News Disney World Cast Member unions to begin week of negotiations for wage increases, healthcare costs and more

Lilofan

I still think that paying dishwashers $18 an hour is nuts..but what do I know...it just seems like moving away from union workers in all areas possible is inevitable.

We have created an interesting economy...
I was a dishwasher on the work study financial aid package back in the day 4 years of college. Good times working with friends, eating for free and taking wrapped leftovers with permission back to the dorm for late night munchies.

MR.Dis

The unions better enjoy their small victory while they can. Some 3 years ago it was estimated there were 10 million illegal aliens, and in the last 3 year approx 7 million more have entered the country. The answer is very simple, change the immigration laws to allow the 17 million to have work visas. Florida is a right to work state. If all of a sudden there a millions of available laborers, well you can bet your bottom dollar that the next contract will call for zero increases, that is if Disney does not just decide to let them all go an replace all of them (if they can do it with their IT department they certainly can with CMs).

Mr. Moderate

I'm conflicted on this, but I'm happy for the CM's who for far too long were paid terrible wages and should have been treated better in the past. I do know that Disney will not just take the brunt of this and absorb the costs and even more price hikes are on their way. It's going to make for some interesting times and I'm pretty sure the economy isn't going to adjust to this too well and there will be some growing pains coming. However with our manufacturing base gone and the high paying jobs they provided gone as well, what do you do to fill the millions of jobs across the country that some don't deem worthy of a living wage? I don't have the answers, but I have worries of runaway inflation getting much worse and prices getting even more beyond our reach. Disney has already priced my family out of going to the parks like we did in the past, so I imagine there will be many more in my situation. I hope Disney can find a middle ground here.

In reality I just wish Disney would have treated the front line CM's better in the past and not had the pay structure they do for the top level executives who make in my opinion, some serious money, including huge bonuses. It should have never gotten to that point imho and more attention given to those CM's working hard to make Disney World special for the guests. I don't even know how some of them got by working for the Disney Parks on both coasts and trying to survive in the greater Orlando and Anaheim area?

I'm sorry for rambling and this is a complicated subject for me.

GrumpyFan

Somebody correct me here if I'm wrong, but didn't Disney reduce other benefits the last time the Union negotiated a raise?
I seem to recall that some the Aspire benefits were reduced where they went from paying for two courses per semester to just one. I think there were other benefit reductions as well, but I don't have the details. I know they've changed which colleges and programs are eligible several times as well, making it difficult to complete education programs.

Source: I have relatives who have worked at WDW for more than 5 yrs and they have been working on their Masters and have grown frustrated with the "benefit" because of the changes.

Smiley/OCD

I'm conflicted on this, but I'm happy for the CM's who for far too long were paid terrible wages and should have been treated better in the past. I do know that Disney will not just take the brunt of this and absorb the costs and even more price hikes are on their way. It's going to make for some interesting times and I'm pretty sure the economy isn't going to adjust to this too well and there will be some growing pains coming. However with our manufacturing base gone and the high paying jobs they provided gone as well, what do you do to fill the millions of jobs across the country that some don't deem worthy of a living wage? I don't have the answers, but I have worries of runaway inflation getting much worse and prices getting even more beyond our reach. Disney has already priced my family out of going to the parks like we did in the past, so I imagine there will be many more in my situation. I hope Disney can find a middle ground here.

In reality I just wish Disney would have treated the front line CM's better in the past and not had the pay structure they do for the top level executives who make in my opinion, some serious money, including huge bonuses. It should have never gotten to that point imho and more attention given to those CM's working hard to make Disney World special for the guests. I don't even know how some of them got by working for the Disney Parks on both coasts and trying to survive in the greater Orlando and Anaheim area?

That’s a great take on the situation and I can promise you that IF the economy tanks, and we are hit with even higher inflation which causes attendance to free fall, those unfortunate CM’s will face layoffs.
Look, I have feelings and empathy for the CM’s, I’m not heartless and neither is anyone else on here…it’s just as a former small business owner, I KNOW what it’s like on the other side. I wish EACH & EVERY CM, unionized and not, the best…if the recession hits, this whole conversation will be for naught.

fgmnt

Seems unrealistic and unsustainable that wages can rise that fast to work at a theme park. I’ve always wondered why instead of striking or rallying in unions, why not just work for somebody else or do something different. Instead of fight for minimum wage, make one’s goal to get promoted, or seek a different type job. Minimum wage jobs are not career jobs. Are kids actually going to get paid $18 an hr to wave at people with a big foam hand, or have 3 people stand in front of a shut down Figment entrance? That’s $54 hr lol. I own an ice cream parlor and theater. If minimum wage was $18 I would have to close. There would be no profit.
Then so be it.

fgmnt

That’s a great take on the situation and I can promise you that IF the economy tanks, and we are hit with even higher inflation which causes attendance to free fall, those unfortunate CM’s will face layoffs.
Look, I have feelings and empathy for the CM’s, I’m not heartless and neither is anyone else on here…it’s just as a former small business owner, I KNOW what it’s like on the other side. I wish EACH & EVERY CM, unionized and not, the best…if the recession hits, this whole conversation will be for naught.
Do you think if CMs were paid less they would be immune to layoffs? Do you think they would have more protections if they were not unionized? What point are you trying to make here?

el_super

I'm conflicted on this, but I'm happy for the CM's who for far too long were paid terrible wages and should have been treated better in the past. I do know that Disney will not just take the brunt of this and absorb the costs and even more price hikes are on their way.

Generally speaking, Disney's prices are more impacted by market conditions than they are actual costs. If their analysts are doing their jobs correctly, the ticket prices are already exactly at (or close to) the maximum the market will bear for the strategic objectives they are trying to reach. So increasing CM wages probably won't have much impact on gate prices or food prices.

What is more likely is reduction in shifts and cuts to operating hours.

Somebody correct me here if I'm wrong, but didn't Disney reduce other benefits the last time the Union negotiated a raise?

I haven't seen the specifics of this agreement, but generally when these things get hashed out, it's not necessarily a reduction in benefits as it is moving benefits from different groups within the union. I wouldn't be surprised if the real key disagreements were between wage increases at the higher seniority levels versus entry level. Disney would benefit more from bumping up entry level wages, but the unions tend to fight for giving the bulk of wage increases to the ones with more seniority.

Smiley/OCD

Do you think if CMs were paid less they would be immune to layoffs? Do you think they would have more protections if they were not unionized? What point are you trying to make here?
Nope, what I’m saying is that PERHAPS if the increases were not as high, potential layoffs wouldn’t be as widespread and instead of laying off 1000 CM’s, maybe it would be 500.
There’s two vastly different sides here and I don’t think the two sides will ever agree except to say to the CM’s congratulations on the pay hikes and good luck

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
Generally speaking, Disney's prices are more impacted by market conditions than they are actual costs. If their analysts are doing their jobs correctly, the ticket prices are already exactly at (or close to) the maximum the market will bear for the strategic objectives they are trying to reach. So increasing CM wages probably won't have much impact on gate prices or food prices.

What is more likely is reduction in shifts and cuts to operating hours.
This 100% this. No major company sets prices by adding a margin to cost anymore unless they have no choice. It’s whatever they think they can get away with, and input costs don’t change that.

LSLS

Now come on. THIS is going to result in price hikes? THIS? Maybe the excuse is thrown out there for this to cause it, but lets be real, they have been astronomically increasing prices since Iger took over at least, and finding new and sneakier ways to do so. The amount needed to be hiked to cover this at current prices are legit things you wouldn't even notice. I bet the money they generate from Genie + would cover another $2 per cast member. Same with the cost for parking at hotels/elimination of Magic Express. Yeah, prices will go up, cause that's what Iger does. This is not the reason for it, just more of an excuse.

lazyboy97o

The unions better enjoy their small victory while they can. Some 3 years ago it was estimated there were 10 million illegal aliens, and in the last 3 year approx 7 million more have entered the country. The answer is very simple, change the immigration laws to allow the 17 million to have work visas. Florida is a right to work state. If all of a sudden there a millions of available laborers, well you can bet your bottom dollar that the next contract will call for zero increases, that is if Disney does not just decide to let them all go an replace all of them (if they can do it with their IT department they certainly can with CMs).
Being a right to work state doesn’t mean Disney can just drop the collective bargaining agreements. More workers doesn’t fix issues such as housing supply.

Vegas Disney Fan

Lol, this is just dumb. DIsney’s profit margins in the parks division are currently obscene. The wages could double and they’d likely still be profitable.

I think you missed my point, Disney can’t just pick up and move to an area with cheap labor so they have no choice but to pay the wages demanded in the area they’re in. That will be true until they aren’t profitable anymore or it’s more profitable to build elsewhere, then they’ll close and rebuild somewhere else. Only then will the union lose its upper hand, and it’s unfortunately something we’ve see over and over.

There was a time car manufacturing was like this because it would be too expensive to build new plants, but they reached a breaking point and did it. The same is true of all industries, everyone, even Disney, will have a breaking point where it becomes cheaper to build new buildings than to pay ever increasing wages.

(And the wages have doubled over the last ten years, that rate of growth isn’t sustainable, $10 to 20 by 2025 can be absorbed, $20 to 40 by 2035 could likely even be absorbed, but $40 to $80 by 2045 and they likely close the doors, that’s an obviously exaggerated example but meant to show there’s a breaking point, even at Disney.)

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom