Disney Wonder

Maggie Mae

Original Poster
Hey everyone! I am getting super excited as our first DCL experience gets closer (just over two weeks!!!!) Any hoo - after reading every page of the FAQ and picture thread under this forum, I can't say thanks enough for all the tips shared.

But I do have a question - have any of you 'wonder'ful people been able to enjoy the Wonder? there are a lot of Fantasy and Magic cruisers with awesome info on those ships - I just am curious of the can't misses and get a picture there spots, we will be visiting Palo while on board and not getting off in Mexico (live close enough and have been to Cozumel before, can see wasting a quiet boat day on that place) so we will have time to kill!

TIA!!

Maggie Mae

Original Poster
We had such a blast on the Wonder!! I think it was a nice start to DCL since it is smaller than the other ships - well two of them I think are larger... We had an aft located navigators balcony room and it was perfection, far enough away from the elevator lobby but close enough it didn't feel like a million miles away, and there was very little foot traffic which was lovely! The shows were pretty good, we weren't fans of the Toy Story Musical, but the Golden Mickey's were outstanding and my hubby is still talking about it... Make sure when you pull into port, especially if you are going to Castaway Cay visit the 'hidden' deck on Deck 7 it was a great place to watch the backing up into the port. Beach Blanket Buffet was a great place for meals, Parrot Cay offers a breakfast buffet but they have servers that will take care of your drinks, which is nice, the best burgers were from Pluto's Dog House, and watch the ice cream flavors at Goofy's Galley as one of the soft serves changed from time to time... the room was a good size, the bathroom with the toilet is a little tight for this 'hippy' girl, and the pillows were a little soft for my taste, but that is the ONLY complaint I had! You will adore your wait staff, they were very hard to say good-bye too! If you are a pin trader, they have books at both stores and the guest services counter, and they have pin trading through out the cruise. I will post pictures - I didn't take anywhere near as many as I thought I would, I was to busy being in "Awe" of everything... ENJOY yourself - my DH and I kept saying how nice it was to do the "Disney" thing and not be running around like crazy people like we do when we go to the parks, relax relax relax... we had such an amazing time we are forgoing our December trip to the world to do a longer cruise on the Fantasy in February with a Star Wars Day at Sea!

twinfo3728

Thank you so much for the info!! It is nice to find someone who has been on the Wonder. I cannot wait. I do hope you post some pics, I would love to see them. We are looking forward to relaxing. Thank you for all the tips. If you think of anymore, please share :)
Which Deck did you stay on? We are booked for Deck 8.

WWWD

Thank you so much for the info!! It is nice to find someone who has been on the Wonder. I cannot wait. I do hope you post some pics, I would love to see them. We are looking forward to relaxing. Thank you for all the tips. If you think of anymore, please share :)

We were on Deck 8 this past March and it was awesome. You are one level below the pools and all the outdoors action. Very easy to go back to room. Also, even though the Wonder is smaller, it will never feel small. Took half the cruise to stop getting lost. And, a smaller boat means less people on Castaway Cay.

TheMouseFan

We were on the Wonder in October. Here is my trip report if you are interested in seeing the pics I took: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/our-wonder-ful-october-2014-cruise-and-magic-kingdom-day.891632/

ChuckElias

The Wonder is great. Our first Disney Cruise was a 4-nighter on the Wonder in 2001. We've since been on it two other times -- once to the "Mexican Rivera" and once to Alaska. The Wonder doesn't have the bells and whistles (Crush in Animator's Palate, or interactive artwork, AquaDuck, etc.) of the newer ships, but it's a wonderful ship for other reasons.

1) It doesn't take an hour and a half to walk from one end to the other;

2) There's a full length mirror in your stateroom, not just inside the bathroom door;

3) It has the shows "Dreams" and "Golden Mickeys", both OUTSTANDING shows. (Full disclosure, Golden Mickeys is my favorite of all the DCL shows and I may or may not still be mourning over the fact that they removed "Trashin' the Camp" from the original version of the show.) As others have said, the Wonder also has Toy Story -- the Musical. It's not my fave, either, but you should go just to see the sets and costumes;

4) The Cove Cafe;

5) It's the only ship that still has Diversions as one of its clubs. Best sports bar in the fleet;

6) You'll actually enjoy Palo more on the Wonder than you would on the newer ships. The decor includes hand-crafted porcelain masks from Italy, which are beautiful and come in an amazing variety. For some reason, there are no masks in the newer ships' versions of Palo.

I'm sure that there are other reasons, too. But that should be enough to help ease your mind about being happy on the Wonder. If you would like to see some additional pictures, you can check some that I took on our Alaska cruise. There's a lot of Alaska, but also a few of the Wonder. http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/some-pictures-from-our-alaska-trip.774612/

Maelstrom Troll

So excited to hear some positive reviews of the Wonder. We JUST yesterday booked our 7 night cruise to Alaska yesterday. At first, we were a bit hesitant after reading that the wonder needs the most refurbishment (oldest and least up to date). I am feeling a bit better after reading this :) It will be a long haul until next summer but we saved several thousand dollars and as it is often said, the waiting is the best part!

twinfo3728

The Wonder is great. Our first Disney Cruise was a 4-nighter on the Wonder in 2001. We've since been on it two other times -- once to the "Mexican Rivera" and once to Alaska. The Wonder doesn't have the bells and whistles (Crush in Animator's Palate, or interactive artwork, AquaDuck, etc.) of the newer ships, but it's a wonderful ship for other reasons.

1) It doesn't take an hour and a half to walk from one end to the other;

2) There's a full length mirror in your stateroom, not just inside the bathroom door;

3) It has the shows "Dreams" and "Golden Mickeys", both OUTSTANDING shows. (Full disclosure, Golden Mickeys is my favorite of all the DCL shows and I may or may not still be mourning over the fact that they removed "Trashin' the Camp" from the original version of the show.) As others have said, the Wonder also has Toy Story -- the Musical. It's not my fave, either, but you should go just to see the sets and costumes;

4) The Cove Cafe;

5) It's the only ship that still has Diversions as one of its clubs. Best sports bar in the fleet;

6) You'll actually enjoy Palo more on the Wonder than you would on the newer ships. The decor includes hand-crafted porcelain masks from Italy, which are beautiful and come in an amazing variety. For some reason, there are no masks in the newer ships' versions of Palo.

I'm sure that there are other reasons, too. But that should be enough to help ease your mind about being happy on the Wonder. If you would like to see some additional pictures, you can check some that I took on our Alaska cruise. There's a lot of Alaska, but also a few of the Wonder. http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/some-pictures-from-our-alaska-trip.774612/
Finally got to read your trip report! What a great adventure! My husband is very interested in taking an Alaskan cruise :) Thank you!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom