Disney Wine and Dine Half Marathon

Rose&Crown

NYC just announced today the marathon will be 33,000 people. I will be one of them and couldn't be more excited. runDisney isn't remotely that size and could pull it off this fall if they wanted but the want is the key part. I think the CDC changes were a big move for them.
The IF is huge. I think when they factor in cost of the event and bringing the staff back it’s probably not worth it.

fingers crossed 2022 is announced soon.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
The IF is huge. I think when they factor in cost of the event and bringing the staff back it’s probably not worth it.

fingers crossed 2022 is announced soon.

Most are unpaid volunteers. If they limit bibs, I wonder if runners not able to register would volunteer.

Surferboy567

I am now at the point, where I am starting to think about planning my next big Disney Trip with friends. As for my last one, the trip report is my signature with more coming soon. I am pretty sure I want to plan it around a race weekend. The original plan was to do Star Wars and well…that probably won’t happen.

To preface, this is all in reference to 2022.

Right now, I am trying to decide between two race weekends in particular. Leaning toward one as well. The two that are in question is the mystery theme in April and Wine & Dine.

They both carry a unique set of pros and cons. Right now though, I am leaning toward Wine & Dine for a variety of reasons such as:

1.) It’s during the Christmas ”season” which means very merry (hopefully)

2.) Most of the construction should be finished by then (hopefully)

3.) It’s right around Epcot’s 35th sure it’s not the actual day or month but it’s right around there

A con I can think of is that the theme for Wine & Dine seems very hit or miss depending on the year

As for the mystery theme, a couple of pros:

1.) Being one of the first to be at a new weekend

2.) The possibility of being ”perfect”

3.) The theme could be better but like I said Wine & Dine could be rather hit and miss in terms of theming

A couple of other things if we go during a runDisney event we anticipate doing a challenge (whatever form that takes). I figured I would come on here and ask the runDisney aficionados what they thought. Since runDisney live events are one of the facets of Disney I don’t know much about in terms of the weekends. Generally, I know but the finer details is where I am not as strong.

This is of course assuming that races are back by the mystery theme or by Wine & Dine.

Last edited:

LAKid53

Premium Member
I am now at the point, where I am starting to think about planning my next big Disney Trip with friends. As for my last one, the trip report is my signature with more coming soon. I am pretty sure I want to plan it around a race weekend. The original plan was to do Star Wars and well…that probably won’t happen.

To preface, this is all in reference to 2022.

Right now, I am trying to decide between two race weekends in particular. Leaning toward one as well. The two that are in question is the mystery theme in April and Wine & Dine.

They both carry a unique set of pros and cons. Right now though, I am leaning toward Wine & Dine for a variety of reasons such as:

1.) It’s during the Christmas ”season” which means very merry (hopefully)

2.) Most of the construction should be finished by then (hopefully)

3.) It’s right around Epcot’s 35th sure it’s not the actual day or month but it’s right around there

A con I can think of is that the theme for Wine & Dine seems very hit or miss depending on the year

As for the mystery theme, a couple of pros:

1.) Being one of the first to be at a new weekend

2.) The possibility of being ”perfect”

3.) The theme could be better but like I said Wine & Dine could be rather hit and miss in terms of theming

A couple of other things if we go during a runDisney event we anticipate doing a challenge (whatever form that takes). I figured I would come on here and ask the runDisney aficionados what they thought. Since runDisney live events are one of the facets of Disney I don’t know much about in terms of the weekends. Generally, I know but the finer details is where I am not as strong.

This is of course assuming that races are back by the mystery theme or by Wine & Dine.

MVMCP typically starts the week AFTER W&D weekend. But Christmas decorations should be up. The benefit W&D has over other race weekends is the race after party in Epcot Sunday evening. Ticket is included with the registration fee for the Half, plus you get a $15 gift card to spend....at least that's what happened in the past. And since the race occurs during the last week or so of F&W, you'll get to take advantage of all the goodies and drinks. The party begins after Epcot closes, but you can get in early with your party ticket - so once less day of park tickets to purchase. Not all rides are running, but there's music and lots of fun stuff for runners to do. It's a really party atmosphere.

If you have to choose between those 2 weekends, go with W&D.

Last edited:

Surferboy567

As we get closer to the deadline for them to announce something. Just wanted to leave this past quote right here…

To put some dates out: I wanted to make this post.

Since Disney uses Galloway’s training plan (like I personally do) usually the give more then enough time to train in preparation for races.

19 weeks for Challenge training (Half & 10K)
29 weeks for Dopey

If Wine & Dine and Marathon weekend keep similar dates this is what we are looking for in terms of timeframe.

June 25th announcement for Wine & Dine (though it probably has to be sooner for registration and making plans)

June 17th announcement for Marathon Weekend (though it probably has to be sooner for registration and making plans)

These dates tell me a few things. At the earliest, expect a large scale announcement from them. This likely will include both the status of Wine & Dine and Marathon weekend given the proximity between the two dates. I would also expect they would have to release a calendar sometime soon, since now we don’t know anything beyond the virtual series. I would also expect to see some kind of announcement on what the new Star Wars retheme is going to be along with the calendar announcement.

Surferboy567

What are we normally looking like in terms of a timetable? With all the speculation/possible leaks are we expecting some kind of calendar announcement?

Seems likely that Wine & Dine (at least for this year) will be virtual though I would love to be wrong. They still could technically announce an in person Wine & Dine I think they probably would of done so already though.

Maybe it’s bundled with a race calendar for next year? Along with the news Marathon will (probably) be the first in person race back?

LAKid53

Premium Member
What are we normally looking like in terms of a timetable? With all the speculation/possible leaks are we expecting some kind of calendar announcement?

Seems likely that Wine & Dine (at least for this year) will be virtual though I would love to be wrong. They still could technically announce an in person Wine & Dine I think they probably would of done so already though.

Maybe it’s bundled with a race calendar for next year? Along with the news Marathon will (probably) be the first in person race back?

The race calendar typically started with the W&D Half and ended with the summer virtuals.

But who knows these days?

Surferboy567

To be clear, if Wine & Dine is infact virtual again I will probably participate in some capacity. Depending on the themes and medals.

Right now, I just want to see some kind of announcement. Really would like to pull the trigger on a live event. Leaning toward Wine and Dine 2022. I would like to see what the mystery theme ends up being in April. Of course, you need dates and the official go ahead to plan a trip.

uncle jimmy

Premium Member
To be clear, if Wine & Dine is infact virtual again I will probably participate in some capacity. Depending on the themes and medals.

Right now, I just want to see some kind of announcement. Really would like to pull the trigger on a live event. Leaning toward Wine and Dine 2022. I would like to see what the mystery theme ends up being in April. Of course, you need dates and the official go ahead to plan a trip.
A family WDW trip over Thanksgiving this year has ruled out W&D 2021 for me if its in person.

If they announce in person races, I'm leaning towards Princess 2022 WKnd... But what they announce for April (if they announce something) may change my plan and I'll go for that instead. Then it will either be W&D 2022 or Marathon 2023.

Surferboy567

A family WDW trip over Thanksgiving this year has ruled out W&D 2021 for me if its in person.

If they announce in person races, I'm leaning towards Princess 2022 WKnd... But what they announce for April (if they announce something) may change my plan and I'll go for that instead. Then it will either be W&D 2022 or Marathon 2023.
Yea for me, it’s probably going to be either the mystery theme or W&D 2022. A lot more will (hopefully) be open by W&D 2022 which makes me lean in that direction.

The mystery theme has the potential to make me consider but it all depends what is chosen. Right now, W&D is the favorite.

Last edited:

uncle jimmy

Premium Member
Wide World of Sports has given some more dates for events they have listed. None for runDisney.
But they do have a major Soccer Tournament Presidents Day Weekend at the complex. Which puts into question the Princess dates that were leaked.

They haven't put up the Special Olympics dates for 2021 yet, which I believe fell after W&D weekend.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom