Disney Vacation Club - Is It A Good Deal?

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Original Poster
My wife and I requested information on the Disney Vacation Club. Based on my review, I do not see where you benefite from "owning" a piece of the resort.

Where am I missing the boat?

DisneyPhD

This topic is rather an ongoing debat on this board. Mostly between the DVC members who think it is great(last count was around 50, but many are new members or lurkers) and the non DVC members, who don't see the advantages of it. Sometimes it depends on how you do the math or what kind of WDW vacation you want. I got to admit there was a time I didn't see the value in it either, one of the reasons I didn't join sooner. It rather is a lifestye once you figure it out. But then again WDW is a lifestye so it fits for us.

For someone who goes every once in a while, and only wants to stay at a value resort, it is cheaper to find codes or deals. Also with an AP and some luck you can find some good deals at other resorts, but then again you might not, and the prices are always going up. DVC is locked in. (Dues can raise some, but not much.)

For people who go often, plan to go often and want to stay at Deluxe resorts with better then Deluxe accomodations, DVC is great. It also depends if you can aford the buy in amount right now. It is a pay off in the long run. You pay your 14,000 or up buy in now, and then for around 700 or more (or less depending on how many points you have and where) you have your accomodations for vacations paid for for the next 40 to 50 years.

I am happy we bought when we did. I was laid off last year, and while our family can live on only hubby's income, I stay at home now, my income was for the fun things in our lives. Because we already owned DVC, less income does not mean we have to give up our annual (sometimes more) vacations to WDW.

Depends on how you look at it. There are few threads about this going on. Check them out.
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=45205&highlight=DVC

If you are interested also look at www.disboards.com under the DVC forum.

goofyman

DisneyPhD said:
This topic is rather an ongoing debat on this board. Mostly between the DVC members who think it is great(last count was around 50, but many are new members or lurkers) and the non DVC members, who don't see the advantages of it. Sometimes it depends on how you do the math or what kind of WDW vacation you want. I got to admit there was a time I didn't see the value in it either, one of the reasons I didn't join sooner. It rather is a lifestye once you figure it out. But then again WDW is a lifestye so it fits for us.

For someone who goes every once in a while, and only wants to stay at a value resort, it is cheaper to find codes or deals. Also with an AP and some luck you can find some good deals at other resorts, but then again you might not, and the prices are always going up. DVC is locked in. (Dues can raise some, but not much.)

For people who go often, plan to go often and want to stay at Deluxe resorts with better then Deluxe accomodations, DVC is great. It also depends if you can aford the buy in amount right now. It is a pay off in the long run. You pay your 14,000 or up buy in now, and then for around 700 or more (or less depending on how many points you have and where) you have your accomodations for vacations paid for for the next 40 to 50 years.

I am happy we bought when we did. I was laid off last year, and while our family can live on only hubby's income, I stay at home now, my income was for the fun things in our lives. Because we already owned DVC, less income does not mean we have to give up our annual (sometimes more) vacations to WDW.

Depends on how you look at it. There are few threads about this going on. Check them out.
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=45205&highlight=DVC

If you are interested also look at www.disboards.com under the DVC forum.

I have to agree totaly here. I would have bought sooner also and it all depends ON YOU>>> :sohappy: We LOVE IT

Woody13

It all depends. I consider the DVC to be a money pit but some people like the idea of buying a long term lease at rack rate. However, I have looked at the DVC since its inception (even rent points sometimes) and for me and my family, its not a good deal.

I do not want (or need) to wash laundry or prepare meals while I'm on vacation. I do want "mousekeepers" every day. I use a Disney Resort as a place to shower, sleep and change clothes. In all the many years I have visited WDW, I have never paid the rack rate for a resort room. Also, when I have rented DVC points, I have never paid the "customary" $10.00 per point, because they're are just too many "distressed" points up for rental.

Another problem with the DVC (IMHO) is that you now have to buy a 50 year contract! Sorry, but I don't know anyone who can plan that far out! Things change and the DVC contract is far too inflexible. We had Disney Resort reservations back in September, but had to cancel our trip due to hurricane Ivan. We got a full refund. A couple of years ago we had to cancel a Disney trip due to a family crisis. Again, we got a full refund. With a DVC contract, you must do something with those points (trade, rent or bank them), or you loose them! No more than three years of points can be combined at any one time. There are time limits on when banking is allowed, and once banked or borrowed, points cannot be returned to their original use year.

Another factor is that WDW resorts (and Orlando resorts) are way overbuilt. Even during the high visitation periods, you can still find a room. Disney Resorts are seldom (if ever) sold out. I visit during the "value" seasons so resort rooms are easy to find and discounts abound.

In short, why would I want to buy a DVC contract and pay the DVC rack rate (plus finance charges) when I can either rent DVC points at a discount or stay at a regular Disney resort at a discount? :wave:

J

joviacdan

Woody13 said:
It all depends. I consider the DVC to be a money pit but some people like the idea of buying a long term lease at rack rate. However, I have looked at the DVC since its inception (even rent points sometimes) and for me and my family, its not a good deal.

I do not want (or need) to wash laundry or prepare meals while I'm on vacation. I do want "mousekeepers" every day. I use a Disney Resort as a place to shower, sleep and change clothes. In all the many years I have visited WDW, I have never paid the rack rate for a resort room. Also, when I have rented DVC points, I have never paid the "customary" $10.00 per point, because they're are just too many "distressed" points up for rental.

Another problem with the DVC (IMHO) is that you now have to buy a 50 year contract! Sorry, but I don't know anyone who can plan that far out! Things change and the DVC contract is far too inflexible. We had Disney Resort reservations back in September, but had to cancel our trip due to hurricane Ivan. We got a full refund. A couple of years ago we had to cancel a Disney trip due to a family crisis. Again, we got a full refund. With a DVC contract, you must do something with those points (trade, rent or bank them), or you loose them! No more than three years of points can be combined at any one time. There are time limits on when banking is allowed, and once banked or borrowed, points cannot be returned to their original use year.

Another factor is that WDW resorts (and Orlando resorts) are way overbuilt. Even during the high visitation periods, you can still find a room. Disney Resorts are seldom (if ever) sold out. I visit during the "value" seasons so resort rooms are easy to find and discounts abound.

In short, why would I want to buy a DVC contract and pay the DVC rack rate (plus finance charges) when I can either rent DVC points at a discount or stay at a regular Disney resort at a discount? :wave:

I gotta agree with this poster 100%. No doubt, it obviously pays off for some, but I can't ever find the benefit for myself and my family no matter how I do the math.

I stayed as a DVC member renting someone else's points on my last trip, and I will NEVER do it again.

MissM

I don't see the perk. It's just tens of thousands of dollars. I'd never use up that much worth of vacation in a year so it'd never be worth it even on an annual basis. To me, I don't even come close to comprehending how people think it's a good deal, though I guess situations varry and someone must like it, but not me.
-m

WDWFREAK53

IMHO...if I was taking a family...I'd buy one annual pass, book the room with the AP rate...then buy hoppers for the rest of the family (if only going once in that year). I can't see the perk in having a DVC membership. (If you go through some other Timeshare deals...the DVC resorts are "trade-off" resorts...Like, my parents have a timeshare on Cape Cod...but they trade off all the time and can choose the Boardwalk, Old Key West, etc...as long as they are available).

ZHoyt

For us, it has been a wonderful deal. We were at a point where we needed three rooms each time we stayed. Even with AP discounts, a room at the Beach Club or Boardwalk (our preferred resorts) is $250 a night. Multiply that by three and you get $750 a night. Stay four nights and that equals $3000+. Now mathimatically if we are spending that much on hotels a trip, we can't afford to go often. But if we buy in to DVC at a lump sum (today which would cost $14,000), it only takes 5 years for those points to pay themselves off. That leaves the rest of the years to be free vacations. That's a lot of years of virtually free accomodations. Not to mention very nice accomodations. People complain about not needing laundry or a kitchen. We don't really use these. But we DEFINATELY enjoy the whirlpool bath and nice stand alone shower, not to mention the large ammount of space.

For a family that only spends a few hundred a trip on hotel, maybe it isn't so great. For us, it was a godsend that turned what was going to be a final WDW trip for many many years into a yearly (and more) tradition.

As for not being able to plan for 50 years, we can't either. But if things ever change and we don't want them, we can always sell them.

tiggerlover1971

Is it true that you have to give it back to Disney after a certain amount of time or if you die it goes right back to Disney ? I have heard that and I know on other time shares they usually go to the children if you die

artvandelay

tiggerlover1971 said:
Is it true that you have to give it back to Disney after a certain amount of time or if you die it goes right back to Disney ? I have heard that and I know on other time shares they usually go to the children if you die

With the exception of Saratoga Springs, your ownership interest in DVC expires in 2042. Saratoga Springs expires in 2054. You can pass on your interest to your heirs, as long as it's before 2042 or 2054

What I like about DVC is the ability to take family along to Disney w/o having them pay for their room. I can go with my wife and son and still have my sister come with her family and easily fit in a 2 BR villa. Also, we plan on giving my parents and my in laws for Christmas 4 nights in studio whenever they want to go.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Original Poster
So you basically get a certain number points which renew each year? With the points that renew, in general, how many nights can you stay each year, excluding purchasing additional points?

mickeyfanatics

hakunamatata said:
So you basically get a certain number points which renew each year? With the points that renew, in general, how many nights can you stay each year, excluding purchasing additional points?

With the standard points, you can stay for about 12 or 13 nights in a studio room. However, if you can plan around the weekends and go Sun-Thurs nights, you can get about 20 nights for the same amount of points. The key to DVC and they only way it is a "good value" is being able to vacation at the cheaper times of the year and not stay on Friday or Saturday night. That is how we have made ours work well. We are planning on taking 12 people to Hilton Head Island next summer for about 200 points. Those rooms alone would cost far more than what we pay. Another thing I like is there is NO SALES TAX or HOTEL TAX. It Florida and California it can cost you up to 18%. Yeah, I pay interest, but it is tax deductible. Sales tax is not. We stayed at the Grand Californian in March for about $250/night and no tax using our points.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Original Poster
I finally sat down and took the time to read the entire packet. If my wife and I lived close enough where we could drive in for the Sunday through Thursday thing a number of times throughout the year, it would be an awsome deal, but living in Texas, its a 19 hour drive and too expensive to fly regularly.

Anyway, I am planning on retireing in about 30 years and moving to Florida anyway so I can drive busses for Disney....... :sohappy: :sohappy:

P.S. thanks for all the infor and advise, I really appreciate it :sohappy: :sohappy:

DisneyPhD

A few points:

Not staying Fri Sat is a good way to save money, but not all DVC members do that. We often do a studio fri-sat and then a one bedroom the rest of the week. Most people who don't do fir sat nights are those who own less then 200 points. That is why you find people with 300 plus points. They don't want to change or want 2 bedrooms, a few times a year.

If you cancel DVC points, you get them back. But once reserved they have to be used by the end of your use year, you can't bank them again. So if your use year is Aug, you cancel a trip in Aug, you might have a problem. Hasn't been one for us, nor do I see it happening.

Miss M, you dont' see the value in it, because you don't understand it. You don't use tens of thousands of dollars worth of vacation in a year. That is over 40 or 50 years, depending on your contract (explained before). You have to add it all up, (the buy in plus 40 years of dues and divide it.) There is your annual vacation cost. For people who live more of a paycheck to paycheck type life, it isn't good for you.

It can be passed down to family members, but it expires when it exprires.

Why buy at a different time share, if you want to stay at Disney? The most cost effective way is to buy where you want to go, and then once in a while use it for another place. (and the most likely you will get what you want when you want it.)

mickeyfanatics has a great point with the sales tax. I love checking out and having a big 0 for your room.

I think Woody13 and I have agreed not to agree on this point! :hammer: I do admit he has done the research and it is one example of it not being the best choice for an person. All depends on you. Get all the right facts 1st. Most people who don't see the value in it, don't fully understand it.

BTW, we live far away and it is worth it too us (even with airfare, we have had good luck with Spirt Airlines). But with out DVC we would be going annually anyway. This way we can go even more often.

I wonder if Disney will still be using busses in 30 years. (but I am sure there will aways be jobs for retired people to do.)

DisneyPhD

All right, how is this for a comparison. I went back and calculated how much we “paid” for our last four DVC trips. Keep in mind this is JUST accommodations, no park tix or anything else is included. For 7 nights at BCV + 10 nights OKW + 6 nights VWL + 5 nights VB the grand total including annual dues is $2700. So 28 nights in deluxe hotels (20 nights in studio and 8 nights in 1BR) comes to an average of $96 per night and I didn’t have to use AP discounts or codes!
Our last trip BEFORE DVC, we stayed at Polynesian with a code in value season for $189 per night + tax. We’ve also stayed at AKL one night for with an annual pass rate for $129 per night + tax.
Can you stay cheaper? Of course, right now there’s a code for All-Stars for $59 per night + tax. Can you book that price for next March? Not in October (not much flexibility there) Will you still be able to get that in 10 years? I doubt it. The point prices for the DVC hotels are locked in for 40 years. The dues are not locked but the increases have been significantly less than the increases for the rack room rates at the non-DVC hotels.

Here’s how I did the calculation if you’re interested. Keep in mind if you bought today at Saratoga Springs, the buy-in amount is different, the length of the contract is now 50 years and the dues are different than my estimate (but not by much)

170 points for 40 years (we bought in 2002) = 6800 points total.
Amount paid approx $12,000. So each point = $1.76
Dues are about $3.50 (estimate) per point per year.
Total cost per point per year = $5.26
Points used on first 4 trips = 509. So total cost = $2677.34
Cost per night = $2677.34 / 28nights = $95.61 average per night (studios less, 1BR more)

Some other examples of room “rates” with DVC.

Beach Club or Wilderness Lodge Studio Easter week or Christmas Week(Premier Season) Sunday –Thursday is 19 points per night. That would “cost” us about $100 per night. Friday and Saturday would be $200 per night (that’s one of the drawbacks but it keeps the “locals” from booking all the rooms on the weekend). This is the most expensive season at the most expensive DVC resorts.

Old Key West Studio during March Spring Break 109 points per week. “Cost” = $573.34 or $82 per night average (less on M-Th, more on F-Sat)

DisneyPhD

hakunamatata said:
Update........we joined.........

:sohappy:

Great we are so happy for you, :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :p :kiss:

Welcome home, remember members are magical!!!!!

We are staying at a non DVC for the 1st time since joining (leaving in just 2 days). PORS (haven't been there since it was DL.) Anyway we will be going to Vero Beach, so at least we get some DVC time in!!!

Congradulations again! Where did you buy and how much? When is your next trip?

dcaffey

Welcome Home!

I usually avoid these "Is DVC worth it" debates because some of those opposed to membership get so fired up about it.

I want to tell you however, it's been the greatest thing we've done. This past March we were able to take - for the 2nd time - another family of 5 plus our 3 and spend 9 days at WDW. There's no way that other family would ever be able to afford to go and stay in a deluxe resort.

No question in my mind that in just 6 years it has more than paid for itself.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom