Disney Wine and Dine Half Marathon

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Have fun at the party tonight y'all.

Remind me to sign up next year!! I want to return to my winedine roots.

So your reason for skipping this year is that you forgot to sign up?!

We will remind you, if nothing more than to see which pair of socks Don will be wearing... ;)

Off to dinner at Spice Roads and then the party. Can I drink a beer while I'm taking ibuprofen? Please say yes. Otherwise, I'll really be :(:(:(:(:(:(

surfsupdon

So your reason for skipping this year is that you forgot to sign up?!

We will remind you, if nothing more than to see which pair of socks Don will be wearing... ;)

Off to dinner at Spice Roads and then the party. Can I drink a beer while I'm taking ibuprofen? Please say yes. Otherwise, I'll really be :(:(:(:(:(:(

Haha no. I chose not to run because the race weekend is a shell of its former self.

But I learned that even a subpar weekend is better than nothing. I genuinely missed being a part of it.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Haha no. I chose not to run because the race weekend is a shell of its former self.

But I learned that even a subpar weekend is better than nothing. I genuinely missed being a part of it.

We're gonna hold you to that.

dreamfinder

Was it an evening race? That does sound fun. And my son in law would have loved to do it - Halloween is his favorite holiday and we always come down for the party.

Nope, it was a morning run. I seem to recall walking from the finish area by the TTC to the Poly to grab breakfast and then went to MK for the day.

To better answer your question, yes that is true. Ran into a runner in the elevator at the resort after the 10k yesterday who had on a pair of Disney New Balance. She said, yes, the relationship was ending this year. And the shoes were buy one, get one 50% off. And she bought several pairs to complete her collection.

Seems strange. NB is listed as a sponsor on all the 2018 events on the runDisney website. Admittedly, wouldn't be the first time that a Disney website was wrong. But NB also released shoes related to Cars and Beauty and the Beast this year, completely independent of the races. And I think they first released the shoes for the 20th Marathon, so them stopping now would mean it was only a 4 year deal. I'd have expected they have a 5 year deal, meaning one more year of shoes. If true though, runDisney would have lost a few big name sponsors recently with Clif and now New Balance.

And before you ask, "why is LAKid posting at 6:20 am, she should be running the Half....." that's another post.

Doh. Sorry to hear about that.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Congrats to all the finishers of the various races this weekend! I hope you're feeling better @LAKid53

Thanks, Jill. My knee is getting better. Took it slow around Epcot last night. Stopped for a beer at Rose & Crown - always lifts my spirits (pun intended ;) ) and walked on Soarin', Test Track, SSE. Boy, if you sit at the end of the row in Soarin', the distortion is really bad...And not just the Effiel Tower. SSE dome looked more oval than round. Waited about 35 minutes to ride Frozen. Don't really get all the excitement about this ride. 3 songs - and not even the complete song - some decent AAs and a boat ride And people were standing in line for hours to ride this?

But the party was great. Lots of good food, character M&Gs, alcohol, and music. Great vibe. People were having fun. CMs looked like they were too...caught a few dancing.

Mark P.

Seems strange. NB is listed as a sponsor on all the 2018 events on the runDisney website. Admittedly, wouldn't be the first time that a Disney website was wrong.

Confirmed by a NB associate at the expo this weekend as well, 2017 is the last year of the current partnership.

Texas84

Man, that NB news is bad for me. I was going to pick up a new pair this time but that 2-for-1 sale wiped out their inventory before I could get there.

Anyway, ran the 10K. It was too crowded to run my pace even from corral B. Numbers were up for both the 10K and half.

There were still signups for the half at the expo but I resisted. Wanted to get my friend to Pandora early for FoP. On the way to AK we saw the very end of the half leaving the park with the parade of buses right behind them. Mile 6 or 7 I think.

dreamfinder

Man, that NB news is bad for me. I was going to pick up a new pair this time but that 2-for-1 sale wiped out their inventory before I could get there.

Yeah, I'm bummed. They started doing their LE event shoes (NYC Marathon, Boston etc) in my "new" NB sneaker again, so I was hoping to get one I could run in Jan.

There were still signups for the half at the expo but I resisted. Wanted to get my friend to Pandora early for FoP. On the way to AK we saw the very end of the half leaving the park with the parade of buses right behind them. Mile 6 or 7 I think.

Wonder if this speaks more to the drop in demand since this particular event shifted to an AM run, or more just general decline in runDisney.

Anyone know of the final participation numbers? I'm mainly after the number of finishers for the 5K...

Usually all you get for the 5k is any numbers they announce at the event. Sometimes they make signs saying "10,000 5k runners, 15,000 10k runners, 22,000 half runners, 7,500 challenge runners, 45.8 total event miles, 23,000 beers poured at the after party" or something like that. But that's about it.

But the 5k was usually right around 10,000 runners.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Has anyone gotten the "Thanks for participating" email from runDisney - the one that allows you to register really early with that enormous $10 discount? If I remember, it was sent a couple of week after race weekend.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom