Disney Wine and Dine Half Marathon

Rteetz

Boston having people is a good sign but as we all know as Disney fans they’ve taken a very slow cautious approach to this pandemic. My guess would still be a virtual event.
Sure but if Boston can have 20,000, Disney can certainly do 10,000. Disney has more control over their events too. Boston has to work with so many different aspects.

Figment82

Do you know if there are any congested areas, other than start and finish, for Boston? Doesn't a good part of the course go through Boston neighborhoods?

I'm thinking for rD, the issue, other than starting corrals/finish line, will be the walkway from DHS to Boardwalk - I would NOT be disappointed if that route was cut permanently, lol - and the lovely backstage run through the dumpsters into World Showcase and other spots in Epcot.
Sticking to a loop course like the WDW Half or Princess Half would also be a good idea, to eliminate the additional need for bussing people to the start.

And yes, I would fully celebrate the removal of the path from DHS to BoardWalk. Normally a lovely walk, but not during a race!

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I’ve already received my first dose - I’m anxiously waiting to get back to in-person events again!

I can’t see them requiring proof of vaccination. With it being an optional thing as it is, too many people will throw out reasons why they don’t want to receive it. Plus the little card you’re given is far too easy to fake. I think temp checks would be as far as they could go - maybe proof of a negative test like some states require. But that’s putting a lot of pressure on the volunteers.

I’m definitely all-in for W&D, but I realize this is an incredibly tough decision for rD. A “darned if you do, darned if you don’t” situation. For the first few events, I could see them doing a split event like other races are offering - a tandem virtual/live race - so you could still participate at home if you don’t feel comfortable traveling and running near others.

Definitely do temp checks, as you enter the staging area. But a tandem virtual/live race, as Boston is doing, sounds like a great idea. Limit live to participants from 2019 and everyone else can do the virtual. I remember getting an early bird registration invite a couple of weeks after both one year's Princess and Star Wars.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Sure but if Boston can have 20,000, Disney can certainly do 10,000. Disney has more control over their events too. Boston has to work with so many different aspects.

Boston's planning would be similar to the Anaheim races, as you have a course that runs through neighborhoods.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Kind of shocked by the hate for this part. Yes it can get crowded but this spot has some of the most crowd support in the entire race. This is where I typically meet up with my spectators for beer or jello shots lol.

If there was a way to get to the Boardwalk without that congested path along the waterway... 😄

Agree, love the Boardwalk - unless the wood is wet. And yes, definitely the best crowd support outside of the parks themselves.

Figment82

Kind of shocked by the hate for this part. Yes it can get crowded but this spot has some of the most crowd support in the entire race. This is where I typically meet up with my spectators for beer or jello shots lol.
Okay, not so much hate, but I’m so slow, that by the time I get there, it’s a real bottleneck with people who just want to walk (usually 2-3 across) and it hard to get around them. I love the point as you turn towards Jellyrolls and go around the BoardWalk. You’re right - the crowd there is a great motivator!

LAKid53

Premium Member
Sticking to a loop course like the WDW Half or Princess Half would also be a good idea, to eliminate the additional need for bussing people to the start.

And yes, I would fully celebrate the removal of the path from DHS to BoardWalk. Normally a lovely walk, but not during a race!

Refresh my memory...how did we get from DAK to Epcot?

LAKid53

Premium Member
I can't comment specifically as I have never done Boston. Wherever there are pinch points they may be looking at ways to change or expand those. I would assume they are also looking at changes to corralling/start.

As for runDisney if they change courses yes I would 100% expect more roadways which to me is not good. More roads means less time in parks which is the big reason we do these races.

Yeah, a 2021 W&D Half with a course like the Princess Half wouldn't be fun. But I'll take that if that's what is needed to get back on-property.

LAKid53

Premium Member
That seems unlikely, the virtual races alone probably bring in a decent profit.

But 2 years straight of virtual races will lose long-time rD fans. It's not just the medals, it's getting to run through the parks. When they are empty. At sunrise.

I've been doing virtual 5ks for the past 6 months. For under $40, I get a nice medal (like rD's), a shirt AND a bib. And that's the price, whether I would choose a 5k, 10k, half or Marathon. The Women's Virtual Half I register for was $60 - that includes a medal, shirt, bib and a REAL (not virtual) goodie bag with neat swag. And a pair of themed Pro Compression socks.

Rteetz

That seems unlikely, the virtual races alone probably bring in a decent profit.
I really don't think they do. runDisney can't survive solely doing virtuals. The in person events themselves are more or less loss leaders. They bring people into WDW to spend money at hotels, parks, and resorts. Race registration is not for profit. That money goes into the crazy costs it takes to put on the events.

Surferboy567

But 2 years straight of virtual races will lose long-time rD fans. It's not just the medals, it's getting to run through the parks. When they are empty. At sunrise.

I've been doing virtual 5ks for the past 6 months. For under $40, I get a nice medal (like rD's), a shirt AND a bib. And that's the price, whether I would choose a 5k, 10k, half or Marathon. The Women's Virtual Half I register for was $60 - that includes a medal, shirt, bib and a REAL (not virtual) goodie bag with neat swag. And a pair of themed Pro Compression socks.
I really don't think they do. runDisney can't survive solely doing virtuals. The in person events themselves are more or less loss leaders. They bring people into WDW to spend money at hotels, parks, and resorts. Race registration is not for profit. That money goes into the crazy costs it takes to put on the events.
I don’t think they could survive solely on virtual events. They obviously make money on the merch they sell at the live events. I don’t however, think they are going away anytime soon. The virtuals are probably at the very least good to bring in new runners into runDisney (like myself).

I agree though, the live events offer an experience that is far superior to a virtual. I cannot say for myself since I have yet to partake in one. I do plan on doing so though.

I am interested to see what their calendar looks like. I really am interested to see what that new race weekends theme entails.

EDIT: I just don’t know when they could restart live races, my gut says 2022. No one really knows though.

LAKid53

Premium Member

Bingo. While volunteers can still be utilized for WDW races, they needed to be provided something as thanks, whether it be tickets, jackets or other gifts. Just think what rD is paying both OCSO & FHP for traffic control. Then add shirts, medals, beverages (water/Powerade), jelly beans, coming towels, porta potties (they need MORE), etc. I wonder if they even break even for each race weekend. And yes, they are banking on the additional 25K to 30K runners and friends eating, drinking, shopping and staying at WDW for 4 to 5 days.

Rteetz

Bingo. While volunteers can still be utilized for WDW races, they needed to be provided something as thanks, whether it be tickets, jackets or other gifts. Just think what rD is paying both OCSO & FHP for traffic control. Then add shirts, medals, beverages (water/Powerade), jelly beans, coming towels, porta potties (they need MORE), etc. I wonder if they even break even for each race weekend. And yes, they are banking on the additional 25K to 30K runners and friends eating, drinking, shopping and staying at WDW for 4 to 5 days.
Not only that but runDisney is also paying Track Shack to run the event, they have to pay entertainment as well. Think of runDisney more as a contractor using Disney property.

Surferboy567

I agree, it’s costly to run an event. Disney doesn’t do anything without the goal is making money though. They have to be making some kind of profit somewhere in all this to warrant them doing the races in the first place.

It could be attendance, merch, food and beverage. Something has to be seeing a bump in order for them to see this as a worthwhile event. Judging by the amount of interest and people running these events, I’d say they are popular enough that they are making a profit somewhere.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom