News Disney world attendance down 80%??

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
I don’t have a problem with that. I’m not gonna snit when people make things work their way...that’s where my background is more or less.

But I hate it when it’s used as a defense of Disney - as it often is. I have watched people defend nonsense and frequent price increases repeatedly over the years as “completely normal” while then pivoting to telling people it’s lazy of them to not pay them if it means sticking a tuna fish sandwich down their pants as a cheap lunch as a show of “dedication and sacrifice”.

This may not be one of those cases...but the mere whiff of it bugs the hell out of me.
By all means your response makes sense. It boils down to different strokes for different folks tbh.

Jrb1979

If they let folks in who have paid admission and wanted to come in, the attendance numbers would be higher, oh wait, they don’t want APs in the park even though they already paid to get in.
Because they don't spend as much as person staying on property. What's so hard to understand. Lex Luthor has already said they don't spend as much and need more people staying on property. If AP holders really wanted into the parks they would just get a room.

Lilofan

As a kid whose family could only take us to Disney by driving 22 hours and bringing PB&Js in for lunch, I can tell you that my parents and I don’t miss it when we hop on a plane or eat out during vacation. Being frugal can be great, but I’m not sure I’d call it magical.
Definition of being frugal is being part of the FIRE crowd. Financially Independent Retire Early

Disstevefan1

Because they don't spend as much as person staying on property. What's so hard to understand. Lex Luthor has already said they don't spend as much and need more people staying on property. If AP holders really wanted into the parks they would just get a room.

The thread is about the 80 percent drop in attendance. All I was trying to say is not everyone who has paid attendance is allowed in, that’s all. What is so hard to understand?

I realize Disney wants you to buy a ticket AND a room. That’s Disney being Disney even during a pandemic.

Someone writes a piece about the 80 percent drop in attendance compared to last year like we are supposed to be surprised? Hello? COVID!

If there was no pandemic the parks would have been mobbed like they were Before the government imposed shutdown of everything.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
If they let folks in who have paid admission and wanted to come in, the attendance numbers would be higher, oh wait, they don’t want APs in the park even though they already paid to get in.
...at a discount. Some people a bit...I think your cost maybe $0.85 a day 😳

Bobs don’t like that kind.
Exactly

seabreezept813

I don’t have a problem with that. I’m not gonna snit when people make things work their way...that’s where my background is more or less.

But I hate it when it’s used as a defense of Disney - as it often is. I have watched people defend nonsense and frequent price increases repeatedly over the years as “completely normal” while then pivoting to telling people it’s lazy of them to not pay them if it means sticking a tuna fish sandwich down their pants as a cheap lunch as a show of “dedication and sacrifice”.

This may not be one of those cases...but the mere whiff of it bugs the hell out of me.

I was just adding to the conversation, not disagreeing. People should do what works for them. We would not have a pleasant trip if we just packed sandwiches. I love rides and could go all day long with barely eating, my husband however gets hangry very easily. The meal plan is what makes him sometimes enjoyable to be around on a trip as crazy as Disney. And I just like being in the bubble, so we save to do trips that way.

Andrew M

The main reason preventing us from heading down, even with the mandatory 14 day quarantine when we return to NY, is that they're still charging full price for tickets for nowhere near the same experience. I can't believe they expect someone to pay the same price for reduced park hours, no character meals or meet and greets, and no shows or fireworks.

We really wouldn't mind walking around with masks all day, but even with the dirt cheap flights, it just doesn't make sense to spend $110+ per day on a 'light' version of the parks.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I was just adding to the conversation, not disagreeing. People should do what works for them. We would not have a pleasant trip if we just packed sandwiches. I love rides and could go all day long with barely eating, my husband however gets hangry very easily. The meal plan is what makes him sometimes enjoyable to be around on a trip as crazy as Disney. And I just like being in the bubble, so we save to do trips that way.
I didn’t really have a problem with what you said...I’m just saying it’s often presented as something that’s a no brainer: get to Disney at all costs...no matter what.

There are limits to where sacrifice outweighs value...especially there.

The thing that I hate to see most is obvious money stress on a vacation...and you see it ALOT if you notice the signs.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The main reason preventing us from heading down, even with the mandatory 14 day quarantine when we return to NY, is that they're still charging full price for tickets for nowhere near the same experience. I can't believe they expect someone to pay the same price for reduced park hours, no character meals or meet and greets, and no shows or fireworks.

We really wouldn't mind walking around with masks all day, but even with the dirt cheap flights, it just doesn't make sense to spend $110+ per day on a 'light' version of the parks.
I think they have some version “cost per overhead” model going...which is why they are maintaining strict limits on everything at full price.

But we’re still in a recession and that blow is gonna hit home once the covid money and rules subside. The rubber is gonna meet the road.

The bobs probably are assuming that a “high end enclave” emerges...they are a bit nuts.

seabreezept813

I didn’t really have a problem with what you said...I’m just saying it’s often presented as something that’s a no brainer: get to Disney at all costs...no matter what.

There are limits to where sacrifice outweighs value...especially there.

The thing that I hate to see most is obvious money stress on a vacation...and you see it ALOT if you notice the signs.

Agreed. We only vacation when we can pay up front in cash before the trip and our vacation savings come second to our regular savings. We try not to carry any debt except our mortgage and sometimes a car payment.

Disstevefan1

...at a discount. Some people a bit...I think your cost maybe $0.85 a day 😳

Bobs don’t like that kind.

Exactly

So a resident annual platinum pass (no blackouts) YET, is about $2.70 (Per person) a day if you went 365 days 😀. Sadly I must still work to pay for the passes (3 for my family). On a good year we go maybe 15 times, and for folks who think we bring PB&J sandwiches to the park, we do not. Normally we spend $60 ish on food (If we stick with counter service) , then there are typically 3 or 4 pins, etc (gotta make use of the AP discount) 😀

A couple of F&W days, we load up the little cards with $80 each and burn through them quick these days, and we even go to Halloween and Christmas parties some years, not on the discounted nights because it was too mobbed on the discount days.

during Christmas we like to go to Germany’s Biergarten (all you haters can say yuck, But we like it) we watched the prices of that skyrocket and it’s even more during Christmas.

So while we do not spend the huge bucks of folks staying at a resort, it’s not zero either.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
So a resident annual platinum pass (no blackouts) YET, is about $2.70 (Per person) a day if you went 365 days 😀. Sadly I must still work to pay for the passes (3 for my family). On a good year we go maybe 15 times, and for folks who think we bring PB&J sandwiches to the park, we do not. Normally we spend $60 ish on food (If we stick with counter service) , then there are typically 3 or 4 pins, etc (gotta make use of the AP discount) 😀

A couple of F&W days, we load up the little cards with $80 each and burn through them quick these days, and we even go to Halloween and Christmas parties some years, not on the discounted nights because it was too mobbed on the discount days.

during Christmas we like to go to Germany’s Biergarten (all you haters can say yuck, But we like it) we watched the prices of that skyrocket and it’s even more during Christmas.

So while we do not spend the huge bucks of folks staying at a resort, it’s not zero either.
Of course there are APs that spent a lot of money...no doubt.

But Disney is data driven and their data is saying opening with more overhead to serve APs is not in their interest. Whether legal or financial motivations. I bet it’s both.

That’s a fact. It is what it is. If you don’t like that group...as a consumer we have to remove ourselves from it. Don’t feed the beast and ask why they don’t care about you? You won’t like the answer.

imsosarah

I fully and wholeheartedly agree. But I predict all that will be restored by late spring or early summer 2021. I can't see Disney going through another fiscal year or "busy season" like this. They know they have to restore everything you've mentioned to regain the attendance level required to meet profitability margins. This is not sustainable for Disney. Once the vaccine hits the market Disney will start shifting gear soon after

This sounds very similar to the people who chose to believe everything would be back to normal by May of this year.

We have not even hit the second wave in this country and are doing little to mitigate things to stop one. It may realistically be late spring or summer of 2022 before things are back to normal - and the economic hit that will happen as PPP's stop, unemployment payments reduce again (or run out of the 39 weeks) the forced employee retention through Oct 2020, and the foreclosure/eviction moratoriums are lifted will be more than what most people can wrap their head around.

Not to mention what will happen this winter when we have flu and covid hitting at once and people don't want to be bothered because they are tired or confused.

A vaccine for the general population is at least a full year away from distribution. Just to MAKE the quantity needed wont be possible in a few weeks after it has been approved. US will not get first priority over all the other countries so we will be in line with everyone - billions of vaccines will be needed likely every 6-12 months.

marcel54

If they would take the 3 day reservations off and let everyone in it would be a lot better. They also need to let Cast Members back in with out being blacked out. We are local and went for our 3 days and spent over $500. Locals and AP's do spend a lot. They can easily open the parks up. We were able to walk right on every ride and didn't even need dining reservations, BOG, Rose & Crown, Le Cellier, & Tiffins. So spending even $50 per day would help the parks and tips for the waiters. It would be better than nothing.

Lilofan

I think that's a great concept, but life can throw you a lot of curveballs along the way. I guess I've seen too many people die before the age of 50. Finding the right balance between saving and spending and enjoying life is key.
I stated before I wish there could be educational awareness starting in high school to teach kids the importance of saving investing and compounding interest ( But that would not fuel the economy the way businesses would like ) But it's a spend spend fuel the economy , being slaves to debt mindset for some.

JoeCamel

I stated before I wish there could be educational awareness starting in high school to teach kids the importance of saving investing and compounding interest. But it's a spend spend fuel the economy , being slaves to debt mindset for some.
Hi Mom and Dad, I need 1K for a new phone and $100 a mo plan so I can insta my friends.
In my day that was a car so I could go work

Disstevefan1

Of course there are APs that spent a lot of money...no doubt.

But Disney is data driven and their data is saying opening with more overhead to serve APs is not in their interest. Whether legal or financial motivations. I bet it’s both.

That’s a fact. It is what it is. If you don’t like that group...as a consumer we have to remove ourselves from it. Don’t feed the beast and ask why they don’t care about you? You won’t like the answer.

I never said they did not care about me. This thread was about attendance and all I was saying is Disney is not letting all who wants in to the parks, into the parks. The 80 percent reduction in attendance is by design and and caused by the CCP virus, not for lack of want or interest.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom