Disney Vacation Club Phased Reopening Announcement & Member Services Interpretation

SpaceMountain77

Original Poster
Hi Everyone,

Today, I am writing to share my experience last night with Member Services. Like other members, I received the phased reopening announcement on Wednesday, May 27th at 3:15 PM. The paragraph that most applies to me is copied below:

Finally, as part of our continued efforts to provide flexibility during these uncertain times, we are further changing and extending our temporary policies regarding expiring points. April, June and now August, September and October 2019 Use Year points that are set to expire in 2020 and that were used for reservations during the closure period will be extended for one year from the current expiration date. Additionally, April, June and now August, September and October 2018 Use Year points that were banked into 2019 Use Years and used for these reservations will now all expire November 30, 2020. This temporary policy only includes expiring points that were used to book a stay arriving between March 12 and the end of the closure period and that involve a reservation cancelled after February 29. Additional information on these policies is available at disneyvacationclub.com.

After receiving the email, I tried to contact Member Services. Because of the high call volume, I had to call 35 times, over the past three days, before getting through on Friday, May 29th at 5:42 PM. Earlier Friday morning, I was able to get through at 9:00 AM, but the call was eventually disconnected after 7 minutes of Disney music. Although the wait time was estimated to be 65 minutes, I remained on the call.

For context, I had a May 1st - 10th Standard Studio reservation, at the Villas at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort and Spa, that was made at the 11-month booking window using 54 banked vacation points from my September 2018 Use Year. Because of COVID-19, and the closure of Walt Disney World, the reservation was cancelled. The Member Services representative with whom I spoke returned the borrowed points and suggested that I deposit the 54 banked vacation points with RCI. In my eight years of membership, I have used my points exclusively at Disney Vacation Club properties. Because of my lack of familiarity with RCI, including participating resorts, point requirements, and availability, I declined depositing the 54 points and, instead, booked a Vero Beach Standard Inn Room reservation for August 3rd - August 8th, using the 54 banked vacation points and 23 borrowed points from my September 2020 Use Year. At the time, I booked this reservation based on the Important Reservation Cancelation Updates email, that had been sent by Disney Vacation Club on Tuesday, March 17th at 12:47 PM, and because I did not want to lose my banked points, which expire August 31, 2020, or deposit them with RCI. Bloomburg and Forbes had been reporting a significant closure, possibily through the end of the year, so, at the time, a Vero Beach reservation seemed like a reasonable placeholder and possibility.

I called Member Services because, based on my reading of the Wednesday, May 27th email, believed my 2018 September Use Year points would expire November 30, 2020. The first Member Services representative with whom I spoke said that I did not have an impacted reservation affected by the closure and my points were not eligible for the November 30, 2020 expiry. Although I described how the points were initially used, several times, she asked me if I was asking her to violate policy. Although my point history, accessible through the Disney Vacation Club website, shows a 10-day May reservation, cancelled because of the closure, the use of the banked points results in ineligibility. To be eligible, based our conversation, the points should have either remained in my Disney Vacation Club account or been deposited with RCI. From the first email, on March 17th, through yesterday's communication, there was no reasonable way of knowing that the two aforementioned actions would be necessary to receive the recently announced extension. Also, our conversation seemed to suggest policies in the May 27th email that were not mentioned or highlighted with an asterisk or numeric superscript. I asked to speak with a Manager and was told it would be an 80 minute wait. I decided to wait.

The second Member Services representative with whom I spoke reiterated the words of the previous representative after I first communicated what I had said previously. I became increasingly frustrated on the call because an increasing number of nuances to the May 27th email were being described, which were not communicated to Disney Vacation Club members. Moverover, at this point, the call had exceeded two hours. I was prepared to email Terri Schultz because I had found her email address online and wanted direct clarification and details on all of the policy stipulations and, specifically, the exceptions to the May 27th email that had not been communicated.

During this call, the Manager reiterated that I needed an impacted reservation several times. Because of her emphasis on this wording, I modified my Vero Beach reservation to a Bay Lake Tower Studio Lake reservation for June 7th - June 11th. The online system allowed me to modify the reservation, I received a confirmation number, and it appeared in my dashboard. I told the Manager that I was able to modify my reservation and now had an impacted reservation. She asked me to hold. After about 15 minutes, she returned to the line and said that the reservation was ineligible because the policy stated that reservations had to be affected prior to the time of the May 27th email. The call ended after 2 hours and 47 minutes. I still do not understand all of the exceptions and nuances to the May 27th email.

Please know that I appreciate the unprecedented affect of the COVID-19 pandemic on our society. However, the communications from Disney Vacation Club could have been better. Moreover, regarding clarity, if there are policy exceptions and modifications, they should be communicated, in writing, to members. For those who were eligible for an extension, for example, when are points available for use and can they be applied to an existing reservation made less than 7-months out? If members are posting honestly, then, it seems, experiences are varied.

Last edited:

nickys

Premium Member
Honestly, your post is very confusing.

The gist, as I understand:

- you had a ressie that fell during the closure period

- it was cancelled. You don’t say who cancelled it (you or DVC) and when?

- you do mention talking to MS (again, when?) who returned your borrowed points (tick) and suggested putting the expiring ones into RCI. That was what they suggested when this all kicked off and have since allowed people to take them back.

- so instead you booked Vero Beach in Auguust. But when did you book it?

- And then you called MS when another policy change happened.

- And what did you want to do? Cancel Vero? If so, why? I mean, you booked it, why would you book it if you didn’t want to stay there, so what dId you want to happen?

- And then you decided, in frustration, to cancel it and book a stay at WDW. That was a daft move, you were booking a stay now knowing the resorts were going to be open. And right from the start the policy changes oBly ever applied to stays booked before each policy change took effect. So it wasn’t ever going to work.

So what now?

To be honest, once you booked Vero you had a viable reservation. But when you phoned MS I assume you wanted to cancel and have your points extended so you could book something at WDW in the Fall. You might have had a chance of that had you emailed then and left Vero as was.

You could still try. They can see the history of your reservations. But you need to be much clearer in your email, write it when you’re calm and use bullet points. Leave out the quotes from the emails. And know what you want to happen. Your last paragraph needs to state that clearly and unequivocally. And courteously.

SpaceMountain77

Original Poster
Honestly, your post is very confusing.

The gist, as I understand:

- you had a ressie that fell during the closure period

- it was cancelled. You don’t say who cancelled it (you or DVC) and when?

- you do mention talking to MS (again, when?) who returned your borrowed points (tick) and suggested putting the expiring ones into RCI. That was what they suggested when this all kicked off and have since allowed people to take them back.

- so instead you booked Vero Beach in Auguust. But when did you book it?

- And then you called MS when another policy change happened.

- And what did you want to do? Cancel Vero? If so, why? I mean, you booked it, why would you book it if you didn’t want to stay there, so what dId you want to happen?

- And then you decided, in frustration, to cancel it and book a stay at WDW. That was a daft move, you were booking a stay now knowing the resorts were going to be open. And right from the start the policy changes oBly ever applied to stays booked before each policy change took effect. So it wasn’t ever going to work.

So what now?

To be honest, once you booked Vero you had a viable reservation. But when you phoned MS I assume you wanted to cancel and have your points extended so you could book something at WDW in the Fall. You might have had a chance of that had you emailed then and left Vero as was.

You could still try. They can see the history of your reservations. But you need to be much clearer in your email, write it when you’re calm and use bullet points. Leave out the quotes from the emails. And know what you want to happen. Your last paragraph needs to state that clearly and unequivocally. And courteously.

There have been several conversations on the DVC Disboards regarding the email that had been sent on Wednesday afternoon because significant details are missing. Members, including myself, have spent hours on the phone trying to understand policy nuances that could have been detailed in the initial email or a follow-up email to members with affected use years.

It seems, based on reported comments, that extended points are gifted developer points with imposed restrictions that make them more difficult to use within the established window. Moreover, individuals with affected reservations are reporting differing outcomes with Member Services.

So, at present, there is an undisclosed exceptions document that is being differentially interpreted by Member Services.

Club Cooloholic

What I would like to know, is for those with later reservations, are they going to cancel some to keep the amount of guests limited? If we have a reservation, are we going to be able to buy park tickets and get in the parks?

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
There have been several conversations on the DVC Disboards regarding the email that had been sent on Wednesday afternoon because significant details are missing. Members, including myself, have spent hours on the phone trying to understand policy nuances that could have been detailed in the initial email or a follow-up email to members with affected use years.

It seems, based on reported comments, that extended points are gifted developer points with imposed restrictions that make them more difficult to use within the established window. Moreover, individuals with affected reservations are reporting differing outcomes with Member Services.

So, at present, there is an undisclosed exceptions document that is being differentially interpreted by Member Services.
So are you saying that the banked 2018 points were developer points?

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
What I would like to know, is for those with later reservations, are they going to cancel some to keep the amount of guests limited? If we have a reservation, are we going to be able to buy park tickets and get in the parks?
Since DVC members aren’t restricted from making new reservations, why would you even think that they are all of a sudden going to start canceling some????
Disney said that existing ticket holders get first crack at park reservations, so we’ll have to wait and see what happens when they reopen ticket sales.
When is your reservation?

Club Cooloholic

Since DVC members aren’t restricted from making new reservations, why would you even think that they are all of a sudden going to start canceling some????
Disney said that existing ticket holders get first crack at park reservations, so we’ll have to wait and see what happens when they reopen ticket sales.
When is your reservation?
Thanksgiving....light crowds NOT expected :)

SpaceMountain77

Original Poster
So are you saying that the banked 2018 points were developer points?

April, June, August, September, and October use years, with qualified, affected reservations, because of the closure, using 2018 banked points will see their points expire at the end of their use year. The next day, the same number of expired points will be matched with gifted developer points. Although not communicated in writing, members are reporting that the gifted points are developer points from Aulani and the Riviera.

Club Cooloholic

April, June, August, September, and October use years, with qualified, affected reservations, because of the closure, using 2018 banked points will see their points expire at the end of their use year. The next day, the same number of expired points will be matched with gifted developer points. Although not communicated in writing, members are reporting that the gifted points are developer points from Aulani and the Riviera.
hmm so would those developer points have the 7 month restriction for your own home resort to occur? I guess it doesn't matter since they will all be expired at the end of 2020 right?

SpaceMountain77

Original Poster
hmm so would those developer points have the 7 month restriction for your own home resort to occur? I guess it doesn't matter since they will all be expired at the end of 2020 right?

All points expire on November 30, 2020 and, once gifted, cannot be reallocated for an existing reservation. For a September use year, for example, a new reservation could be made as soon as September 1, 2020.

Three month window, subject to availability.

Club Cooloholic

All points expire on November 30, 2020 and, once gifted, cannot be reallocated for an existing reservation. For a September use year, for example, a new reservation could be made as soon as September 1, 2020.

That's not going to be too useful to many people.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
The reason I asked if they were developer points is the following from the DVC website:

• In addition, to better support Member availability, Disney Vacation Club is not eligible to use the 6-month extension on previously banked developer Points.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
They would have the normal 11 month home resort and 7 month other resort rules. If banked, then that changes the rules, as stated on their website. They will not be extended like regular points.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member

Better than the 60 day window for points in holding, though still restrictive.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I disagree also, September is much too fast for all restrictions to be gone.
Not sure why you think that. Almost everywhere is already in phase 2, and phase 3 can happen in just a few weeks, which removes a lot of restrictions. The alleged experts predicted a month ago that we would be in the midst of an even worse 2nd outbreak, and that simply hasn’t happened. So yes, at this time with what we are seeing, all restrictions will be gone, probably in July or early August.

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

All dining canceled for our NOV trip.
No extension of our Gold Pass, EXP 5-27-2020.
No ability to bank stolen points, APR 2020 use year.

We canceled for NOV. All 2021 now. But seriously considering selling all contracts, for $1 per point.
There is no WDW. Just a promise of WDW. Maybe.

PS - anyone know a graceful way to just surrender a DVC contract to WDW?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom