News Disney will be ending complimentary MagicBand distribution to Disney Resort hotel guests and moving to smart devices

Lilofan

Word is this is due to supply chain volatility, not due to Disney wanting to move away from Magic Bands... although that may be a necessity short term.
Does the U.S. Mail provide Disney free postage to mail the magic bands all around the world to the guests prior to them arriving at WDW? I doubt it. Disney is saving $$ by doing away with magicbands.

Sir_Cliff

The best I can figure is that this means a big shift back toward KTTW cards.

There have been multiple suggestions that everyone has draws full of magic bands at home anyway, but they really don't. My suspicion is that international guests in particular are also going to be reticent about being so reliant on having a working, charged phone throughout their WDW stay. So at least for that demographic, they're just going to have to go back to cards.

Wouldn't everyone ask for a KTTW as a backup anyway?

Indy_UK

I'd rather not keep hitting my phone against the Mickey every time I want to use a FP. And I know Apple watch or iPhone users don't want to tap that glass against anything. LOL Will this be like that? Holding your smart device to the Mickey ball?

Do we think MME will support Apple Watch going forward. Im not totally against the idea

Jon81uk

Does the U.S. Mail provide Disney free postage to mail the magic bands all around the world to the guests prior to them arriving at WDW? I doubt it. Disney is saving $$ by doing away with magicbands.

they only mailed bands within the US, International guests picked them up at check in.

biggy H

Why are people going on and in about magicbands going away? They are not! People have been happy paying to upgrade the basic ones or just declining them when staying on site and the number of off site guests who buy them is considerable.
It's not a big issue that some people seems to make it out it is. Companies have always given things away for free when starting something up and then switch to a payment system once it has become widely accepted, no difference here in reality, just the timing.

Jon81uk

Why are people going on and in about magicbands going away? They are not! People have been happy paying to upgrade the basic ones or just declining them when staying on site and the number of off site guests who buy them is considerable.
It's not a big issue that some people seems to make it out it is. Companies have always given things away for free when starting something up and then switch to a payment system once it has become widely accepted, no difference here in reality, just the timing.

Are they reducing the room price to make up for the removal of a free benefit?

CaptainAmerica

They say it's because they want people to use their smartphones.
That is NOT what Disney said.

What they want has nothing to do with it. Guests ARE carrying their smartphones everywhere whether Disney likes it or not. The guest behavior they envisioned of people going to the parks or the pool with nothing but their band never came to fruition.

donsullivan

Premium Member
No but it is potentially yet another reason not to stay on site.
We’ve done five trips to WDW in the last 20 years and always stayed on site. It is definitely starting to feel like there is little benefit now when rooms are significantly cheaper elsewhere.
The rooms have always been significantly cheaper elsewhere.

bryanfze55

Are there any benefits left to staying onsite?

-Dining plan is a rip-off anyway.
-No Magic Bands.
-Extra Magic Hours are usually just one hour long and you end up being stuck in the most crowded park (or forced to park hop).

60 day Fastpass is still great, but you can stay at a Disney Springs Resort for that. I’m just having trouble figuring out why there’s so little additional benefit for those guests paying $500+ per night at Deluxe resorts.

aaronml

Their payment terminals already have the full infrastructure for RFID payments. I’ve used my AppleWatch and ApplePay (which uses rfid) for virtually every purchase transaction for 4+ years. If Apple exposes access to the RFID chip in this form, they could enable it for room charge as well on these same payment terminals.
That is a big “if”. The main reason why Apple locks down NFC/RFID functionality as much as they do is due to their desire to avoid competition with Apple Pay (or anything close to it).

Mobile Keys have been a thing in the hospitality industry for years — Apple hasn’t allowed the use of NFC for this in the past and I wouldn’t expect them to do so any time soon.

aaronml

The best I can figure is that this means a big shift back toward KTTW cards.

There have been multiple suggestions that everyone has draws full of magic bands at home anyway, but they really don't. My suspicion is that international guests in particular are also going to be reticent about being so reliant on having a working, charged phone throughout their WDW stay. So at least for that demographic, they're just going to have to go back to cards.

Wouldn't everyone ask for a KTTW as a backup anyway?
Disney has been pushing DTR (Direct to Room), where people go directly to their room and enter for the first time using either the app or a MagicBand, for a while, and will continue to do so.

TDO’s plan is to push folks to use DTR (so fewer people need to stop at the front desk to check in / need to be staffed there), but instead of people using free MagicBands, they’d only use their phones.

Undoubtedly this will result in fewer people using DTR and/or more people stopping at the front desk to get KTTW cards.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom