News Disney Villains After Hours coming to the Magic Kingdom

eliza61nyc

It’s marketed with their enchanting extras along with all their other upcharge packages. Does it need to have a flashing light and siren blaring 1% only to satisfy you? Disney pay attention to @flynnibus!

but they don't market it as some thing "exclusive". anyone who wishes to purchase it can. exactly who are the "normal" guest??

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
but they don't market it as some thing "exclusive". anyone who wishes to purchase it can. exactly who are the "normal" guest??

There’s no secret handshake you need to know to give your money to the mouse.

The normal guests are the families that either save for years or max out their credit cards at a ridiculous interest rate so that they can experience WDW. Only to find out if you really want to huff as much pixie dust as Tinker-bell at a Club 33 lounge you have to pay up, wayyy up.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
It’s marketed with their enchanting extras along with all their other upcharge packages. Does it need to have a flashing light and siren blaring 1% only to satisfy you? Disney pay attention to @flynnibus!

So because it's an upcharge, it 'aimed at vips' and 'intended to keep 'normal'guests away'? You're full of it.

Upcharge does not mean 'exclusionary' or aimed at upper echelons. It can simply be aimed at a different style of customer, or customers willing to have something DIFFERENT from their normal pattern.

Disney hasn't positioned this in any way as exclusionary or isolating.. except in their pricing of the event. And that pricing isn't being marketed as anything but a 'limited opportunity'... the menu for the event is aimed right at the center of the typical Disney fanatic...

This isn't the cabanas... or pitching isolation or 'special' access in anyway.

You're just lashing out over pricing and trying to come up with stuff to make it sound worse.

Your logic nor position do not hold up at all.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
So because it's an upcharge, it 'aimed at vips' and 'intended to keep 'normal'guests away'? You're full of it.

Upcharge does not mean 'exclusionary' or aimed at upper echelons. It can simply be aimed at a different style of customer, or customers willing to have something DIFFERENT from their normal pattern.

Disney hasn't positioned this in any way as exclusionary or isolating.. except in their pricing of the event. And that pricing isn't being marketed as anything but a 'limited opportunity'... the menu for the event is aimed right at the center of the typical Disney fanatic...

This isn't the cabanas... or pitching isolation or 'special' access in anyway.

You're just lashing out over pricing and trying to come up with stuff to make it sound worse.

Your logic nor position do not hold up at all.

You’re (as always) talking out of both sides of your mouth and parsing words. The enchanting extras collection include all the VIP tours and excursions. Every event is either exclusive or limited opportunity (seems like the same thing to me), and everything has a different price point per experience. Perhaps your perspective on what you consider ordinary does not necessarily match others. (Not that anyone could tell with your condescending full of it mentality).

Just for you to consider a family of 5 would be an extra $750 with tax. Not exclusionary in anyway for a typical family. On top of hotel, tickets, food, airfare, etc.

You’re just very good at demonstrating how you are out of touch.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
You’re (as always) talking out of both sides of your mouth and parsing words. The enchanting extras collection include all the VIP tours and excursions. Every event is either exclusive or limited opportunity (seems like the same thing to me), and everything has a different price point per experience. Perhaps your perspective on what you consider ordinary does not necessarily match others. (Not that anyone could tell with your condescending full of it mentality).

Just for you to consider a family of 5 would be an extra $750 with tax. Not exclusionary in anyway for a typical family. On top of hotel, tickets, food, airfare, etc.

You’re just very good at demonstrating how you are out of touch.

I never said it was cheap.. nor affordable.

You're simply saying 'expensive == aimed at vip and to exclude others'. That's incredibly flawed.

Tours are not priced to exclude anyone.. they are priced as optional, low volume activities.

Boat rentals are not priced to be VIP... but they are still expensive compared to other activities available on property.

The Villians Party as a add-on to someone already at the parks is an expensive option... but NOTHING about the menu is tailored to anything besides a traditional fanatic. It's expensive.. that doesn't make it anything but expensive. Just charging VIP money doesn't mean it's a VIP like experience... nor is Disney doing either here.

And you see it as expensive as you put on this 'one view' only model where it's something someone is paying in addition to an existing trip.

In my example, I don't have any tickets for this week... my options were to pay for an after-hours convention ticket.. or pay $125 for a single park, single day ticket this week. or.. I could pay $140 and have a limited capacity event that pretty much assures low wait times for a shorter period. For me, it's worth the extra $80 or so to make my one day count... AND get to checkout one of these events.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Well.. $740.

For a family of 5 with two children under the age of 10, single day tickets for MK would be $655 ($666 for all adults).

So, if they did the AH instead the full day tickets, the upcharge would be only $95.

There are pros and cons of either choice. AH is more expensive, not all rides are open, small kids may not be able to hack the late hours. OTOH, you get to ride all the E-Tickets you want many times over, some free snacks, a show, going to MK in the cool of the night, no crowds, and you can still get in early enough to see HEA.

All other costs are essentially equal except MK day-tickets can be cheaper with buying multiple days.

It's also a great alternative if that's your arrival day and can only hit the park later in the day.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
You're simply saying 'expensive == aimed at vip and to exclude others'. That's incredibly flawed.

The very definition of price discrimination. Price the item to attract the demographic of who you want buying it and prevent those who you don’t want coming (low margin guests) to be excluded. Most of the AH events are not sell outs, so even with excess limited capacity at these events still keeping people away.

Tours are not priced to exclude anyone.. they are priced as optional, low volume activities.

Wrong. These events are available to anyone, but some are certainly not priced for everyone.
Sounds a lot like the AH events doesn’t it....
In my example, I don't have any tickets for this week... my options were to pay for an after-hours convention ticket.. or pay $125 for a single park, single day ticket this week. or.. I could pay $140 and have a limited capacity event that pretty much assures low wait times for a shorter period. For me, it's worth the extra $80 or so to make my one day count... AND get to checkout one of these events.

I really see the disconnect here as you not being able to appreciate how genuinely out of reach these events are for normal guests. For a single person to visit by themselves or even with a spouse or friend can be doable and seem like a good value, add a family (for @MisterPenguin) I’m going to assume the young ones don’t do 1AM well and are 10 and up, and it quickly spirals up. Let’s be honest too, most participants aren’t just buying the AH ticket I lieu of a normal ticket, so your example, while possible is not common.

If you really wanted the best value for your dollar you should take the Ultimate Day of Thrills tour. The hourly rate per person is a couple dollars lower and you get three parks and lunch.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The very definition of price discrimination. Price the item to attract the demographic of who you want buying it and prevent those who you don’t want coming (low margin guests) to be excluded

It doesn't 'prevent' anyone... it's simply a choice of how they chose to spend. By your logic, WDW itself is aiming to keep 'normal guests' away because it offers higher priced options for things and is more expensive then alternatives.

Wrong. These events are available to anyone, but some are certainly not priced for everyone.

For things like the VIP tours.. which are priced to multiples above their alternatives.. then yes. But Keys to the Kingdom is not a 'VIP' thing priced to keep normal people out simply because it's expensive.

I really see the disconnect here as you not being able to appreciate how genuinely out of reach these events are for normal guests. For a single person to visit by themselves or even with a spouse or friend can be doable and seem like a good value, add a family (for @MisterPenguin) I’m going to assume the young ones don’t do 1AM well and are 10 and up, and it quickly spirals up. Let’s be honest too, most participants aren’t just buying the AH ticket I lieu of a normal ticket, so your example, while possible is not common.

Well you know what they say about people that assume.. When I take my family, the kids actually liked being out later than earlier. We would do the 1 and 2am closings all the time. And the youngest was 6 on that last trip they all went together.

Would I do this for my whole family? Probably not. Especially if I were there for a full week. That doesn't mean the event is aiming to 'exclude' us... it means it's an offer that doesn't fit my needs. It's a CHOICE, not an exclusion. And its still just the MK... no one is giving us any special treatment to keep away the riff-raff of 'normal' people.. *rolleyes*

You've yet to cite a single thing in the offer that is exclusionary or even that the target demo is different except for price. It's the same Disney menu dude...

eliza61nyc

There’s no secret handshake you need to know to give your money to the mouse.

The normal guests are the families that either save for years or max out their credit cards at a ridiculous interest rate so that they can experience WDW. Only to find out if you really want to huff as much pixie dust as Tinker-bell at a Club 33 lounge you have to pay up, wayyy up.

Look I get it, for some reason there is this perception that for some reason everyone has to give their kids a Disney vacation with all the bells and whistles, that everyone's kids deserves a dessert party. how about people take personal responsibility and say no?

People here want to go back to the "old" epcot, I want to go back to the time when people told their kids no. You do not have to buy the add on's to enjoy Disney. millions upon millions of people manage to do it every year. I know quite a number of folks who go to Disney, they stay at values because they don't feel the deluxes are worth the price. Does that mean Deluxes are aim at the 1%

Sorry that ain't Disney's fault that folks play "lets keep up with the joneses" and can't say no. There is no way in heck you need to join club whatever to have a great Disney vacation.

Sorry I totally disagree with you, that's the mantra folks are hawking to get mad at the mouse for their prices.

It's ridiculously easy to plan a great Disney vacation, budget for it and keep cost in line. Now don't misunderstand Disney never was and never will be "cheap" so I agree with you that it is a significant investment.

Disney is absolutely not catering to any 1%, that's hogwash (at least to me) I dare say if you polled most of the folks at these event they will tell you that they made choices. Do xyz, can't do ABC.

And with all the information everywhere about the cost and how to keep cost low, no one has to be surprised or shocked.

Last edited:

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
It doesn't 'prevent' anyone... it's simply a choice of how they chose to spend. By your logic, WDW itself is aiming to keep 'normal guests' away because it offers higher priced options for things and is more expensive then alternatives.
Hmm Disney has increased prices to control crowds. Disney has increased prices to boost margins. Disney has increased prices and created extra offerings (such as tours and exclusive events) to cater to the higher margin guest. Disney themselves have made it abundantly clear that they would prefer to price out the less profitable guest.

For things like the VIP tours.. which are priced to multiples above their alternatives.. then yes. But Keys to the Kingdom is not a 'VIP' thing priced to keep normal people out simply because it's expensive.
Reread my statement again. You're getting bogged down on the whole VIP Terminology and missing the point of these "Enchanting Extras" as Disney likes to call them.

Well you know what they say about people that assume.. When I take my family, the kids actually liked being out later than earlier. We would do the 1 and 2am closings all the time. And the youngest was 6 on that last trip they all went together.

Would I do this for my whole family? Probably not. Especially if I were there for a full week. That doesn't mean the event is aiming to 'exclude' us... it means it's an offer that doesn't fit my needs. It's a CHOICE, not an exclusion. And its still just the MK... no one is giving us any special treatment to keep away the riff-raff of 'normal' people.. *rolleyes*

You've yet to cite a single thing in the offer that is exclusionary or even that the target demo is different except for price. It's the same Disney menu dude...

Amazing you have a 6 year old that doesn't expire before 10PM. Others do not, and you know what they say about people that assume...

You're consistently engaging in double speak and you can't have it both ways. So what is it? Is it Option 1: A "value" as you stated in your first post, which you would definitely consider doing, which is designed to allow for guests to experience the best of the park in 3 hours? Option 2: Something that you probably wouldn't' do because it doesn't fit your needs? (But definitely not meant to exclude anyone because the additional expense would be prohibitive....of course the very reason why these events exist being to limit the "riff-raff so" that people who can afford to plunk down a couple of hundred bucks for a family can enjoy the park).

Here is the exact wording Disney uses to describe these events. Seems like a an exclusive event with special access and events to me.

"This summer, Magic Kingdom park presents Disney Villains After Hours, a separately ticketed, special nighttime event showcasing some of Disney’s best-loved baddies! Disney Villains After Hours lets a limited number of Guests experience the park for an additional 3 hours after it closes, with low wait times at more than 20 classic attractions—including Haunted Mansion, Jungle Cruise, Pirates of the Caribbean, Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, Space Mountain and more. Plus, event tickets provide access to themed cuisine, photo ops, merchandise, entertainment and park entry as early as 7:00 PM.
So whether you’re already devilishly divine or just dipping a toe into the dark side, indulge your inner villain at this sinister soiree. But hurry, ticket availability is limited—choose from 10 nights of incredible mischief you’ll never forget!"

I look forward to your next circuitous and snarky response.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Disney is absolutely not catering to any 1%, that's hogwash (at least to me) I dare say if you polled most of the folks at these event they will tell you that they made choices. Do xyz, can't do ABC.

Disney has made it abundantly clear in their financial statements that they are focusing on the higher margin guests. Perhaps you may have noticed the in spike up-charge events and selling the park twice per day (as @xdan0920 likes to say)recently??

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Sorry that ain't Disney's fault that folks play "lets keep up with the joneses" and can't say no. There is no way in heck you need to join club whatever to have a great Disney vacation.

Sorry I totally disagree with you, that's the mantra folks are hawking to get mad at the mouse for their prices.

It used to be that Disney valued the guest experience for everyone. That park ticket ensured the same quality experience for anyone and everyone that walked through the gate. Then Disney discovered they could make more money by creating multiple tiers or classes of guest experience. If you pay some more, you get a better experience, but at the same time they made the standard experience progressively worse.

I will certainly bet you're going to change your tone about this if/when the paid FP+ system goes into effect later this year....

Jon81uk

That's the biggest problem for me, and I liked the show based on this site's YouTube video.

The whole event is MNSSHP-ite, but at a higher price point (up to $60 more, depending upon the night this year). Yes you get free treats and beverages and short waits, but lines for rides have never been an issue for me at the Halloween parties. The Halloween party is also 2 hours longer.

For what they're offering, I don't think $139+ tax is worth it.

The focus of the After Hours events is meant to be the short lines, unlike the MNSSHP and MVMCP where it is the entertainment and the meet & greats that are the main focus. The price is significantly higher as the number of people in the park is significantly lower.
It wasn't meant to be a huge Villains party event, just the After Hours event with a few extra touches and a stage show.

eliza61nyc

Disney has made it abundantly clear in their financial statements that they are focusing on the higher margin guests. Perhaps you may have noticed the in spike up-charge events and selling the park twice per day (as @xdan0920 likes to say)recently??

So my last trip was in September of 2018. family trip to celebrate a bunch of college graduations, so I can't say I've notice anything about the park times in 2019. I'm not going back until August of 2020 so I admit to probably not paying attention.

But again I'm with @flynnibus upcharges do not mean it's for a certain economic group.

lol, by your definition of price discrimination every small business on the planet engages. I grew up in my family restaurant. NO we do not want the guest who's going to take up a table for 4 hours, drink water and order 1 appetizer to split 4 ways. My friend owns a bar near the wells fargo center, yeah when the flyers play, the price of the drinks goes up. I do get mad at up because he puts his "bustiest" bartenders on when it's a sporting event. says guys buy way more drinks when looking at a pretty girl? go figure. anyhoo apologies for the O/T

anyway I guess we'll have to disagree. I would absolutely jump on your bandwagon if guest did not have any other choices but they do. A family of four can absolutely go and enjoy Disney with a very limited budget. Your argument is simply a matter of "wants". everyone feels that they should be able to do every thing they want and buy every thing their little precious claps their eyes on and they want to be able to do it within their budget.

eliza61nyc

It used to be that Disney valued the guest experience for everyone. That park ticket ensured the same quality experience for anyone and everyone that walked through the gate. Then Disney discovered they could make more money by creating multiple tiers or classes of guest experience. If you pay some more, you get a better experience, but at the same time they made the standard experience progressively worse.

I will certainly bet you're going to change your tone about this if/when the paid FP+ system goes into effect later this year....

Absolutely not because once again as a consumer I have always been in control. If you read any of my post I've had the same belief, Disney "owes" me nothing. I fully expect that at some point in the future I will feel that what I get is not worth the price I pay.

When that happens, I will simply sell my dvc points and move on. It really is that easy.

What's the paid fp+ system. I have not read about that.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Absolutely not because once again as a consumer I have always been in control. If you read any of my post I've had the same belief, Disney "owes" me nothing. I fully expect that at some point in the future I will feel that what I get is not worth the price I pay.

When that happens, I will simply sell my dvc points and move on. It really is that easy.

What's the paid fp+ system. I have not read about that.

Oh I agree with you that The customer is in control. That’s why guest retention efforts have become a big deal at WDW. Perhaps there was some strategic overreach.

Oversimplifying it, with Paid FP the inventory of free FP to high demand attractions is significantly reduced and essentially you would have to pay for a FP to these high demand attractions.

There a whole thread on it “Maxpass coming to WDW”

Last edited:

eliza61nyc

Oh I agree with you that The customer is in control. That’s why guest retention efforts have become a big deal at WDW. Perhaps there was some strategic overreach.

Oversimplifying it, with Paid FP essentially you would have to pay for a FP to high demand attractions.

There a whole thread on it “Maxpass coming to WDW”
thanks, off to search.

Which could turn out to be a good thing. When the numbers start to fall, when margins begin to dive you'll see "discounts" ramp up. Personally I think they have a bigger problem with crowds then prices. I think more people are going to say "the crowds are ridiculous" then "the prices are insane".

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
thanks, off to search.

Which could turn out to be a good thing. When the numbers start to fall, when margins begin to dive you'll see "discounts" ramp up. Personally I think they have a bigger problem with crowds then prices. I think more people are going to say "the crowds are ridiculous" then "the prices are insane".

Hence the reason for the price increases to thin the herds while maintaining or growing the quarterly numbers.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Hmm Disney has increased prices to control crowds. Disney has increased prices to boost margins. Disney has increased prices and created extra offerings (such as tours and exclusive events) to cater to the higher margin guest. Disney themselves have made it abundantly clear that they would prefer to price out the less profitable guest.

Reread my statement again. You're getting bogged down on the whole VIP Terminology and missing the point of these "Enchanting Extras" as Disney likes to call them.

Amazing you have a 6 year old that doesn't expire before 10PM. Others do not, and you know what they say about people that assume...

You're consistently engaging in double speak and you can't have it both ways. So what is it? Is it Option 1: A "value" as you stated in your first post, which you would definitely consider doing, which is designed to allow for guests to experience the best of the park in 3 hours? Option 2: Something that you probably wouldn't' do because it doesn't fit your needs? (But definitely not meant to exclude anyone because the additional expense would be prohibitive....of course the very reason why these events exist being to limit the "riff-raff so" that people who can afford to plunk down a couple of hundred bucks for a family can enjoy the park).

Here is the exact wording Disney uses to describe these events. Seems like a an exclusive event with special access and events to me.

"This summer, Magic Kingdom park presents Disney Villains After Hours, a separately ticketed, special nighttime event showcasing some of Disney’s best-loved baddies! Disney Villains After Hours lets a limited number of Guests experience the park for an additional 3 hours after it closes, with low wait times at more than 20 classic attractions—including Haunted Mansion, Jungle Cruise, Pirates of the Caribbean, Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, Space Mountain and more. Plus, event tickets provide access to themed cuisine, photo ops, merchandise, entertainment and park entry as early as 7:00 PM.
So whether you’re already devilishly divine or just dipping a toe into the dark side, indulge your inner villain at this sinister soiree. But hurry, ticket availability is limited—choose from 10 nights of incredible mischief you’ll never forget!"

I look forward to your next circuitous and snarky response.

You accuse me of double speak but then outline options I didn't even say? Hogwash.

Listen... I'm as much against Disney's trend of nickel and dining and "pay for play" as anyone... my posting history is here for all to look at and quote. But you are taking that crusade and just misapplying labels to justify an argument.

This is disney monetizing and taking away from the normal park. But it is not some exclusionary or focusing on VIP or the rich event. It's disney charging for a limited access event at prices that are a small increment over standard pricing. It's an upsell... not running off the "normal" guests.

It's my preference that it not exist at all. But that doesn't mean I have carte Blanche to make stuff up to damn it

I'm doing it this trip mainly to judge it for myself. A small investment to be better informed

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
Regardless of if you like the entertainment from a writing/design perspective, I think the WDW entertainment performers deserve a lot of credit for always delivering. There are some really talented people in WDW Live entertainment!

agree 100%. Live E is what makes Disney stand out. The stage show was cringe-y at best unfortunatly and that's not due to the performers, but the writers of the show.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom