News Disney World Cast Member unions to begin week of negotiations for wage increases, healthcare costs and more

Tony the Tigger

Literally Republican talking points
Well, there's an interesting comment. I'm sure several people I have on ignore would find it quite comical.
those you kowtow to
You don't know me.
Why wouldn't you want to raise up someone like you that has worked 2-3 jobs for their entire life
I would and I do, when it is earned and deserved, not when they just get by.
isn't not supporting fair pay for everyone pretty damn rude?
This is the difference between merit and entitlement.
I just feel everyone should have the opportunity to live a life without worrying about the basics on a day to day basis.
I just feel puppies should never die.

I could stop right there, and it would perfectly match your expressed POV. However, I have to acknowledge that there are kill shelters, and because there are some puppies nobody wants or can afford, some that don't have good tempers and the shelter can't afford to keep them all alive indefinitely, some puppies die. They don't just die, they're killed. And that's worse than people making minimum wage.

Patcheslee

Every place is a crappy place to work, that's why they pay you to be there. If it was awesomsauce, you'd do it for free and it would be called a hobby.
I just manage to balance the positives vs negatives. School was paid for, daily job assignment is flexible and not repetitive, decent 401k and pension, less than a mile from home. Negative: all employee meetings with 300 of my closest friends monthly.

Wendy Pleakley

Prices for Disney are dictated by what the market will bear. I don't see wage increases impacting prices any more or less than the increased costs in the current climate of high inflation.

Disney is offering to raise starting wages by $1 on top of the $19 base rate. That's a 5.26% increase. Anyone think Disney prices won't increase by more than 5.26% if this is the final deal?

Last edited:

Wendy Pleakley

It would depend on how much extra they get from tips.

Regardless, a raise that is less than inflation is a pay cut in real terms. Inflation is what, almost 10% over the last two years or so? Disney can't afford to shell out $2 an hour?

dreday3

Regardless, a raise that is less than inflation is a pay cut in real terms. Inflation is what, almost 10% over the last two years or so? Disney can't afford to shell out $2 an hour?

I'm a-okay with wage increases, but it's laughable to act like anyone else gets raises based on inflation. 😂
And if you do get raises based on inflation, never leave that job.

What would the hourly have to be in Orlando to equal cost of living?

Last edited:

Wendy Pleakley

I'm a-okay with wage increases, but it's laughable to act like anyone else gets raises based on inflation. 😂
And if you do get raises based on inflation, never leave that job.

What would the hourly have to be in Orlando to equal cost of living?

Some people certainly do, and the fact that it's seen as unusual is crazy.

Wage adjustments for inflation aren't even raises. They're just keeping wages at the same relative level.

When did pay going down every single year become acceptable?

dreday3

Some people certainly do, and the fact that it's seen as unusual is crazy.

Wage adjustments for inflation aren't even raises. They're just keeping wages at the same relative level.

When did pay going down every single year become acceptable?

It's easy to say it's not acceptable.

But what would you have me do, quit? The only way I get more than a 2 or 3% increase is to get promoted or switch jobs.

In healthcare right now, a lot of people are just happy to be keeping jobs.

Tony the Tigger

I understand that it is standard, it's just a fallacy used to justify not paying people enough.
No, it's just a term. Nobody thinks they are paid "enough." I'm not paid enough. That's life. It's a grind.

Unless someone got a great job right out of college and has no idea what it's like to struggle or live off an "unskilled" job. They might think everyone should have their matching experience even if the others don't have the experience to match.

Businesses, at least small ones, are not hoarding money on the side that they are holding back from salaries. It's not Scrooge McDuck. It's trying to balance fair prices for customers against rising costs of goods, rents, and payroll. Payroll is typically the single largest controllable expense - that's why it's hit when cuts are needed. Why are cuts needed? **Because you have to pay the bills** and circumstances are fluid and constantly changing.

It's different for larger, especially publicly traded businesses like Disney; they have the added variables of stock prices and Boards - not to mention CEO and other upper management salaries. There may be more mud to sling at them when it comes to these things, but they still go through ups and downs and expanding/contracting.

But making rules with only Disney, Walmart, and McDonald's in mind is horrible for Main Street businesses. They are nowhere near on the same playing field.

"Well I think everyone should make enough to pay the (non-constant) rent, even if they are a bagger at Publix, without a second job" is like saying, "Well I think it should never rain."

Tony the Tigger

Inflation is temporary. Will the salaries go back down when everything gets back to normal?

Lilofan

Inflation is a curious thing. Inflation causes prices to rise, but then the prices stick.

Back in mid-70s, a large Snickers bar could be had for $0.25. Now it's $1.50-$2.00.
Wish the price of my 37 inch TV which still works, never broke down, I bought new in 2011 for the sale price of $900 was today price of a new one for $250. The salesman tried to sucker me in purchasing an extended warranty for $300, I declined.

Wendy Pleakley

Inflation is temporary. Will the salaries go back down when everything gets back to normal?

Sure? An employer and employees could agree to a deal that ties wages to inflation with the provision it goes both ways.

Deflation has only occurred twice in the last 60 years and it was a mere −0.1%. in 2015, so salaries going down isn't a realistic proposition either way.

JMcMahonEsq

I would never call anyone who works for those parks in any capacity having to deal with millions of people a day, regardless at what level, "unskilled" under any circumstances.
Well then I would say you have no real understanding from an economic perspective of what unskilled labor is.

Unskilled labor or jobs has been historically defined as a job that does not require any special educational background, and limited to no training or special skills to perform. It is not meant to be a slight at the person performing the role or per se a derogatory remark towards the value of the service.

Tony the Tigger

Sure? An employer and employees could agree to a deal that ties wages to inflation with the provision it goes both ways.

Deflation has only occurred twice in the last 60 years and it was a mere −0.1%. in 2015, so salaries going down isn't a realistic proposition either way.
Fair enough.

Nubs70

Since official inflation has been rather minimal until recently, the absence of wage increases over the last 20 years should be OK then.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom