Disney Wine and Dine Half Marathon

yelena's aunt

Wow. It does not look like you get a whole bunch for your $79... A drink, meet and greets, 5 tastes from F&W, and that seems to be about it. Will rides be open?

Also not sure if anyone noticed but they are now advertising that they will have a long sleeve tech shirt, which if my memory serves me correctly is new for this event - its usually a short sleeve shirt.

Last year's shirt was a long sleeve dark green tech shirt - very nice, great color, not the usual Disney white or dish water grey.

AUPr8Hd

Question for all of you runDisney experts - estimation of when the wine and dine will sell out? 175$ is a little steep and I might need some extra time to save the money (heading to WDW in only 7 days is going to use all my "vacation" savings). I don't want to risk it and wait too long!!

Last year it didn't sell out until late July or so. I registered at the expo for Peachtree Road Race, which would've been July 3rd.

a2grafix

Yeah, Texas, this is Veterans Day weekend and I will be quite stoked running for the Air Force in the military division. On Monday I will be partaking in several Veterans Day events in Memphis.

AUPr8Hd

maroon short sleeve was the last year it was a 10k the next year it went 1/2 marathon maroon long sleeve. I have both around here somewhere.

2010 - Grey, short sleeve (hideous)
2011 - Maroon, short sleeve
2012 - Green, long sleeve

I can take pictures when I get home later this evening. 2011 wasn't too bad and 2012 was MUCH improved.

a2grafix

Another week, another percentage. Wine and Dine is now at 71 percent capacity, and it's caught up with the Tower 10 miler registration, which is at 72 percent.

Ariel484

It's 80% full...

...and I'm IN!!!! :D Woohoo!

Even more exciting for me is that I'm signed up to run the 5K with my husband! This will be his first- (possibly second-) ever race, and definitely his first at Disney. He's not a runner at all but he knows how much I love these races and I have wanted him to run one with me for years now...I am so happy he's going to try this for/with me! :)

Kristia

It's 80% full...

Even more exciting for me is that I'm signed up to run the 5K with my husband! This will be his first- (possibly second-) ever race, and definitely his first at Disney. He's not a runner at all but he knows how much I love these races and I have wanted him to run one with me for years now...I am so happy he's going to try this for/with me! :)
Awesome! Were you planning to do this one or was this a spur of the moment decision? Yay for Will!! Maybe he will love it so much he will want to do another and another and another..... You know how Disney just sucks you in to the whole running thing!

LindsayLoves

It's 80% full...

Hooray! I have had my eye on this one for a while, husband isn't interested but I might be able to convince my mom to join me. Since I don't have any real plans until marathon weekend 2015 I thought it would be nice to sneak this one in. Too bad I can't use the "good deal" excuse right now, room rates are in serious need of a promotion right now.

Ariel484

Awesome! Were you planning to do this one or was this a spur of the moment decision? Yay for Will!! Maybe he will love it so much he will want to do another and another and another..... You know how Disney just sucks you in to the whole running thing!
Sort of both. I've been asking (bugging) Will for awhile to try a race at Disney with me and told him to pick whichever one appealed to him the most. Originally I was hoping he'd go for the ToT 10-miler since it's our favorite ride, and he was on-board at first, but eventually he realized that he doesn't even know if he likes running yet and didn't want to commit to it without trying a shorter distance first. He picked the Expedition Everest 5K, so we were planning on doing that in 2014. He's the JV tennis coach at his school and I thought - hoped - that the season would end just in time for us to head to Disney for that weekend...I assume it'll be the first weekend in May (this year's is this Saturday). But this year with tennis there have been tons of last-minute changes with the schedule and a couple of days ago they decided to extend the season by 2 weeks, so eventually we realized that we really couldn't count on him being available that weekend. That race is so expensive - it would be $220 for both of us to do it! - and I really would feel uneasy paying the money if there's a chance that we'd be unable to go at the last minute. I mean, if we'd signed up for this year's race we wouldn't have known about the schedule issues in time to defer and would have just lost that money. So that one's probably never going to happen. :( We're both pretty bummed about it, but it doesn't seem smart to just sign up and see what happens. It's too much money.

So earlier this week I started to realize that the EE trip wouldn't happen and started watching the Wine & Dine registration percentages a little more closely (it was at 75%). Then I started thinking about how runDisney has been adding 10K races to all of the race weekends. W&D and Tink are the only ones that don't have them yet, but I'm guessing they both will soon, which will mean that the W&D 5K will (maybe) be on Friday instead of Saturday. A Saturday 5K is better for Will's work schedule, so this seems like the best time for him to try one. Our annual passes and Tables in Wonderland card are still good through January, and we have some flight credits...so the trip just sort of materialized at the beginning of this week.

It all came together really oddly compared to our other race trips, which I normally plan out at least a year in advance. Right now we still don't have a resort reservation (currently waiting to hear back on renting DVC points, not sure it's going to work out though :() and our ADR date is next Sunday. After doing morning race trips 3 years in a row there are so many things that are different about this one (night vs. morning race, running with Will instead of Princess C, etc.) that I feel like I haven't really realized that it's happening. I'm not sure when it'll hit me. :D

And oh man, I HOPE he loves the race. I have been pestering him for so long to try one and I know he's doing the race - and this trip - because it'll make me happy, so if he hates it I'm going to feel pretty awful. :p I seriously would LOVE to do the ToT 10-miler with him someday, but that's another one that I am not sure he'll be able to do due to tennis. Darn that tennis!

...that's probably way more than you wanted to know. HAHA!
Hooray! I have had my eye on this one for a while, husband isn't interested but I might be able to convince my mom to join me. Since I don't have any real plans until marathon weekend 2015 I thought it would be nice to sneak this one in. Too bad I can't use the "good deal" excuse right now, room rates are in serious need of a promotion right now.
Hooray indeed! :D Tell your husband about the Food & Wine Festival, maybe that'll hook him. :D Would your mom run with you or come purely as a spectator? I guess after this I really don't have any plans until marathon weekend 2015 either. You still have time to decide though...it just hit 80% full last night (I know because I was waiting to talk to Will about the trip and I kept refreshing the registration page and saw it just from 75% to 80%...I'm so lame) and the price increase isn't until mid-June, I think. I bet it'll fill up then.

AMEN on the room rates. If this DVC rental doesn't come through I'm gonna grab a room at a moderate (we are huge resort snobs). The Polynesian is a host resort for W&D, and that would be pretty sweet but I just CANNOT book a room there with no discount. Ditto for the other host deluxe resorts (Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Yacht & Beach)...though I'm sure the Epcot resorts have been booked up for months. They are releasing the discounts so late lately.

Kristia

Point rental didn't come through, so we'll be at French Quarter for the first time! :)
Stinks the rental didn't come through but it is always neat to try a new resort. Watch out for the creepy jesters though! I totally understand your problem with the Will's schedule. My sis has been wanting to do a Disney race but she is a teacher too and has a hard time taking off. She is planning to do the marathon for her 40th Bday but it is going to be tough going to Disney just to run and then leaving. Those EE 5k prices are crazy! I don't think I would pay that either if I wasn't totally sure we could make it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom