Disney Will Lose the Rights to Mickey Mouse in 2024, One Company Is Swooping In

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
Original Poster
https:///2021/08/disney-lose-rights-mickey-mouse-ad1/

When you think of Disney, there are a few iconic images that may come to mind. Perhaps a castle, maybe a favorite princess, but one thing that is universally known as Disney is Mickey Mouse.

From the days of Steamboat Willie, Walt’s debut of his little pay, Mickey Mouse, has been the mascot of Disney. Now it seems that Disney is at risk of losing the rights to the character! According to The Hollywood Reporter, “The copyright for Walt Disney’s 1928 cartoon Steamboat Willie — which introduced the world to Mickey Mouse — is set to expire and enter the public domain in three years.” The rights would include the Mickey Mouse that we saw in the film, which is different from other iterations of the character as time progressed.

The Hollywood Reporter went on to explain how Disney avoid this happening earlier. Disney successfully lobbied Congress to lengthen the number of years that copyrights can be held in 1988. The law ended up being called the Copyright Term Extension Act but has also received the name “the Mickey Mouse Protection Act.” However, in three years, the rights to Mickey Mouse will end, and Mickey will be up for grabs.

It seems “Disney’s legal team might succeed in keeping Walt Disney’s famous character and Mouse House mascot from becoming rights-free,” just as others have done with Dracula or Sherlock Holmes. If not, however, another company is already ready to “eat [Disney] alive.”

The Hollywood Reporter announced:

MSCHF has launched the “X Famous Mouse.” The company’s ad copy doesn’t call the token “Mickey Mouse” or use its exact imagery – for now – but it’s a placeholder for the iconic character and comes with a unique ticking clock. The idea is you pay for the nondescript mouse-like token today (cost: $100 for one of the 1,000 copies available) and then you receive a physical collectible token for the character that’s redeemable in 2024 – when Disney’s copyright on Mickey Mouse is set to expire. At that time, you’ll receive the real deal.

MSCHF CEO Gabe Whaley is clearly not a fan of Disney as he stated, “Disney is a massive all-swallowing conglomerate, with a desire for both industry dominance and cultural hegemony. It is ever-growing, all-encompassing, risk-averse, and society-blandening. We must leap at the chance to take back even the scant morsels available to us. At the slightest chance, we must eat them alive.” If Disney does gain the rights to Mickey Mouse, his tokens would likely be void.

The idea of creating the coin while Disney still owns the rights may not have been the best move on Whaley’s part. A copyright attorney James Sammataro discussed the situation, and it seems that Disney could have legal grounds to sue MSCHF.

“It’s difficult to foresee a scenario where [art] of a not-yet-in-the-public-domain work would not give rise to a prospective claim. Disney can credibly argue that the inchoate license devalues the current value of its licensing rights by diverting up would-be licensees.”

It should be noted that even if Disney were to lose the trademark to the original Mickey Mouse, Disney would still own copyrights for later incarnations of the character and Mickey-related trademarks.

Sharon&Susan

They could always rebrand it to be the Mad Doctor (a public domain short) version of Mickey Mouse if all else fails.

A counter cultural philosophy with a hype beast business strategy is just an oxymoron in my eyes.

lazyboy97o

Trademark and copyright are not the same thing. Copyrights expire but trademarks do not. Disney has established their characters as trademarks which will make Steamboat Willie entering the public domain interesting. That one cartoon will be in the public domain but not necessarily the character of Mickey Mouse, and not the many subsequent works.

mharrington

Trademark and copyright are not the same thing. Copyrights expire but trademarks do not. Disney has established their characters as trademarks which will make Steamboat Willie entering the public domain interesting. That one cartoon will be in the public domain but not necessarily the character of Mickey Mouse, and not the many subsequent works.
Will they have to pull "Steamboat Willie" from Disney Plus as a result? It's literally one of only two black-and-white Mickey cartoons on the streaming service, the other being "Ye Olden Days" from 1933.

Sharon&Susan

Will they have to pull "Steamboat Willie" from Disney Plus as a result? It's literally one of only two black-and-white Mickey cartoons on the streaming service, the other being "Ye Olden Days" from 1933.
No, they legally won't have to. The point of public domain is that anyone can use it now and that includes the company that originally made it. For instance HBO Max contains plenty of public domain Looney Tunes (some of which got new restorations in the last year or so).

I mean if they want to be incredibly petty on it becoming public domain, I guess they could take it off...

Robbiem

Maybe this is why Disney has been pushing the ren and stimpy style new Mickey over more traditional Mickey. Gives them a version with no rights issues for a long time.

As the original shorts drop out of copyright over the next fews years more IP will become public domain unless the law is changed again, there could be an interesting decade or so ahead of us 😀

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Maybe this is why Disney has been pushing the ren and stimpy style new Mickey over more traditional Mickey. Gives them a version with no rights issues for a long time.

As the original shorts drop out of copyright over the next fews years more IP will become public domain unless the law is changed again, there could be an interesting decade or so ahead of us 😀
I too at one time thought the new Mickey shorts were to give them more ammunition for trying to keep some version of Mickey out of the public domain. But remember as was pointed out Disney still holds the trademark to Mickey. So its unlikely that when the old shorts hit the public domain that much of anything will change regarding the use of Mickey outside of Disney's approval.

The larger question will be the use of the others from the Fab 5, as I don't think they are trademarked (though I could be wrong on that). So Minnie, Donald (and Daisy), Goofy, and Pluto might be fair game come their time moving into the public domain.

lazyboy97o

I too at one time thought the new Mickey shorts were to give them more ammunition for trying to keep some version of Mickey out of the public domain. But remember as was pointed out Disney still holds the trademark to Mickey. So its unlikely that when the old shorts hit the public domain that much of anything will change regarding the use of Mickey outside of Disney's approval.

The larger question will be the use of the others from the Fab 5, as I don't think they are trademarked (though I could be wrong on that). So Minnie, Donald (and Daisy), Goofy, and Pluto might be fair game come their time moving into the public domain.
If you just search “Disney” trademarks on the US Patent and Trademark Office website you get over 6,000 results and it’s for everything.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
If you just search “Disney” trademarks on the US Patent and Trademark Office website you get over 6,000 results and it’s for everything.
Yes, but if you search for the specific trademarks for specific characters such as any other character within the Fab 5 that isn't Mickey you get no results. That is my point, I don't think they have actual trademarks for any other character other than Mickey himself.

lazyboy97o

Yes, but if you search for the specific trademarks for specific characters such as any other character within the Fab 5 that isn't Mickey you get no results. That is my point, I don't think they have actual trademarks for any other character other than Mickey himself.
You’ll see characters like Donald Duck and even Oswald in the results for “Disney”.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
You’ll see characters like Donald Duck and even Oswald in the results for “Disney”.
Yes there are references, but no actual trademarks that I can find. If you've found an actual trademark for one of the characters other than Mickey in the Fab 5 please provide an example.

brb1006

Hey The Wonderful World of Mickey Mouse has gotten better with the new batch of episodes.

Sharon&Susan

You know hypothetically there could be a better Mickey Mouse Bluray set for his 100th than anything Disney has done using just the first four years of his career just in terms of quantity.

Last edited:

champdisney

Steamboat Willie entering public domain territory... my dreams of starting a Long John Silver's-esque style restaurant themed to Steamboat Willie is in reach!!

It will undoubtedly be successful. Steamboat Willie's will morph into a franchise with thousands of locations worldwide, including a location at Disney Springs.

I've had it with Disney trying us. It's time to return the favor.

Kirby86

The Mickey Mouse from Steamboat Willie is in the public domain modern Mickey is still owned still owned by Disney.

lazyboy97o

Steamboat Willie entering public domain territory... my dreams of starting a Long John Silver's-esque style restaurant themed to Steamboat Willie is in reach!!

It will undoubtedly be successful. Steamboat Willie's will morph into a franchise with thousands of locations worldwide, including a location at Disney Springs.

I've had it with Disney trying us. It's time to return the favor.
This is where trademarks come into play.
The Mickey Mouse from Steamboat Willie is in the public domain modern Mickey is still owned still owned by Disney.
Steamboat Willie is not yet in the public domain.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom