Disney Wonder guest medevac rescue by USCG

jme

Original Poster
FRaCJsgXMAErGtT

Photo credit: Sandy Canetti on Twitter

The passenger (71) who was suffering from internal bleeding is reportedly in stable condition according to an article in The Astorian

The Wonder should be completing its trip to Honolulu, HI today.

C&D

That’s a very expensive transport billed to the guest.
I'm sure there will be some medical charges (along the way) but the Coast Guard performs this service at not charge (for search and rescue).

p.s. And for those who follow "The Deadliest Catch", kudos to all in the Coast Guard for the perils they endure while doing rescues; this one obvious more of the more routine (though they all require skill and resolve), but certainly not on caliber with the Bering Sea rescues.

Lilofan

I'm sure there will be some medical charges (along the way) but the Coast Guard performs this service at not charge (for search and rescue).

p.s. And for those who follow "The Deadliest Catch", kudos to all in the Coast Guard for the perils they endure while doing rescues; this one obvious more of the more routine (though they all require skill and resolve), but certainly not on caliber with the Bering Sea rescues.
One guest that had to be medical vac on helicopter from cruise ship at sea to hospital several years ago was charged in excess of $125K.

jaklgreen

This is exactly the reason why I purchase trip insurance that will cover this type of stuff. Too many people focus on stupid stuff like getting their flight reimbursed when the real issue is emergency medical and medical transportation back to the US. This can easily bankrupt a person if they had to pay out of pocket for it.

FeelsSoGoodToBeBad

I don't doubt those charges.

My son was hit by a car while riding his bike in our subdivision on the way to the store to get bread for sandwiches. They called in Med-flight to take him to Children's Hospital in St. Louis, which is about a 35 minute drive from our home. The charges were in excess of $40k. Scary as it was, he did come out fine, thankfully.
One guest that had to be medical vac on helicopter from cruise ship at sea to hospital several years ago was charged in excess of $125K.

Lilofan

This is exactly the reason why I purchase trip insurance that will cover this type of stuff. Too many people focus on stupid stuff like getting their flight reimbursed when the real issue is emergency medical and medical transportation back to the US. This can easily bankrupt a person if they had to pay out of pocket for it.
I read airmedcarenetwork charges $85 per year per person for this type of insurance. No brainer than getting charge in excess of $125K if medivac from cruise ship at sea to hospital for the patient.

Last edited:

jaklgreen

I read airmedcarenetwork charges $85 per year per person for this type of insurance. No brainer than getting charge in excess of $125K if medivac from cruise ship at sea to hospital for the patient.
I always use Allianz. The price changes depending on what coverage and your age, but it was still around $100 and children are free with their paying parent. Well worth the peace of mind. I don't recommend anyone buy the insurance that Disney sells. It does not provide sufficient medical coverage or evac coverage and it is expensive. They only cover $30,000 for evac and $10,000 for medical. Crazy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom