News Disney Villains After Hours coming to the Magic Kingdom

prberk

I originally had a lot to say on this but deleted it all except for the following which I think sums up my overall feelings:

I pay way more money in relative dollars so my son can get farted on by a skunk in Journey Into Your Imagination than my parents paid for me to experience Journey Into Imagination.*

Now apply that same thought to a lot of other aspects of WDW.

As a place that I enjoyed for many years as both a part of my childhood and as an adult, that feels messed up and depressing to me.

*If you've experienced both, you understand exactly what my point is, here. If you haven't, you probably never experienced the "old" WDW which is likely why a lot of this doesn't make sense to you.

Exactly this. The cost of WDW has gone up exponentially more than inflation, even if you only consider the same types of experiences. The other factor making the comparison worse is that WDW used to be much, much more of an inspiration: in both innovation and attention to detail, as well as constant upkeep. People used to make the point that you would never see a light out on Main Street; and the geeks among us could note the attention to detail and innovative, creative things that blew our minds while also entertaining "the masses."

And all of it was open late in the summer and many other times ... for no additional cost!

Last edited:

KikoKea

We hope to attend the Villains party, and we enjoy MNSSHP enough to go several (2 or 3) times in a visit, and always try to catch a Christmas party. We have a great time in costume at MNSSHP, and we like the special entertainment, the lighting, the fireworks, etc., as well as the whole 'party' vibe. At Christmas, we enjoy the more laid back feeling of the party. We can afford it, we enjoy it. We do not consider them "trash value".

I don't see how this is any different from people who attend a car race or football game, spending hundred of dollars more on a ticket. Obviously, it has value to them- what does it matter to someone else?

Nmoody1

We hope to attend the Villains party, and we enjoy MNSSHP enough to go several (2 or 3) times in a visit, and always try to catch a Christmas party. We have a great time in costume at MNSSHP, and we like the special entertainment, the lighting, the fireworks, etc., as well as the whole 'party' vibe. At Christmas, we enjoy the more laid back feeling of the party. We can afford it, we enjoy it. We do not consider them "trash value".

I don't see how this is any different from people who attend a car race or football game, spending hundred of dollars more on a ticket. Obviously, it has value to them- what does it matter to someone else?

Because a year ago youd have paid for a ticket to experience the whole race. Now you pay up to $150 to see the race but then the end of the race you have to pay extra for or leave.

seascape

Because a year ago youd have paid for a ticket to experience the whole race. Now you pay up to $150 to see the race but then the end of the race you have to pay extra for or leave.
A better example is a day night double header that you have to buy separately. Baseball does it all the time.

seascape

Define "all the time."
All the time means that rather than play a true doubleheader when their is a rainout, they schedule a day night doubleheader. This actually hurts the fans because the day game start time is usually moved up an hour so the fans have to arrive earlier. It can also create a traffic nightmare for those not attending both games.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
All the time means that rather than play a true doubleheader when their is a rainout, they schedule a day night doubleheader. This actually hurts the fans because the day game start time is usually moved up an hour so the fans have to arrive earlier. It can also create a traffic nightmare for those not attending both games.
Yes, I know what a day night double header is. I said define all the time. I can't remember the last time the Mets played one. All the time means all the time.

prberk

Because a full day's admission to the park ought to mean a full day's admission to the park, like it used to. Now it means on "party" days you pay $130+ to get in, but if you want to stay until evening to see fireworks and the park in the cool of the evening, like "normal," you have to pay the same amount again. That is just plain wrong.

peter11435

Because a full day's admission to the park ought to mean a full day's admission to the park, like it used to. Now it means on "party" days you pay $130+ to get in, but if you want to stay until evening to see fireworks and the park in the cool of the evening, like "normal," you have to pay the same amount again. That is just plain wrong.
How is it any different than when you would pay for a day at the park and it closed before dark and or had no scheduled fireworks? Let’s not pretend that prior to the parties he MK was always open late or always had fireworks.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
How is it any different than when you would pay for a day at the park and it closed before dark and or had no scheduled fireworks? Let’s not pretend that prior to the parties he MK was always open late or always had fireworks.
Did the poster say things were perfect before? Or that MK was open till 12a every single night? I don’t think they did. Sweet straw man though.

Kman101

Did I miss where the parks hard close at 9/10pm most nights? Let's not pretend they're regularly open until 1am. I don't love selling the park twice, but let's not pretend they're actually chopping away at hours when they aren't. They aren't posting times until 11 or 12 and then cutting them for After Hours. (And whether you or I think they *should* be open later doesn't mean they do). I've long said regular park hours should be longer, but they aren't.

I know everyone has "their feelings" about this thing, but let's be factual. They aren't generously staying open late that much anymore. So they're not really robbing day guests of anything. IMO, of course :)

I wish it was 10 years ago too. But it's not. Doesn't excuse it. But I try to live in the now, and the current reality is most parks hard close at 9 or 10pm. And they still extend hours.

I can't believe you guys are making me defend them :joyfull:

This company has a lot more problems to focus on than selling the parks a second time. IMO. It's a fad. It'll wear off eventually and they'll find something else. (And if they continue with After Hours, I don't believe they should be close to a full day ticket, IMO ... and I think they could and should do a little more for passholders and DVC with extra hours)

They aren't "required" to keep the parks open past 9 or 10pm. I wish they did but they aren't.

You dislike the selling of the park twice. That's fine. I don't love it either. But they're not posting hours and then robbing guests of a few hours when they weren't closing later anyway. Because they closed at 11 or 12 or 1am 10 years ago doesn't mean they're robbing today's guests of anything. I think focusing on "robbing day guests" is a bit straw man. It's not technically accurate. It's just how some of you view it because years ago the parks closed later and they aren't now. I'll jump on the complaint board when they post a park close at 11/12/1am and then cut it for After Hours. Or if they start hard closing at 6pm. I'll get on board with the "robbing of day guests". We feel entitled to be in the parks later because that's how it used to be. Unfortunately that's not the reality whether you or I think it should be.

Last edited:

peter11435

Did the poster say things were perfect before? Or that MK was open till 12a every single night? I don’t think they did. Sweet straw man though.
The poster said that it should still be a full days admission “like it used to.”

The question is what defines a full days admission?

Some days the park just closed early, some days fireworks were not offered. Are those not full days?

Kman101

The poster said that it should still be a full days admission “like it used to.”

Some days the park just closed early, some days fireworks were not offered. Are those not full days?

Exactly.

"Like it used to" doesn't equal the current reality, as much as we'd all probably like it to. They aren't posting late closings and then taking them away from day guests to do after hours ...

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer

Pedantic.

You know as well as anyone what the poster meant. It used to be when you went to WDW, the vast majority of your vacation you were able to go to the MK at night. Now, for larger portions of the year, that's no longer the case. Disney is selling and reselling the park.

prberk

It has been almost consistently since the 25th anniversary in 1996. And you know that it was open at least until dusk most other times, especially during busy seasons. Every summer for most of its existence, the MK was open until at least 10 for most visitors, without having to pay extra. Heck, the company's film logo centers on castle fireworks, as did The Wonderful World of Disney for over 30 years. It was quite "normal" to think that you would be able to see the MK (or Disneyland in California) at night for most of your vacation.

And during seasonal celebrations you didn't have to pay again to see them. The Christmas parade was held throughout December for all guests, not held out for party guests paying extra.

And even "parties" could be done more like "Howl-O-Scream" at Busch Gardens if they really wanted to. There they charge the same admission all day, having kid-friendly events all day, but after 6:00 you are warned that the scarier events come into play -- giving people a reason to come after work, paying the same price as a day visitor but not kicking out the day visitors who were already there spending money on souvenirs and food. The difference for Disney: double-dipping.

But my overall argument is that for most days, except for the rarest special events, there should be no reason to kick out day visitors at 7:00, especially at today's astronomical admission prices.

Last edited:

Naplesgolfer

It has been almost consistently since the 25th anniversary in 1996. And you know that it was open at least until dusk most other times, especially during busy seasons. Every summer for most of its existence, the MK was open until at least 10 for most visitors, without having to pay extra.

And during seasonal celebrations you didn't have to pay again to see them. The Christmas parade was held throughout December for all guests, not held out for party guests paying extra.

And even "parties" could be done more like "Howl-O-Scream" at Busch Gardens if they really wanted to. There they charge the same admission all day, having kid-friendly events all day, but after 6:00 you are warned that the scarier events come into play -- giving people a reason to come after work, paying the same price as a day visitor but not kicking out the day visitors who were already there spending money on souvenirs and food. The difference for Disney: double-dipping.

But my overall argument is that for most days, except for the rarest special events, there should be no reason to kick out day visitors at 7:00, especially at today's astronomical admission prices.
Disney has decided on a over all level of ticket revenue ( this will continue to rise). Maybe they feel they have less backlash with optional up charge events than they would by raising the regular admission faster to capture that same amount.

peter11435

Pedantic.

You know as well as anyone what the poster meant. It used to be when you went to WDW, the vast majority of your vacation you were able to go to the MK at night. Now, for larger portions of the year, that's no longer the case. Disney is selling and reselling the park.
It’s not pedantic. It’s actually a very important question in this debate.

It used to be that it really depended on WHEN you went to MK. There were stretches where the park was not open later than 6-7 except on weekends.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
It’s not pedantic. It’s actually a very important question in this debate.

It used to be that it really depended on WHEN you went to MK. There were stretches where the park was not open later than 6-7 except on weekends.

MK July Thursdays 2010/11/12/13 and so on....

The park was open till at least 11, and in some cases 1 or 2am. Never 10pm.

You want to tell me that the Magic Kingdom closing at 6pm one time in February 1985 is more relevant? Ok, I guess...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom