Disney Wine and Dine Half Marathon

RunningKoen

And no jet lag to deal with or days off to schedule ... 😉

You're not helping ;-)

But no friends to meet up with.... ☚

But some new medals to share with the friends. Knowing we all did our miles and share the same medals once more.

With no Paris race and no other vacation options, what else to do with my money ;-) The incredibles virtual races helped a lot when I was low on running motivation.

Swissmiss

Premium Member
You're not helping ;-)

But some new medals to share with the friends. Knowing we all did our miles and share the same medals once more.

With no Paris race and no other vacation options, what else to do with my money ;-) The incredibles virtual races helped a lot when I was low on running motivation.

You should get a team together and come run RunMate - I wasn’t going to be able to do it this year because it was the same weekend as DLP, but since my spot wasn’t yet filled, I quickly rejoined the team. The organizers have confirmed that they can hold the event.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
You're not helping ;-)

🎶 We'll Meet Again 🎶

That's a song from WWII...a little before your time. 😁

LAKid53

Premium Member
We have until August 2nd to decide, correct? I would hope after that, runDisney would open up the cancelled spots on a first come, first serve. Get some money flowing in to pay for the medals manufactured, right?

Surferboy567

We have until August 2nd to decide, correct? I would hope after that, runDisney would open up the cancelled spots on a first come, first serve. Get some money flowing in to pay for the medals manufactured, right?

That would make too much sense. I had seen a statement somewhere on Twitter that said they wouldn’t open up spots.

Last edited:

LAKid53

Premium Member
Doesn’t that much sense but I think I saw something saying they wouldn’t do that. They should though.

That's nuts, then. You had so many slots. The number of shirts and medals manufactured were based on the number of slots purchased. People will cancel, freeing up slots. Why not "resell" them and mitigate some of the financial loss from moving to a virtual race? Clearly, runDisney has recognized the demand to do so. Or maybe not. 🙄

Guess a win-win for runDisney and the running community escapes them.

Surferboy567

That's nuts, then. You had so many slots. The number of shirts and medals manufactured were based on the number of slots purchased. People will cancel, freeing up slots. Why not "resell" them and mitigate some of the financial loss from moving to a virtual race? Clearly, runDisney has recognized the demand to do so. Or maybe not. 🙄

Guess a win-win for runDisney and the running community escapes them.

I can verify this now the statement said “With that in mind, we are transitioning the 2020 Disney Wine & Dine Half Marathon Weekend at Walt Disney World Resort to a virtual race. At this time it is only avaliable for guests originally registered for the 2020 Disney Wine & Dine Half Marathon Weekend. We will not be accepting any new registrations.We apologize for any disappointment this may cause”.

That is the statement I read on Twitter. Very dumb decision. The only thing I can see as a reason is the want to keep the medals, and associated merch exclusive to race “attendees” but even that doesn’t make much sense.

It does say though “At this time” but then goes on to say “we will not be accepting any new registrations”. So maybe? The refunded spots are technically not “new” are they?

Side note: I wasn’t really thinking when I wrote my initial response so I went back and fixed up the wording :)

Last edited:

LAKid53

Premium Member
I can verify this now the statement said “With that in mind, we are transitioning the 2020 Disney Wine & Dine Half Marathon Weekend at Walt Disney World Resort to a virtual race. At this time it is only avaliable for guests originally registered for the 2020 Disney Wine & Dine Half Marathon Weekend. We will not be accepting any new registrations.We apologize for any disappointment this may cause”.

That is the statement I read on Twitter. Very dumb decision. The only thing I can see as a reason is the want to keep the medals, and associated merch exclusive to race “attendees” but even that doesn’t make much sense.

Side note: I think it wasn’t really thinking when I wrote my initial response so I went back and fixed up the wording :)

Like I said, really stupid on runDisney's part. We all know the demand for the race exceeded the number of available bibs when registration opened back in March. Why not give those who didn't get a slot the chance to get one now? As a business major, their decision makes no sense. At this point in time, "exclusivity for attendees" is nonsense. runDisney is hemorrhaging money and anything to help stop that...and save some jobs...should be considered. I'd love to know the percent of those registered who decided to get a refund, rather than switch to a virtual race.

Surferboy567

Like I said, really stupid on runDisney's part. We all know the demand for the race exceeded the number of available bibs when registration opened back in March. Why not give those who didn't get a slot the chance to get one now? As a business major, their decision makes no sense. At this point in time, "exclusivity for attendees" is nonsense. runDisney is hemorrhaging money and anything to help stop that...and save some jobs...should be considered. I'd love to know the percent of those registered who decided to get a refund, rather than switch to a virtual race.

As a fellow business major, I share your bewilderment it really doesn’t make much sense. Also yes in your own words “exclusivity for attendees is nonsense”. It is, they should even open up additional virtual races to also help the demand that is clearly there. They must know that it sells out in 1 HOUR right? They would make so much money, clearly they charge way more then it takes to produce a medal? So they would surely not have a problem manufacturing said medals. They could really use the extra money, especially right now.

LAKid53

Premium Member
As a fellow business major, I share your bewilderment it really doesn’t make much sense. Also yes in your own words “exclusivity for attendees is nonsense”. It is, they should even open up additional virtual races to also help the demand that is clearly there. They must know that it sells out in 1 HOUR right? They would make so much money, clearly they charge way more then it takes to produce a medal? So they would surely not have a problem manufacturing said medals.

Considering the other expenses related to hosting an on-property race are now gone, runDisney is making a big profit off the virtual race fee. Makes no sense to this Finance degree holder.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom