Disney World Nanny - That Extra Hand!

SarahAlthea

Original Poster
Hello, my name is Sarah and I am looking for some input from Moms/Dads about possibly being a "Disney World Nanny".

The Idea: To provide a Disney World Nanny service, where I would meet a family in the park and be that extra hand you always seem to need to help keep up with your kids at a theme park.

My Background: I am the oldest of ten kids and was a nanny for two years to two little boys ages 2 &4. I have run multiple Summer camps and work for a company that runs Youth Sports leagues. I have also coached Middle School girls Volleyball. I will be getting full CPR and First Aid training as well as lifeguard certification in the next few months.

Why I want to be a Disney Nanny: I LOVE DISNEY WORLD! And the best part to me is seeing the little kids enjoying the magic. Because to them, it really is magic! Basically, I just want an excuse to go to Disney a lot and play with little kids. Who wouldn't!

How it will work: Using a website I will connect with families via Phone conversations, Skype, and references (both for them and for me). I live an hour and a half from the park, so I would just meet my families at the park or their hotel at a designated time each day.

The Cost: I already have a Disney pass, and will renew if this works out, so I am thinking I will charge $50-$75 per kid per day. Plus any reserved dining or other activities that are not covered with my pass would have to be payed for by the family.

Please let me know what you think or if you have any suggestions. Thanks!

tor29c

I suggest better defining what you mean by "all day" and what would the additional hourly cost be for those who want you beyond those hours. I think you have a good idea but I have worries from both sides. As a parent, I definitely want to see that you are certified in both First Aid and CPR. Skyping would be helpful since I won't meet you until the vacation begins. I personally don't let just anyone around my babies so the more comfortable I can be with you the more likely you are to be hired. But, if I am the mom of the nanny, I would also worry about these parents who are hiring you. I would want contact information for all adults in the party, including first and last names, home addresses, and cell phone numbers. I would want to know the name of the hotel, the room numbers, etc too. There are just too many creeps in the world and I would have to know I can provide law enforcement with important information if you come up missing. I truly do wish you the best but be careful!!!

docdebbi

as the grandmother of three boys ages 4 and under, boy could we have used an extra pair of hands- and more importantly EYES- on our last two trips.
i think this is a great idea, we would certainly use this service. i can see it expanding to you having multiple "mom's helpers" if it grows.

advertising is your key if you want to get this off the ground, look at the number of stroller and grocery delivery services that have sprung up in recent years, once the idea got out there, everyone hopped on board.

if there is a market- and i think there will be for this- it will grow. you just need to get the word out there.
i agree that you will probably end up charging more than 50-75 per day, but i think most of us would gladly pay for the extra help.

from your safety point of view: it is a public place, i am not seeing it as dangerous as tor29c is anticipating. stay public, you should be safe. we use the in room babysitting every time we go for one night out at a nice dinner, they theoretically are putting themselves at higher risk than you would- they come into your private room.

you would need to be able to provide references, nobody wants to hire the Craig's list serial killer, but that should be easily done. skype would be nice, but i don't get to skype my in room babysitters that are provided by disney, and if they don't like you- they get to say- hey lady- go away. day done, no big loss for anyone

i personally can't wait for you to have this up and running, we are your first customers!

good luck

awoogala

You would need some major references, along with some major insurance. I'd want to know any sitters were bonded/background checks. Drug tests, etc. You might want to check laws for the city and state.

Joey Jurado

Hi Sarah, we are very interested in your services were can I contact you to discuss further, maybe a package of 3 or 4 days to the parks, we will be visiting Sept 1, our son will be 1 yr 10 months and could use a hand to ride together my wife and I, also we could do child swap with you!

Weather_Lady

Hi Sarah, we are very interested in your services were can I contact you to discuss further, maybe a package of 3 or 4 days to the parks, we will be visiting Sept 1, our son will be 1 yr 10 months and could use a hand to ride together my wife and I, also we could do child swap with you!

@Joey Jurado - FYI, if you want to be sure and get Sarah's attention, I'd recommend tagging her in your message, and sending her a private message.

Joey Jurado

Hello, my name is Sarah and I am looking for some input from Moms/Dads about possibly being a "Disney World Nanny".

The Idea: To provide a Disney World Nanny service, where I would meet a family in the park and be that extra hand you always seem to need to help keep up with your kids at a theme park.

My Background: I am the oldest of ten kids and was a nanny for two years to two little boys ages 2 &4. I have run multiple Summer camps and work for a company that runs Youth Sports leagues. I have also coached Middle School girls Volleyball. I will be getting full CPR and First Aid training as well as lifeguard certification in the next few months.

Why I want to be a Disney Nanny: I LOVE DISNEY WORLD! And the best part to me is seeing the little kids enjoying the magic. Because to them, it really is magic! Basically, I just want an excuse to go to Disney a lot and play with little kids. Who wouldn't!

How it will work: Using a website I will connect with families via Phone conversations, Skype, and references (both for them and for me). I live an hour and a half from the park, so I would just meet my families at the park or their hotel at a designated time each day.

The Cost: I already have a Disney pass, and will renew if this works out, so I am thinking I will charge $50-$75 per kid per day. Plus any reserved dining or other activities that are not covered with my pass would have to be payed for by the family.

Please let me know what you think or if you have any suggestions. Thanks!

Hi @SarahAlthea , we are very interested in your services were can I contact you to discuss further, maybe a package of 3 or 4 days to the parks, we will be visiting Sept 1, our son will be 1 yr 10 months and could use a hand to ride together my wife and I, also we could do child swap with you!

HollyAD

I think this could be a business idea. It may be in your interest to do some research on starting an actual business out of this. Also, you should have liability insurance associated with your services. You never know, this could be a big deal someday. You could find other people to be Disney nannies and build a real business out of this. If the nannies belong to your business and your business is reputable, you could make some money. I know taking multiple kids to the park can be high anxiety. I only have one but he is enough to keep me on my toes. I know parents of multiple children would be happy to have an extra set of eyes.It is all public so the nannies would be pretty safe. No one is going to smuggle an adult out of WDW. There would have to be strict rules for the safety of the nannies as mentioned above. No offsite nanny duties would probably be a good plan.

disney4life2008

I would never leave my child with someone I met on the internet so I'm sorry but I have no good info for you.

LOL. As good as it may sound - I am with you. But I am sure many people would. However, if I had children and I did not want to be bothered with them on vacation I would either bring a friend or family member that could watch them. I am not comfortable with the idea at all - especially on any online forum. But I am sure many people would love the service.

Animator76

Sounds like really mixed opinions on this. It is a good idea. Who wouldn't want a nanny service at their disposal when traveling to the park? If it were endorsed by disney, that would make a difference. My kids are way too precious to hand over to someone that I met online though. The thought of my family becoming a movie on lifetime channel about a crazy nanny keeps popping into my mind. Sorry, just my opinion.

Phillip

You posted this just to try and promote yourself to people. How about running ads instead of wasting space on a message board. Totally ridiculous..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom