News Disney World Earmarks 80 Acres for Affordable Housing

lazyboy97o

I guess I'm not smart enough to understand why this is a bad thing.
Because there are poor ways to do things. Look at housing projects and how they became havens for crime as an example. The way this is being designed is still car centric, which is a huge expense that impacts cost of living. Treated pedestrian and transit oriented design as luxury items devalues the lives of lower income earners by putting them at greater risk of injury and death.

Patcheslee

I Love affordable housing…it’s really a no brainer

The problem is how it’s operated…which is bad in that town.

Rent outpaces compensation. The term “affordable” is ambiguous in even in northern states. Let alone that circus
That's the big question I had, I assume they will have income limits, and possibly income based rent prices. The more you make the more they take.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That's the big question I had, I assume they will have income limits, and possibly income based rent prices. The more you make the more they take.
It’s possible…but it matters what those limits are and what they are based on?

Some places have suggested 60% as a reasobable living cost. Get the actual hell out of here.

Even worse now…prices haven’t been jacked like this since 1981

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Because there are poor ways to do things. Look at housing projects and how they became havens for crime as an example. The way this is being designed is still car centric, which is a huge expense that impacts cost of living. Treated pedestrian and transit oriented design as luxury items devalues the lives of lower income earners by putting them at greater risk of injury and death.
Are you talking about post WW2 projects?

…yeah…they designed/built them to be enclaves of poverty.

Fortunately that’s not ALWAYS the case now

brettf22

Premium Member
It’s possible…but it matters what those limits are and what they are based on?

Some places have suggested 60% as a reasobable living cost. Get the actual hell out of here.

Even worse now…prices haven’t been jacked like this since 1981
This is definitely one of the challenges with “affordable housing.” It’s usually defined as something like “can’t spend more than 30% of income on housing, and income has to be <60% of the local average household income.”

Around my area, that would mean “affordable housing” would be something like $2300/month.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
This is definitely one of the challenges with “affordable housing.” It’s usually defined as something like “can’t spend more than 30% of income on housing, and income has to be <60% of the local average household income.”

Around my area, that would mean “affordable housing” would be something like $2300/month.
Right…which is untenable

MrPromey

Both projects perpetuate the ridiculous take that pedestrian and, to a lesser extent transit, oriented design are luxury items. It’s okay if the poors get hit by a car.

Although the irony around me at least is that in addition to higher housing costs, the more urban areas also tend to have the worst prices on everything - grocers, pharmacies, basic restaurants, etc.

In the more gentrified areas, it's because the stores tend to be more Whole Foods than Walmarts but in the less affluent, prices are still disproportionately high, but for stores that would not be considered desirable by many in the lower middle class.

It's like someone once pointed out regarding non-urban locales with a similar problem - "Gas always seems to be higher in the poor neighborhoods.".

I understand that that there are some actual causes for this - higher rates of crime which result in higher insurance, having to pay more for security, having to pay employees more to want to work there, more condensed means less retail space which can make pricing for that space anti-competitive which drives up retail rent which drives up prices, etc. but particularly in more urban settings where people are conditioned not to drive, it creates a feeling of entrapment and lack of upward mobility when a person can't easily travel to places where nicer things can be gotten at more reasonable prices. (although Amazon....)

In the case of Disney, this could easily turn into:

"Load 16-hundred Dumbos, what do you get?
Another day older and deeper in debt
Saint Peter don't you call me 'cause I can't go
I owe my soul to the company (D) store"

Not to say this is hopeless and Disney shouldn't be expected to do anything but the situation is definitely a thorny one.

Apologies to Tennessee Earnie Ford.

Last edited:

MrPromey

Theres a moving to Orlando group on FB that appears to be created by some people from DIS mixed with realtors. I joined it for the lulz (although admittedly I need to purchase a house in Orlando this summer) and the group is largely people who want to move to Orlando to be as close to Disney as possible. I know this is a bit strange considering I've been a member of a Disney forum for almost 2 decades and I obviously enjoy Disney as a lifelong Floridian but the idea of moving here solely for Disney seems ...ludicrous.

But from what I can tell in that group it seems places previously known as nothing more than boring suburbs that are barely built up (Davenport, Auburndale, Clermont to an extent) are insanely overpriced now because being close to Disney at any cost means moving to these places and driving up prices. People are even going for Mt Dora, Eustis and Tavares because Orlando is unaffordable. I don't think the people also realize they're unironically pricing out the CMs who work at the place they're moving for (although that's obviously not their fault).

The market is wild out here. Theres people in that group buying homes via Zoom/Facetime. Then the juxtaposition of the WDW CM group where someone recently asked where they could live in their car is downright depressing.

Davenport used to be a sleepy little town. The kind of place where you need to go to the next town over (Hanes City) if you needed anything more than the kind of stuff you would get at a small grocer or feed store.

I had family friends who had a farm there with cattle, orange groves, etc. where I spent time growing up.

Today, I hardly recognize the place. Condos everywhere (many bought up as Aribnb), huge tracts of land once full of trees cleared for the development still on the way.

It's not even that close to Disney but I guess it's close enough.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
They should be doing this, but urban sprawl is bad. By building Flamingo Crossings and this proposed development where they have, they’re going to continue the destruction of open space without tackling the central issue that’s been driving the affordability crisis, the preponderance of car reliant single family subdivisions.

Wake me up when they buy up and tear down a subdivision closer to civilization to build a project like this.
Woah…architecture? Urban planning? Sustainability?

This is all “high minded” for people that book character meals 7 times in a week 😉

I have to say I love it…and I’m much more “stimulated” than I should be 🫢

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Davenport used to be a sleepy little town. The kind of place where you need to go to the next town over (Hanes City) of you needed anything more than the kind of stuff you would get at a small grocer or feed store. I had friends who had a farm there with cattle, orange groves, etc...

Today, I hardly recognize the place. Condos everywhere (many bought up as Aribnb), huge tracts of land once full of trees cleared for the development still on the way.

It's not even that close to Disney but I guess it's close enough.
Davenport sucks 🍭

Clermont blows 🌬

MrPromey

This is slightly off topic, but I wonder why Disney chose Lake Nona to be the home of their new offices. Looking at the land map, it seems they have space north of these new apartments, still on Western Way.

That work doesn't need to be done directly behind the parks and the people working there can afford the commute, when needed. Most will be salary where time isn't as much of a concern, either. (it's a whole different lifestyle from frontline cast)

Lake Nora is a place to put people that is in relative proximity but doesn't take up more of the finite connected property on something that doesn't need to be connected.

DisneyCane

Are you talking about post WW2 projects?

…yeah…they designed/built them to be enclaves of poverty.

Fortunately that’s not ALWAYS the case now
I understand why they did it but the biggest disservice ever done to low income people was developing low income housing projects that were isolated from housing of other income levels. All the people living there ever see is other poverty stricken people.

If Disney wanted to try and do things a better way, they should have partnered with developers to mix some percentage of low income housing into middle income developments.

Inner cities would look a lot different today (in a much better way) if that's how low income housing had been developed in the prior to the 1970s.

Comped

That work doesn't need to be done directly behind the parks and the people working there can afford the commute, when needed. Most will be salary where time isn't as much of a concern, either. (it's a whole different lifestyle from frontline cast)

Lake Nora is a place to put people that is in relative proximity but doesn't take up more of the finite connected property on something that doesn't need to be connected.
That which isn't currently scheduled to remain in Celebration anyway... Still many jobs advertised as being in Celebration.

John park hopper

I understand why they did it but the biggest disservice ever done to low income people was developing low income housing projects that were isolated from housing of other income levels. All the people living there ever see is other poverty stricken people.

If Disney wanted to try and do things a better way, they should have partnered with developers to mix some percentage of low income housing into middle income developments.

Inner cities would look a lot different today (in a much better way) if that's how low income housing had been developed in the prior to the 1970s.
In theory----- but it never seems to work that way

DCBaker

Premium Member
Original Poster
Disney says the Affordable Housing program they announced last year is anticipated to open in 2026 and groundbreaking is targeted to begin next year.

"This time last year, we first told you about our plans at Walt Disney World to contribute nearly 80 acres of our land to create a new affordable and attainable housing development for our community. This type of land contribution is unique and is one of many ways we are making a lasting impact in Central Florida.

We’ve been making more and more progress on this initiative every day, and now, we’re thrilled to share that groundbreaking on this development is targeted for next year, with the first units anticipated to be completed in 2026. We are also expanding our vision to now include approximately 1,400 total units – over 100 higher than we had initially announced. We hope to make a positive impact wherever we can in our community, so to be able to offer more units means even more Florida families will get access to attainable housing, in addition to creating new Florida jobs as part of the construction and operation.

As we previously announced, The Michaels Organization, a nationally recognized developer, will build and operate the property, which would be just a few miles away from the Magic Kingdom, near schools and shopping, including Flamingo Crossings Town Center, which continues to open more great retail and dining spots. The development, which is planned to be privately financed, will be limited to applicants within a certain income range.

Walt Disney World President Jeff Vahle and our team met earlier this week with leaders from The Michaels Organization here in Florida, and we discussed how we hope this development inspires others in the community and across the country to support this important issue in innovative ways.

While we continue to work closely with The Michaels Organization to make progress on this initiative, Disney has been on the front line, supporting important causes in our community. We recently joined Coalition for the Homeless of Central Florida, an organization that our cast members passionately support year-round through our Disney VoluntEARS program, for the grand opening of its newly renovated youth center, which was built with the help of a $100,000 Disney grant. And late last year, Walt Disney World and Disneyland Resort announced significant donations to local community food banks to support families in need, totaling more than $300,000.

Please know we will continue to share more details, including more information on how to apply for those who qualify, when we can. In the meantime, we will keep working diligently behind the scenes to bring this important initiative to life! Visit DisneyFlorida.com to learn more."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom