News Disney World and the NBA

"El Scorpion"

Come back, plane.
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
That doesn’t seem to be the case. In an interview with the media Jared Dudley of the Lakers confirmed that the players will be allowed to leave the bubble and return. I saw in a few places that they may require a retest if players leave and return. The players call the shots in this league. If they want to leave they will leave. It’s not a literal bubble the league is going for. They just want 1 site where the games can be held so the players aren’t traveling between cities and staying in different hotels.

I do think there will be much less incentive to leave at WDW then there would in Vegas which is probably why they are leaning that way. The one thing that could be problematic is if FL opens nightclubs by the time the season starts. With the breakneck speed they seem to want to go with reopening its likely that could be the case. Orlando is no Vegas or Miami or NYC when it comes to nightlife but there’s plenty of places the players could go.

I wonder how many private jets are going to be headed to South Beach during an off day? This could be a recruiting coup for Riley.

"C'mon Giannis.....take our plane. We'll show you around."

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Advertisement
All that says is that they are not going to literally lock them in. Obviously. Once they leave they are re-subject to testing and quarantine again. Its about making sure the virus doesn't enter that bubble, so letting people come and go increases that risk unnecessarily. Thats why the teams that are out of it are a much bigger risk, they don't really care if they lose the rest of the season, but if a team is say top 4 in either league they have to think they have a shot at the championship so they are going to make sure the bubble stays intact.
Like he says in the interview most of the guys in the league care and will take it seriously, but every team has a guy or two who won’t care. These are great athletes but they are not all the brightest bulbs out there. There’s at least one guy who insists the world is flat. I doubt a lot of guys will be interested in going through the trouble of being retested when they return for a day at Magic Kingdom, but a group of guys going to a club might be a little more tempting. I am still curious to see if they really require retesting too. These guys are not accustom to having to follow a lot of rules. They have been pampered since High School.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I wonder how many private jets are going to be headed to South Beach during an off day? This could be a recruiting coup for Riley.

"C'mon Giannis.....take our plane. We'll show you around."
If the clubs open in Miami that could be a problem. So far Miami isn’t close to ready for that, but it seems like slow and steady has been replaced with everything immediately so it could happen by the end of July when the NBA arrives.

CastAStone

Voice of Aladdin’s Magic Carpet
Premium Member
So will people with reservations for Coronado be moved or cancelled altogether?
Presumably based on what they told people in their emails, people with a reservation and tickets or an AP will be moved, and TBA on people only with rooms so far.

Dman245

Although "that site' is claiming Jambo House is where the NBA wil be quartered.
Not saying Jambo is in the plans for the NBA but it is interesting that Jambo is the ONLY DVC resort without any availability no matter the room size right now through at least August (Make that through at least January as I look through the Jambo house rooms).

jt04

Coronado really is the perfect choice. I figured it would be there or 4 Seasons. I had to laugh when one of the social media sites suggested All Stars or similar could be used.😆

Coronado has a great pool and facilities and new eateries. Will be popular for personnel bringing families.

Mainahman

Coronado really is the perfect choice. I figured it would be there or 4 Seasons. I had to laugh when one of the social media sites suggested All Stars or similar could be used.😆

Coronado has a great pool and facilities and new eateries. Will be popular for personnel bringing families.
I could see them still keeping the All Stars closed. We have a suite at all star music for the extra rooms, but if they could segregate people over to POP and AOA and have skyliner, and not send busses down there, there going to look to do that id imagine NBA or not.

monothingie

Not Monty
Premium Member

You do realize the whole point of this was to isolate them from the rest of the world and create a bubble. By its very design the players can only have minimal contact with the outside world. These players are going to be sequestered there until they are no longer playing . No family, No trips to the parks, No days off, No Fun.

jt04

I could see them still keeping the All Stars closed. We have a suite at all star music for the extra rooms, but if they could segregate people over to POP and AOA and have skyliner, and not send busses down there, there going to look to do that id imagine NBA or not.
Not sure I understand your point. Events will be held at WWoS facilities so Skyliner isn't an option. Likely charter busses and rental cars will be the primary modes of travel. Doubt they will use Disney's fleet of busses.

Doberge

Not saying Jambo is in the plans for the NBA but it is interesting that Jambo is the ONLY DVC resort without any availability no matter the room size right now through at least August (Make that through at least January as I look through the Jambo house rooms).
It's really strange looking at Jambo. Isn't MLS also staying at WDW? One rumor in Washington Post is that they were looking at "one of the largest WDW resorts." I'd imagine WDW would rather keep CBR for guests tonuse skyliner to ease busses, and securing AKL seems easier than Port Orleans (and CBR too).

It's all strange because it's not like Jambo was taken out of room inventory on hotel side. I booked a room there last week before reservations shut down, for August. Reservation is still there.

jt04

You do realize the whole point of this was to isolate them from the rest of the world and create a bubble. By its very design the players can only have minimal contact with the outside world. These players are going to be sequestered there until they are no longer playing . No family, No trips to the parks, No days off, No Fun.
I get all of this but would be surprised if families aren't included. Not sure I understand that logic since social distancing doesn't include immediate family. Maybe you are right. Not sure.

monothingie

Not Monty
Premium Member
I get all of this but would be surprised if families aren't included. Not sure I understand that logic since social distancing doesn't include immediate family. Maybe you are right. Not sure.
Yeah they'll give up their mansions to share a hotel room for 3 months.

jt04

Yeah they'll give up their mansions to share a hotel room for 3 months.
What?

I'm pretty sure the union is being consulted and is on board. I'm pretty sure every player would have their own room whether with a family of not.

I'm guessing the longest any team would be on-site is two months and that would only be the two teams in the finals.

Top Bottom