News Disney Villains After Hours coming to the Magic Kingdom

Nubs70

When you add an attraction, you attract more people to your park, not less. Especially a new one.

Take for example, TRON. At any point during the day, there may be 500 people in its queue on on the ride. Then that is only 500 people less milling around the park and in the restaurants on other attractions. With nearly 30 attractions and 20 'other' venues (restaurants and stores), then TRON would mean there is only 10 people less at all the other venues. Unless... the building of TRON brings in more than 500 people per day, and then the building of TRON would make the park more crowded, not less.

Redesigning rides to increase capacity is a huge endeavor and usually requires using up more space (like with TSM and Soarin).

If anything, selling the park twice in one day would cut crowds. A morning ticket of 6a - 4p; and an evening ticket of 2p - Midnight would give each group 10 hours and nearly cut crowding in half.
The twice a day park concept would also allow the opportunity to increase overall turnstyle.clicks. If the park could sell out twice.a.day, the theoretical capacity would be 4x of design.

DisneyDelirious

Super structures are my specialty!
Premium Member
The Villains Unite storyline was lackluster at best. The DJ didn’t do much for the wife and myself but I would be the first to admit that mid-40’s folks probably weren’t his target audience. My event t-shirt shrunk from dad sized to like a youth medium. Event shirts usually don’t shrink on me like that. The dragon was cool and the treats were tasty. The wait times and crowds were great. Much better than MVMCP or MNSSHP. Teens and myself would definitely say go again, wife would probably pass. Daughter and her buddies enjoyed the DJ as well. As long as it’s cheaper than MNSSHP I won’t complain about not having meet and greets. From a business standpoint it would dilute their overpriced products to offer more or the same for less $.

Dad 2 M & M

The Villains Unite storyline was lackluster at best. The DJ didn’t do much for the wife and myself but I would be the first to admit that mid-40’s folks probably weren’t his target audience. My event t-shirt shrunk from dad sized to like a youth medium. Event shirts usually don’t shrink on me like that. The dragon was cool and the treats were tasty. The wait times and crowds were great. Much better than MVMCP or MNSSHP. Teens and myself would definitely say go again, wife would probably pass. Daughter and her buddies enjoyed the DJ as well. As long as it’s cheaper than MNSSHP I won’t complain about not having meet and greets. From a business standpoint it would dilute their overpriced products to offer more or the same for less $.
When did you attend? We attended one of these and the crowd was similar to a Moderate MNSSHP, certainly not as slow as the non-themed After Hours.

We are thinking of giving it another try on one of the Wednesday dates in March.....those two nights are replacing what would be the EMEs.....

TTA94

I think WDW did some shopping at Disneyland lol Ursula looks like she’s from the Frightfully Fun Parade and Flatsam and Jetsam from Parade of Dreams.

monothingie

Proxy War 2024: Never Forget
Premium Member
Was at tonight’s 2020 premiere. The castle show was the same but had beefed up pyros. The cavalcade was nice and surprisingly well done full of characters and entertainers. Not in anyway near the boo to you parade but nice. The lines were low to nonexistent, but then again the weather was frigid for central Florida. Upper 40’s. My friend who is a local was an icicle.

Hcalvert

We went in July 2019 and plan to go again in late March. We also bought tickets for the non-themed one during that same week. I guess I will see if there is a difference in crowds or not. I definitely saw a difference between the two when I went in January(non-themed)---hardly no lines or people---versus the July 2019 villains one, which had some substantial queues of 30 minutes or more for the entire three hours.

Benjamin_Nicholas

Was there last night as well. Park was pretty empty... Good for us, but based on some faces of management watching closely, they weren't happy with the turnout. Lots of frowns.

The castle show had some nice pyro. Looked a lot better than last year.

The 'parade' was small and felt undercooked. Either do it right or cut it altogether.

The kiss goodnight worked against Disney. Face friends of mine said it was to help get people out of the park and move forward through the exits. Instead, people stood still and watched the Villains attempt to provide continual improv commentary. It felt a little forced.

It also didn't help that each face character's mic wasn't eq'ed properly. Some couldn't be heard at all (Cruella).

DisneyDelirious

Super structures are my specialty!
Premium Member
When did you attend? We attended one of these and the crowd was similar to a Moderate MNSSHP, certainly not as slow as the non-themed After Hours.

We are thinking of giving it another try on one of the Wednesday dates in March.....those two nights are replacing what would be the EMEs.....
June 29, 2019

LittleBuford

Good it’s embarrassing the price they are charging for this. $40 an hour is way too high.

The price gets you into the park at 7, giving ticket-holders six hours in total. And if the park really is largely empty for three of those hours, I think it’s a pretty good deal overall.

Benjamin_Nicholas

The price gets you into the park at 7, giving ticket-holders six hours in total. And if the park really is largely empty for three of those hours, I think it’s a pretty good deal overall.

Agreed. The night I went, the park was, at most, at an 8k guest population. Sparse. Worth every penny to be able to walk on, especially considering what time with Disney plaids can cost for daytime touring.

My main concern was the 'Villains' theme. It fell flat to me. While it was nice to see the park's lighting scheme at the darkest it's ever been, it would have been nice to see more specific theming done and fleshing out the parade.

LittleBuford

Agreed. The night I went, the park was, at most, at an 8k guest population. Sparse. Worth every penny to be able to walk on, especially considering what time with Disney plaids can cost for daytime touring.

My main concern was the 'Villains' theme. It fell flat to me. While it was nice to see the park's lighting scheme at the darkest it's ever been, it would have been nice to see more specific theming done and fleshing out the parade.

I'm glad you feel it paid off for you! I'll be experiencing the event later this month for the first time, and the draw for me is definitely the lower crowd levels rather than the theme, which, based on my research and reports like yours, seems like a poor man's version of the Halloween party. I do wish they'd put more effort into it, but I'm willing to look past the lacklustre entertainment and make the most of having the park (sort of) to myself.

Benjamin_Nicholas

I'm glad you feel it paid off for you! I'll be experiencing the event later this month for the first time, and the draw for me is definitely the lower crowd levels rather than the theme, which, based on my research and reports like yours, seems like a poor man's version of the Halloween party. I do wish they'd put more effort into it, but I'm willing to look past the lacklustre entertainment and make the most of having the park (sort of) to myself.

While you could say that MNSSHP is for the kiddies, the Villains event was much more adult.

Would love to see Dis continue these 'more adult' events. BRING ME A TRON INSPIRED DANCE PARTY!

Touchdown

Let’s be honest, most people going to those parties already have day tickets. If you are coming without a day ticket then maybe it works but you have to factor either travel costs ($25 to park) or you turned down day 5 or 6 of a multi day FP which is <$20 a person to purchase $120 ticket.

Disney Rides are long by design, and the park is big. You are most likely going to average 4 rides per hour, 5 max. It just seems like such a waste when a holiday party ticket is only $30 more and gets you a special parade, fireworks, shows, meet and greets and food. Yes the park is more crowded but I’ve never had a problem doing a lot on those nights.

LittleBuford

Let’s be honest, most people going to those parties already have day tickets. If you are coming without a day ticket then maybe it works but you have to factor either travel costs ($25 to park) or you turned down day 5 or 6 of a multi day FP which is <$20 a person to purchase $120 ticket.

Disney Rides are long by design, and the park is big. You are most likely going to average 4 rides per hour, 5 max. It just seems like such a waste when a holiday party ticket is only $30 more and gets you a special parade, fireworks, shows, meet and greets and food. Yes the park is more crowded but I’ve never had a problem doing a lot on those nights.

Surely it’s up to the individual to decide whether it’s a good value. As much as I love the holiday parties, if you want to experience all the special entertainment they offer, you won’t be left with much time for attractions. The Villains event seems a better investment from that perspective. But I totally understand why it’s not for everyone. We all have different ways of experiencing Disney, and we don’t all have to agree.

Parker in NYC

I haven't read through the thread but who else is thrilled that the Queen of Hearts is FINALLY a face character again (or for the very first time)? That masked version is creepier than Pennywise. This is a marked improvement and I am sold now on attending.

Dear Disney, see how easy it is to take my money? ;)

Benjamin_Nicholas

I haven't read through the thread but who else is thrilled that the Queen of Hearts is FINALLY a face character again (or for the very first time)? That masked version is creepier than Pennywise. This is a marked improvement and I am sold now on attending.

Dear Disney, see how easy it is to take my money? ;)

If only they'd use an actor who handled the character well.

On Friday, whoever they had in the role was AWKWARD.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom