someone is arguing right now that the parking fee is “worth it...because...”. It’s like the victim blaming themself.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!

Maybe they just see it as fun. You know ... fun?

KBLovedDisney

and maybe it's because I live in a city but it's not that pricey. lol, for women a good hair cut and color will easily set you back 100-125 bucks. A general wash and curls is 50 bucks and I tip 10 bucks.
Ah. I don't get out much, and color usually comes in a good 'ole $15 dollar box;)

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
convenient parking worth is not based on cost. If someone's experience is trying to deal with slow packed buses with strollers, kids that are evil at the end of the night, whether or not is was free is moot. they'll pay whatever is asked to not have to get on the bus.

I can agree with the rest of what you said...but not this.

Disclaimer: i’m Not appalled at any pricing, excuse for pricing, or change in expectation put on the consumer at Disney parks. I know who they are and what they do.

It’s the lack of customer response that gets me. Very silly to not respond in most cases.

Ot info edited

Last edited by a moderator:

The Empress Lilly

Maybe they just see it as fun. You know ... fun?
Some would find it fun to dress up in their latex sex kitten kostume. Fun has an effect.

As for this, as usual I'm fairly liberal, I'm fine with anybody showing up naked with Avatar bodypaint, or in Tarzan loin cloth, or fresh out of these adult Bibbidy Boppidy Boo boutiques. But the parks do change in character because of guests' attires. Compare, again, thousands of guests suddenly showing up naked in alien sex kitten costumes. (Because fun!)

More character-centric, more communal, more see-and-be-seen, more a Disney for adults imitating the kids rather than kids imitating adults (WDW went from a place where kids can drive a car to adults who can have facepaint), more focused on the guest himself rather than the park. (At some point, guests changed from taking pictures of the parks to pictures of themselves)

I do prefer this over the tendency to dress like a clown, especially when going to the MK. At least some care is made to look good. I also prefer Disney bounding or Dapper Days.

Last edited:

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Some would find it fun to dress up in their latex sex kitten kostume. Fun has an effect.

As for this, as usual I'm fairly liberal, I'm fine with anybody showing up naked with Avatar bodypaint, or in Tarzan loin cloth, or fresh out of these adult Bibbidy Boppidy Boo boutiques. But the parks do change in character because of guests' attires. Compare, again, thousands of guests suddenly showing up naked in alien sex kitten costumes. (Because fun!)

More character-centric, more communal, more see-and-be-seen, more a Disney for adults imitating the kids rather than kids imitating adults (WDW went from a place where kids can drive a car to adults who can have facepaint), more focused on the guest himself rather than the park. (At some point, guests changed from taking pictures of the parks to pictures of themselves)

I do prefer this over the tendency to dress like a clown, especially when going to the MK. At least some care is made to look good. I also prefer Disney bounding or Dapper Days.
Your argument becomes a tad silly when you have to go to extremes to make a point.
images(23).jpg
images(24).jpg

I put them in labeled spoilers in case you were unable to tell the difference.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!

Whoa! What video did YOU watch??? I didn't see any sex kittens, loin cloths, or naked people painted up like Blue Meanies...

All I saw was some color-coordinated make-up with hair-dos and ornaments.

SuperStretccch

I'm sorry, I can't tell if you're being serious or not, but this was one of the funniest things I've ever read on this site. Keep it up ;)

Hear that? That's the sound of Disney siphoning more money from my pockets. Sign me up! Being serious, this sounds cool but I'm getting sad with so many upcharges. Soon park entrance won't even buy rides and attractions. We'll be paying over $100 to get in and then buying books of rides, like people did when they opened. I can see this being attractive to a lot of people, including myself but it's still overpriced.
From the Orlando Sentinel:

The new “Character Couture” makeover packages — for visitors age 4 and up — are now available. ... These aren’t your run-of-the-mill Disney makeovers, where you walk out dressed as a princess. Instead, Character Couture makeovers involve intricate hairdos — each customized to the customer — and elaborate eye makeup with a pop of color on the cheeks and lips. ... Character styles offered by select Disney World salons include princesses, princes, villains, fab five, “galactic” styles and “hero/heroine” styles — but these makeovers are customized, so guests can request any character under the Disney realm. ...
The packages are offered in three tiers:

• Storybook Style (includes hair — you’ll get plenty of bobby pins to take home as souvenirs as a bonus),
  • Magical Makeover (includes hair and makeup and takes about an hour and a half to complete, so plan accordingly) and
  • Timeless Transformation (includes hair, makeup and nails). Note: Makeup only includes eyes, cheeks and lips, and there is an extra charge for foundation and contouring.
Pricing depends on the age group, with child makeovers for ages 4-14 and adult makeovers for all other ages. The cost for the makeovers ranges from $50 for a Storybook Style child package to $120 for a Timeless Transformation adult package.
Character Couture makeovers are currently offered at

• Ivy Trellis Salon at Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa;
  • La Vida Health Club at Disney’s Coronado Springs Resort;
  • Ship Shape Massage Salon Fitness at Disney’s Yacht Club and Beach Club resorts; and
  • Salon by the Springs at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom