News Disney Villains After Hours coming to the Magic Kingdom

sndral

But remember: the 50% greedy Eisner was awful...while the 99% greedy Iger is “great”...

Why? He buys IP and the stock is in a bubble boom....

Beyond that...meh
Except the stock isn’t really, it has under performed the market for the last couple of years. Although the flurry of PR and a couple of analyst upgrades based on the D+ news has recently nudged the stock price up.
But per the Q1 numbers revenues company wide were down YOY by 5 billion & EPS down YOY. Dividends aren’t impressive.
Domestic parks saw a 5% increase in revenue YOY w/ flat attendance. Per capita spending rose 7% YOY. Those were the numbers the CFO gave during the conference call, which made Iger’s later remarks about the “substantial increase in the popularity of our parks” confusing to me - if attendance was flat how does that show increasing popularity?
In any event he also said “so, we’re leveraging the popularity to obviously increase pricing and spread demand...” which I suppose shutting the parks down early to sell upcharge events like villains is an example of.

Last edited:

Hcalvert

I will readily admit that I am attending the July 11th DAH event. It is expensive, but this is the first extra" pay-to-play" activity that we have decided to try. We did not choose it because of the villains-theme, but rather the enticement of lower wait times on the rides.

I am a public school teacher and my husband is a school bus driver and we are solidly middle class. We have been visiting WDW practically every year since we got married (2007). Some of my work colleagues think I am nuts because I go yearly, but I rationalize it like this: we deal with a lot of drama and stress during the school year and find Disney to be relaxing and enjoyable. We looked into DVC, but I really cannot understand how it is economically feasible for us. We stay at moderates and deluxes (renting others' points). I buy discounted Disney gift cards to save on our trips or I pick up tutoring or summer supplements to help with the cost and/or my husband picks up extra routes/trips. We choose to do that to not dip into our savings. When we no longer feel this way or we feel priced out, we will stop visiting yearly or maybe not visit at all.

Some of you are right that it is pricing out some middle class families. My brother is going with us for the first time with his wife and four kids. He can only afford to go because of the cost-cutting measures I was able to help him out with (taking one of his kids on our reservation so that they did not have to rent a suite and using the Target redcard to get at least a 5% discount on his trip, etc.). I even made them goody bags with Disney Parks glow wands, autograph books, and other trinkets to lessen the amount they need to spend in the parks. This is a once-in-a-lifetime trip for them and my husband and I want to make it as special as can be for my nieces and nephews.

Last edited:

Walt d

I will readily admit that I am attending the July 11th DAH event. It is expensive, but this is the first extra" pay-to-play" activity that we have decided to try. We did not choose it because of the villains-theme, but rather the enticement of lower wait times on the rides.

I am a public school teacher and my husband is a school bus driver and we are solidly middle class. We have been visiting WDW practically every year since we got married (2007). Some of my work colleagues think I am nuts because I go yearly, but I rationalize it like this: we deal with a lot of drama and stress during the school year and find Disney to be relaxing and enjoyable. We looked into DVC, but I really cannot understand how it is economically feasible. We stay at moderates and deluxes (renting others' points). I buy discounted Disney gift cards to save on our trips or I pick up tutoring or summer supplements to help with the cost and/or my husband picks up extra routes/trips. We choose to do that to not dip into our savings. When we now longer feel this way or we feel priced out, we will stop visiting yearly or maybe not visit at all.

Some of you are right that it is pricing out some middle class families. My brother is going with us for the first time with his wife and four kids. He can only afford to go because of the cost-cutting measures I was able to help him out with (taking one of his kids on our reservation so that they did not have to rent a suite and using the Target redcard to get at least a 5% discount on his trip, etc.). I even made them goody bags with Disney Parks glow wands, autograph books, and other trinkets to lessen the amount they need to spend in the parks. This is a once-in-a-lifetime trip for them and my husband and I want to make it as special as can be for my nieces and nephews.
Doing what you love is not strange or crazy as long as it’s not illegal. Trust me after 26 mk visits, you cant get enough Disney .and every thing is changed and new so that makes it more exciting . I get that tingling feeling going through the train building at MK every time .disney is our place make it yours. Plus its nice to know were all the bathrooms are without a guidebook . Have a mickey day!

dreamfinder912

I'm so on the fence about this. I went to both of the Villains events at DHS years back (the free one, and the ticketed one the year after) and actually had a very good time at both. Though I suppose I'm not a "regular" traveler. I lived in new york state and flew in for the friday the 13th event but I did live here by the villains unleashed and I'm not responsible for smaller life forms (no kids). I'm excited they're doing ANYTHING to do with villains again after so SO many people were so violently angry about the two previous events..but..this doesn't really seem like an event. The art looks cool. Concept and story..a little iffy. But...really a stage show and a DJ party? If it's just paid EMH just...ditch the theme. Or play into the theme and make it something party-like. This middle option is really awkward.

smile

'Villains Unite the Night' is the new stage show coming to Disney Villains After Hours at the Magic Kingdom this summer

giphy.gif

matt9112

Was this in 1945?

my first visit i was nine and it was 1998 and we bought the bands on main street the day of. the fact is value is no longer a thing they dont need it people keep coming in droves.

adjusted for inflation 12 dollars in 2000 would be 18 dollars or so now but hey lets be real here disney is a business remember that one liner? so lets say there really greedy and want double that or triple that 36 and 54 dollars respectably. hell 6x would stl be less than they are advertising here. imho all of the parties are no longer "add ons" there full price items that should be compared to daily admissions when you plan your vacation.

MickeyMouse10

At least they are theming the extra hours things now.

But they may decide to cheap out on the extras in the future. Eventually you may have to give the characters money for pictures. Snow White and Grumpy except Mastercard and Visa. And if you don't pay they say "Get outta here cheapskates. You think it is cheap feeding 7 dwarves and a whole forest of woodland creatures."

MrPromey

lol, aaah the evil wall street. just teasing. sighs....... I guess I just don't understand the mentality that WDW "owes" everyone a vacation they can afford. just brought up differently I guess. pretty much is simple for me. XYZ is the price, I either decide it's worth the price or not. If it is out of my price then I don't go or I figure out a way to make it affordable. easy peasy.

I originally had a lot to say on this but deleted it all except for the following which I think sums up my overall feelings:

I pay way more money in relative dollars so my son can get farted on by a skunk in Journey Into Your Imagination than my parents paid for me to experience Journey Into Imagination.*

Now apply that same thought to a lot of other aspects of WDW.

As a place that I enjoyed for many years as both a part of my childhood and as an adult, that feels messed up and depressing to me.

*If you've experienced both, you understand exactly what my point is, here. If you haven't, you probably never experienced the "old" WDW which is likely why a lot of this doesn't make sense to you.

Last edited:

Kman101

I'm so on the fence about this. I went to both of the Villains events at DHS years back (the free one, and the ticketed one the year after) and actually had a very good time at both. Though I suppose I'm not a "regular" traveler. I lived in new york state and flew in for the friday the 13th event but I did live here by the villains unleashed and I'm not responsible for smaller life forms (no kids). I'm excited they're doing ANYTHING to do with villains again after so SO many people were so violently angry about the two previous events..but..this doesn't really seem like an event. The art looks cool. Concept and story..a little iffy. But...really a stage show and a DJ party? If it's just paid EMH just...ditch the theme. Or play into the theme and make it something party-like. This middle option is really awkward.

After Hours isn't really an "event" like they claim (90s Night at Disneyland was an "event"). It's paid extra magic hours. This is just a way to get some more money out of folks and use the villains to do so. It's a nice option. I may try it out. Tickets go on sale on the day of my birthday, feels like a sign ;)

The Mom

Premium Member
I originally had a lot to say on this but deleted it all except for the following which I think sums up my overall feelings:

I pay way more money in relative dollars so my son can get farted on by a skunk in Journey Into Your Imagination than my parents paid for me to experience Journey Into Imagination.*

Now apply that same thought to a lot of other aspects of WDW.

As a place that I enjoyed for many years as both a part of my childhood and as an adult, that feels messed up and depressing to me.

*If you've experienced both, you understand exactly what my point is, here. If you haven't, you probably never experienced the "old" WDW which is likely why a lot of this doesn't make sense to you.

Mr Promey has kids?!!! Sorry, off topic. ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom