Disney Wine and Dine Half Marathon

surfsupdon

Thank You Steve!

To all who have run BOTH Wine & Dines (2010 and 2011):

How did this race/after party compare to last years?? I heard last years was pretty poor--I thought the 2011 race was great, well organized, and that the afterparty was not jam packed and lots of fun.

anc33

Thank You Steve!

To all who have run BOTH Wine & Dines (2010 and 2011):

How did this race/after party compare to last years?? I heard last years was pretty poor--I thought the 2011 race was great, well organized, and that the afterparty was not jam packed and lots of fun.

This year was significantly better. It only took me about 15 minutes to hobble from the finish line, through bag check and the beer line and into the party. I am slow (2:57 ish) but I still had almost a full two hours to stuff my face post race. Last year I had to stand in the bag check line for a good 30 minutes and only had time to hit two booths before everything started shutting down.

I will say that I did not feel as if there was as much on course entertainment this year. I also noticed that the Osborne lights were not quite as spectacular as last year. I still enjoyed it and will probably do it again. I just hope to be a little quicker next year!

surfsupdon

This year was significantly better. It only took me about 15 minutes to hobble from the finish line, through bag check and the beer line and into the party. I am slow (2:57 ish) but I still had almost a full two hours to stuff my face post race. Last year I had to stand in the bag check line for a good 30 minutes and only had time to hit two booths before everything started shutting down.

I will say that I did not feel as if there was as much on course entertainment this year. I also noticed that the Osborne lights were not quite as spectacular as last year. I still enjoyed it and will probably do it again. I just hope to be a little quicker next year!

I did finish relatively early on, and rode Soarin with only 6 other people. Test Track by myself. And the other rides were similar. Then I was able to meet up in World Showcase and had quite a few tastes!

The afterparty was far, FAR less crowded than a normal afternoon at Epcot. I did EVERYTHING I wanted to, which was a lot, and walked back to my room at Yacht Club by 130am.

Phonedave

Wine and Dine 2011 Half Marathon

The figures

1 bathroom break
6 stops to take pictures of mile markers and send them to people
2 stops to take pictures with characters

2:28:48 - Looking at the Garmin data, I spent a total of about 5 minutes not moving - I guess bathroom and pictures.

3674/8254 overall

1796/3041 men

Splits

1 10:49.9 1.00 10:50.0
2 10:24.8 1.00 10:25.0
3 10:20.1 1.00 10:20.2
4 11:08.4 1.00 11:08.5
5 10:19.7 1.00 10:19.8
6 11:51.4 1.00 11:51.6
7 10:56.3 1.00 10:56.4
8 11:24.9 1.00 11:25.0
9 10:59.7 1.00 10:59.9
10 10:48.7 1.00 10:48.8
11 12:41.0 1.00 12:41.2
12 13:26.5 1.00 13:26.6
13 10:29.1 1.00 10:29.3
14 1:01.9 0.10 10:01.5

Garmin link

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/118992940#.ToqCq1Kaqns

The review

Went back and forth 4 times at the expo to get all my stuff because volunteers kept telling me the wrong places to go to get bibs, shirts, and gift cards for party tickets.

I was in a non-supported resort, so took a bus over to EPCOT. I asked the first race volunteers if the shuttles were loading in the same spot as last year and got a blank stare. "Over there"? I asked, pointing to the general area "yeah, I guess so" was the answer. Great, that is a good feeling. These were race volunteers in race support shirts, not just CM's. I found the buses and as I am boarding I hear a race volunteer asking another "all these buses go to the race, right?" That's not good either.

Course was slightly different this year. That out and back is gone, which is great. Finish line is now nearer to the parking lot

Bag check was SO MUCH BETTER. Actually sorted by name - imagine that. They found my bag this year, and I only waited 2 minutes. As opposed to last year where I waited 30 minutes in line only to have them tell me they couldn't find my bag and to come back in an hour or so.

We got beers at the finish, Bud or Bud Light - bleah. You were supposed to hand in a drink claim stub from your bib to get one. They just handed me one, I could have taken another, but it was Bud or Bud Light. Who wants one, let alone two?

They had a meet area set up, with flags with the letter of your last name where you were supposed to meet people, just outside the entrance gates. Except they didn't tell anybody this - runners or spectators. Then when spectators tried to get near the finish line, the volunteers yelled at them for not waiting by the flags. Crazy

When you finally met up with people and tried to get back in, you had to separate again. Non runners went in one gate, runners in another. I had a wristband as a runner, why couldn't I go in the same gate as my girlfriend? She had to go in one gate, I had to go way down the other end, and then we had to arrange to meet up AGAIN.

Inside, the party was much better this year. Rides were open. No wait for Nemo or Soarin'. I didn't go to the countries as it was late and we were leaving the next day and we still had some wine to finish back at SSR, but my girlfriend said they were not to crowded when she was going around them. She thought it would have been nice if there was some F&W merchandise for sale, but that's not a big deal.

When we left, we went looking for a cab, but the whole bus and cab area was closed off (that was the finish area now). I asked a race volunteer where to go and she said the buses "to all resorts" were over by the Amaze lot. I said "All resorts, even SSR?" she said "yep, SSR has a bus" I explained to her that SSR was not a race resort. She looked confused and then said "well maybe there is not a bus for them then". I asked if the cabs were over there as well. "I guess so" was her answer.

The cabs WERE over there and we did catch a cab back to SSR to end a very long day.

Overall - The race was fun. As was mentioned there appeared to be less entertainment on the course than last year. The course was a better layout (at least to me). The wave start was an improvement. The finish and bag check was a HUGE improvement. The after party was much better. There still seems to be some communication issues with the volunteers either missing information or having wrong information.

The pre-start was much like last year. Same pre-race patter and DJ. Plenty of bathrooms, etc. Surprisingly there was only one wheelchair racer. She went off 2 minutes before Corral A, and I started in Corral B and caught her just outside the international gateway. I assume she was new to racing, because normally they fly. I wonder why there were not more entered.

Kind of bummed that the medal was almost the same as last year.

I would do it again, but I don't think I will. IF - and that's a big if - we could get down there next year for the race weekend it would be just Sat and Sun. This year it was fly in Fri and leave Sun. Between having to go to WWoS to get the packet, and then the race, it left very little time to really enjoy wine and dine. It was one very tiring weekend.

-dave

Phonedave

While it is fresh in my head - on course entertainment.

Some sort of band at around mile 1 or so - playing Black Eyed Peas - again. Really, someone needs to invent some new "pump up music". I like the Black Eyed Peas, just not over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

Lit up stilt walkers around mid way down Oceola Parkway.

A one man band on Oceola Parkway (guy with a guitar - not a guy with a drum in his back)

The snail ? from Spectromagic at the approach to Animal Kingdom

Pluto in Din-o-rama

As I said above, I HEARD the Green Army Man, but when I got to his area he was not there.

Carl from UP in DHS

Darth Vader in DHS

I think thats about it.

-dave

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
While it is fresh in my head - on course entertainment.

Some sort of band at around mile 1 or so - playing Black Eyed Peas - again. Really, someone needs to invent some new "pump up music". I like the Black Eyed Peas, just not over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

Lit up stilt walkers around mid way down Oceola Parkway.

A one man band on Oceola Parkway (guy with a guitar - not a guy with a drum in his back)

The snail ? from Spectromagic at the approach to Animal Kingdom

Pluto in Din-o-rama

As I said above, I HEARD the Green Army Man, but when I got to his area he was not there.

Carl from UP in DHS

Darth Vader in DHS

I think thats about it.

-dave
I have always hated the BEP's. I truly hate their music. If you took some poetry refrigerator magnets and thru them at the frig, whatever sticks, it the integrity of their lyrics and music.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Course was slightly different this year. That out and back is gone, which is great. Finish line is now nearer to the parking lot.
It looks liek they ran the exit out of the AK park was behind Dinosaur instead of in front of it and then the side of it between the entrance and Dinosaur. Looks like some of DHS is a bit different too.

malice

Were there characters at the SpectroMagic Sleeping Beauty Fairies' floats?

Yes, the three fairies were present. Other characters I saw:

Dance of the Hours Hippos and Ostriches
Terk (Animal Kingdom entrance)
SM Peacock float w/ bug ladies (turn towards MGM)
Pixar Parade float w/ cast under the Sorcerer's Hat at MGM
Mickey and Minnie were at the turn right before the finish line, which I thought was very weird.

Phonedave

Yes, the three fairies were present. Other characters I saw:

Dance of the Hours Hippos and Ostriches - yes, i forget about that. On Oseola on the way back
Terk (Animal Kingdom entrance) Missed him
SM Peacock float w/ bug ladies (turn towards MGM) Dont remember that
Pixar Parade float w/ cast under the Sorcerer's Hat at MGM No idea how I missed that
Mickey and Minnie were at the turn right before the finish line, which I thought was very weird.missed that too

-dave

Phonedave

I have always hated the BEP's. I truly hate their music. If you took some poetry refrigerator magnets and thru them at the frig, whatever sticks, it the integrity of their lyrics and music.

I don't claim they are great meaningfull song writers - far from it. I just find their music fun and energizing - the fist 20 times or so - after that it gets old. :D

-dave

Katherine

I also really enjoyed the race. I didn't do much in WS but enjoyed walking onto the rides and also got to talk to Crush! The show only had 6 people and we just passed around the mic, it was pretty cool.

The only negative was that I felt like we were winding around DHS forever, I enjoy running in the park but at that point in the race I was not thrilled with all the sharp turns. The Osborne Lights were really cool though!

Overall, had a blast, didn't get my best time but being that it was a new experience running a night race I was pleased. Now getting revved up to run my second Disney Marathon in January!

fmingo36

MR. FREDERICKSON!!!-Super Cool! I need to get my picture with him! Last year it was Russell & Dug.
Seems like a lot less characters out then last year.
Did they still have the guys cooking throughout the race course?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom